Start by marking “The Complete Stories” as Want to Read:
The Complete Stories

The Complete Stories

From the internationally acclaimed Australian writer: a single volume gathering a brilliant new collection of his short fiction, Every Move You Make, and all of his previously published stories.

In the heretofore unpublished Every Move You Make: bookish boys and taciturn men, strong women and wayward sons, fathers and daughters, lovers and husbands, a composer and his muse,
Published July 24th 2007 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Stories

Julie Griffin
Jul 14, 2016 Julie Griffin rated it it was amazing
Chose this book to read as part of Reading Around the World Challenge. It has been hard finding books from some of the countries in translation, and with Australia we finally had a plethora from which to choose. Malouf is touted as the next potential Nobel winner from Australia, so after much consideration we chose his Complete Stories, and it was a good choice. A lot of books clang along with bumps and swerves, telling a story being the only consideration; Malouf's work is a sports car sailing ...more
Renee
Jan 06, 2009 Renee rated it liked it
I'm going to say upfront, I didn't finish reading this book. I renewed it 3 times at the library thinking, Oh, I'll finish it now! yet I never did. I can't say why except that his stories seemed incredibly dense, but not rewarding.

Here's the opposite problem of which I often complain: this felt like beautiful writing (usually my favorite, as anybody who reads just a few of my reviews can gather) but the stories lacked a plot or character that evoked any sort of emotional response in me. So, the
Sara Norquay
Jan 15, 2011 Sara Norquay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of stories introduces the reader to Australia and specifically Brisbane where the author grew up. David Malouf is interested in the inner lives of his characters and he seems to understand a great variety of people from all walks of life. It is a large collection (all the stories he wrote to the year of publishing) and had to be read over a period of time but no matter when I picked it up to read I found interesting people and a profoundly vivid description of the places.
Sean Glover
Jun 12, 2008 Sean Glover rated it liked it
While some of the stories are interesting, most are nostalgic, sentimental, and, dare I say, aristocratic. However, magnificent writing and authorship, relatively easy to read. Some things are said in a straight forward way, but are very complicated things to say.
Joy
Sep 29, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Australian author, well written and a new view point for me - fresh and intriguing.
Alison
Sep 07, 2008 Alison rated it it was ok
There's no doubt this is a well crafted collection. It's not an easy read. The stories really need to be studied, unlocked, so to speak, to appreciate them. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.
RUSA CODES
Feb 24, 2011 RUSA CODES rated it it was amazing
This was one of the 2008 RUSA Notable Books winners. For the complete list, go to http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rus...
Bcpl
Oct 22, 2007 Bcpl added it
Ok, I gave up on this one. I read a few stories, but didn't keep going.
Kit
Kit rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Gary Lawrence
Gary Lawrence rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Umbertoservillo
Umbertoservillo rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2017
Robin Humphries
Robin Humphries rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2011
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
cajunqueen
cajunqueen rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2017
Darryl
Darryl rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Courtenay
Courtenay rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Nadia
Nadia rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Kyla
Kyla rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2015
María
María rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2017
John Simmons
John Simmons rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Baylasan
Baylasan rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2012
David Winger
David Winger rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Sherry Mabry
Sherry Mabry rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2012
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Graham Crawford
Graham Crawford rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
  • Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories
  • Given Ground
  • An Empty Room
  • Touch
David Malouf is the author of ten novels and six volumes of poetry. His novel The Great World was awarded both the prestigious Commonwealth Prize and the Prix Femina Estranger. Remembering Babylon was short-listed for the Booker Prize. He has also received the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and the Los Angeles Times Book Award. He lives in Sydney, Australia.
More about David Malouf...