Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,958 ratings  ·  244 reviews
When David Carmichael suffers a migraine and then a broken shoulder, Trace Jackson, his best friend, simply moves in to take care of him. Their easy camaraderie continues with no problems until David discovers an undercurrent of heat and tension flowing between them. Despite knowing his best friend is straight, David is slowly falling in love. What he doesn't know is that ...more
Published February 2009 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
9th out of 528 books — 1,344 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
7th out of 545 books — 912 voters

More lists with this book...

Vio
"Happy sigh" no angst, secrets or big misunderstandings to ruin this lovely budding friends to lovers romance its a slow burn rather than an out of control fire. The sexual simmering attraction throughout the book is wonderful Trace and David's playfulness is adorable and Mabel is the only drama queen with her efforts to ruin the poker games and shredding Trace's clothes in disgust she was fun. Another great feel good story and highly recommended.
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***
***2.75 stars***

Though the blurb is pretty accurate on what this book is about, the execution of the story was just kinda awkward.

Trace and David are suppose to be best friends, yet it felt like they didn't really know each other. David was openly gay, yet Trace didn't know that he was? They didn't know each other's friends, or very much about each other's lives beyond the basics.

Trace was "straight" but didn't question sleeping in the same bed as David, or waking up in the man's arms....and enj
Brenda (b)
A terrific story in the gay for you theme. I loved watching David and Trace's relationship move from friendship to lovers. There were no big conflicts, no huge misunderstandings - just 2 men growing closer and exploring the feelings that slowly changed as that happens. I thought it was great that David wanted Trace but he never put any pressure on him to do anything, and that he actually held back because he didn't think Trace was ready yet - very refreshing.
karlakolumna
Sickly sweet romance, so sweet it literally made me feel sick. Well, I admit that I'm not that much of a sucker for pure romances, but that's not the reason I dislike this book so much.

There were so many flaws and discrepancies in that book, it was impossible for me to like it at any point.

God, I wish I could post my amazon review here, but it's in German and I don't feel up to translate the whole thing right now.

I'll give you a few examples in order to underline what I did say earlier:

(view spo
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

This review rated the 2nd Edition which has an additional "15,000 or so words" compared to the 1st Edition. Plus the 2nd Edition has a better looking cover, imo, by the artist Paul Richmond.
The One That Got Away is a Gay-For-You story. Readers who dislike the GFY theme should avoid this book. Readers who are selective about their GFY story should know this story lack "omfg, am I gay?" identity-crisis drama...and, to an extend, drama overall. Here's a perfect examp
Natsroshan
Really beautiful characters!! Their feelings are so well described.
Like them i was eager, and like them i wanted to savor each moment!!!
M'rella
This is simply not readable, as in "written so badly it gave me a splitting headache."

I was ready to DNF at around 10%, but then (for research purposes only, mind you) managed another 10%. No, it didn't get better. It got worse :/

What's this book about?
A guy with a migraine, a broken shoulder and on serious meds & his klutz of a friend getting together, drinking scotch and playing strip poker. Cause that's what you do when you are injured and are high on Oxycontin. Fun times. By-by liver and
Sayuri_x
It was a great love story with some really touching moments and I would have given this a 4 except for the rapidly changing POV all the way through the book. This doesn't normally bother me, but 5 or 6 changes within a scene and I had to keep going back cause I lost my train of thought and didn't know who was saying or thinking what. I really confusd me a spoiled my enjoyment.
Elspeth
Got bored skimmed to the ending.
Isabel
I love this kind of books where friends become lovers! It's beautiful to witness the evolution of their relationship.

In this book, they flirt and seduce almost innocently, and when they realize, their love is much more than friendship!
Vfields is fighting to be Happy!
Perplexing I tried really hard to like this one but it just didn't happen. I usually enjoy gay-for-you stories. I was happy with the fact that they didn't just fall into bed at the drop of a hat. It's just ... well it was this slowest moving story I've read in a long time. I actually started laughing every time they woke up wrapped around each other.
SPOILER BELOW:
Trace was a puzzle.How does he handle having a relationship with a man? What happens when people/friends call him gay? They worked on
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
4.5 Stars!

Slow Burn-Friends to Lovers....LOVED IT!!

It is what it is...Friends stepping over that line they never imagined they'd cross. I liked the fact that they didn't jump all in right away tho. They both felt out everything but when they connected (even just the kisses and roaming hands) the chemistry was amazing!

If you're looking for a quick, sweet/tender moments but supa hot chemistry...check out this book!
Susan
Absolutely angst free!
This was an incredibly sweet GFY friends to lovers story. I adored this book.

When David falls and hurts his shoulder pretty bad, his best friend Trace is there to help him out. Trace simply moves in and takes care of David. But what neither men expected was that their friendship would grow into something more. David is gay, but Trace has always considered himself pretty straight. That is until he is living with his handsome best friend.

I loved it that this book was complete
Arthur
This one I read a while ago, but somehow I only gave ratings without any review. The blurb has said everything to be said about the plot.

I liked reading this book because:
- it's my favorite plot: friends to lovers
- The chemistry between the MCs
- the MCs are not young anymore for the m/m romance standard. As a result, when they want a relationship, it's believable that they'd last quite long.
- GFY, yes, but the development is quite slowly. Only when David got sick that he and Trace started to ope
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I really loved this one. It was such a sweet, slow romance and you got to know the characters and their intentions before the romance started to happen. It also helped that the MCs were best friends before they became intimate. Not to mention one of them is actually straight. That is why I loved this because it wasn't a 'jump right in even though I'm straight' type of story but a 'let's take it easy so I can wrap my head around what's happening' type of one. It was just great.

There were
Shelby P
Another one bites the dust. I'd heard good things about this book so I put it on my "must read asap" list and finally got around to it. I was expecting great things but was shocked when it was taking me a long time to even get past 15%. How do I sum this book up? One word: BORING.

I'm all for low angst books but they have to keep my attention. These guys are in their early 40s but they came across as early 30s to me. I don't think I got to know either of the guys very well. At least they got out
Ami
This is the second-edition, with additional words. I don't know if it's "better" since I never read the first edition. HOWEVER, maybe I should. Because I definitely think that the story is stretched out a bit too much. Maybe the first edition is better because it will be succinct.

I like the progress from "straight-to-gay" that Trace experiences though. I mean, a number of GFY stories that I read sometimes jump a bit too fast on that matter. But David and Trace's relationship getting closer after
Sqyd
This book is so bad that I chucked it into the recycling bin. As if the whole "I'm not gay, just gay for you" premise wasn't vapid enough, its realization is utterly unconvincing. The characters are flat, and the plot is nonexistent. There is lots of drawn out unreleased sexual tension, foreplay, etc, but it's so hackneyed that it was boring me to tears.
R.B.
This was very good friends-to-lovers kind of story with slow and convincing change in MC's relationship.
Paris
I guess it would have been more entertaining for me if it was a comedy and everything in this story was happening to YA.
The whole thing is just so boring and stupid and unrealistic. And a simple torture.

It is annoying when the author doesn't paying attention to his/her writing. For example: the MC takes off his clothes to sleep on the couch. The couch is uncomfortable so he goes to share the bed with his friend. And there he takes off his clothes again (?!). Then, the next morning his shirt is a
Lily
Jan 21, 2010 Lily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All M/M romance lovers
Recommended to Lily by: Thank You, Secret Santa Xmas 2009
David Carmichael and Trace Jackson have been best friends for years despite working for rival newspapers. When David needs help recovering first from a severe migraine and then from a broken shoulder Trace doesn't think twice about helping his friend out, even if it means moving in with him for a while.

As they spend days and then weeks together their friendship deepens and then begins to change. From best buds used to hanging out together they find much deeper feelings growing between them.

This
Charly
I found the men’s actions mostly unbelievable

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 5/10

PROS:
- Most “Gay for You” stories move so quickly from normal friendship to love that I find them terribly unconvincing. I wasn’t ever convinced that Trace was straight, but his reactions toward David do move very gradually from friendly to sexual, which I liked.
- Aile and Urban do a good job of portraying David and Trace’s closeness by describing not only their though
Macky ~ Sinfully...Addicted To All Male Romance
There's definitely something about this book and I think more than anything its the interaction between David and Trace. Even before the romance starts and its just the two of them as friends you can feel the chemistry and then that turns to attraction and finally a quite passionate love. It's sort of a slow burner but that's what makes it engaging. The love scenes are hot and sensual but it was watching these guys discovering their attraction to each other that was the best part. As a straight ...more
Janna
This was one of the best M/M reads of 2009 for me! I can really recommend it. For a change it’s a book with no angst in it. The characters are well developed and the smexing is long anticipated but scorching hot when they finally get to it. The story is about two friends, one gay one straight. One of them breaks his shoulder and needs some help during his recovery. So his straight friend moves in with him. Because of the injury, the heroes share some very intimate moments and something starts to ...more
LenaLena
Jan 08, 2012 LenaLena rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
The title of this book suggests a story line and a level of conflict that is just not there. Hell, there is barely a story line at all. No conflict. No plot. The title doesn't even make sense until the last line of the book and it's more like 'srsly'? The first half of the book is UST, the second is just sex. Someone should have told the responsible author to use a different word the other 32 times she used 'brunet' to describe one of the MCs. There's head hop hop hop hopping......

And you know
Stacey Jo
This is a nice gay-for-you story and one where the best friends fall in love if you like that scenerio. No angst if you like that in your story. Unlike many GFY stories, the straight guy is pretty accepting of his choice. There are no other characters who oppose his choice so no adversity in to book. But I thought the story was well written and I liked both the main and supporting characters. It was a light fluffy read.
Наталья
DNF at 10%

Отвратительно написано. Дерганно, акцентовка на ненужных мелочах, беспрерывная смена POV от абзаца к абзацу - да еще и без указания о смене, пока абзац не кончится и появится другое имя.

photo tumblr_megoo9r9UQ1r44tub_zpsf4dbd52f.gif
FloJ
This is the sort of book that makes you hope your next life is as a gay bloke. A feel good book with a good build up to an electric relationship. A love story with humour, no angst. Probably more of a 3.5 really as is quite a simple story, but definitely not a 3. If it wasn't an E book, it would be good for reading in the bath!
Lilli *slowest reader ever*
Read this when it was available as a free read on the author's homepage. Loved it. Very sweet and convincing friends-to-lovers GFY story.
Adara
This story is the ultimate in "straight man goes gay for his best friend", but that description so does not convey the magnitude of depth of description and feeling between them. The sexual tension between these two is astounding. For someone just looking to get into the M/M romance genre, I wholeheartedly recommend reading this story.

For those that know it was originally a short novella, I actually prefer the original novella to the expanded length novel (even though I will buy the paperback of
  • Just For You
  • Out of My Mind
  • And Call Me in the Morning (And Call Me in the Morning #1)
  • My Summer of Wes (Wes & Mal, #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • The Assignment (Assignment, #1)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • Knowing Caleb (Hawkins Brothers/Quinten, Montana, #5)
  • Caught Running
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • The Broken Road
  • Take My Picture
  • Drawn Together
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Rules of Engagement (Rules of Engagement, #1)
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
Rhianne Aile has an unhealthy relationship with her computer, iced tea, and chocolate. Growing up, she split her time between Oklahoma and Chicago, making her equally fond of horses, skyscrapers, cowboys, and men in well-tailored suits. Facilitating retreats for women and authors keeps her traveling enough to stay happy.
More about Rhianne Aile...
Cursed (Cursed #1) Betrayed (Cursed #2) To Love a Cowboy Snowed In Dark Chocolate

“...do you want to do the exercises here where you can sit in the kitchen chair, or in the living room so you can slump on the couch after?"
"Oh, living room, definitely. Closer to the scotch too," David muttered as he stood and walked in that direction, ignoring the small smile he'd seen on Trace's face.
He collapsed on the couch, telling himself to grow up. Being a big baby would annoy Trace, who'd leave, and where would that leave him and his barely healed shoulder? He rubbed at his eyes and told himself he needed to suck it up.
"Sling off, please," Trace said as he walked in with the piece of paper the therapist had given David to take home. Taking a deep breath and steeling himself, he slid on his glasses and started studying the diagrams. "This shouldn't be too bad."
"You're not the one with the broken shoulder."
Trace didn't respond to the jibe as he sat down next to David.
"All right. First exercise. You're going to hold your arm, elbow bent at ninety degrees, and lift it up and out, away from your body."
David watched as Trace copied the movement drawn on the sheeet, and he had to stifle a laugh.
"What?" Trace glanced up at him.
"You look like a chicken," David snickered.
"Well, I am the cock of the roost, C'mon, chickadee. Flap that wing," Trace instructed with a wink.”
0 likes