Start by marking “Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)” as Want to Read:
Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #4)

Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  5,465 ratings  ·  136 reviews
Sometimes evil lingers so close, you can feel it....
Seattle police sketch artist Maggie Barnes has an extraordinary gift. She listens as traumatized crime victims describe their ordeals -- and then uses those horrifying recollections to draw dead-on sketches of the assailants.
Some cops think Maggie is telepathic, that she can actually enter the victims' minds. Only Maggi...more
Published August 28th 2001 by Bantam (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Touching Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touching Evil

Mateguas Island by Linda  WatkinsHunting Fear by Kay HooperOut of the Shadows by Kay HooperSleeping with Fear by Kay HooperStealing Shadows by Kay Hooper
Best Supernatural Mysteries
7th out of 90 books — 153 voters
Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
237th out of 1,295 books — 1,643 voters

More lists with this book...

Judith
I must admit to feeling that the ending was a bad one and did not seem to be well thought out almost as if Ms. Hooper forgot that she must wrap up the book soon. Perhaps if there was at least a chapter to explain how the bad guy became the bad guy would have helped. Trust me you will never guess who the killer is unless you read the end first.

The second thing that bothered me was the fact that there were a few parts of the story that I did not feel have closure and did not seem to have much to...more
Lisa
I couldn't wait to get the next one in the series.
Sheila Melo
More Paranormal Suspense Than Romance

TOUCHING EVIL marks the point where the Bishop series becomes more Paranormal Suspense than Paranormal Romantic Suspense. There is a romance involved, but there is no real relationship development between the characters. Because this is a change from prior books, I think it is important to note this change. I miss the more intense relationships of Hooper's earlier books, but I can accept her new direction.

THE STORY: Maggie Barnes is a remarkable police sketch...more
Consuelo Morales
The villains on this series are getting better and better. I still would like a little more perspective from the evil side since I feel it would add more interest to the story line. The heroes of this book all had great parts even if at the end everything unraveled a little too fast. It took me a little too long to actually like John with his many questions and Maggie was not bad until the end when she actually thought she could take on a killer with just her face. Really a little more realistic...more
Lauren

Touching Evil
4 Stars

Quickie Review

Good thriller with interesting characters and a clever plot.

Nevertheless, the romance is somewhat contrived and there could have been more clues to the killer's identity. The climax is compelling and the resolution very satisfying (one of the more unique I have encountered in this genre).

It should be note that the book contains grisly details and gory descriptions so it is not for the weak of heart.
Kelly
This is a really great thriller book, I've read it several times now and enjoy it every time. Maggie is a police sketch artist with a special talent, and when women start being viciously attacked, raped and blinded, she feels it's her duty to stop the evil that's doing it...even if she has to sacrifice herself. The characters are very well written, and you really feel like you get to know them and their motivations for doing what they do throughout the book.

The story kicks off right from the ver...more
Robin
#1. I DID NOT figure out who the killer was!

#2. Following is a list of characters (you know like the old pulp novels ;D )

Hollis . . . . . . Artist who is the latest victim. [?]
Maggie . . . . . . Police sketch artist, who has empathic abilities.
John . . . . . . Business Tycoon, who has been touched by the killer, as well as . . .
Andy . . . . . . Seattle Detective working the case.
Scott . . . . . . Seattle Detective working the case.
Jennifer . . . . . . Seattle Detective working the case.
Quentin ....more
Isis FG
Louise
Hooper lived up to her regular reputation of providing a good mystery/suspense/thriller!!

From back cover:

"Seattle police sketch artist Maggie Barnes has an extraordinary gift. She listens as traumatized crime victims describe their ordeals-and then uses those horrifying recollections to draw dead-on sketches of the assailants. Some cops think Maggie is telepathic, that she can actually enter the victims' minds. Only Maggie knows the truth behind her rare talent...and she isn't telling.

But her se...more
Ana T.
After reading the Shadows trilogy and really enjoying reading about Noah Bishop I decided to start the Evil trilogy and so continue with the Bishop / BAU series.

In Touching Evil there's a rapist on the loose that is targeting women and besides raping and beating them he blinds them so they can't identify him. Maggie Barnes is the artist who has been working with the women to try to come up with a face that the police can identify. The truth is that Maggie is an empath, she feels what the victim'...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: This is the story of Seattle police artist Maggie Barnes, whose remarkable artistic talents are the focus of an even more extraordinary psychic gift that she is determined to keep secret: a gift that has allowed her to work with crime victims, to feel what they feel, to create perfect portraits of their attackers. When the police are stymied by an elusive predator who blinds his victims to prevent them from identifying him, Maggie must be willing to risk much more than just her secret...more
Glenn Harris
The 4th book in a series featuring an FBI unit composed of agents with paranormal abilities. This one centers on a police sketch artist who is much more than she appears and a serial killer who is far more evil than humanly possible. Excellent right up to the end where the author requires our heroine to be egregiously stupid in order to propel the final confrontation. I hate that. It's incredibly lazy and happens far too often.
Susan Ross
I couldn't put this book down. I gave it a 4/5 only because it's not a book I would want to read again. (I've read many of my books multiple times.)
There is some romance and lots of psychic/paranormal facets; for example, Maggie Barnes, the heroine, is an empath.
The story revolves around a serial killer who tortures his victims and is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately there is enough humour and romance to give the reader a breather from the violence. I generally like to try to figure out...more
Ursula Gorman
Kay Hooper delivers again! I love the Bishop books and this one is no exception. Maggie has a gift, one she has tried to explain away as intuition, but when she meets John and his friends with Bishops unique unit in the FBI, she has to admit things she's kept a secret for her entire life.
Drawn into the case of kidnapped, mutilated and murdered women, Maggie uses her 'intuition' to try to sketch the killer, but there is a major stumbling block...all the women that survived the attack, had their e...more
Gigi
The best Hooper book I have read this far. Although the murders are by far the most gruesome and brutal. I admit I skimmed some of those parts. I can't always get images out of my head, which is very appropriate for the nature of this book. Hooper appears to like exploring different types of paranormal abilities in each of her books, and I was personally drawn (no pun intended) to the idea of a police sketch artist with "a gift" that enables her to draw so accurately the faces of evil. And in ea...more
Kris
3 STARS

"This is the story of Seattle police artist Maggie Barnes, whose remarkable artistic talents are the focus of an even more extraordinary psychic gift that she is determined to keep secret: a gift that has allowed her to work with crime victims, to feel what they feel, to create perfect portraits of their attackers. When the police are stymied by an elusive predator who blinds his victims to prevent them from identifying him, Maggie must be willing to risk much more than just her secret t...more
Brent Soderstrum
Hooper once again takes us to the paranormal psychotic killer, this time in Seattle. This killer is kidnapping woman, raping them and then blinding them by cutting out their eyes. Noah Bishop's FBI special unit gets involved to try to help the local police corral the killer. Bishop himself makes a small appearence which was a little disappointing.

Maggie is the main focus of the book. She is a sketch artist who is often able to sketch the killer from spending time with the victims. The victims be...more
Emily Higgins
Maggie Barnes is a police sketch artist with a special gift for feeling the same thing victims felt when they were being assaulted. She and a team of police officers form a task force trying to find and stop a serial killer. This is a well written book with a paranormal theme.
Emily
John Garrett arrives back in Seattle wanting answers over his sisters death after surviving a brutal attack from a serial rapist/killer. John is most interested in what sketch artist Maggie Barnes has to say. Rumors swirl about her talent to connect with the victims, but John sees that she keeps her secrets close and he has every intention of finding out what they are.

Thrilling read, Maggie is able to put herself in the victims role and help illustrate the suspects. With a rash of kidnapped wome...more
Leah
A few years ago I read Kay Hooper's Blood trilogy, and I really enjoyed those books. However, I never went back to her until Touching Evil (Book 1, Evil Trilogy). And I really enjoyed it. Kay Hooper has a way of making her characters really really likable, and you just root for them the entire time.

I love the supernatural aspect of this story, and I like that the book added in ghosts and supernatural abilities, but that our main characters were human. I'm happy with that, and I hate that I don't...more
V
There were a few too many unexplained sub stories. Don't read this one unless you have read earlier books in the series. It did seem this was a love story in disguise. Still, I am on to book 4 in the series.
Kazen
Much better than the first Kay Hooper book I read! A nice combination of mystery, suspense, paranormal, and romance. I may have to check out the rest of this trilogy, and I hope at least a couple of the characters carry over.
Donna Fowler
It was a good book. It held my attention and entertained me but it wasn't as good as other books she has written. I felt like she didn't flesh out her characters as fully as she has in other novels. It certainly will not stop me from reading more from her as have the next in the evil trilogy coming already.
Maddie
Very good book. Pretty gruesome details though but the ending is SUPER CUTE.
Marcia
A good solid, scary read!
Dave Thorner
I did not enjoy this book. The story was too 'out there' for me, everything seemed a little too convenient and the characters were flimsy.
Shyanne
I thought this book was really intense and it made me want to keep reading. The author was really good at making it seem really creepy. It was a fast read, and it was pretty twisted! However it seemed to me that the gist of the action and suspense was mostly in the middle of the book. I was expecting a more defined, and crazy ending.So it was kind of disappointing, but it was still a good book. It had a little bit of romance, suspense, and of course mystery. It was an overall good book.
Rayne
Very enjoyable read and kept me guessing along the way.
Tiffiane
Another great book for this series. Finally word is slowly trickling out about what the highly specialized SCU unit of the FBI can do, and in a great way. This book was disturbing to say the least. An ancient evil that never dies and is just reborn in a new body each generation. And only one woman alone feels she has the power to stop him for good. The book was fantastically cryptic and kept me on my toes until the very end. Can't wait to read the next one!
Marti
this was a book i read on the treadmill and stationary bike before bringing it upstairs to finish. it is a creepy story with a bunch of people, regular police, fbi and empaths, etc. trying to find the sick killer who likes to not only blind the woman victims, but in at least one case, remove them. this creep is no match for the talented group who combine resources to track him down. hey, when was the last time that a book ended with evil conquering good?
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
  • Firestorm
  • See No Evil (No Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Darker than Midnight (Mordecai Young #3)
  • Cold Blooded (New Orleans #2)
  • Now You See Her
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan...more
More about Kay Hooper...
Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #5) Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1) Blood Ties (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #12) Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #7) Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #3)