Start by marking “American Beauty: The Shooting Script” as Want to Read:

......Best Actor!

......Best Actress!

......Best Screenplay!

......Best Score!

Best Picture Of The Year!
National Board of Review, Rolling Stone
Published February 17th 2000 by Newmarket Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about American Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Beauty

Anuradha
Full disclosure: I never had plans of reading this; I found this "book" in the library quite by accident, and thought "why the hell not?". I say "book" because it is not a book per se, but the filming script for the movie. A movie which I absolutely adored. I am, by nature, a rather cynical person, so satirical, dark humour appeals to me deeply.

The director of the movie, Sam Mendes called it a 'kaleidoscopic journey through the American suburbia'. I'm not American, and I don't know how the quin
Steven
May 12, 2008 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: screenplay
First off, this is the script of the actual movie, not the script Ball originally wrote. Both Ball, in his afterward, and director Sam Mendes in his introduction, discuss how the filming and editing process modified the story. Mendes talks about how, reading the screenplay on an airplane he read it back to back, called his agent to say he wanted to make the movie, read it again—and then read it again. I understand how he feels. Although I saw the movie first (when it came out), reading the scree ...more
Gavriil Gabriel
Feb 26, 2017 Gavriil Gabriel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember thinking WHAT THE FUCK?!?! at the end of each act. And that's what screenplays are about. Making the audience feel something - American beauty is Visceral and bloody resonant.

Ruhat alp
Aug 22, 2012 Ruhat alp rated it it was amazing
nothingness:

this bag was dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I realized there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cav
Jeff
Apr 13, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant script. I have yet to see the movie, but the script really brings itself to life, and helps to illustrate Lester's struggle in his family to regain power. While the script could have done with a bit more typo checking, the style of Ball's writing helped to infer the camera's location and bring the shots into your head. I have read that little changed from the script to the movie, which usually means that everyone was happy the way it was, and with the awards it won, I'm not ...more
Vendula Kreplová
Sep 05, 2015 Vendula Kreplová rated it liked it
Shelves: screenplays
Tento scénář je důkazem toho, že někdy film v sobě obsahuje kouzlo, které řádky v knize nedokážou zachytit. Jde stále o názornou ukázku kvalitní scenáristické práce, ale nedosahuje úrovně filmu. Možná kvůli tomu, že při jejím čtení nemůžeme sledovat Kevina Spaceyho a další skvělé herce. Každopádně pokud máte film Americká krása rádi, přečtením scénáře nic nezkazíte - ba naopak, třeba vás přiměje se na film podívat z trochu jiného úhlu, i když se od něj příliš neodlišuje, pouze v detailech.
Nyie Rombeng
look closer....!
karena setiap hal tidak dapat dinilai dari luar saja namun dari dalamnya lah yang lebih nyata.
allright,readers!,pesan moral yang bagus dari american beauty ini merupakan potret suka duka kehidupan keluarga yang kapitalis&liberalis amerika.
saat para anak-anak mereka dimanjakan harta,mimpi buruk akan haus kasih sayang yang sebenarnya menghantui.cerita yang klasik namun edukatif bagi orang biasa seperti kita,readers:D
Indigotulip
Nov 28, 2010 Indigotulip rated it really liked it
Wow. Finding - or is that noticing, choosing beauty in the modern manufactured suburban malaise. I'd love a wife/mother role that wasn't so shallow, but it's perfect (ha!) for this. A 2000s rendition of Ordinary People: direct, powerful, revealing what we know, showing the taboos we don't take for granted.
Peter O'Brien
Nov 14, 2011 Peter O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripts, film-focused
Sometimes I feel cheated reading a shooting script because what you are reading is almost always exactly the same as what you get in the actual film. While this was also the case with American Beauty, I would gladly re-read it a dozen times more! The film itself is brilliant, but clearly behind it there is a great deal of even better writing.
Timothy
Nov 21, 2012 Timothy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I put that I liked it because it was an enjoyable script to read (just as the film is even more enjoyable). It would have been better, though, if it had any director's notes or anything like that... or, like, if the script clearly differed from the movie (as it often does), which would've been more interesting to compare.
David Tendo
Aug 08, 2011 David Tendo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read like an extended episode of Six Feet Under or Desperate Housewives. It should've been interesting, but it's really just another irritating showcase of shallow and ungrateful people bitching about the excesses, vanity and futility of American suburban life.
Ali
Jan 13, 2013 Ali added it
This film was gorgeous and its writing was about as good as it gets. Writing one fully developed character is hard enough, and this managed six. Reading the script is worthwhile when the writing was so much of what made American Beauty amazing fiction.
M. Donner
Mar 30, 2013 M. Donner rated it it was amazing
A script of amazing beauty.

Alan Ball captures humanity with a world-vision that is wonderfully his. I recommend this script for anyone who writes, is a film student, or merely is interested in how the form of a shooting script transfers into a final film.
Coen
Dec 17, 2015 Coen rated it liked it
- Ik las dit tegelijkertijd met The Picture Of Dorian Gray. Lippen als rozenblaadjes, vergelijkingen met rozenblaadjes komen in beide veel voor. Een vergelijking die niet visueel te maken is zonder alle kracht te verliezen en te verzanden in edelkitsch.
Atzin Morales
May 17, 2014 Atzin Morales rated it it was amazing
I bought this in order to get an idea of how to format a screenplay and I have to say it is beautiful in every sense!
Allan Ball's characters, dialogue, and dramatic construction is impressive and prolific. Now to see what my pen can flourish!
Mark Woodland
Considering that I went to school with Alan Ball (FSU), I really have no excuse for not having read this already. He was a real creative force even back then.
Naphtah Morisseau
Dec 25, 2012 Naphtah Morisseau rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent on depicting the faults of the American Dream.. Everyone had their own personal problem but lacked communication...
Tenzin
Feb 17, 2013 Tenzin rated it liked it
Sick. That's all I can say.
Saman Kashi

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Paloma Pelayo
Apr 24, 2015 Paloma Pelayo rated it it was amazing
Beautiful work.

I wish I could read Alan Ball's original screenplay though.
J.F. Ramirez
Oct 06, 2009 J.F. Ramirez rated it really liked it
Shelves: postmodern-love
Never underestimate the power of denial.
Lauren
Feb 09, 2015 Lauren rated it did not like it
This was just all kinds of crazy. The story line did not appeal to me and the characters were seriously way to crazy and screwed up to handle. Seriously did not like this at all.
Rachel C.
This story embodies a particular kind of good writing - that is, where the characters behave oddly and constantly surprise you, and yet their choices never seem less than completely organic.
Jane
Jan 17, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: screenplays
Is it weird that I liked it better than the movie? Haha.
Stephanie
Oct 22, 2014 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Shelves: school, classics
So weird.

1/5 stars
Jill
Dec 03, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
I saw this with the man I love. I knew that it would be the winner. I may have lost the man, but I was right about the movie.
Hidayah Zaini
Jan 09, 2015 Hidayah Zaini rated it it was amazing
Brilliant
Maria Gillis
Sep 29, 2009 Maria Gillis rated it it was amazing
This is my new standard for screenwriting. If I can write a script like this, I will be very pleased with myself, no matter what attention it receives.
Marya Gates
Aug 24, 2011 Marya Gates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2011
One of the greatest things I've ever read, period.
MELODYLEE
MELODYLEE rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Novels which pair with the film, 'American Beauty'? 1 4 Mar 29, 2014 08:47PM
  • Little Miss Sunshine: The Shooting Script
  • Bird Brain
  • Pulp Fiction: A Quentin Tarantino Screenplay
  • Being John Malkovich
  • Taxi Driver
  • Almost Famous (Screenplays)
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Magnolia: The Shooting Script
  • Pengantin Demos Vol. 3
  • Clerks & Chasing Amy
  • Brownies

Alan Ball is an Academy Award-winning screenwriter, director, producer and occasional actor, who is best known for writing the screenplay for the Oscar-winning film American Beauty, and for creating the HBO original drama series Six Feet Under.
More about Alan Ball...

“I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much; my heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold onto it. And then it flows through me like rain, and I can’t feel anything but gratitude—for every single moment of my stupid, little life. You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure; but don’t worry….you will someday.” 65 likes