Start by marking “Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories

Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The legendary enchantment of Rip Van Winkle in the Kaatskill Mountains; the gruesome end of Ichabod Crane, who met the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow; the Spectre Bridegroom who turned out to be happily substantial; the pride of an English village and the come-uppance of the over-zealous Mountjoy - these witty, perceptive and captivating tales range from fantasy to rom ...more
Published December 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip Van Winkle and Other Stories

Tammy
Dec 09, 2015 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, adult, audio
I enjoyed "Rip Van Winkle" and "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" but I found the other stories to be a little dull. This could very well be because the narrator was somewhat dull and I often found my mind wandering.
Philip
Nov 13, 2015 Philip rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics, audio
I've been letting people vote on what I listen to in the car. I'll give 3 or 4 choices and a couple days on Facebook, and then pop in whatever the consensus is.

I think I would have liked Washington Irving quite a bit more if I would have read him instead of listened to him. There were several points where I lost focus early on, tried backing up the CD, promptly lost focus again, and remained lost the rest of the way through.

I enjoyed immensely those stories with which I was already familiar: The
Melanie
Oct 20, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, audio
I picked this audio book up from the library because one of the short stories on it was The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which is our bookclub selection for the month. I enjoyed the entire collection of short stories on this CD; they were lightly spooky and a perfect Halloween-time read. I really liked Washington Irving's writing style, and I could just imagine readers in his day delightfully frightened at his suspenseful and clever stories and anticipating new releases. He has a way of writing in w ...more
Jojo
Nov 08, 2007 Jojo rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
I bought this book for my daughter who likes spooky stories. I remembered my father reading The Legend of Sleepy Hallow to me when I was a child and being terrified by it (he also read us Rip Van Winkel, which I remembered as being less scary. I tried to read it to her on Halloween night and she fell asleep in about 2 minutes, so I continued to read the stories to myself. I had forgotten (or more likely I did not then realize) how wonderfully humorous and not at all scary the stories are. The la ...more
Becky B
This is one of those classic story collections I kept putting off reading because I knew the basic plotlines of most of the stories already. I’m glad I finally picked it up because I discovered I really like Irving’s writing style. He has a way of making even normal descriptions captivating. It is quite delightful to read. Though most of these are dubbed “scary” stories, almost all have a logical, non-mystical answer to the supposed supernatural event (except Rip Van Winkle, he just has to learn ...more
Kingfan30
Jul 22, 2014 Kingfan30 rated it did not like it
I found it interesting the story that gives its name to this book was one of the shorter ones. I have to say I liked the idea behind the first few stories but I just couldn't get my head round the writing style, my just wanted to wonder. I read all the stories but feel maybe I should give them another chance at some point.
Alexandra K.
Apr 05, 2016 Alexandra K. rated it really liked it
I think it is cool that this Washington Irving probably has connections to charles Dickens. He lives in England. So perhaps they meet each other. His brothers Peter and Ebeneezer probably inspire the character Ebeneezer Scrooge and Rip Van Winkle. Rip Van Winkle is probably supposed to be Peter Styuvesant. He is probably a zombie waking from death. The title probably means Peter Sans Tinkle. Tinkle or Wolf is the name for his dog or boat or cow.

This story could be an influence for Peter Pan. Th
Oskari
May 15, 2011 Oskari rated it liked it
Tässä on kaksi tarinaa ylitse muiden. Ensimmäinen näistä on kokoelman ainoaksi yliluonnollista sisältäväksi kertomukseksi jäävä Rip Van Winkle. Irvingin vahvasti sentimentaalisuuteen kallellaan oleva kuvaus piirtää kotikutoisuutta, vehreyttä ja eloa tulvivan pikkukylän jossa ihmiset ovat tyytyväisiä eikä ajan ankeasta realismista ole tietoakaan. Satuahan tässä kerrotaan. Maukasta huumoriakin on tarjolla. Pintaan pulpahtelee etenkin kotitalouksien sisäinen sananvaihto, isännille kun tuntuisi olev ...more
Will
Mar 31, 2009 Will rated it it was amazing
OK class. How many of us read Washington Irving in school? Thank you. Hands down. Now, how many of you have read him since high school or college? That's what I thought. I didn't re-read him either until my niece started attending Washington Irving Middle School.

Well, I just finished this edition and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. What I had forgotten is that Irving is the father of American literature. And in "Rip Van Winkle" and especially "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" he wrote the first
Kristien Kellens
Jan 15, 2016 Kristien Kellens rated it it was ok
I have to admit that I read this book because I loved the movie Sleepy Hollow and I was hoping to find some stories with that same 'ghost stories from the past' vibe. I knew the actual tale differs from the story in the movie but I was rather hoping that there was something more than this. I was a bit disappointed and I found the stories quite boring, to be honest. The writing style wasn't my cup of tea either.
Definitely not something for me.
Emily Dybdahl
Apr 08, 2015 Emily Dybdahl rated it liked it
I have heard allusions to Rip Van Winkle, and to Sleepy Hollow since childhood, but had never gotten the full story until reading this. The stories are intricately written and deliciously haunting. Washington Irving seems to write with a little bit of the style of Dickens as well as H.G. Wells.
Megharp
Jan 19, 2016 Megharp rated it it was ok
Whilst I enjoyed the premise of these short stories (particularly the first two), I just didn't enjoy Irving's style. Early American authors seem to have this need to overdose on description and use ridiculously florid language. I've found this with Melville and Hawthorne too. Also, I hated the main character of the last story - what a pompous idiot!

It was worth reading as a collection, but if it had been longer I'd have been sorely tempted to give up based on his style of writing.
Sarah England
Jul 10, 2014 Sarah England rated it really liked it
only down side (apart from inevitable sexism) was the fact this edition had so many errors and typos - come on Puffin, pull yer finger out.
Nine
Jul 05, 2014 Nine rated it liked it
Very different from the movie "Sleepy Hollow", if you're coming from there.
Judy
Dec 20, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
So everyone knows the story of Rip Van Winkle, but I had never really read Washington Irving. Earlier this year, I read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and really enjoyed it, so I decided to delve deeper into the work of Washington Irving. I realized that while I remembered the highlights of the Rip Van Winkle tale, I had forgotten how horrible his wife was and Rip's reputation in his village before his adventure in the mountains. I enjoyed all of the stories in this book and realize that I need to ...more
Steve Hadfield
Sep 09, 2015 Steve Hadfield rated it really liked it
I enjoyed his writing style, for stories that I was somewhat familiar with.
Katherine Hebert
Oct 03, 2015 Katherine Hebert rated it it was amazing
Totally had forgotten how utterly wonderful and hilarious Irving is.
Becky
Oct 21, 2014 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Wasn't a fan of the authors writing and too much detail.
Chris
Aug 10, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed reading "Rip Van Winkle," long one of my favorite tales. "Sleepy Hollow" was also fun since we know the storyline so well from popular culture. The other stories - "The Spectre Bridegroom," "The Pride of the Village" and "Mountjoy" - were a bit more of a slog. More parables than actual tales. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the archaic vocabulary used and learned many a new word and turn of a phrase. Well worth the time invested.
Salma
Jul 22, 2009 Salma added it
Ok- Rip Van is as amazing as it was when I read it at age 8. Sleepy Hollow- beautiful writing, but no scary blond twin girls and levitating ghostly women a la Tim Burton. Spectre Bridegroom is my favorite- the kind of story perfect for Halloween night, read with candle by bedside. Mount Kiljoy- I'm sorry, I know this is cheating, I cannot finish the last story. It's way too boring. I know this is very un-literary of me. Sew buttons.
Jill
Jan 07, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were wonderful stories to hear read to me by a talented narrator. I tries to read Washington Irving years ago but never was able to get into the language. I have changed my tune. Ichabod's tale came alive this time as did Rip Van Winkle. However, my favorite was The Specter Bridegroom. How have I never heard of this story??? I'm no longer intimidated by Mr. Irving's hallowed literary status. I agree with it.
Carol
Dec 27, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
My memory of reading Washington Irving in school anthologies was that of ponderous prose. I didn't expect the "gamesome spirit", an Irving description. This collection of stories produced some snorts of laughter, the satisfying recognition of a character, and happy sighs at melodious phrases.
Meghan
Jun 19, 2007 Meghan rated it really liked it
I just re-read Rip Van Winkle. I last read it in the library of Southeast Elementary School. Needless to say, some of the smarts of the story were lost on me then. I love how Irving frames the story. I love how memory, lore, and history are interrelated, here. And I love love love this quote:

"Everything's changed, and I'm changed, and I can't tell what's my name or who I am!"
Cari
Apr 02, 2011 Cari rated it liked it
It was an entertaining book of short stories. I actually didn't make it through the last story, by about halfway through I was just done with the way Washington Irving wrote. The story of Rip Van Winkle is interesting, and I had never actually read the actually story for Legend of Sleepy Hollow and the Headless Horseman. I recommend reading it once.
Tracy
Dec 30, 2013 Tracy rated it liked it
These were fun tales. I think The Spectre Bridegroom was my favorite.I can't believe I hadn't read Rip Van Winkle or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow before now.
Wendy Reiersen
May 26, 2009 Wendy Reiersen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
As an audiobook, it doesn't quite hold my attention. Although, hearing the original stories does add something. There is a lot more to the stories than the popularized versions, and the original does add something. The stories make more sense now.
Dave
Jul 18, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
I had never read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow nor the story of Rip Van Winkle. They were delightful stories. I was surprised to find them so short; I wished they had been longer.
The book contains several very short stories (9?). I listened to it.
Susan
Oct 18, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
I forgot all about the negative description of Rip's wife which really turned me off to the story. Otherwise, it is a classic and when read aloud about 10 pages on average puts the little one to sleep when nothing else will.
Amber
Sep 23, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok
Some stories were very good, others were downright tedious to slog through. He's thoughtful, superstitious, and worldly, but I'm never going to enjoy a buffalo hunting short story. Just no.
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • The Little Lame Prince
  • Teach Yourself Better Handwriting
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • Great on the Job: What to Say, How to Say It. The Secrets of Getting Ahead.
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie
  • Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales
  • Theras and His Town
  • Myths That Every Child Should Know: A Selection Of The Classic Myths Of All Times For Young People
  • The Meaning of Life from a Buddhist Perspective
  • Madness Under the Royal Palms: Love and Death Behind the Gates of Palm Beach
  • Database in Depth: Relational Theory for Practitioners
  • Tension City: Inside the Presidential Debates, from Kennedy-Nixon to Obama-McCain
  • Wanted Women: Faith, Lies, and the War on Terror: The Lives of Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Aafia Siddiqui
  • Billy Budd and Other Tales
  • Albert Einstein: Young Thinker
  • Buried in the Bitter Waters: The Hidden History of Racial Cleansing in America
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

“...what is it to know a variety of languages, but merely to have a variety of sounds express the same idea? Original thought is ore of the mind; language is but the stamp and coinage by which it is put into circulation.” 3 likes
“He never even talked of love; but there are modes of making it more eloquent than language, and which convey it subtilely and irresistibly to the heart. The beam of the eye, the tone of voice, the thousand tendernesses which emanate from every word and look and action - these form the true eloquence of love, and can always be felt and understood, but never described.” 2 likes