Start by marking “The Angelic Avengers” as Want to Read:
The Angelic Avengers

The Angelic Avengers

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Lucan has been orphaned and Zosine has been deserted. Bound together by poverty and grief, they set out to make a future for themselves. They are adopted by the Reverend Pennhallow and his wife, and become immersed in study. But, after a chain of disturbing events, they realize that the cleric and his wife are not all they seem to be.
Paperback
Published November 29th 2001 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Angelic Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angelic Avengers

Plague of Angels by John Patrick KennedyCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonStrange Angels by Lili St. Crow
Books with Angel In the Title
112th out of 159 books — 76 voters
Out of Africa by Karen BlixenSeven Gothic Tales by Karen BlixenWinter's Tales by Karen BlixenThe Angelic Avengers by Karen BlixenLast Tales by Karen Blixen
Best of Karen Blixen
4th out of 13 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Adam
Dineson’s spot on parody of a 19th century English adventure story (her only full length novel) with secret identities and disguises, ridiculous coincidences, last minute rescues, fortunes lost and inheritances reclaimed, overly romantic heroines, and satanic villains. There are fun allusions along the way to Jane Eyre, Little Red Riding Hood, and Titus Andronicus, and this book which I have heard read as an allegory of the Nazi occupation (and compared to Mann's "Mario and The Magician" and its ...more
Nick Jones
This is strange. Weird. If it was written 20 years later by an author 30 years younger I would call it postmodernist, a pastiche of the early Victorian romantic (Romantic and romantic) novel. Maybe it is a parody: it is slightly ridiculous. Two English girls (or young women: they are about 18) in the 1840s, one orphaned, the other left by her father, are penniless, but are taken in by the Reverend Penhallow and his wife and are taken to their home in France. But all is not as it first seems with ...more
Spigana
Ļoti labs romāns, ar kura palīdzību ielūkoties 19. gadsimta jaunavu domāšanā.
Grāmata sarakstīta (un lieliski iztulkota) ārkārtīgi glītā, vecmodīgā valodā un perfekti rada tā laika noskaņu. Vienīgi galvenajām varonēm man bija mazliet grūti just līdzi, jo ir ārkārtīgi sarežģīti iedomāties sevi situācijā, kad esi audzināta maksimāli nošķirta no pasaules realitātes un neko nejēdz no dzīves, bet visu laiku esi atkarīga no vīrieša un pati sevi aizstāvēt vispār nespēj. Ak, un tā mūžīgā ģibšana...
Grāmat
Kåre
kan slet ikke have dette. overlæsset, racistisk, aristokratisk, sexistisk. men det, som mest er mig imod, er det overlæssede
Katherine
For me, it was a fast but boring read. I didn't feel the suspense at all, I knew what was coming, I didn't have chills that I had expected to have after reading the description. The second half was better than the first and that's all I can write about this book. It was quite ok, but I had a sense of wasting time while reading it.
Wolfpabiru
Non mi ha entusiasmato, ci sono le classiche strutture del romanzo d'appendice(come scritto nella prefazione) ma l'ho trovato un libretto "estivo", da leggere tra una nuotata e l'altra.
A tratti recupera però non abbastanza da ricordarlo in futuro.
ben
Written in a Victorian style and released in a mysterious manner and under a false author's name, I thought it was a great read. The story started out a bit bland, but the end makes the book a lot better.
Judy
No surprise that Karen Blixen wrote this under a pseudonym. It is clumsy, the characters are muddy, the situations peculiar, subplots lead nowhere, and it all turns out ok in the end. Oh, yawn!
Chris
While not quite as good as her short stories, Dinesen's only novel is still good. There are many allusions, including one character who must be based on the Duke from Browning's "My Last Duchess".
Joni
interesting allegory of women's roles and place in society. the plot bogged down in parts, the ending was too much of a fairy tale ending to be believable to me.
Lindseyfish
Unlike any story I've ever read. I could at no point see where it was going to lead. Frivolous, and also terrifying.
Merethe Ida
Wonderful, simply wonderful...
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Byurakn
Byurakn is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Sam Carpenter
Sam Carpenter marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Emily Rhinehelder
Emily Rhinehelder marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Stacey Whitten
Stacey Whitten marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Marie
Marie added it
Nov 06, 2014
Valeria
Valeria marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Dena Deyoung
Dena Deyoung marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Trine
Trine marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
  • Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller
  • Kongemordet (Kronprinsessen, #2)
  • The Blood of the Vampire
  • Il cerchio celtico
  • Dr. Zukaroffs Testamente
  • Winter Birds
  • Karate Chop: Stories
Karen Christence Dinesen, Baroness Blixen-Finecke - wrote as Isak Dinesen, Pierre Andrézel, other pseudonyms: Tania Blixen, Osceola, etc.
A Danish writer, who mixed in her work supernatural elements, aestheticism, and erotic undertones with an aristocratic view of life, Blixen always emphasized that she was a storyteller in the traditional, oral sense of the word. She drew her inspiration from the
More about Karen Blixen...
Out of Africa Out of Africa / Shadows on the Grass Seven Gothic Tales Winter's Tales Babette's Feast