Start by marking “Party” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,408 ratings  ·  213 reviews
It's saturday night in Santa Barbara and school is done for the year. Everyone is headed to the same party. Or at least it seems that way. The place is packed. The beer is flowing. Simple, right? But for 11 different people the motives are way more complicated. As each character takes a turn and tells his or her story, the eleven individuals intersect, and reconnect, colli ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by Random House BFYR (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Party

This review is for an advanced reader's copy.

I think the premise of this novel was very promising and the climax and falling action were both great, but the writing was, for the most part, not so good. The style through some of the chapters was just plain awful; I understand the author was trying to capture the way teens think, but literally putting in "or whatever," "or something," and other sayings similar every couple of sentences is not necessary. It was actually aggravating and distracting.
Karen Kaiser
What I really liked about this book was how normal it was. Sure, you've got Beckett, whose life really sucks. And Morrigan, who (despite her bitchy attitude) I felt a little bit of sympathy for. After all, her parents were completely idiots. And Anthony is dealing with his brother's injuries and his own football downward spiral. And Azize has to deal with racism. But as sad as they might be, those are relatively normal problems. Not everyone has intense, fictionalized drama going on. That being ...more
Nyrae Dawn
Loved it. Really great voice.
It’s the biggest party happening in Santa Barbara and everyone’s coming. For some this party can mean something different. Told in eleven different point of views, Tom Leveen covers all the bases when it comes to personality.

The novel begins with Beckett the girl who was once so bubbly and fun had the life drained out of her when her mom got cancer. She promised to never tell anyone—not her father who left and not her best friend, Ashley, who she’s slowly distancing herself from—even when the ca
Zum Buch
Das Schuljahr ist rum und alles wollen nur eines: Party machen und die Nacht zu etwas unvergesslichem machen.
Doch die Party verläuft anders als gedacht...

In diesem Buch gibt es 11 Hauptcharaktere, die man als Leser nach und nach kennen lernt.
Da gerade das Kennenlernen der verschiedenen Protagonisten so interessant war werde ich auf Diese nicht weiter eingehen.
Doch eines kann ich sagen: Jeder hatte seine Eigenschaften, Macken und Schwächen. Keiner gleichte dem anderen und es gab
Party is told from the point of view of eleven different teenagers, all attending the same end of year party. Each chapter has bits from the others, only told from different points of view. I'm giving this 4.5 stars out of 5 but I round up instead of down, for Goodreads purposes.

I think Tom Leveen really did a great job - each character has a distinct point of view and their own secrets to hide, which aren't fully disclosed in their own chapter but only after reading the entire book. I have to a
Here's a mini review:

I just didn't understand the point of this book. There were eleven different characters, why? I was wondering that quite a few times for the part of the book I read. I couldn't even make it to the end. I read to page fifty, and when I found out I wasn't liking it, I just gave up on it. My main thing that I didn't like about it was I just didn't get the importance of some of the characters. Why have a whole part about that particular character when they don't really matter?
WOW. I just put this book down thirty seconds ago after crying my eyes out--in a good way.

Leveen does a FANTASTIC job capturing the voices, the stories, the emotions and the turmoils of several different teens attending the same end-of-year party. The story is face-paced, tense, funny at times, very moving throughout, and ultimately uplifting and deeply satisfying.

What a tremendous first effort by this debut novelist. Leveen is a genuine talent to watch.
Grade: B+

The last day of school.
An epic PARTY.
Friends. Lovers. Enemies. Strangers.
A fight with racial undertones.
An automobile accident.
Lives changed forever.

Told in multiple points of view, Tom Leveen weaves together stories of classmates whose lives intersect, come apart and together before the night is complete. My favorite characters were Azize, Beckett and Ashley, and Morrigan and Josh my least. Each character had both positive and negative traits, each had sympathetic qualit
Barbara Bell
Tom Leveen writes ‘Party’ in 11 chapters, one for each point of view presented. While we start with Beckett in Chapter 1, each additional chapter adds more information and additional perspectives, thus, building up the suspense and details that we can only get from the additional players in the story. The headings of the chapters are cool, as well, because all names are printed out, and the chapter’s lead character is highlighted.

Without being preachy, Leveen shows the world of YA that everyone
Jodi Papazian
OK, so I get that this was a novel with overlapping story lines. However, was it really necessary to repeat certain scenes over and over again?

The first narrator is Beckett, who I actually really liked. She was what gave me hope that this book might be pretty decent. She has such a hardknock life that automatically, as a reader, I was sympathizing and rooting for her. (I will say that I was happy to see where her character ended up).

However, from Beckett we went to Morrigan who might be my least
High School Parties-----

How does one get invited? For those of you who are regrettably and "accidentally" left out or to those of you that pretend not to care about attending----you may be surprised at the guest list!

The "GUEST LIST" has a fair share of kids that are invisible to others on so many levels for so many reasons.

Party guest 1: The kid that attends a party hoping that someone, anyone will recognize who they are. This kid is emotionally bullied by their fellow classmates---invisible
Sarah (YA Love)
Eleven teenagers, including skaters, a jock, and a girl with a secret, decide to attend an end of the year party. They each have their own reasons ranging from needing to make a friend to getting over being dumped. “Everyone” is expected to attend this party, yet none of them expect to have their lives connect in so many different ways. Each chapter is told from a different character’s perspective, giving the reader an opportunity to see the action from all angles.

I decided to read this book aft
This actually turned out to be one of my favorite books! I've never read a book like Tom Leveen's, 'Party', since it had the 11 narrators, but I loved it. It's rare to find a book that has the perspective of pretty much all of the main-ish characters involved, so it doesn't leave you wondering, 'Wow, i wonder how they feel about this!'. I like the set up of the chapters too, so you're not confused how they randomly switched to a new narrator. When i first started reading this book i thought it w ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for

PARTY is a novel told in 11 different voices. Each chapter is a different viewpoint of a night unfolding.

The story starts out with Beckett. She is a girl who has withdrawn from everyone and thinks that she is invisible. She talks herself into going to the graduation party of the year, even though she's only going to be a senior at Santa Barbara High.

As the story unfolds, we meet a girl-gone-wild trying to get the attention of her parents. We meet her ex-boy
It’s Saturday night and the big end of the school year party is going down. Everyone will be there and each of them has different expectations for the night. Some want to spend one last night of fun with classmates before summer vacation, while others just want to get drunk. A few more just want to get noticed while some just want to make a friend. Party focuses on eleven different teens at the party and each chapter is written from one of their points of view. Their stories connect and intersec ...more
Noelle Jones
I could read this book a million times... The jokes never get old. The only thing I didn't like was Ashley's, "What's the go?" It was really annoying after the first three chapters.
I think Tom Leveen is a friggin' genius! It seems so hard to conjure up eleven different viewpoints and have them collide.
My favorite character is definatly... Azize. Well, either Azize or Brent. Brent's pretty funny. Oh and I can't forget Morrigan!
I got annoyed with Beckett and her drama... I got mad at Anthony re
Linda Nguyen
Party is another one of those novels that has an interesting premise, but could have been executed better.

When I found out that this story is told from 11 different perspectives, I was really intrigued. I immediately thought of the movie Vantage Point and remembered how the use of so many different perspectives enhanced the story by having each person be a different puzzle piece to uncovering what happened during the assassination attempt of the President. So I figured, multiple perspectives on
"I'm the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide." You can't get more chilling than that. Or enticing. It goes without saying that I was hooked by first line. Party is an amazing debut for Tom Leveen! It's contemporary and smart. Tom captures the voices of teen angst. Whether you are a party-goer or not, teens will relate to the various characters in each chapter. Jock, nerd, loner, popular, etc. Tying them all together in one catalyst event in their young lives.
Mike Wittmann
This is a great read for any fans of Tom Leveen or YA in general.

The book tells the story of one night, a party to kick-off the summer, with eleven different points of view. Each of the eleven have different expectations or goals for the night; forgetting about an ex, hooking up, talking to the person or their dreams, or simply to make a new friend.

Leveen succeeds at being able to take each point of view and add something significant to the previous chapter. I really enjoyed how he would casual
Sammy Nicholas
I didn't expect this book to be good. I read it because it was in my to-read list and I wanted to get it out. The beginning managed to catch my attention and from there it slowly dragged me in. Before I knew it I was telling my poor friends everthing, and thinking about it when I wasn't reading it! This book got better and better, and the ending was great! The characters were so real and believable. I truly liked this book and am very glad I read it!
Synopsis (from the inside flap):
It's Saturday night in Santa Barbara, and school is done for the year. Everyone is headed to the same party. Or at least it seems that way. The place is packed. The beer is flowing. Simple, right? But for eleven people, the reasons for being there are WAY more complicated...
to confront my ex
to hook up (since that's what everyone expects)
to make a friend...any friend
to numb the pain
to finally talk to her
to piss off my parents
to say goodbye
As each character
For a first book, I am impressed with what this author was able to tackle. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character. I especially enjoyed Josh, the Christian of the book, while not perfect, he never pushed his faith or opinions on others. I want to be like that - different enough that people know I'm a believer, but also not pushing my beliefs on anyone else.
Emilie Vecera
There’s a party tonight at a house near the beach, and everyone will be going. Everyone for a different reason—to hook up, to confront an ex, to make a friend, to say goodbye. Eleven people in particular will have a night that will change their lives forever. As each character shares their story—their view of the world, their perception of what happened during and leading up to the beach party—they will interact, reconnect, collide, and combine in ways no one saw coming.

I was hooked to Tom Levee
Braden Waller
This book was so good! I read this book in a matter of hours and could not put it down. The characters were real and I was able to see them clearly in the setting that they were in. The plot was realistic and very relatable as well. The story centers around one party, and every chapter is a different character, so there is a fresh perspective each time you turn the page. And with each perspective comes new opinions, new bias, new life experiences, new story to be told. This book also reminded me ...more
I'm a Tom Leveen fan, so this review is probably biased. If you haven't read any of his books, start with "Zero"--which is one of the best YA books I've ever read.

Party is my second favorite of Leveen's. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different teen as they navigate the end-of-year party in their town. This is one of those stories that shares with the readers that in order to really understand someone you have to walk a mile in their shoes. I wish I could have had books like
while I appreciated the multiple viewpoints of the characters--and the distinct voices of some of them--the language was harsher than I like.
This book was pretty good. It made me feel warm and fuzzy after reading, as though the main characters all got to a better place than they were at before that night. Now, the mere idea of the crazy, school-wide party was a bit farfetched, but it was executed realistically. The huge ensemble cast could've ended up as one hot mess (see: every ensemble movie ever, from New Year's Eve to Valentine's Day), but most voices were distinct... or at least helped introduce characters or move the plot along ...more
LAME! This book, especially the ending, is LAME!

So why the 3 stars? Because this book did have some redeeming qualities. The best part is the point of view of each chapter is told from 11 different people, each chapter being a different pov. Because of this, I like the idea, especially with the character of Beckett and Azize, that we don't really know what a person is struggling with internally. It's easy to pass judgement on someone that we don't know. That's a great lesson.

That being said, Bec
Avion Hay taylor
Nautica Wedding Long Island_abiti da sposa on line 1 1 Oct 14, 2014 07:07PM
who's your favorite character? 3 11 Jun 04, 2012 03:36PM
  • wtf
  • Lost for Words
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • Crash Test Love
  • Doggirl
  • The Half-Life of Planets
  • Losing Faith
  • The Vinyl Princess
  • Dancing with Molly
  • OyMG
  • Faithful (Faithful, #1)
  • Tagged
  • Damaged
  • Notes from the Blender
  • The September Sisters
  • This Is Not a Drill
  • Saving Maddie
  • Positively Beautiful
Howdy, friendly reader. Real quick: If you write a review on Goodreads (for ANY book), please paste it to an Amazon review, too. It seriously helps your favorite authors. Thanks!

Tom's novels include PARTY, MANICPIXIEDREAMGIRL, SICK, RANDOM, and SHACKLED. He is also in the collection VIOLENT ENDS. His novel ZERO was a YALSA Best Book of 2013. His eighth book. HELLWORLD, will be available Fall 2017.
More about Tom Leveen...
Sick Zero Random Manicpixiedreamgirl Shackled

“I'm the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide. Then suddenly everyone had a class with her.” 542 likes
“... I completely forgot about the pizza until the cops showed up.” 5 likes