Start by marking “The God Cookie” as Want to Read:
The God Cookie

The God Cookie

Would you know if he did, if God really spoke to you– would it be booming from the heavens or just in your head?

If it was in your head, how would you know if it
was God or wasn’t?

Is God speaking right
now but we’re just not listening?

And if God
does tell you something…what would you do about it?

Meet Parrish. He’s a regular guy, owns a coffee shop. He happens to be shooting
Published February 17th 2009 by WaterBrook Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The God Cookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Cookie

Lisa Godfrees
Aug 03, 2013 Lisa Godfrees rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was different, quirky.

From reading the back blurb, I expected the MC to be running from one fortune cookie to the next doing some really crazy things under God's direction, but that's wasn't the case. Less fortune cookie direction, more waiting on God to act. A lot like real life, actually, if you think about it. So parts of the book have great action, but other parts are slow and you're waiting for something to happen. (This is why I gave the book 4 instead of 5 stars).
Aug 31, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: abandoned
I wanted to like this book. The book jacket sounded good. The first 28 pages were filled with inane conversation between three 20-something men, interspersed with one of them trying to talk about God, and the other two not listening. I skimmed through several more pages, and it was more of the same. I just couldn't read it. It was like the author was trying to establish that these were three cool friends who had known each other forever and liked to pick on each other. I kind of wanted to keep r ...more
Cheryl Wood
Sep 28, 2013 Cheryl Wood rated it it was amazing
I liked this book even more than the author's first. Perhaps it was the romantic storyline that I enjoyed. But as the author does in his first book, Leaper, he manages to give us a story full of humor and intrigue and to challenge the way we view God and our relationship to him. There are also some very beautiful, poignant passages toward the end of the book, moments that make you want to cry. Overall, I think this is his best book yet. Can't wait to see what he writes next.
Stitch Robinson
Sep 09, 2013 Stitch Robinson rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one as well. It's different, third person not first, and a romantic comedy subplot, but I like it and it retained the same great humor as Leaper. I would recommend this book...
Abigail Wood
Sep 28, 2013 Abigail Wood rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny, sweet book that helps us understand better how we should live for God. I really did enjoy this and it's one that I can read over and over again!
Melanie
May 16, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
'There it was, Parrish thought. In less than 5 minutes, he'd completely failed at avoiding it, and now he either had to come out with the impossible answer or a credible lie. Very funny, God. And because this whole bit seemed God's, Parrish felt distinctly disinclined to lie, but neither did he want to tell the truth. And what was the truth?'

We often find ourselves in situations where we 'want to do the rich thing'.
The question is, by whom?

Who do we want the 'right' to be done by. By the law? B
Alice Berry
Sep 30, 2013 Alice Berry rated it it was amazing
This second book by author Geoffrey Wood was just as delightful as the first. Here he has a group of friends who engage in witty banter and not just the main character as in Leaper, but the humor and the poignancy are to be found here too. The premise revolves around a character who gets a fortune cookie from God. Yes, from God. And how Wood sets up the reason why the character believes the cookie fortune to be from God is probably the funniest part of the book. The book then follows the main ch ...more
Donald Simms
Sep 28, 2013 Donald Simms rated it it was amazing
I must admit to liking Wood's first novel --Leaper: The Misadventures of a Not-Necessarily-Super Hero-- a tad bit more. It was more outrageously funny and fast paced, whereas the God Cookie moves more slowly at times and its characters are a bit more low-key. But that said, this book is also a wonderful read. Very funny in places and quite beautiful in others. As before, Wood places his main character in a fantastical situation --he receives a fortune Cookie from God-- and by the use of this dev ...more
Teresa in Ohio
Sep 18, 2009 Teresa in Ohio rated it it was amazing
Parrish is the owner of a coffee shop and his 2 best buddies from childhood help out and they eat lunch a few times a week at the all you can eat Chinese Buffet. Well They are having an inane conversation about golf balls that involved into is God real? Parrish excuses himself and while washing up in the bathroom, asks God for a sign. Well he gets one in his fortune cookie and the adventure begins. Along the way he meets many people in many walks of life. He befriends a young woman who seems to ...more
John Kallaher
Sep 28, 2013 John Kallaher rated it it was amazing
Another great book by author Geoffrey Wood. This time a third person story with romantic comedy elements, but the main plot revolves around a character named Parrish who gets a fortune cookie from God telling him to do something very specific. Though slower paced than Leaper, the story moves along and explores the themes of faith and our availability to God's will for our lives even when it seems odd and out of the ordinary. If you got a fortune from God telling you to do something, would you re ...more
Anita
Jul 26, 2010 Anita rated it liked it
I skimmed through a lot of the beginning because there was too much boring dialogue, which I think was supposed to be witty repartee between some of the characters, but maybe since I am not a guy and not into sports, it just wasn't very interesting to me.

Then I spent most of the rest of the book fearful that it was going to turn out like The Shack - preaching about Christianity - that I couldn't really relax and enjoy it too much.

That said, I did like the story overall and really liked the main
Robin Arnold
Feb 23, 2016 Robin Arnold rated it liked it
This book started off meh for me. The main character and his two buddies who work for him engage in what is supposed to be snappy dialog but it's annoying to me. It was at page 92 the real story kicked in and I decided to finish the book. I saw some chances within the plot to develop the story further but they went missing so maybe this would make a series? Some how the buddies should get redeemed. They never are, at least I don't think so. They are comic relief apparently? There is message to t ...more
Abigail
Oct 12, 2009 Abigail rated it it was ok
I ended up giving up on this book after about thirty pages. At the same time, it wasn't so awful that it only deserves one star. It just plain didn't capture my attention. The writing seemed very male-centric to me -- not just because the characters are mostly male. The humor itself felt male, somehow. I also was waiting for the characters to develop into something more nuanced, but they remained one-dimensional to me. That said, I've heard from lots of people who loved this book, so maybe I jus ...more
Bonnie
May 23, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
This is a delightful read, even more than Wood's first book. The dialogue is funny-the three men who work together were often inane/hilarious-but there is a thought-provoking element to the plot as well. Wood takes a serious topic--being "all in" for God--and handles it with humor to get us to see what a difference it can make in one's life. There is a touching element as well, and he handles that nicely, though a bit predictably. I thought the Extra-Bit at the end was a riot, like a "bonus feat ...more
Ruth
Jun 14, 2015 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
If you find the idiotic batter from the TV show Psych entertaining this book may be for you. Three childhood friends: Parish, Mason, and Duncan, who are 20 something work together in a coffee shop owned by Parish. This story begins with an interesting and possibly heretical conversation about being all in with God. Parish takes the challenge and tells God he is all in. God then invites him on a journey. The journey is the story and invitation.
Anne
Aug 04, 2010 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coffee shop owner John Parrish thinks God is speaking to him through a fortune cookie which leads him on a journey of self-discovery. The dialogue among John and his two friends/slacker employees are funny, meandering musings about everything and nothing. Ultimately, this is a book about personal faith and how to do lead a life of meaning and purpose by learning to listen and by taking opportunities to do the right thing.
Gordon
Jun 09, 2014 Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apts-book-club
Would give this 3.5 stars, so I "rounded up." The premise is good and executed well without being "preachy." It is a nice light read with enough interest developed in the characters to keep the reader turning the pages. I like exploring the idea of what it means to listen to and for God amid everyday life. I also like the exploration of how to be helpful without being intrusive, and how to to take risks to develop relationships.
Cathleen
Feb 24, 2009 Cathleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: inspirational
An interesting premise, but ultimately unfulfilling. I am supposing that this is a foray into inspirational fiction for men (underserved, apart from the thriller genre), and because of that it may just not be my taste. However, the pacing seems all wrong, the humor juvenile, and the conclusion empty.
Elissa (crz4drwho)
May 30, 2009 Elissa (crz4drwho) rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2009
I'll be honest and say that I am disappointed. I loved the idea of this book. I even liked most of the characters. The pacing was far too slow for my taste - and the ending not as fulfilling as I would have liked. I continued reading only because I did like the characters. I would probably give it a 2.5 for the characters alone.
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This was very interesting and quirky! I enjoyed the plot. The communication on God's part is very similar to how my train of understanding views God. Even though I wouldn't have been as committed as he was, it was certainly similar to how I communicate with God! I also enjoyed the extra tid bit at the end... very fun!!!
Andrea
Jan 02, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Overall not bad, but I wouldn't recommend it. Nothing happens for the first third of the book, up to about page 90. Also, I couldn't tell Mason and Duncan apart most of the time which makes me think maybe he only needed one friend as part of the story. Once things started happening it was pretty good and I liked the other characters.
Carrie
May 04, 2009 Carrie rated it it was ok
I don't know, Ted Kendall, you've never steered me wrong before, but I'm not sure I'm with you on this one...it felt like the literature equivalent of Christian rock to me. I enjoyed some of the banter, but the characters were pretty one-dimensional and the surprise ending wasn't surprising at all. Vaguely pleasant, but also not as deep as it thought it was.
Janet Sketchley
Jul 05, 2010 Janet Sketchley rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really enjoyed this novel--can't believe it wasn't in the Christy Awards line-up. It's quirky, fun, and left me with plenty to think about.

I posted a review of The God Cookie on my blog.
Emily
Jul 10, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The God Cookie is filled with humor, good deeds, and heart-touching scenes. It is an interesting take on the question, "Does God still communicate with people today?" The character dialogue is exceptionally realistic.
Raelee Carpenter
"Hope is to rejoice early."

The God Cookie is thought-provoking and eye-opening in beautifully simple way. It has incredibly funny dialogue, off-beat & entertaining descriptions, and some absolutely genius spiritual moments. Highly recommended literary fiction.
Dara
Aug 02, 2012 Dara rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Just couldn't make it through this - the writing was self-conscious and the characters never grabbed me. I waded through half of it, then started skimming, then went away, and just didn't care enough to find out how it ended.
Ken McDouall
May 22, 2010 Ken McDouall rated it liked it
I didn't realize there was a genre of fiction called "faith fiction," though it shouldn't surprise me. Hopefully this doesn't represent the best of the genre. A mildly interesting plot and somewhat amusing characters make this an experience somewhat like watching an average TV sitcom.
Pam
Feb 06, 2015 Pam rated it did not like it
This book began with some promise - the dialogue was so real. But, unfortunately, the story just didn't match up. I'm actually surprised that I madw my way all the way through. A very unsatisfying read.
Alicia
Mar 06, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I adore this book! I enjoy the writing style because it pulls me in and I have the hardest time stopping if something needs my attention. The characters are loveable and relatable. A great read for anyone!
Bren
Sep 14, 2014 Bren rated it it was ok
The concept was interesting, however, the book was disappointing. I only got through a third of the book before giving up. I could no longer take reading character dialogue about taking action, when there was no actual action.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Healing Promises (Defenders of Hope #2)
  • Ruby Among Us (La Rosaleda #1)
  • Divine Appointments (Snowglobe Connections, #2)
  • Saints in Limbo
  • Mercy Come Morning
  • Painted Dresses
  • Skid (Occupational Hazards, #3)
  • The Corruptible (Ray Quinn #2)
  • Shadows on the Sand (Seaside Mysteries)
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers #1)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • Forget Me Not (Crossroads Crisis Center, #1)
  • The Last Christian
  • The Scroll
  • Limelight
  • The Canary List
  • Saturday Morning
  • The Crossing
Geoffrey Wood is a writer of fiction, plays and the occasional sonnet.
More about Geoffrey Wood...

“It was like magic, but so much of magic is about misdirection, whereas so much of redemption is straightforward and ordinary, piercing true and lit with surprise.” 1 likes
“That’s where thinking started, where thinking stopped, where all her prayers so long ago had dried up. She no longer prayed, nor even dreamed of changing her father. Her dreams now played variations on the theme of escape. And they were nothing more than that —just dreams, just play. She’d been alone at the end of her dreams so many times before and never had God helped her escape her father, because God couldn’t, because she would never escape her need to love him.” 1 likes