Start by marking “The Inner World of Farm Animals: Their Amazing Intellectual, Emotional and Social Capacities” as Want to Read:

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  261 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Chickens can count. Pigs are smarter than poodles. Cows form close friendships. Turkeys know one another by their voices, and sheep recognize faces—of other sheep, and of people. Far from lacking thoughts and feelings, barnyard creatures demonstrate sophisticated problem-solving abilities, possess rich social lives, and feel a wide range of emotions. In other words, they’r ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about The Inner World of Farm Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inner World of Farm Animals

Lisa Vegan
Sep 27, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody!; anyone who has ever known & loved a non-human animal
Recommended to Lisa by: Chrissie
I cannot sufficiently extol the contents of this book. I’ve read so many animal books over the years, but this one presents a truly unique perspective. The photos are exquisite. The information provided is important. The book is truly inspirational. It’s full of happy stories of animals living in sanctuaries and therefore living lives normal for them, and it was disturbing only when I considered (which I couldn’t help thinking about) how these animals are normally treated.

I received this book as
Sep 10, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
This was definitely not a book written for someone like me, and yet I loved parts of it. The book's premise is that farm animals are so much more complex and intelligent than we previously thought, so we should stop using cruel and inhumane methods to raise them for food. I know I can't speak for all farmers, but as the daughter of one, I can tell you that my dad has always said a happy healthy animal is ultimately a more profitable one when it comes time to sell. But I guess if you're a vegetar ...more
Ginny Messina
Oct 27, 2009 Ginny Messina rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! The pictures of former farm animals now living in sanctuaries are just exquisite. The text shares their stories as well as research into the habits, emotions and intellects of different animals. (Who knew that ducks have regional accents?) It's a fast read--about an hour--except that every photo is such a delight that it's kind of hard to turn the page.

This is a perfect gift for anyone who loves animals and particularly for someone who needs a little nudge toward ethical eatin
Peacegal
Mar 29, 2016 Peacegal rated it really liked it
When animal advocates talk about farm animals, it is usually in the context of the suffering these animals endure. However, there's a flipside to all of this that deserves to be heard--who these animals are, and how they behave in situations where their personalities can shine through--such as at a farm sanctuary.

Packed with beautiful, color photos and stories that range from illuminating to adorable, this is the perfect book to share with "don't tell me that!" omnivores. Through a combination
Amanda
Jul 31, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
The truth is, animals are magnificent creatures. And they are endlessly fascinating. But unfortunately, we tend to take them for granted. We underestimate them because, frankly, we don’t really know them.

In The Inner World Of Farm Animals, Amy Hatkoff reintroduces us to our fellow animal friends, inviting us into their worlds and reminding us that they are not merely somethings, but someones. The book’s pages are full of gorgeous photographs of farm animals, including chickens, turkeys, geese, c
Wendy Wagner
May 29, 2015 Wendy Wagner rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
A charming work that explores advances in animal intelligence and communication. It also includes ADORABLE photos and lots of cute anecdotes. Every page tugs the heart strings, and the prose is accessible and engaging. A great entry into animal minds.
Joanna
Aug 13, 2009 Joanna rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Absolutely phenomenal photographs abound. Intensely cute stories about adorable animals are scattered among the photographs. Among those are short narrative blurbs describing the results of various studies showing that these animals are smart, sociable, have feelings, learn, and are generally all around awesome. It's a powerful arguement for veganism, or at the very least "humanely raised" farm animals. I found myself wishing for more substance but I did enjoy this.
Kerrilee
Sep 01, 2014 Kerrilee rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
2.5 stars, if I could.
I want to like this book more, but... I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not the target audience for it. (And part of my rating is that I don't know who is the target audience for this book. People who like pictures of animals? People who are grappling with the morality of eating animals? People in cities who have never been near animals?)
The book has these heavyweight thinkers supporting it - foreword by Jane Goodall, blurbs by Temple Grandin and Dan Barber, etc. - but flits
Roots & Shoots
Apr 20, 2011 Roots & Shoots rated it it was amazing
This article was published on the website for Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots.

Roots & Shoots Book Club: The Inner World of Farm Animals

Can a sheep tell you apart from your friends? Can chickens help with your math homework?

Amy Hatkoff¿s The Inner World of Farm Animals uses the latest research to answer these and other questions about our barnyard friends.

Just like Dr. Jane's research at Gombe Stream National Park taught us that chimpanzees are smart, curious and have their own personaliti
Maria
Sep 25, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it
This book presented how farm animals respond emotionally and intellectually with the world around them. It is very easy to read with the text interspersed with beautiful photography. After reading the text, the reader is left with little doubt as to how similar animals and humans are in their desire to form relationships and to be treated with kindness and respect. There are many delightful examples of animals' personalities shining through with my favourite stories being those of inter-species ...more
Lily So-too
May 08, 2011 Lily So-too rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I found this book used at Ravenna Third Place Books
and knew that I would give in to my book addiction & buy it
when I read this sentence:

"Research shows that cows enjoy solving problems."

It goes on to say that some young cows had accelerated heart rates and some of them even jumped when they successfully learned to unlatch a gate to get food. Other cows in a test group that could just get to the food without unlatching the gate, did not show a change in their behavior or heart rate.

This book
Christine
Jan 16, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book should be compulsory reading for all carnivores!
Savannah Avery
Jun 10, 2016 Savannah Avery rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars! It was beautiful. I loved this book so much! Everyone needs to read this book. I'm a big animal rights advocate and I'm also a vegetarian, so I know a lot about the farm animal rights movement, however this book gave me a look into the actual animals that I'm trying to fight for. This book taught me so much about their personalities and intelligence. I had no idea how smart animals are and how much emotion they have.

Everyone needs to read this book, I recommend it to e
Miranda
Dec 17, 2010 Miranda rated it it was amazing
This book is full of amazing examples of how animals are individuals with emotions, personalities, complex social structures and intellect. I adored it. Since I've read a lot on animal behaviour, none of the research findings cited in this book surprised me but I had my firm beliefs about animals reconfirmed. This would be a good book for someone new to animals rights and/or vegetarianism...but I also gained somethings from the stories along the way. A good read...prepare to cry!
Elizabeth
Nov 21, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Goats are the animals that act most like dogs.

Sheep can read and respond to emotional cues from both human and sheep faces.

Cows have excellent memories.

Pigs are smarter than dogs.

Turkeys are affectionate with humans.

The avian brain is similar to the human brain and processes information in much the same way.

The photos in this book are some of the best I have ever seen.
lighthousefarmsanctuary.org
Patti
Jan 07, 2010 Patti rated it really liked it
There's not a lot of text in this book, but that's okay. There are plenty of books and other sources that can give you miles and miles of information. It does have beautiful, true life stories of the interactions between some farm animals. Short, simple stories that speak volumes. And without lecturing. The touching and exquisite photographs perfectly capture each creature's reverence for life.
Jessica
Aug 10, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Not quite as in-depth as other titles I've read. The books of Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson go much further. Still, I appreciate that the author was trying to make a difficult subject (difficult in that many people still don't think animals have intelligence or emotions, or they don't want to think so because of the implications) more approachable. The photographs are beautiful and engaging.
Judy
Apr 20, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book -- well written, informative, lovely photos, good layout -- and interesting! Farm animals are sentient beings and why some scientists do not want to believe this fact is beyond me. Amy has both anecdotal and scientific information to demonstrate that farm animals are just as aware as our household pets. I recommend this book to everyone!
Gaille
Sep 28, 2011 Gaille rated it liked it
An easy read with lots of beautiful photos, quotes, and true stories! The book is about how researchers have found out that other living creatures have cognitive abilities. I actually found the little snippets of true stories to have affected me more than the research. This book is good but I believe there are better books out there.
Natalie
Mar 07, 2010 Natalie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I think it's important for people to think about where their food comes from, and how the animals are treated before they hit your dinner plate. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat a lot of meat, and when I do, I buy local, organic meat from humanely-raised animals.

The photos are lovely too.
Catarina
Jul 22, 2012 Catarina rated it it was amazing
I liked this, even though I am not a vegan. It made me re-think eating meat, and was a fascinating perspektive about how sentient the animals around us really are, how can we kill and eat them without beeing evil?....we cant...and that is worth pondering over.
Michelle
Jan 09, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
i liked the little personal stories about the emotional and sweet connections between animals, but the rest was eh. Felt like they were telling me these big facts about the inner complicated minds of animals without really giving me any facts.. cute photos though!
Kris
Jan 05, 2011 Kris rated it liked it
Who knew that chickens were capable of affection or that turkeys could dance and entertain folks? This tell all book about the lives of farm animals was a quick and fascinating read. I enjoyed the lay-out of the book as well.
Margaret
Jan 07, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book. Anyone who thinks animals don't "feel" should take a look! I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone with a love of animals.
Lee
Nov 01, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lee by: Lisa Vegan
This is a beautiful book full of surprising facts about the cognitive abilities and emotional lives of farm animals. I was very moved by many of the heartwarming stories.
Becky
Feb 18, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Amazing how we underestimate all creatures excpet for ourselves for their capacity to think, feel and form relationships. Take a bite out of that burger why don't you.
Nadin Boegelsack
Nov 24, 2014 Nadin Boegelsack rated it it was ok
I expected more of this book. It's mainly anecdotal and only scratches the surface, but the pictures are amazing and it's quite amusing overall.
Aubrey
Oct 11, 2010 Aubrey rated it did not like it
Mostly pictures and very little writing. I did enjoy what I did read.
Brian Stillman
Nov 17, 2009 Brian Stillman rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
The book that made me stop eating chicken and turkey for good.
Sarah Vanden Bosch
Aug 07, 2009 Sarah Vanden Bosch rated it it was amazing
Super easy read, extremely interesting. Everyone should read it!!
  • Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds About Animals and Food
  • The Pig Who Sang to the Moon: The Emotional World of Farm Animals
  • Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Bond: Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • The Emotional Lives of Animals: A Leading Scientist Explores Animal Joy, Sorrow, and Empathy - and Why They Matter
  • Animal Ingredients A to Z
  • Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • The PETA Practical Guide to Animal Rights: Simple Acts of Kindness to Help Animals in Trouble
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
  • Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others
  • In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave