Start by marking “Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale, #1-3)

Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale #1-3 omnibus)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  680 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Set in an enchanted world one step from reality, R.A. Salvatore's Spearwielder's trilogy follows the adventures of Gary Leger, who stumbles into a realm of elves and dwarves, witches and dragons-and takes up the magical spear of the land's lost hero.
Now, together for the first time in one collectible volume, these three novels showcase the very best of fantasy and advent
Published September 7th 2004 by Ace Trade

To ask other readers questions about Spearwielder's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spearwielder's Tale

Christopher
I have been growing tired of Junior High level books about grand journeys to take X item to Y location. It seemed like every fantasy novel I've read had the typical cookie-cutter characters. Insert Elf, Dwarf, Halfing of some form, Woman warrior (with occasional fanservice), and underdog hero. Boring!

What made this thrilogy (yes thrilogy - new word 03/30/09) different you may ask? I mean, it has an elf, and it has a dwarf, and oh man there's an ignorant and impoverished race of human which doesn
Jeff
No we've added the evil witch, a rock eating dwarf and a Giant named Tommy. Robert the dragon we've yet to meet, but the leprechaun said Tolkien got the look right.
Book 2, The Woods Out Back, finished 13 dec '14, is a great start to the set. A breezy, fast pace(for walking everywhere), and a firm grounding in the characters, if not to much in their motivations. It also exposed some of the undercurrents perking, & the various attitudes toward them. Looking forward to book 2: The Dragon's Dag
Amanda Hamilton
For a book that is an made up of three books in a trilogy, it was actually pretty easy to get through. It was fun and adventurous and yeah. I liked it. Like the "Landover" story I read WAY back a few months ago, its a fish out of water story but it didn't come off so much as a self-insert situation. Maybe because the main character Gary was in too much danger to be totally awesome. It was realistic how at first he wasn't sure of himself and gradually began to feel more confident and heroic.

I he
Allison
I enjoyed it well enough. For the most part. For a fantasy book that had a lot going on, it was actually sort of slow to me. I never wanted to put it down, but I never was really excited to pick it back up. And I could have done without the commentary. The author's main character makes comments about how war in real life is so horrible/political/unnecessary and then the main character goes to the fantasy land and is forever fighting. But I suppose it's all OK because when he fights he fights to ...more
Savannah
I wasn't sure when one of our library volunteers suggested that this belonged in the YA rather than adult, but having read it, I have to agree: only teens would find the silly plays on words as amusing as the author seems to. Really, this takes a number of genre cliches and turns them a little bit askew while still being your basic magical-characters-and-fights fantasy.

Great for sword-and-sorcery fans; not so much for anyone looking for realistic or very sophisticated fantasy.
Noel
Careese Rials
This was a good fantasy story. True to the faerie lore. Well written.
Sarah Miller
I really enjoyed this book because it was a book of a person who lives in the present, but stumbled into the past. I like books set in past settings, but I liked the point of view of this person suddenly being somewhere he shouldn't have been.
Krzysztof Kot
Picked this up in search of some good, mindless, fantasy. It was certainly mindless. Poorly written, predictable plot and characters that I had a hard time seeing as anything but two dimensional archetypes. Pity.
Ron
Incredibly dull, bland, and boring. Main characters aren't fleshed out at all, and you never fear the protagonists are in danger. The concept for the book was decent, but it just wasn't held up with the writing.
Joseph Schlag
good battle scene descriptions. hokey characters.
Kelly
Not too bad but it took me a very long time to actually get into this and like it. I would say by the 3rd book I was hooked.
Evelyn
This was a great high fantasy. I seriously recommend this to people who want it all from elves, leprechauns, and dragons.
David Robins
The rest of the trilogy continues in the same vein as the first; good yarn, well told.
Julie
A good read. But not one of Salvatore's best.
Erik Horn
Erik Horn marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Michael Kitzinger
Michael Kitzinger marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Vance Pendley
Vance Pendley marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rina
Rina marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • An Enemy Reborn
  • The Righteous Blade (Dreamtime, #2)
  • The Cycle of Fire (The Cycle of Fire, #1-3)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Realms of Magic (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #3)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • A Warrior's Journey (Dragonlance: Ergoth, #1)
  • 2XS (Shadowrun, #4)
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best- ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)