Start by marking “The Borzoi Poe: The Complete Poems & Stories ” as Want to Read:
The Borzoi Poe: The Complete Poems & Stories

The Borzoi Poe: The Complete Poems & Stories (The Works of Edgar Allan Poe #1-4)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  159,296 Ratings  ·  1,040 Reviews
s/t: With Selections from his Critical Writings
This single volume brings together all of Poe's stories and poems, and illuminates the diverse and multifaceted genius of one of the greatest and most influential figures in American literary history.
Published June 15th 1946 by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about The Borzoi Poe, please sign up.

Allie It might not totally creep you out, but if you haven't read it yet, you should read "The Tell-Tale Heart." It is one of my favorites.

Mark
Jan 04, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to know exhilaration without being immersed in disgust.
How could I not love this book? Shortly after reading Poe's complete works as a teenager, my family was transferred to Fort Monroe in southern Virginia. While waiting for permanent housing, I ended up staying in the house (and the very bedroom) that Poe had been in while he served on the base. Pulling out this book and reading it in the very space where Poe had suffered through depression and anxiety was exhilarating. While I realized the morbid nature of my glee, it somehow seemed appropriate a ...more
Councillor
Reading "The Complete Stories and Poems" will be a hell of a time-consuming project, but as I can feel honored to call Edgar Allan Poe one of my favorite authors, the only option to give his writing abilities justice is to read his stories and poems in their entirety. My intention is to update this review with my thoughts on all the stories and poems Poe has ever written constantly until I've completed my way through (however, I'll probably not always add it to my update feed in order to not spa ...more
Mischenko
Feb 12, 2017 Mischenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the only books I have left that belonged to my grandfather and it's one of the best. It contains stories and poems by Edgar Allan Poe. Sections include: Tales of Mystery and Horror, Humor and Satire, Flights and Fantasies, The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym of Nantucket, and many poems including Annabel Lee, Alone, and my favorite, A Dream Within a Dream.

5*****
Bookdragon Sean
Feb 15, 2014 Bookdragon Sean is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poe
This update has been a long time coming. I’m slowly working my way through Poe’s entire works, and I will post a separate review for each major short story as I go along. Many of them are so deep and profound that they each require their own review. I couldn’t possibly provide a fair review for his short stories in just one overall review; it would be to do them an injustice.

So, there’s going to be lots of reviews of Edgar Allan Poe’s work popping up on my update feed over the next year or so.
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Exercises in Genre and Style

I was never exposed to Poe in my schooldays, but I later became aware of his reputation.

I didn’t know anything about his writing, except that I expected it to be a kind of guilty pleasure.

Apparently, I decided to address my ignorance in 1983, when I bought a second hand hardback copy of his complete tales for a bargain price of $1. Unfortunately, I didn’t take the step of reading it until now, when I chose it as one of three books that I planned to read on an overseas
Arah-Lynda
The Master himself

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my ANNABEL LEE;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

And this was the reason that, long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind bl
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm not sure how screwed up Mr. Poe really was as I have read that a lot of the criticisms of him were exaggerated. But screwed up or not the man could write. Fears and tears all are here for the reader.

I love Poe's writing. He's a voice that edges at times on madness (The Fall of the House of Usher) and sometimes IS the voice of madness (The Tell Tail Heart). Unlike the madness we find in H.P.Lovecraft Poe writes the actual man's madness. The madness of revenge for what may be a real or imagine
Andrei Tamaş
Feb 11, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am fost în Ungaria medievală ("Metzengerstein"), pe lună ("Hans Phaall"), în Londra ("Regele ciumă"), Paris ("Crimele din Rue Morgue"), Norvegia ("O pogorâre în Maelstrom"), Italia ("Portretul oval") şi -în fine!- într-un ospiciu ("Sistemul doctorului Catran şi al profesorului Până"). Am râs, am rămas buimăcit, am trăit alături de personaje cu respiraţia luctuoasă. Am trecut -în fine!- prin zeci şi zeci de stări!

1. METZENGERSTEIN, 8/10.
O lugubră povestioară ce înfăţişează metempsihoza pe un fund
J.G. Keely
Not many people outside of literary study or detective fiction fandom realize that the character of Sherlock Holmes was inspired by Poe's Dupin. Dupin was the brilliant and insightful idle noble who occasionally aided the authorities in particularly difficult cases. However, unlike Holmes, Dupin took it up merely as a hobby, mimicking Holmes' brother Mycroft.

I'm not fond of Poe's poetry. Emerson's leveling of 'Jingle Man' is appropriate. Poe puts sounds together, but usually says very little wit
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Poe has an impressive, comfortable grasp of vocabulary and sentence structure, but like King, one sentence often equates to one paragraph. The first story to catch my interest was 100 pages in-The Gold Bug, a brief tale of treasure hunting. This was soon followed by Marie Roget. For those of you who find this tale of interest, check out The Beautiful Cigar Girl, a nonfiction account of Mary Rogers' death and investigation, as well as An American Tragedy, a fictional rendering of a crime based on ...more
Elizabeth Pyjov
'' If I felt any emotion at all, it was a kind of chuckling satisfaction at the cleverness I was about to display in extricating myself from this dilemma; and I never, for a moment, looked upon my ultimate safety as a question susceptible of doubt''

♫ "He finally made me a low bow and departed, wishing me, in the language of the archbishop in "Gil Bias," beaucoup de bonheur et un peu plus de bon sens"

My favorite quotes about Edgar Allan Poe: (there are a lot, but I found them very interesting, wr
Zachary Johnson
Aug 20, 2012 Zachary Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I became a slight reader, I had heard people talk of the Great and Horrid tales of a mad man at a typewriter. I always was told that I couldn't grasp the severity of the dark stories of this man. But, here I am. I have changed a lot since the times that I read books just to fill book reports. I feel bad about all of the times that I skimmed paragraphs of detail just to get to the dripping dialog. But here I am.

I know I sound like a drama queen in the paragraph above, but I feel like
Denisse
Oct 05, 2016 Denisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had loved every page of this collection, but I didn't. Anyway for every boring atory there was a great one and some of them are absolutely incredible!
Poe definitely a tormented mind, but a clever one too.
Jackson
While I haven't read the entire book, I have ventured through most of his works. I think Poe makes it safe to say that the usage of opium is sure to create some interesting situations.
kat
Mar 19, 2009 kat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read all the well-known stories and poems, I dug into this tome with anticipation, expecting many of his more obscure works to be fully as good. But I was vastly disappointed.

As we all know, his horror stories are real gems. There's a reason he's called a master of the genre. And I much enjoyed (re)reading them.

But the rest of this volume is filled with some of the dullest writings imaginable. Meandering, pointless, filled with useless tangents. Stories which skillfully build up suspense,
David
Oct 16, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must admit to having a soft spot for Edgar Allan Poe. He was the boon companion of my adolescence. Whilst others of my generation were developing the herd mentality and lavishing their time on football, chopper bikes and the Bay City Rollers, I was poring over The Pit and the Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Masque of the Red Death. Call me underdeveloped, call me what the hell you like, but to my mind I was developing a taste for quality literature. And Poe is, whatever you ma ...more
Sam Quixote
Dec 04, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edgar Allan Poe is a writer whose reputation rests solely upon a handful of short stories and a poem; there are very few writers in the Western canon, or anywhere really, where this is the case. There's usually a novel that they're famous for and while Poe wrote a novel "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym", it isn't particularly good and doesn't hold up to the short stories.

But what stories they are! They're all filled with madmen, murder, jealousy, betrayal, revenge, magic, death, hatred, ghost
Crito
Oct 19, 2016 Crito rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, this was a ride. The number of stories in here means there's some distance between me and my initial impression by now, but the common impressions people have of Poe, from his assigned reading stuff to his general cultural portrayal, is a surprisingly small reductive piece of what Poe really was. First off, I can't talk about Poe without talking about Borges. It's not to hard to make the connection between them with just cursory understandings of each, but I hadn't realized just how larg ...more
Veronica Bejarano
Jun 26, 2014 Veronica Bejarano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Que puedo decir de Edgar Allan Poe que no se haya sido ya? Es increíble y fascinante, llena de matices y de sorpresas. Una obra magnífica que te estremece y te convierte en parte de un humo literario misterioso en medio de sus obras. Altamente recomendable.
Amanda
Nov 15, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have only gotten through a handful of the poems and stories and will finish the others as soon as I get a chance. But as much as I have read, I absolutely love Poe. If you can come to grasp his crude writing style and place it into his life and the events within, you will most likely find his style of writing as wonderful and beautiful as I do. His life was very tragic in many respects, losing both of his parents and being adopted by a family where he felt his father never really, truly loved ...more
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
An excellent compilation of all of Poe's works - short stories, novella, and poetry. His stunning prose and emphasis on creative, clear imagery has set him aside as a master to be remembered. Although the writing style is rather old-fashioned and high formal, it is mesmerizing how well he played with words to create masterpieces. His poetry remains my favorite of the pieces, he had a knack for conveying powerful imagery in little words.

His detective stories were not really my style, but his horr
Frederick
Jan 24, 2008 Frederick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, stories, poe
I've read some of these stories. I haven't actually read them in THIS edition. I've generally read them in a multi-volume edition published in the 19th century. They certainly printed durable volumes then. The pages had twilight-blue borders. Among the stories I've read are:
"The Murders In The Rue Morgue"
"The Tell-Tale Heart"
"The Black Cat"
"The Cask of Amontillado"
"The Masque of the Red Death."
Poe is entertaining. On top of this, he was an innovator. He not only, essentially, invented the detect
Sala Bim
Sep 21, 2012 Sala Bim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this collection as a birthday gift a couple of years ago and it is truly one of my greatest treasures! I have been a fan of Poe for as long as I can remember and this rich, dark, dense volume is an absolute MUST HAVE for fans.
Amber Adams

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to
David
ამ წიგნით უამრავი რამ გავიგე.

პირველ რიგში, არასოდეს იყიდო წიგნი, რომელიც იმ ავტორის ყველა ნამუშევარს შეიცავს, რომელსაც არ იცნობ.

მეორე, თუ მოგწონს ავტორის იმიჯი პოპულარულ კულტურაში, არ ნიშნავს, რომ მისი შემოქმედებაც მოგეწონება.

მესამე, წიგნის/ ავტორი/ნაწარმოების, ყველაზე დიდი ცოდვაა იყოს მოსაწყენი. არასოდეს დახარჯო დრო ასეთ ავტორებზე/წიგნებზე/ნაწარმოებებზე.

მეოთხე, არ წაიკითხო იმ ავტორის იუმორისტული და სატირული მოთხრობები, რომელიც საშინელებათა ჟანრისთვის არის ცნობილი.

მეხუთე, თუ ავტორმა დიდი წვლილი
Alexis Johnson
Demented, dark, depressing, and absolutely delightful. Poe was one of my first favorite authors. I love his imagery. Even though he writes things on a very imaginative scale, you can really sense his spirit and feel his personal sadness, loss, and longing.
Nati
Jan 04, 2015 Nati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
una noche insomne y fría, como tantas otras, y los últimos cuentos de esta mente transtornadisima.
Jimmy
Jan 24, 2014 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I still love all of Poe's stories and poems. Don't tell anyone.
Sara
Jul 10, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've chosen to mark this book as "read " because I've read about 2/3 of it. Loved it, of course.
Ben
May 17, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An influence on an array of artists from Jean Cocteau and Baudelaire to William Burroughs, Federico Fellini and the recently departed Lou Reed, Edgar Allan Poe was a writer of great import to not only America but the world. Yesterday, after spending all of the earlier part of this month immersed in the poetry and tales of Poe, I finally made by way to Poe’s “The Imp of the Perverse,” one of a handful of his stories that I had a previous acquaintance with, having read it many years ago after seei ...more
Poems 6 24 Sep 07, 2015 05:29AM
Any scary or just macabre? 1 22 Aug 05, 2015 07:51PM
Edgar Allen Poe 1 23 Mar 17, 2015 09:30AM
Favorite Story or Poem? 45 78 Dec 18, 2014 07:58PM
National Poetry Month 1 10 Apr 12, 2014 02:21PM
Should have read ...: The Murders at the Rue Morgue 8 53 Mar 20, 2014 12:47PM
Could you recommend another book similar to this one? ¿Conoces de otro libro similar a este? 12 40 Jan 25, 2014 06:20AM
  • Complete Works of Oscar Wilde
  • The Complete Works
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • The Complete Poems
  • Hawthorne's Short Stories
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories
  • Complete Works
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Stories
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Stories
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  • Collected Ghost Stories
More about Edgar Allan Poe...

“Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute.” 1892 likes
A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?”
726 likes