Start by marking “Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More” as Want to Read:

You’ve bent all the rules with sewing, so now what? It’s high time you made your own fashions even more you with Amy Karol’s next craft revolution: Bend the Rules with Fabric.

Using simple, high-impact techniques:
• painting
• stamping
• dyeing
• silk screening
• photo transfer

You’ll learn everything you need to know to turn a plain piece of fabric or a garment into the perfect
Published August 25th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Bend the Rules with Fabric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bend the Rules with Fabric

Emilie
Sep 09, 2010 Emilie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty-reads
I have always been intrigued by the thought of personalizing fabrics...but where to start? Right here.

Bend The Rules with Fabric is more of a constantly reusable resource than anything else. Amy Karol easily and deftly explains each technique including inexpensive supplies and additional resources. She also has a project to illustrate each technique.

Although her projects were not particularly my cup of tea, it doesn't matter. This book so thoroughly takes the intimidation out of dying, stencil
Carissa
Jan 06, 2010 Carissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
This book is crammed full of great ideas for ways to put designs onto fabric. I've tried a few in the past (freezer paper stencils, inkjet sheets) but this book also makes me want to try screen printing with PhotoEZ, drawing with my sewing machine, and re-try stamping onto fabric with a fabric ink stamp pad (note to self: try dharmatrading.com to find that stamp pad). very inpiring!
Aja Marsh
3.5 - lots of info and great tips. assumes you already have a crafty knowledge base and access to a sewing machine (for some projects). i wasn't blown over by any of the projects themselves, but as with a lot of these type of books, flipping through them gives me a different perspective to incorporate into my own projects and developing ideas.
Molly
Aug 27, 2010 Molly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sewing-crafts
I love this book! I love her attitude, her style, the layout of the book, her intro to sewing basics and the creative and fun PROJECTS!
Especially:
- the zip pouch
- clever coasters
- modern table runner
- easy lap quilt
- soft turtle buddy

Great stuff for someone like me who is just diving into the craft & art of sewing.
Lyz
Nov 02, 2009 Lyz rated it liked it
Another one from the school librarian.

A lot of the techniques in this book were already familiar, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Lots of colorful pics, ideas to get me thinking, and a fun tone throughout. Now, if I only had the time to actually execute some of these ideas...
Rebekah
May 04, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty, 2010, sewing
I couldn't get into this book at all because the projects weren't my cup of tea. The book would have been much more inspiring if high quality projects were used to demonstrate techniques. Then again, I use craft books for inspiration more than actual techniques.
Michele
Oct 21, 2011 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
Really cute projects that I would love to try - and extremely thorough as far as tips and instructions go - but most of the projects are more involved than I want at this point in my life. I think I'll check this book out again when all my kids are in school!
Lisa
Aug 14, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
I love all the great ideas for painting on fabric and revamping clothing with appliques or paint. On my initial read through this book seems to have clear instructions. I really like how she gives you a list of pros and cons for each product and process.
Rabya
Feb 16, 2010 Rabya rated it liked it
I like the interesting projects in the book. I love the author's Angry Chicken blog. Although the projects require supplies you probably don't have readily accessible at home, and will have to buy, at least worthwhile investment and can make good use of them.
Jessietaylortanner
Dec 01, 2009 Jessietaylortanner rated it liked it
Shelves: craft, 2009
I like it, but not as much as Bend the Rules Sewing. I need to give this one more attention before I form a concrete opinion. Definitely a more eclectic, funky vibe- which I'm all for, it just doesn't always match my style.
Beverlyanne
Sep 02, 2010 Beverlyanne rated it liked it
Imaginative and free wheeling approach to fabric crafts covers simple dyeing, printing, embroidery, and more to embellish clothing and other sewn objects. Problem is the results aren't too pleasing.
jessica
Apr 10, 2012 jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty-mcgee
LOVE this book. It has all the techniques i've wanted to try, and i love that she includes a list of what you'll love and what you'll hate about the methods.
Kat
Jul 19, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing
i love having all of this information in one book and i really like amy's writing style, and love her blog! (plus she's an oregonian :) )
Jodee
Apr 07, 2012 Jodee rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting ideas. Love the instructions for making your own fabric sheet and the cute lunch sack on page 65
Jocelynne Broderick
May 22, 2013 Jocelynne Broderick marked it as crafts
Fun projects, but nothing I would really do. So many cute fabrics out there already, no need to make my own.
Jade
Sep 14, 2010 Jade rated it it was amazing
Fun Craft Ideas with Fabric I would say, :)
Terra
Sep 07, 2009 Terra rated it really liked it
Just got the second one for my birthday.
Tamara
Feb 12, 2009 Tamara marked it as to-read
Hoping this mentions my new use for beets!
Elaine Halpin
Elaine Halpin rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Natalie Longoria
Natalie Longoria marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Lyndsey
Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Deniz Altuntas
Deniz Altuntas marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Madison Gurd
Madison Gurd rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Lori Posten
Lori Posten marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Hannah Daffinson
Hannah Daffinson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
B Rawlinson
B Rawlinson marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby: 20 Easy Projects for Newborns to Toddlers
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
  • Sewing Bits and Pieces: 35 Projects Using Fabric Scraps
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics