Start by marking “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  82,117 Ratings  ·  4,984 Reviews
Considered to be one of Agatha Christie's most controversial mysteries, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd breaks all the rules of traditional mystery writing.

The peaceful English village of King’s Abbot is stunned. First, the attractive widows Ferrars dies from an overdose of veronal. Not twenty-four hours later, Roger Ackroyd—the man she had planned to marry—is murdered. It is
Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Belle Haliday
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer Oberth I would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished…moreI would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished reading 'Mousetrap' and had no problem following everything and I didn't struggle to do so. I highly recommend Agatha Christie.

And don't watch that 'Doctor Who' episode until you've read 'Murder on the Orient Express' - spoilers.(less)

Mohammed Arabey
Sep 16, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arabic/English Review

في 15 سبتمبر/عيد ميلاد ملكة الجريمة، ذات أعلي مبيعات لمؤلفة في التاريخ، والتي جعلت أجيال "حرفيا; تذكر ما ذكرته بريفيو سابق عن أنها مؤلفة والدتي المفضلة" تخمن دائما من الفاعل

في 16 سبتمبر/جودريدز يرشح لي تلك الرواية كأكبر مفاجأة بنهايتها

في 17 سبتمبر/تم العثور علي السيد روجر أكرويد مقتولا

وفي 18 سبتمبر دخل المحقق بوارو، وأنضممت معه لمرافقة دكتور شيبارد وأخته الرائعة كارولين ببلدة كينجز أبوت الصغيرة
في قصة حزينة..قاسية وقبيحة مشوقة وجميلة!؟
“The truth, however ugly in itself, is a
Madeline
Jun 04, 2010 Madeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into this book with a bit of an attitude. Roger Ackroyd is the only Agatha Christie book featured on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, and I was skeptical about the List's claim that this was the only Christie book worth reading. But, as much as it pains me to say this, I think the List is right on this one. At least a little - I'm definitely not suggesting that you should read this book and then never pick up a Christie novel ever again, but if you find yourself in a s ...more
Brina
I read mysteries in between denser reads and Dame Christie never disappoints me. As in all of her cases involving Inspector Hercule Poirot, Christie unearths layer upon layer of the case, leaving her readers guessing until the very end. Just when you think whodunit, she throws in a twist by revealing a key clue that only Poirot could have thought of. Occasionally, I guess the criminal, but other times I am left stumped. This time, in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Christie leaves me hanging until ...more
Arah-Lynda
Aug 12, 2016 Arah-Lynda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers Everywhere
Shelves: top, i-said, paperwhite
Wow just Wow! Agatha Christie had me from the first page, hook line & sinker and she never lost my attention until the very end. No wonder this is considered to be one of her very best.

I do not want to say too much about this book, I mean the title pretty much tells you what it is about and to go too much further into any details runs the risk of spoilers. If there are others out there, like me, who are late in the game of reading this I do not want to spoil that experience for them in any w
Ebookwormy1
Mar 20, 2008 Ebookwormy1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Just finished a re-read of this classic. I remember the first time I read it, the twist at the end knocked my socks off! My second thought was: "Agatha Christie understands evil in a way that is a little frightening!"

This time through, I remembered how it turns out (which is not always the case!), and was able to watch the clues with the murderer in mind. An astonishingly masterful piece of work.

When it was first published, in 1926, this book caused quite a stir, because no one had ever used thi
Sanjay Gautam
Jan 17, 2015 Sanjay Gautam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mystery that lasts till the last page and ends with an unprecedented plot twist.

One of the favorite books that I read in 2015. Nothing much can be said about the story or plot, or anything for that matter, without dropping a major spoiler. But trust me, it's bloody clever. Agatha Christie will leave you dazzled. One of her finest.

Highly Recommended!
Bill  Kerwin
Jun 15, 2007 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This Hercule Poirot is a genuine tour de force, for a very good reason that you completely understand as soon as you finish reading it.
mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a country doctor living in a cozy English village - and your friend has been murdered! Suspects abound. Whispers and secrets and dastardly blackmail surround you. Your sister prattles on. The situation becomes increasingly aggravating and even worse, your nosy and very foreign neighbor decides to make your private business his own. His bizarre Belgian behavior soon becomes quite intolerable. Whatever is a country doctor to do?

If you decide to take a nice long tr
Nikoleta
Feb 13, 2016 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
Η αλήθεια είναι πως έχω συναντηθεί με την Αγκάθα Κρίστι και στο παρελθόν, αλλά μπορώ να πω, πως μόνο αυτές τις ημέρες την γνώρισα. Ο λόγος είναι ότι όταν την διάβασα στην προεφηβεία, το τελευταίο πράγμα που είχα στο μυαλό μου είναι να λύνω φόνους. Και έτσι στο πέρασμα του χρόνου την λησμόνησα και την περιφρόνησα. Όταν πριν λίγες μέρες έπεσε στα χέρια μου ένα βιβλίο της και δέχτηκα να το διαβάσω, έπαθα πλάκα. Η Κρίστι είναι σαν την ηρωίνη, έτσι και πέσεις σε ένα βιβλίο της θα θες κι άλλο. Δεν το ...more
Araz Goran
لا شك أن هذه الرواية هي من أجمل وأغرب وأعقد ما قرأت لأجاثا..
النهاية كانت صادمة وخارجة عن كل التوقعات , وكان التشويق سيد الموقف في كل صفحة من صفحات الرواية

هذه الرواية إبداع حقيقي من السيدة أجاثا...
أنصحكم بها يا أصدقاء
Richard Derus
Jul 06, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five **THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT EPISODE AS WELL AS THE BOOK**

The Publisher Says: In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, includin
Poonam
Feb 28, 2015 Poonam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soo, I have heard a lot of wonderful things about this book and about this great ending. I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie stories and they are the "Perfect" cozy mysteries for me. Whenever I read a cozy mystery, I end up comparing it to Christie novels.

My personal favorites are And Then There Were None , Murder on the Orient Express. If you haven't read these, go ahead and give them a try.

So as this book is counted in top 1000 mystery books, I definitely wanted to be ahead of Christie or sho
Josu
Jul 25, 2015 Josu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-julio
Leída en dos sentadas, es una de las novelas de misterio que más me han gustado. La verdad es que no es un género que lea normalmente, pero sí que me va conquistando poco a poco, y creo que es la novela justa para hacer que me enamore del género y continúe con él durante más tiempo.

A Agatha Christie tan solo la había catado con Diez negritos, y pese a gustarme, eché en falta un final que cambiase completamente la historia. Y El asesinato de Roger Ackroyd lo ha conseguido. Cada detalle está medid
Lawyer
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd: Something Hidden

"The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to the seeker after it."-
Hercule Poirot

Hercule Poirot appears for the third time in a novel. Remarkably, after only two novels, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, and The Murder on the Links, we find that Poirot has retired and taken a house, The Larches, in the fictional village of King's Abbot, near the home of his friend Roger Ackroyd.

Unlike the previous Poirot outings, the narrat
Sherif Metwaly

صفحة 327 كان رد فعلي زي الصورة اللي تحت دي حرفيًا

وعارف إني مش لوحدي اللي عملت كدة :D

الصراحة أنا معرفش الناس بتكتب ايه في ريفيوهاتها عن روايات أجاثا، معرفش ايه اللي ممكن يتقال يعني!، دي واحدة شغلتها إنها " تغفّلنا " يا جماعة كل مرة وتطلّعنا محدودي الذكاء والبصيرة، اللي هو كل ما نقرأ لها رواية بندرك قد ايه الست دي كانت عبقرية وقد إيه إحنا ولا حاجة لمؤاخذة و أن أي حد ماشي في الشارع ممكن يدينا على قفانا الصراحة، وبعد أن ننتهي من قراءة رواية لها منبلاقيش حاجة نعملها غير إننا نيجي هنا عالجودريدزعشان
Abdelrahman fathy
ما هذا بحق السماء ؟؟!!!!
مما خلقت تلك الأجاثا !!!!
حسنا أصدقاء الجودريدز أنا هُزمت :D ..لا بل هزيمة منكرة والله :D ..
شيء مؤسف أن تضيع كل المجهودات هباءا منثورا .. ولكن من ذا الذي يتحدي تلك السيدة !!
يجب أن تعلم وانت تقرأ لأجاثا انك كلما اقتربت من الحقيقة التي نسجتها مخيلتك ..فانت تحت تنويم مغناطيسي من مس كريستي..هي التي توهمك بأنك عبقري وستتوصل للحل بذكائك الفذ :D ثم ماذا !
ثم تصفعك علي وجهك بالنهايه . لتغدو أحمق من جديد
نعم مثلي تمام :D ..
انا من هؤلاء الذين أسرفوا طفولتهم في مشاهدة حلقات وأجزاء
Wanda
M. Poirot, what were you thinking? Retiring to a small village to grow vegetable marrows? I too would hurl them in fits of regret! As if marrows could suitably engage those little grey cells!

Excellent depiction of the competitive sport of gossip. Small communities everywhere suffer from it. That is one of the reasons that I came to live in a city—I can actually keep my private life relatively private!

Dame Agatha really did set the patterns for current mystery literature, didn’t she? Very, very
Mohammed  Ali
Sep 21, 2016 Mohammed Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
سأكتفي بجملة واحدة تلخص هذه الرواية بأكملها..من الذي قتل السيد روجر أكرويد ؟
Kat Kennedy
She got me! That cheeky beeotch! She got me!
Yousra
Oct 08, 2016 Yousra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yousra by: Sulaf
Shelves: agatha-christie
Wow!! :) Now I'm a big fan of Christie ^_^ I have an ear to ear smile of satisfaction :) ... that's a very wide smile indeed ^_^

Christie fooled me I admit ... made me think of other suspects, so surely thinking it was one of them and I was just waiting for the moment when one of two is to be stated as the murderer ! And oopss!! It happened like this!

This book was one of many of those I got upon my request as my birthday gift from my dear beloved husband and still there are some more to be read
Bắp
Apr 06, 2016 Bắp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thực tế thì vài tháng gần đây mình không mua sách của NXB Trẻ để coi như 1 sự phản đối nho nhỏ (và tất nhiên là trong vô vọng) đối với loại giấy xốp mà họ đang sử dụng để in. Đó là 1 loại giấy rất đau thương :| Nhưng cuối cùng vẫn ko kìm đc cõi lòng lúc chọn để được tặng cuốn này khi trúng giải của 1 trò review dạo linh tinh trên fb :3 Với sự thiếu kiên trung ấy thì có lẽ mình không thể làm 1 chiến sỹ cách mạng đc :))

Mình thấy nhiều người bảo truyện của Agatha cứ tẻ tẻ sao ấy, điều này có thể do
Mashael Alamri
Oct 13, 2008 Mashael Alamri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
قررت ترتيب مكتبتي ( المخربطه ) فسحبت الرواية هذه وقلت في نفسي من زمان عن أغاثا كريستي (مع إني كنت مغرمه فيها ) جلست ع الأرض جنب المكتبه قلبت في الكتاب قليلاً وبعدين بديت أقراء لم أعيده إلا حينما عرفت من قتل (روجر أكرويد) فعلاً أغاثا عجيبه في الحبكات الكل متهم والكل لديه دوافع قتل التفاصيل الصغيره للجريمة تهتم بها الغوص داخل أعماق الشخصيات الحس الفكاهي اللذيذ الوصف الدقيق غير الممل للأماكن كل ذلك يجعل من روايات أغاثا كريستي أفلام على الورق :)

إستمتعت وتمنيت لو أنني أقتني باقي روايات أغاثا كريستي
Jenny
May 23, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Βγάζω το καπέλο στην Αγκάθα-ειλικρινά,δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να βρει κανείς τον/την ένοχο/η!!Καθόμουν και κοιτούσα την παράγραφο της αποκάλυψης σαν χάνος,μέχρι που έβγαλα κι επιφώνημα έκπληξης μέσα στο τραίνο!Διάβαζα και ξαναδιάβαζα την παράγραφο.

Η ιστορία είναι καλοδουλεμένη,οι ρυθμοί γρήγοροι κι ο κύριος Πουαρό απολαυστικός!Νομίζω ότι έχω αρχίσει να διακρίνω ένα κλασικό μοτίβο στις ιστορίες που πρωταγωνιστεί,το οποίο βρίσκω πετυχημένο.Βλέπω ότι χαρακτηρίζεται ως ένα από τα δημοφιλέστερα και καλ
Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕
Oct 29, 2016 Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of classic whodunnits
Every new development that arises is like a shake you give to a kaleidoscope - the thing changes entirely in aspect.

True of so many of Christie's better works. This particular one has often been voted not only Christie's best, but the best murder mystery ever written. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

My favourite of her works is And Then There Were None but this one would would quite definitely be in my top 5!

Far wittier than most Christie's - in particular the Mah Jong scene. A kinder p
Ghofran
Dec 17, 2016 Ghofran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
وبعد مرور أكثر من سبعون عاما مازالت ألغاز السيدة كريستي تلعب بعقول القرّاء محتفظة بكل عناصر التشويق والإثارة
فتراها مرة تفكر وتكتب بعقل القارىء المسكين أمام جرائمها بالغة التعقيد
و مرة تكتب وتبتكر بعقل الضدين القاتل والمحقق
ناسجة بقلمها البديع جريمة متكاملة الأركان وذكاء لا تملك إلا الانبهار به
كانت مقتل روجر أكرويد واحدة من أمتع ما قرأت في حياتي من روايات ولم أكن لأتخيل لحظة أنه سيأتي يوما أحب فيه الروايات البوليسية
والأغرب من أن أحبها هو أن أستطيع معرفة القاتل في منتصف الرواية رغم حداثة عهدي ب
~ شهد جزاء
حسبي الله عليكي يا أجاثا :D

رواية جبارة بشكل مو طبيعي ، ما أظن أبدا في رواية لها أقوى من هذه ، طبعا خابت كل محاولتي للتخمين وسببتلي النهاية صدمة نفسية p: ،، ويكفيني صراحة وجود بوارو في الموضوع أحب هذه الشخصية جدا :)

لحظة الدهشة والشهقة اللي تصاحب معرفة الحقيقة عندي بالدنيا وما فيها :)

واعلم يا رعاك الله :) أن أجاثا كريستي لا تكتفي بكتابة الرواية البوليسية لإمتاعك فقط ، بل إنها تصحب ذلك بتحليل ونظر في دواخل النفس البشرية وما يعتريها من ضعف وغيره ،،، وهذا فن في حد ذاته D:

٩ ذو الحجة ١٤٣٧ هـ
Abby
I guessed the killer. The reason for this is that everyone told me "you'll never, ever guess the killer!" That's just how my mind works. Tell me I'll never see what's coming, and I'll instantly know Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

There's a cozy English village, King's Abbot, that's seen more of its share of tragic deaths in recent months. When the richest and most prominent man in town is murdered, the suspect list is long. There's the greedy sister-in-law, the scheming niece, the wayward
Junta
Oct 24, 2015 Junta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Junta by: And Then There Were None
I'm not very experienced in crime/mystery novels - I read them for light-hearted entertainment between general fiction (this time I needed some air after Steppenwolf). I loved And Then There Were None (link to review), my first Christie novel, last year so I bought three of her acclaimed works at the recent book fair.

The things I like about Christie's writing are:
- that it makes you feel like you're on the scene yourself
- the characterisation: even if ten characters are introduced at the start a
Brad
Jul 23, 2009 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris Simkulet
I love it when a mystery fulfills my desires rather than my expectations, and I have always loved the way that Agatha Christie planted clues so that the careful reader could figure out the mystery. At around page 110 I figured out who the killer was (and I have NO problem with that), but I rejected the thought because, well, it just didn't make sense with what I know about 20s' mystery writing.

Which, apparently, isn't much at all.

Agatha Christie gets much stick for being a bit of Stephen King
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Doorbell Rang (Nero Wolfe, #41)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • Trent's Last Case (Philip Trent, #1)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)

19 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to seekers after it.” 210 likes
“It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting.” 108 likes