Start by marking “Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Pillowcase” as Want to Read:
Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Pillowcase

Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Pillowcase

Take the challenge! Craft challenges are all the rage among online crafting communities, and this new series—the first ever on the subject—marries the popularity of repurposing with the appeal of the “new pretty” aesthetic. This time, it’s the common pillowcase that’s undergoing uncommon transformations in 28 beguiling projects, ranging from patterned pinafores and aprons ...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Craft Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Craft Challenge

Molly
Aug 27, 2010 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing-crafts
I like the "Pillowcase Memory" that are sprinkled throughout the margins of this book. A nice touch.

I like the photography. I like the concept of repurposing pillowcases.

I did not like all the plugs for Lark Crafts online (and at least one other website) sprinkled throughout the text of the book (I counted at least 4).

I did not like the fact that the project I liked the most, the Lavender Tote on p. 76 called for one "standard vintage cotton feedsack pillowcase - I do not know what that is, let
Beverlyanne
Aug 06, 2010 Beverlyanne rated it did not like it
Shelves: sewing, 2010
There are one or two clever and attractive projects in this book, but most are lame and clunky looking. The sections cover wearables (tunics and sundresses for children made by threading ties through casings)objects like purses (pillowcases not good material for these), and home objects like coasters. The most creative project is an apron made in layers consisting of the decorative edgings from vintage cases mixed with vintage patterned slices of pillowcases. Now no one needs a fancy apron, but ...more
Anne
Sep 08, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
My main problem with this book are the patterns for kids. I don't have any or know any girls of the age these might work for.

On the other hand, patterns I liked for myself were: Morning Glory bathrobe, Simply Red skirt, Slip-On Luxe slippers, Reversible Sun Hat, Superhereo Cape, Decorative Box, Oh, Baby! Quilt (which could be adjusted?), & Tea Time Tea Cozy.
I've likely got access to plenty of pillow cases, it's just a matter of having the book and access to a machine and the cases.
Emily
This is a great concept: lots of diffrent designers created projects using pillowcases as the medium. Some of these are cute, but the lower rating comes from a lack of projects I want to make. The only one I'm really interested in is the kimono on page 48. The pillowcases in the photopraphs are also far nicer than the selection at my local thrift store, and I am a frequent thrifter.
Tamara
Apr 24, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty, non-fiction
Fairly simple projects. Not sure how the author got her hands on so many beautiful vintage pillowcases, though! Mine are all garish mustard yellow creations from the 70s.

Cutest project was the back-of-the-chair remote control cozy.
Candy
Aug 31, 2010 Candy rated it it was ok
I didn't think this book was great. The styling is beautiful but the patterns are pretty common and not necessarily ground breaking.
Lois
Aug 21, 2010 Lois rated it it was ok
way fun to see designers rise to the challenge of how to sew something new with an old pillowcase. don't know if there is anything I'd make, but loved the inspiration.
Jessietaylortanner
Dec 25, 2009 Jessietaylortanner rated it liked it
Shelves: craft, 2009
There are a few things I want to make from this book. I like the overall feel and look of the book however.
Jodi
Apr 24, 2009 Jodi rated it it was ok
Limited amount of projects, most of which I have seen before (for free)on other craft sites. The majority were geared toward those who have children to make items for.
Marilyn
Mar 18, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was ok
Why would I use a pillowcase? I didn't figure that out.
Ohia
Feb 23, 2011 Ohia rated it liked it
Some pretty cute ideas for pillowcases
Sherry Porter
Oct 08, 2010 Sherry Porter rated it really liked it
So many simple and great ideas... who knew a pillowcase could look so cute in so many ways. It also encourages using pillowcases that are vintage or from thrift stores like Goodwill.
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
katie Short
katie Short rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2009
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2009
Melva
Melva rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Heather Hawley
Heather Hawley rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Niya
Niya rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Debbie Taylor
Debbie Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Marti
Marti rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2010
debra lou holt
debra lou holt rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2014
Bliss
Bliss rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2010
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Shari
Shari rated it did not like it
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Suzanne Tourtillott was born in post-war Germany but lives and works, happily, in Asheville, North Carolina. After studying and then teaching fine art and commercial photography, she turned to writing arts journalism for periodicals and, ultimately, to writing and editing craft books. Suzanne has edited more than 50 titles in jewelry, ceramics, needle crafts--even poetry. Her business/Twitter is @ ...more
More about Suzanne J.E. Tourtillott...