Start by marking “Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale, #1-3)

Spearwielder's Tale (Spearwielder's Tale #1-3 omnibus)

Set in an enchanted world one step from reality, R.A. Salvatore's Spearwielder's trilogy follows the adventures of Gary Leger, who stumbles into a realm of elves and dwarves, witches and dragons-and takes up the magical spear of the land's lost hero.
Now, together for the first time in one collectible volume, these three novels showcase the very best of fantasy and advent
Published September 7th 2004 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Spearwielder's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spearwielder's Tale

Homeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Crystal Shard by R.A. SalvatoreThe Lone Drow by R.A. SalvatoreServant of the Shard by R.A. SalvatoreSojourn by R.A. Salvatore
Best Robert A. Salvatore Book
62nd out of 80 books — 19 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Book of Lost Things by John ConnollyNeverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Portal Fantasy Books
43rd out of 115 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher
Mar 30, 2009 Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have been growing tired of Junior High level books about grand journeys to take X item to Y location. It seemed like every fantasy novel I've read had the typical cookie-cutter characters. Insert Elf, Dwarf, Halfing of some form, Woman warrior (with occasional fanservice), and underdog hero. Boring!

What made this thrilogy (yes thrilogy - new word 03/30/09) different you may ask? I mean, it has an elf, and it has a dwarf, and oh man there's an ignorant and impoverished race of human which doesn
Jeff
Jan 09, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
No we've added the evil witch, a rock eating dwarf and a Giant named Tommy. Robert the dragon we've yet to meet, but the leprechaun said Tolkien got the look right.
Book 2, The Woods Out Back, finished 13 dec '14, is a great start to the set. A breezy, fast pace(for walking everywhere), and a firm grounding in the characters, if not to much in their motivations. It also exposed some of the undercurrents perking, & the various attitudes toward them. Looking forward to book 2: The Dragon's Dag
Amanda Hamilton
Nov 03, 2012 Amanda Hamilton rated it liked it
For a book that is an made up of three books in a trilogy, it was actually pretty easy to get through. It was fun and adventurous and yeah. I liked it. Like the "Landover" story I read WAY back a few months ago, its a fish out of water story but it didn't come off so much as a self-insert situation. Maybe because the main character Gary was in too much danger to be totally awesome. It was realistic how at first he wasn't sure of himself and gradually began to feel more confident and heroic.

I he
Allison
Sep 19, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
I enjoyed it well enough. For the most part. For a fantasy book that had a lot going on, it was actually sort of slow to me. I never wanted to put it down, but I never was really excited to pick it back up. And I could have done without the commentary. The author's main character makes comments about how war in real life is so horrible/political/unnecessary and then the main character goes to the fantasy land and is forever fighting. But I suppose it's all OK because when he fights he fights to ...more
Jeremy
Oct 28, 2015 Jeremy rated it really liked it
Loads of fun! Contrived and over the top, but somewhat aware of itself at the same time. Fans of fantasy who want to step out of the D&D universe might want to check this one out. Much like his other book sets, this is a fast easy read and, in my opinion, slots somewhere between young adult and mature fiction.
Nuranar
Oct 19, 2015 Nuranar rated it liked it
A fun read! I don't remember a whole lot of details, but it will be fun to read again.
Savannah
Sep 23, 2009 Savannah rated it liked it
I wasn't sure when one of our library volunteers suggested that this belonged in the YA rather than adult, but having read it, I have to agree: only teens would find the silly plays on words as amusing as the author seems to. Really, this takes a number of genre cliches and turns them a little bit askew while still being your basic magical-characters-and-fights fantasy.

Great for sword-and-sorcery fans; not so much for anyone looking for realistic or very sophisticated fantasy.
Noel
Dec 02, 2011 Noel rated it really liked it
Careese Rials
Jan 06, 2014 Careese Rials rated it really liked it
This was a good fantasy story. True to the faerie lore. Well written.
Sarah Miller
Apr 02, 2012 Sarah Miller rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because it was a book of a person who lives in the present, but stumbled into the past. I like books set in past settings, but I liked the point of view of this person suddenly being somewhere he shouldn't have been.
Krzysztof Kot
Jun 29, 2009 Krzysztof Kot rated it did not like it
Picked this up in search of some good, mindless, fantasy. It was certainly mindless. Poorly written, predictable plot and characters that I had a hard time seeing as anything but two dimensional archetypes. Pity.
Ron
Aug 07, 2011 Ron rated it did not like it
Incredibly dull, bland, and boring. Main characters aren't fleshed out at all, and you never fear the protagonists are in danger. The concept for the book was decent, but it just wasn't held up with the writing.
Joseph Schlag
Dec 30, 2013 Joseph Schlag rated it liked it
good battle scene descriptions. hokey characters.
Kelly
Nov 29, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not too bad but it took me a very long time to actually get into this and like it. I would say by the 3rd book I was hooked.
Evelyn
Feb 18, 2008 Evelyn rated it liked it
This was a great high fantasy. I seriously recommend this to people who want it all from elves, leprechauns, and dragons.
David Robins
Feb 28, 2011 David Robins rated it really liked it
The rest of the trilogy continues in the same vein as the first; good yarn, well told.
Julie
Oct 09, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
A good read. But not one of Salvatore's best.
Donnie Cooper
Donnie Cooper marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Imoen
Imoen rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2016
Mike Eastman
Mike Eastman rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Nohemy
Nohemy marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Christopher Buley
Christopher Buley rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2016
Rage Funk
Rage Funk marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Inemity
Inemity rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Allen Smith
Allen Smith rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
  • The Diamond Isle (Dreamtime, #3)
  • An Obvious Enchantment
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. I
  • An Enemy Reborn (Realms of Chaos: The Second Book)
  • The Cycle of Fire (The Cycle of Fire, #1-3)
  • A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)
  • Realms of Magic (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #3)
  • Ring of Intrigue (Dance of the Rings, #2)
  • Grails: Quests of the Dawn
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Realms of Infamy (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #2)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Confidential Confessions, Volume 4
  • 2XS (Shadowrun, #4)
  • Highwaymen: Robbers and Rogues
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

Spearwielder's Tale (3 books)
  • The Woods Out Back (Spearwielder's Tale, #1)
  • The Dragon's Dagger (Spearwielder's Tale, #2)
  • Dragonslayer's Return (Spearwielder's Tale, #3)