Start by marking “American Beauty: The Shooting Script” as Want to Read:

......Best Actor!

......Best Actress!

......Best Screenplay!

......Best Score!

Best Picture Of The Year!
—National Board of Review, Rolling Stone
Published February 17th 2000 by Newmarket Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about American Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Beauty

Steven
First off, this is the script of the actual movie, not the script Ball originally wrote. Both Ball, in his afterward, and director Sam Mendes in his introduction, discuss how the filming and editing process modified the story. Mendes talks about how, reading the screenplay on an airplane he read it back to back, called his agent to say he wanted to make the movie, read it again—and then read it again. I understand how he feels. Although I saw the movie first (when it came out), reading the scree ...more
Jeff
This was a brilliant script. I have yet to see the movie, but the script really brings itself to life, and helps to illustrate Lester's struggle in his family to regain power. While the script could have done with a bit more typo checking, the style of Ball's writing helped to infer the camera's location and bring the shots into your head. I have read that little changed from the script to the movie, which usually means that everyone was happy the way it was, and with the awards it won, I'm not ...more
Stephanie
So weird.

1/5 stars
Ruhat alp
nothingness:

this bag was dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I realized there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cav
M. Donner
A script of amazing beauty.

Alan Ball captures humanity with a world-vision that is wonderfully his. I recommend this script for anyone who writes, is a film student, or merely is interested in how the form of a shooting script transfers into a final film.

For the best movies, and their scripts, there are aspects of them, individually, which stand out. But, both the film, and the American Beauty script are unforgettable, and together create the evocative piece American Beauty is.
Nyie Rombeng
look closer....!
karena setiap hal tidak dapat dinilai dari luar saja namun dari dalamnya lah yang lebih nyata.
allright,readers!,pesan moral yang bagus dari american beauty ini merupakan potret suka duka kehidupan keluarga yang kapitalis&liberalis amerika.
saat para anak-anak mereka dimanjakan harta,mimpi buruk akan haus kasih sayang yang sebenarnya menghantui.cerita yang klasik namun edukatif bagi orang biasa seperti kita,readers:D
Peter O'Brien
Sometimes I feel cheated reading a shooting script because what you are reading is almost always exactly the same as what you get in the actual film. While this was also the case with American Beauty, I would gladly re-read it a dozen times more! The film itself is brilliant, but clearly behind it there is a great deal of even better writing.
Timothy
I put that I liked it because it was an enjoyable script to read (just as the film is even more enjoyable). It would have been better, though, if it had any director's notes or anything like that... or, like, if the script clearly differed from the movie (as it often does), which would've been more interesting to compare.
Indigotulip
Wow. Finding - or is that noticing, choosing beauty in the modern manufactured suburban malaise. I'd love a wife/mother role that wasn't so shallow, but it's perfect (ha!) for this. A 2000s rendition of Ordinary People: direct, powerful, revealing what we know, showing the taboos we don't take for granted.
Atzin Moraless
I bought this in order to get an idea of how to format a screenplay and I have to say it is beautiful in every sense!
Allan Ball's characters, dialogue, and dramatic construction is impressive and prolific. Now to see what my pen can flourish!
David Tendo
Read like an extended episode of Six Feet Under or Desperate Housewives. It should've been interesting, but it's really just another irritating showcase of shallow and ungrateful people bitching about the excesses, vanity and futility of American suburban life.
Ali
Dec 29, 2013 Ali added it
This film was gorgeous and its writing was about as good as it gets. Writing one fully developed character is hard enough, and this managed six. Reading the script is worthwhile when the writing was so much of what made American Beauty amazing fiction.
Rachel C.
This story embodies a particular kind of good writing - that is, where the characters behave oddly and constantly surprise you, and yet their choices never seem less than completely organic.
Mark Woodland
Considering that I went to school with Alan Ball (FSU), I really have no excuse for not having read this already. He was a real creative force even back then.
Maria Gillis
This is my new standard for screenwriting. If I can write a script like this, I will be very pleased with myself, no matter what attention it receives.
Naphtah Morisseau
This book was excellent on depicting the faults of the American Dream.. Everyone had their own personal problem but lacked communication...
Saman
Apr 29, 2008 Saman added it

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده‌ است؛ می‌توانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Jill
I saw this with the man I love. I knew that it would be the winner. I may have lost the man, but I was right about the movie.
Faezeh
یادم نمی‌آد فیلم‌نامه ی دیگه ای خونده باشم تا حالا.ولی این لعنتی،این فرق داشت.
Kyle Steeves
One of the great American screenplays of all time.
Jane
Is it weird that I liked it better than the movie? Haha.
Marya Gates
One of the greatest things I've ever read, period.
Jframirez
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Joseph
Super duper entertaining script. Fantastic.
Stephanie
Read it for my Screenwriting class! Loved it!
Tenzin
Sick. That's all I can say.
Lavonyw
Lavonyw marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Novels which pair with the film, 'American Beauty'? 1 3 Mar 29, 2014 08:47PM
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Almost Famous (Screenplays)
  • Good Will Hunting
  • The Royal Tenenbaums
  • Evenfall Vol. 2 Director's Cut
  • Before Sunrise & Before Sunset: Two Screenplays
  • The Story of Us

Alan Ball is an Academy Award-winning screenwriter, director, producer and occasional actor, who is best known for writing the screenplay for the Oscar-winning film American Beauty, and for creating the HBO original drama series Six Feet Under.
More about Alan Ball...
True Blood: All Together Now (True Blood Comics, #1) Six Feet Under: Better Living Through Death Five Women Wearing the Same Dress True Blood #1 True Blood #4

“I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much; my heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold onto it. And then it flows through me like rain, and I can’t feel anything but gratitude—for every single moment of my stupid, little life. You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure; but don’t worry….you will someday.” 26 likes