Start by marking “Green To Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy To Innovate, Create Value, And Build Competitive Advantage” as Want to Read:

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  769 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Green to Gold is an essential guide for forward-thinking business leaders who see the Green Wave coming and want to profit from it. This audio explores what every executive must know to manage the environmental challenges facing society and business. Based on the authors years of experience and hundreds of interviews with corporate leaders around the world, Green to Gold, ...more
Published (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Green To Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green To Gold

Aaron
Aug 04, 2008 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, irps
More like a 2.5. Not a bad book, but it's not really something that is going to change the business world. CEOs of companies like those that were profiled will probably scoff at the somewhat simplistic advice offered here, whereas small to mid-sized companies may struggle to make some of the changes necessary to ride the "Green Wave" (you just know they want that one to catch on...).

Personally, the book made me think at least a little about what my new employer might be doing, or even if it face
Srikanth
Just look at the title of the book: "Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage"

Are you game/interested in reading a book with such a title. Then read on. :)

These days we get to hear a lot of these terms which are supposedly the need of the hour and helpful for all the world. e.g. Greening, sustainability, recycle, reuse & renewable.

If you were a company and are wondering does it make any sense in all this and wh
Max Nova
May 10, 2015 Max Nova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: environment, business
Esty's "Green to Gold" is an interesting read about how large "WaveRider" corporations are dealing with the Green Wave. It's packed with anecdotes from about a dozen corporations from IKEA to Herman Miller to BP. He talks a lot about forming relationships with NGOs and other environmental groups long before problems emerge ("feelings are facts"), designing for the environment to lower costs and maintain a competitive advantage, and using a environmental sustainability as a way to attract and ret ...more
JJ W
basic review of company environmental strategies, but quite dry
Preston Kutney
A couple months ago, I read a fantastic HBR article that was written by the co-author of this book, Andrew Winston, on prioritizing environmental and social issues in business strategy in order to increase company resilience, brand reputation, customer loyalty etc. This article really sparked my interest in the area of business sustainability, and so I purchased Winston (and Esty's) book.

The intent of this book seems to be to serve as a resource for business leaders looking to make a case for s
Gregory Peterson
Jun 26, 2010 Gregory Peterson rated it it was amazing
Dan Esty has touched all the academic bases: Harvard undergrad, Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and a JD from Yale. He earned his professional stripes through a long stint at the EPA, a visiting professorship at INSEAD and a directorship at Yale’s Center for Environmental Law and Policy. And he has authored nine books on environmental matters — the latest of which is “Green To Gold,” co-written with Andrew Winston, Director of the Corporate Environmental Strategy Project at Yale.

So it wasn’t for lack o
Nick
May 26, 2009 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for a company executive trying to figure out how to 'go green', or how much he/she needs to pay attention to environmental issues. The book is loaded with examples of companies large and small that have taken the lead on the environment, from Wal-Mart and GE to BP and Shell, to little Swiss companies you've never heard of. The basic point is that environmental issues are 'strategic' -- meaning that they'll bite you if you're not paying attention. Example -- a cereal company ...more
David R
Mar 30, 2008 David R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is a hapless, scientifically and morally devoid treatise making the "business case" for more environmentally sound economic activities. It isn't, as it claims, a fundamental rethinking of green practices in the business realm, but rather encouraging business to make changes at the margins, where such activities reduce costs, enhance brand image, or profitably reduce environmental damage. The book says nothing about internalization of costs, cap and trade systems, or other policies to p ...more
Bryan
How big companies can leverage green practices for brand differentiation
Esther
Sep 01, 2013 Esther rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This is a practical book which looks at how - and why - various global companies have integrated environmental sustainability into their businesses.

The book operates at a fairly shallow level and even when discussing motivation for environmental leadership focuses mostly on numerical payoffs rather than philosophical backing.

Its main strength is in the breadth of its examples and the practicality of its advice. It was last updated in 2009 so it is a bit out of date (BP is an environmental lead
Nick Woodall
Great business book, especially for those that need to strategically think about environmental issues as it affects their business. Good strategies AND tactics.
Brian
Nov 25, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book; well written and presented. The authors researched a number of companies to find examples of businesses succeeding and failing with environmental strategy, and present a lot of interesting and useful anecdotes from different companies throughout the book. The book presents a bit of actionable advice as well as a few tools and metrics. The tips and ideas seem useful to show how a business can work to be more sustainable and concurrently enjoy more success in the market.
Tony Canas
I read it because it's the new capstone book for ISU's MBA program (replaced The World is Flat). I figured I'd check it out to prepare for my Managing for Sustainability class which I'm taking in Spring to finish my MBA. It's a solid book that explains in business terms the why and most importantly the why of the green revolution and how to take advantage of it. I especially like that they don't sugar coat and avoid making it seem like every green investment will be a home run.
Brian
Jul 16, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for the environmentally conscious business man and a must read if you want to gain the eco-advantage over your competitors. This is a business / environmental strategies book. As business books go I give it an A-. Environmental sustainability is where my field (EHS Management) is heading and this book will give anyone in corporate America or with an affiliated NGO, tips on strategies to employ, pitfalls to be wary of, and how to measure success.
Aug 21, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides good tools and case studies to help readers develop a strategy to overcome environmental inertia at work. Nails the main issues and provides helpful suggestions. I wish they made this required reading at work.

That said, this book does focus mostly on the challenges of large companies (think Fortune 500), so it may not be as applicable or helpful to readers who work for smaller-sized organizations with traditional non-environmental strategies.
Tommy
An outstanding premise, but the authors just didn't deliver as compelling a case as they could have. They sacrificed the opportunity for a great thesis driven home by some key evidence and statistics by attempting to be overly comprehensive about the green movement and by trying to build a prescription for success. In the end, I would recommend reading the first several chapters and skipping the strategic recommendations.
Ross
Sep 04, 2008 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those trying to green their employer
Shelves: sustainability
Profiles (more like sketches, really) of Fortune 500-type companies that are made money by going green, combined with key strategies & risk distilled by the two authors. I'm on my company's internal "green team" and found it very useful in generating ideas and helping us plot our course to sustainability. Only three stars because the writing is bad, though perhaps par for business-management books.
Zakgirl
I had to read this book for my University subject, Sustainability so I thought it would be pretty painful. Actually it wasn't too bad and I enjoyed the crystal ball look into the future of our businesses. This book is good for anyone who wants to get a grasp on why we must have a carbon tax in Australia, that sort of thing. I actually enjoyed this book.
Colin Kemmis
Very interesting depiction showing how you can save money and be green in business. I wish more companies would pay attention to this book/movement. A few new ideas for me - looking at the sustainability of the supply chain, and using the green qualities of a product as the '3rd button' to push with marketing. Good read.
Liesl
Aug 14, 2008 Liesl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this economically-focused environmental book was a refreshing twist on the typical environmental books. The facts and figures presented are well-support and make for an interesting and informative read. I would recommend this to all the skeptics out there on the "green" movement.
Peter Holst
In depth profile on what it means for companies to turn "green" into profits. Some make the choices intuitively while others are more creative. The real-world data keeps the book relevant, and it sorts them to make a well-structured guide for companies redefining their strategies.
Books and Beer Singapore
Read it as a text-book for an Business & the Environment class. The book read well, easy like Freakonomics or Undercover Economist but was too American-centric to be of much use, particularly in a class taught in Asia. The lecturer was American though! -Mel
Robin Woodcock
Eh. I think this reads more like an instruction manual for companies interested in embarking on a sustainability program. Not that much of a value-add for me but probably good for someone very new into sustainability.
Quinn
Oct 19, 2010 Quinn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rather boring, don't waste your time. I feel like it was written with the fourtune 500 VP in mind and wasn't supper applicable to small business or individuals at all.
Heather
boring read, but helpful in learning about how cutting edge technologies and business practices are being applied to socially-responsible companies.
Dante
Jan 31, 2008 Dante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still reading this book, but so far, it has some good information on specific companies that have implemented sustainable practices.
Nicole  Brubaker
I feel like the same companies were used over and over again just like the points of the book. Easy read but would probably not read again
Etuckermiller
Jun 21, 2007 Etuckermiller rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
examines economic feasability of companies movement towards more environmentaly friendly practices.
Liz
Aug 24, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting concepts and a good case study of being environmentally friendly.
Bob
Aug 20, 2007 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a easy book to read cynically, and frankly I did.
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios