Start by marking “Winners Never Quit!” as Want to Read:
Winners Never Quit!

Winners Never Quit!

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Mia Hamm, American soccer champion and best–selling author of Go for the Goal, tells a true–life–inspired story of learning that winning and losing aren't as important as being part of a team.

More than anyone, soccer superstar Mia Hamm knows the value of teamwork and perseverance. She shares this lesson, paired with energetic illustrations by Carol Thompson, in this motiva
Published April 25th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Winners Never Quit!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winners Never Quit!

Science at Work in Soccer by Richard HantulaSoccer by Larry EdwardsThe Flea by Michael PartThe Keeper by Tim HowardWinners Never Quit! by Mia Hamm
Soccer - Youth (for Booked107)
5th out of 19 books — 3 voters
Moneyball by Michael LewisFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
167th out of 536 books — 520 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Since it's World Cup time, I wanted to find a few picture books featuring soccer/futball. I was a bit skeptical that this was a star vehicle for Mia Hamm that would have everything to do with quick sales and little to do with lasting quality. I am happy to be proven wrong!

In the story, young Mia loves to play soccer with her family. She loves it when she scores goals and everyone cheers! She does not care so much for missing goals... no goal, no cheers. It seems like Mia always wants to quit whe
Cindi

Right away the young reader will identify with Mia through the text and the illustrations. Mia is just like every other kid that wants to hang out with her friends doing something she loves. They all meet in a park to play soccer. The text is easy to read for independent readers and the sentences are just the right length for those that will need the book read to them. The illustrations are colorful and realistic even though they are cartoon-like characters.

The story of being a good sport and pe
Lindsey Mineweaser
Mia is a little girl who loves to play all different sports especially soccer. However, Mia gets very frustrated and quits playing soccer with her friends every time she misses a goal. Eventually, her friends do not let her play anymore. This teaches Mia that it is okay to lose and that winners never quit.

There is a lot of onomatopoeia that makes this book very entertaining to read out loud. Some examples are, “tap, tap, tap” when Mia is dribbling the soccer ball and “smack” when Mia shoots the
Lindsey Mineweaser

Alison
Nov 15, 2007 Alison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all soccer players/lovers
Is an awesome soccer book written by an awesome soccer player!
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book and the message it sends to its readers (especially young children) is very important. I feel this book would work great with any level because the thought of quitting can relate to everyone in any area. This book could be read to the class when a big test is coming up or even just an ordinary day to remind the students to give it their best in school, sports, hobbies, etc.
Although Mia Hamm's name is on this book, it is really just about a regular girl who learns the value of sportsmanship. One of the most interesting pages comes inside the book cover where there are pictures representing how she grew up with soccer. The first picture is a baby in a basket with a soccer ball sitting next to her tied up in a ribbon, then she is a baby sitting up, and so on, until at the end you see her with the ball and a big smile on her face. Both boys and girls can relate to thi ...more
george
I didn't realize that soccer star Mia Hamm is the author of this book until after I got home from the library. It's such a great book! Little Mis loves to play a lot of sports, but soccer is by far her favorite. She loves to control the ball, and she *really* loves to score a goal and hear the cheers from her teammates and friends. But when she doesn't score, there are no cheers. And Mia quits. Stomping into the house, Mia's friends and family call after her to come back, but she refuses. The ne ...more
(NS) Heatherk
This is an autobiography written by U.S. Soccer Star, Mia Hamm. Most my students did not know who she was, however her picture book story has a great theme and story plot. Mia as a young girl loved to play soccer and got used to always scoring goals. Mia begins missing goals, quickly becomes discouraged, and eventually, quits playing with those in her neighborhood. As Mia watches the other children play soccer, she finds that playing is more important than always winning. Further, Mia learns an ...more
Adriana Mendoza
The famous quote by Vince Lombardi
“Winners Never Quit and Quitters Never Win” provides a good description of this wonderful story. Mia Hamm, famous soccer player, sends a powerful message to young readers about not giving up. The beautiful illustrations show how her family influenced her life.
This book lends itself well to a strategy lesson on making predictions. Since young readers show interest in sports, such as soccer, they may have a lot of background knowledge that will support their comp
Nicole
A great message along with a sporty girl and that isn't even an issue? Yes please.
Ashley Fischer
This book is a great book to read and follow with talking about good sportsmanship. In my classroom I would read this book and then as a class talk about what good sportsmanship is and when we need to use good sportsmanship. We would talk about recess, games played in the classroom, PE class, and any other times that the students can think of that they need to use good sportsmanship. Talking about good sportsmanship could build into making playground rules and playing fair. With this book, we co ...more
Allie Pierskalla
This is an adorable book to show kids about perseverance. It is Mia's story about her road to becoming one of the best soccer players ever.
Krista
This book portrays a great message of never giving up, even if you don't succeed at first. It’s important that children are provided with this lesson early on so they don’t give up on something that could bring them great experiences or fortune in the future. With it being a sports book, I think it would grab the attention of all students, male and female. The illustrations are fun and active to match the story line.
Abbey Smith
Mia Hamm is one of my lifelong idols. This book represents why she was (and still is) such an icon for young soccer players like myself. She accomplished so much during her years of playing soccer, and she did it all with extreme class. This story is perfect for teaching writing and pulling out the Author's true message in the story. I also use this story when we write about Heroes because Mia is my hero. :)
Tricia
Obviously with mini-Mia Hamm living in my house, a book by Mia Hamm about soccer was a BIG hit. She tells the story of being a young soccer player and becoming frustrated when she failed to make a goal. Her brothers and sisters encouraged her to be a good sport and play whether she wins or loses. A good lesson for our young players of any sport.
Jessica P.
Famous soccer player, Mia Hamm, as a child, had days where she wanted to give up on the game of soccer. Her coaches and friends all kept cheering her on, and soon, she got better and better. And, obviously, she thought it was more fun to continute playing the game than give up!
Marcia
A just-right picture book to teach what it means to lose gracefully. An important lesson, told in the context of young Mia, who goes on to soccer greatness. Kids will relate to the tears and desire to quit when the team loses. Nicecly illustrated and perfect for the very young.
Kia M.
Great book to read to your class when teaching them to never give up. Even if you mess up on something you are good at be sure to never get discouraged. Many of us will hit rough patches, but it is important to push through,and keep at it. Great motivational tool!
Cana
Mommy says: You may find this hard to believe, but Mia Hamm may have actually written this book by herself, no ghostwriter. Cute story about enjoying the process as well as the product.
Shawn Elswick
This book shows children how to lose gracefully and not to give up when they lose. This book was written by Olympic Gold Medalist Mia Hamm of The United States Womens Soccer Team.
Jade Saleem
This book is about exactly what the title says " winners never quit" This book encourages students to not give up, hang in there and continue to be successful.
Amy
Aimed at the younger set, but still a good message for all. More so, it's a way for those of us who loved watching her play, to introduce her to our own kids.
Jessica
Mia loves soccer, and she is pretty good. In this story Mia learns she can't always win and that is important not be a sore loser.
Katelyn Warner
* Inspires kids that playing is more important than winning
* Good for classroom library/sports
* Beautiful water color illustrations
John
Read this one with my nephew. Very cute children's book that has some great illustrations and a good lesson for kids to learn from.
Amanda
Cute story about playing whether you win or lose. Especially applicable to soccer players, but also useful lesson for any child.
Katie Nichols
For the 2006-2009 category. Good inspirational book about perserverance by famous soccer player MIa Hamm.
NeSsA
Dec 12, 2007 NeSsA rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sports people
Shelves: favs
i no i no it a little little kid book but it has a good message plus it bout socca u should read it!!!
Vicki
A fine book about not giving up and trying harder by the premier woman's soccer play Mia Hamm.
a soccer book! 1 3 Oct 28, 2009 05:18PM
  • Something Beautiful
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • Sneetches are Sneetches: Learn About Same and Different
  • Pinduli
Mariel Margaret Garciaparra, best known as Mia Hamm, is a retired American soccer player. Hamm played many years as a forward for the United States women's national soccer team and was a founding member of the Washington Freedom. Hamm has scored more international goals in her career than any other player, male or female, in the history of soccer (158).

Hamm is an iconic symbol of women's sports an
More about Mia Hamm...
Go For the Goal: A Champion's Guide To Winning In Soccer And Life Wusa Girl's Guide to Soccer Life In the Footsteps of Champions: The University of Tennessee Lady Volunteers, the First Three Decades Mia Hamm, Superestrella del Futbol Soccer: Soccer Superstar