Start by marking “Mage-Guard of Hamor (The Saga of Recluce #15)” as Want to Read:
Mage-Guard of Hamor (The Saga of Recluce #15)

Mage-Guard of Hamor (The Saga of Recluce #15)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,335 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Acclaimed bestselling author L. E. Modesitt, Jr. continues his saga of Recluce in Mage-Guard of Hamor. This is the second, after Natural Ordermage, of two volumes set mostly on the continent of Hamor, far across the sea from Recluce, where the saga began.

As young apprentice on the island of Recluce, Rahl was sent to the mages training school for testing before he was banis
Published March 3rd 2009 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mage-Guard of Hamor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mage-Guard of Hamor

Bryan Brown
Jun 12, 2015 Bryan Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story concludes the adventures of Rahl. Overall it was a fun read especially the last half of the book which is largely concerned with a military campaign which is some of what Modesitt Jr does best. My major complaint is with the very minor romance subplot, and a few quibbles with consistency from the first half.

Rahl does continue to grow in this story which is very nice to see. He still struggles with anger problems but as his powers grow he runs into less situations where his power can'
Kevinalbee
Oct 06, 2008 Kevinalbee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read. However, Modesitt's stories in this world are starting to repeat themselves.

Boy kicked out of recluse
boy learns great control of his powers. Boy becomes central to events on other part of world.

Boy aquires a position of power and is happy forever.

Enjoyable but predictable. I like these books but the story line is complete
Liviu
the conclusion to Rahl story (see below for more about the duology in my rv of Natural Ordermage

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... )

excellent stuff with everything as expected, the only annoyance was the name of the protagonist (as it kept reminding me of you know what series, one that I grew to detest profoundly), but that was a pretty major one that bothered me intermittently till the end
Christina
Mar 27, 2016 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another amazing book from L.E. Modesitt Jr. It kept me reading till the very end which I loved. This duology has to be at the top of my favorites.
Yune
Feb 23, 2014 Yune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A direct continuation of Natural Ordermage; do read this one if you liked the previous, but I'm not sure how it'd read without full knowledge of Rahl's journey.

Rahl is considerably more mature now, although he does still exasperate poor Taryl from time to time. And although Hamor's a refreshingly balanced nation compared to the order-obsessed Recluce, Modesitt's not one to let any nation escape the ills of bureaucracy or ambition, and Rahl is soon busy with a military campaign to subdue a rebell
Jeremy Preacher
Sep 22, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Totally unlike its immediate predecessor in plot and theme, Mage-Guard is a straight-up military adventure. It's not particularly focused on the nuts and bolts of army life, rather on a series of, basically, logic puzzles that Rahl has to solve using magic (traps, ambushes, cavalry charges, etc) without exhausting himself or getting his company killed. It's pretty fast-paced and mostly good fun - all the Recluce books are fairly clean, even when the body count starts to climb, and while the mora ...more
William Bentrim
Jan 09, 2010 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mage-Guard of Hamor L.E. Modesitt Jr.

In the continuing saga of Recluce, Modesitt picks up the threads of Rahl, the exiled natural order mage. Exiled from Recluce because his strength and his talent were frightening to the establishment, Rahl suffered a high level of abuse in the last book. In this book, working with Taryl, the former Triad, Rahl begins to gain control of his considerable talent. The intrigue and maneuverings of the various Hamorian factions leads to action and war.

L. E. Modesit
T.I.M. James
Oct 04, 2012 T.I.M. James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have often said that L E Modesitts' Recluce novels are pretty much of a guilty pleasure. I just love them, find them easy to read and enjoy them immensely. Having said that this is the first one that I felt I had 'trouble' with.

That is not to say that I did not enjoy it, but there just seemed to be a little something missing, that very thing that had made the other books that little better than anything else I had read by Modesitt. I'm not sure why, I alwsy thought it was the style in which he
Paul
Jun 04, 2010 Paul rated it liked it
Mage-Guard of Hamor is the finale of the two-part “Rahl Epic” within the Saga of Recluce Series.

In Natural Ordermage, we were introduced to Rahl. He blamed all of his misfortunes on others, never taking responsibility for his own destiny. We were lead to believe at the conclusion of that novel that he’d make good in the next.

In Mage-Guard of Hamor, Rahl’s whining has substantially subsided. What is so disappointing is that the character hardly grows or evolves. He continually moves up in rank an
Doug B.
Feb 11, 2009 Doug B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Modesitt's books and this was no exception. It is part of the Recluce Series which I think now stretches over 20 or so books (which can seem quite daunting), but they tend to fall into small arcs rather then one continuous story. While not necessarily the best hopping on point (being a direct sequel to Natural Ordermage), Modesitt makes a point of delivering a complete story. While exploring similar themes to other of his Recluce books (young mage gains a deeper understanding of h ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Christian
In this particular duology, Mr. Modesitt brings us to the continent of Hamor via Rahl, a natural ordermage that Recluce does not want to, or is unable to, train. Although the story is as interesting as most of the others in the Saga of Recluce and the battle scenes are well described, I found the pace of those two books to be fairly slow, even compared to some of the other novels.
Chris van Gorder
Aug 08, 2008 Chris van Gorder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I have been a fan of Mr. Modesitt for quite some time now, and he never fails to entertain me.

In this closing book of a two-book series set in his recluce Reries, we see Rahl get deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Hamoran society, and more greatly puzzled as he goes along.

I don't want to spoil some of the plot elements by discussing some of the events, so I won't mention them. But as usual, the ending is as spectacularly grand, and explosive, as Mr. Modesitt's fans have come to expect.

Hamor
Fredrick Danysh
May 11, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
After killing corrupt merchants and pirates, Rahl is designated assistant envoy to Recluse to explain his actions and avoid war. Upon his return he is the assistant to the mage overcommander as they set out to help quell a rebellion in Hamor. There are many traitors within both the army and government and Rahl must constantly be on his guard gaining mage powers along the way.
David
I liked this sequel to Natural Ordermage much better than I liked the previous book. In fact, I liked it better than many of Modesitt's books. The main character managed not to end or even endanger a major civilization, and he did not suffer horribly by the end of the book. He neither ended up immortal nor did he have to be rebuilt from the ground up because his body was shattered in a cataclysmic misadventure. I figure all of these count as good points.

Other aspects of the book end in a very sa
Fredrick Danysh
Hamor is at war with itself as two brothers fight to see who will be emperor. Rahl, an ordermage exiled by Recluce, is caught up in the struggle as he is assigned to a scout and recon company. There he must develop his skills in order to survive. A good read.
Chris
Jul 29, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I enjoyed it, but the book was unarguably longer (and slower) than it had to be. The gradual reveal of great things for young Rahl was so obvious, in light of what Modesitt has been with his heroes in other books, that I was impatient for it to happen already.

There's an exploration of the relative importance of troops vs. mages, but this cannot be meaningful without more definition of exactly what a mage is (and where their power comes from, and how they use it, and how one is stronger than anot
Abbey E
Feb 06, 2015 Abbey E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general, fantasy
Rahl was not my favorite protagonist in the Recluce series-not by a long shot- but he grew throughout his two books quite a bit, and there's only one thing I need to say:

THE EPILOGUE MADE IT ALL WORTH IT.

No spoilers, but boy, did that make me happy.
James Eckman
Rahl is a bit of a whiner compared to many Modesitt heroes, but he finally grows up. Sequel to Natural Ordermage, read it first.
Iain Kaslar
Mar 10, 2015 Iain Kaslar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-e-modesitt-jr
one of his better recluse character, Well worth the read if u have enjoyed his other books.
Peter
Jul 16, 2009 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another of the Recluse series, and sequel to Natural Ordermage. The story repeats themes from other books in the Recluce series, particularly military themes from the Cyador and White Order stories. Nonetheless, it's nice to get submerged in a different character, but the familiarity of the Recluce world. At heart it's essentially a love story, but doesn't suffer too much from that :o)
Bethany
Feb 17, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this is honestly my favorite book of all time. I own it on e-book, and hardback. I am even going to buy another copy just so I have it. As far as Sci-Fi and Fantasy goes it is one of the greatest works, and I could not imagine not reading this book at least once a year. Though I do like Natural Ordermage, this book is by far greater.
Virginialee
Jan 28, 2013 Virginialee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Mage-Guard of Hamor is a good follow-up to Natural Ordermage, and shows how Rahl is growing up, as well as improving his use of Order. While he stills get easily frustrated, he uses the lessons given him by Taryl to improve his skills, and discovers how much he's going to need them during the war to re-take Meroway back from the Emperor's brother.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the world of Recluse and I did enjoy the entry into Hamor and its connection to Cyador. I liked it better than Natural Ordermage where the main character was more annoying than likeable. He has grown up in this book which is a good thing. The book is nothing spectactular just a fun visit back to Recluse.
Michelleapril Bragg
That everyone who is working toward something of value will be overhelmed at times. That those that wish to teach and mentor us will not always be kind or supportive, they wish for us to think and understand things on our own.
Leone
Apr 12, 2010 Leone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The sequel to the Natural Order Mage, I found this book a lot of fun to read and typical of the best of the Recluce series. The characters were interesting and the story fast moving and exciting.
Frode
Jul 07, 2011 Frode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like most everything Modesitt writes. The book moves along, albeit slowly at times, but he tells a good story and has his main character grow through experience.
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the previous book, "The Natural Order Mage". It's part of his Recluse saga which continues to grow in depth. Always readable & entertaining.
Miles
Apr 19, 2010 Miles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad by the usual standards of fantasy, but not really up to the standards of the rest of the series, at least in my opinion. Still, worth a read.
M
Aug 09, 2009 M rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The hero is still full of resentment at his treatment, but it wears a bit thin in the second book. Typical one by L E Modesitt, quite enjoyable.
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Mirror of Worlds
  • Dragon Venom (Obsidian Chronicles, #3)
  • Prince of Demons (Renshai Chronicles, #2)
  • Bloodheir (The Godless World, #2)
  • Into a Dark Realm (The Darkwar Saga, #2)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • Time Dancers (The Meq, #2)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #10)

“into position. They have one mage” 0 likes