Start by marking “The Caterpillar and the Polliwog” as Want to Read:
The Caterpillar and the Polliwog

The Caterpillar and the Polliwog

Impressed by the proud caterpillar's boast that she will turn into a butterfly when she grows up, a polliwog determines to watch the caterpillar very carefully and turn into a butterfly too.
Published March 1st 1985 by Aladdin (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Caterpillar and the Polliwog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caterpillar and the Polliwog

Caterpillar Rhyme Time by Della RoseTen Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin Jr.The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleCharlie the Caterpillar by Dom DeluiseThe Caterpillar and the Polliwog by Jack Kent
Caterpillars
5th out of 11 books — 2 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleTen Little Caterpillars by Bill Martin Jr.Butterfly Eyes and Other Secrets of the Meadow by Joyce SidmanA Butterfly Is Patient by Dianna Hutts AstonFrom Caterpillar to Butterfly by Deborah Heiligman
Picture Books About Butterflies
16th out of 99 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Even though this book dates from 1982, it's still a great story, a classic. Caterpillar boasts to polliwog that she's going to turn into something else, and is dismayed to hear polliwog say that he's going to turn into something else too--except he thinks it's going to be a fish. He watches as caterpillar spins her cocoon, and decides to wait to see what she changes into. However, while he waits, he begins to change too. What will they both finally look like? This story would pair well with ...more
June
Jun 02, 2015 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
Fell in love with the story back when I used filmstrips. I still use the story for a bug/caterpillar or frog story time. 6/13/11

Used for my story time, even though it may be a little long. It got checked out after the program. 5/29/13

Used again for Story Time. It is a little long, unfortunately I read it first and then had an older girl come in late... 5/20/14

Yep, too long for my story time group, which is mostly 2's.

Kelli
Jul 08, 2011 Kelli rated it really liked it
A story of a rather vain caterpillar who brags that she will one day be a butterfly. Her friend polliwog is told by a fish that he too will change. The excitement mounts as these two friends grow and change. Published in 1982, so illustrations and colors are old-timey, but they add to the charm of the story.
Sylvester
Oct 18, 2016 Sylvester rated it liked it
3* art
3* story

A fun story, and Squirt enjoyed learning about how the creatures transform.
Vivian
Mar 17, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This delightful story about "transformation" or "metamorphosis" is a little wordy to use in a library pre-school story time. However, if the performer is familiar with the text it can easily be read aloud start to finish and keep every one's attention.

The caterpillar brags that when she grows up she will turn into something else. The pollywog wants to turn into something else, too. A passing fish assures him that he will, so he assumes he will become a butterfly just like the haughty caterpilla
Annie Carbutt
Jul 21, 2015 Annie Carbutt rated it did not like it
A caterpillar brags to a polliwog that she will soon change into a butterfly. Having been told by a fish that he will also change, the polliwog assumes he will become a butterfly too. But when he turns into a frog, he is happily surprised. This is not the best picture book I’ve come across. The storyline is mediocre as are the illustrations. The design seems uninteresting and inexpensive (cheap matte paper, flimsy cover). The illustrations and words also don’t seem to play off each other in the ...more
Lorena Magallanes
May 03, 2015 Lorena Magallanes rated it it was amazing
The Caterpillar and the Polliwog by Jack Kent is an adorably told story of a caterpillar and polliwog who create a friendship after bonding over a common factor. Both a caterpillar and polliwog transform into different animals when they reach a certain age. A caterpillar turns into a butterfly, and a polliwog into a frog. While the polliwog did not turn into a butterfly as he had expected, he still learned to accept himself as a frog!

The illustrations follow along with the story, in colors of d
Hannah Smith-Morgan
Apr 13, 2013 Hannah Smith-Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-stories
This is an adorable little book that describes a caterpillar who is very proud of the fact that she will become a butterfly. The polliwog is jealous of this fact and wants to watch the caterpillar transform. So they polliwog watches the butterfly come out of the cocoon and gets so excited that he bounces! He had been so focused on the butterfly, that he hadn't noticed that he had changed into a frog! This is a great book to teach the life cycle of a frog with. My practicum teacher used it to ...more
Jennifer Foeller
I think I liked this one more than my 5 year old daughter did. She's really fascinated by metamorphosis at the moment and we had fun watching several frog species and a couple toads in amplexus after the last heavy rainstorm. In other words, tadpoles and polliwogs are on the brain right now as we've been watching them grow in the pond. This book is more picture book than educational book, but it was still fun to read.

I love the vintage illustrations. Just so much orange. If they had orange fabr
Dee
Apr 23, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
This adorable book is a winner. Informative with a very cute story and giggle-out-loud lines. I can't wait to share this one with my emerging reader. Caterpillar thinks she is special because she is going to turn into something else. The snail could care less and the turtle didn't much like wiggly things. The fun begins when she meets polliwog who agrees that is indeed a pretty neat thing. He is so busy watching caterpillar's metamorphosis that he doesn't notice his own. A very cute ending. ...more
Linh Tong
Nov 30, 2012 Linh Tong rated it it was amazing
This book teaches students to accept the differences in others and themselves. The polliwog wanted to be like the caterpillar to turn into a butterfly. Little did he know, that he will turn into something too but not a butterfly. He transformed into a frog. I can use this book to talk about metamorphosis. I can bring in an egg. The students will use their imagination to guess what the egg will turn into. They will then write a story about what the animal in the egg will look like, will eat, etc.
Emily Farmer
Nov 08, 2012 Emily Farmer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
This was an ok book about a caterpillar and a polliwog both wanting to become butterflies. In the end the polliwog doesn't become a butterfly, obviously, but instead he admires himself for who he is. This is kinda a neat book that you could talk aobut how frogs are first polliwogs and caterpillars turn into butterflies. I likes this book because it was a simple, fast read that many children could learn to read on, but the pictures were very blah.
The Brothers
The caterpillar is so proud that she gets to change into something completely different that she goes around the pond bragging to everyone who will listen. The polliwog hears her and is curious. He is so intent on watching her transformation that he doesn't notice his own.

Cute illustrations.
Asho
Jul 06, 2013 Asho rated it really liked it
I don't remember ever reading this book as a child, but something about the images definitely reminded me of my childhood. My 15 month-old liked this one, too. He took it out of my hands and turned the pages, and we spent a lot of time just pointing at the pictures and labeling things. The polliwog/frog is particularly cute.
Angelina
Dec 15, 2015 Angelina rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books is "Just Only John" by Jack Kent. It, as well as this book, had me smiling at the precious pictures and reading the clever conversations. This book will be a real favorite with our preschoolers!
Karalynn
Jul 17, 2014 Karalynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable picture book of a frog and a caterpillar going through metamorphosis at the same time. This story could be used to segue into a science lesson, as well as a discussion about people/animals change as they grow up.
Jeanette
Mar 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it really liked it
A proud caterpillar goes around bragging about the fact that she will turn into something else when she grows up. When a polliwog hears her he decides that he too wants to change into something else and watches the caterpillar to find out how she does it.

A favorite with my 5 year old.
Kendall
Oct 19, 2011 Kendall rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

A simple but GREAT classic! Kids love the anticipation that builds when reading this story aloud...They keep trying to "tell" the caterpillar and tadpole what is going to happen. So cute--I use this with a frog unit in library when the kids are studying lifecycles. So much fun!
jacky
Dec 09, 2015 jacky rated it liked it
William likes learning about tadpoles and frogs, so I got this out for him. Turns out, Natalie knew it from school.
Kelley Moore
This book would be good to teach students about how different animals transform into different animals.
Elijah Libert
Jul 29, 2016 Elijah Libert rated it it was amazing
It is just the cutest book ever. The polliwog is my favorite, but he is a tadpole. The caterpillar drawing were like the cutest little things, with bonnets and tufts of hair on its back.
Karen
Jun 19, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: with-cc
Great little science book for the elementary classroom discussing metamorphosis because it's not just factual, but has a cute little story.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Skylar Burris
Sep 24, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Currently, one of my daughter's favorite books. Cute illustrations. There's also a great Scholastic DVD version of the story.
Sandra
Jan 11, 2010 Sandra rated it it was amazing
This books offers a fun and engaging way to teach how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly and a polliwog becomes a frog.
Bob Nielsen
Bob Nielsen rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Zrinka
Zrinka rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2009
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Karen Berry
Karen Berry rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cows Can't Fly
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug!
  • Hi, Pizza Man!