Start by marking “Bend the Rules with Fabric: Fun Sewing Projects with Stencils, Stamps, Dye, Photo Transfers, Silk Screening, and More” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  18 reviews
You’ve bent all the rules with sewing, so now what? It’s high time you made your own fashions even more you with Amy Karol’s next craft revolution: Bend the Rules with Fabric.

Using simple, high-impact techniques:
• painting
• stamping
• dyeing
• silk screening
• photo transfer

You’ll learn everything you need to know to turn a plain piece of fabric or a garment into the perfect...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Bend the Rules with Fabric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bend the Rules with Fabric

Emilie
I have always been intrigued by the thought of personalizing fabrics...but where to start? Right here.

Bend The Rules with Fabric is more of a constantly reusable resource than anything else. Amy Karol easily and deftly explains each technique including inexpensive supplies and additional resources. She also has a project to illustrate each technique.

Although her projects were not particularly my cup of tea, it doesn't matter. This book so thoroughly takes the intimidation out of dying, stencil...more
Carissa
This book is crammed full of great ideas for ways to put designs onto fabric. I've tried a few in the past (freezer paper stencils, inkjet sheets) but this book also makes me want to try screen printing with PhotoEZ, drawing with my sewing machine, and re-try stamping onto fabric with a fabric ink stamp pad (note to self: try dharmatrading.com to find that stamp pad). very inpiring!
Aja Marsh
3.5 - lots of info and great tips. assumes you already have a crafty knowledge base and access to a sewing machine (for some projects). i wasn't blown over by any of the projects themselves, but as with a lot of these type of books, flipping through them gives me a different perspective to incorporate into my own projects and developing ideas.
Molly
I love this book! I love her attitude, her style, the layout of the book, her intro to sewing basics and the creative and fun PROJECTS!
Especially:
- the zip pouch
- clever coasters
- modern table runner
- easy lap quilt
- soft turtle buddy

Great stuff for someone like me who is just diving into the craft & art of sewing.
Lyz
Another one from the school librarian.

A lot of the techniques in this book were already familiar, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Lots of colorful pics, ideas to get me thinking, and a fun tone throughout. Now, if I only had the time to actually execute some of these ideas...
Rebekah
I couldn't get into this book at all because the projects weren't my cup of tea. The book would have been much more inspiring if high quality projects were used to demonstrate techniques. Then again, I use craft books for inspiration more than actual techniques.
Michele
Really cute projects that I would love to try - and extremely thorough as far as tips and instructions go - but most of the projects are more involved than I want at this point in my life. I think I'll check this book out again when all my kids are in school!
Lisa
I love all the great ideas for painting on fabric and revamping clothing with appliques or paint. On my initial read through this book seems to have clear instructions. I really like how she gives you a list of pros and cons for each product and process.
Rabya
I like the interesting projects in the book. I love the author's Angry Chicken blog. Although the projects require supplies you probably don't have readily accessible at home, and will have to buy, at least worthwhile investment and can make good use of them.
Jessietaylortanner
I like it, but not as much as Bend the Rules Sewing. I need to give this one more attention before I form a concrete opinion. Definitely a more eclectic, funky vibe- which I'm all for, it just doesn't always match my style.
Beverlyanne
Imaginative and free wheeling approach to fabric crafts covers simple dyeing, printing, embroidery, and more to embellish clothing and other sewn objects. Problem is the results aren't too pleasing.
jessica
LOVE this book. It has all the techniques i've wanted to try, and i love that she includes a list of what you'll love and what you'll hate about the methods.
Kat
i love having all of this information in one book and i really like amy's writing style, and love her blog! (plus she's an oregonian :) )
Jodee
Lots of interesting ideas. Love the instructions for making your own fabric sheet and the cute lunch sack on page 65
Jocelynne Broderick
May 22, 2013 Jocelynne Broderick marked it as crafts
Fun projects, but nothing I would really do. So many cute fabrics out there already, no need to make my own.
PianoPlayer
Fun Craft Ideas with Fabric I would say, :)
Terra
Just got the second one for my birthday.
Tamara
Feb 12, 2009 Tamara marked it as to-read
Hoping this mentions my new use for beets!
Aldene
Aldene added it
Oct 07, 2014
Alicea
Alicea marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Carletta Collins
Carletta Collins marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Kathy Lane
Kathy Lane marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew Bend the Rules Gift Labels