Start by marking “The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:

The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #6)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  6,224 ratings  ·  252 reviews
"You can't make alliances with witches and suchlike and hope to avoid being drawn toward the dark."

As the Spook's apprentice, Thomas Ward's first duty is to protect the County from ghosts, boggarts, and other dangerous creatures. But now his mother has come back from her homeland to seek his help. One of the most dangerous of the old witches, Ordeen, is about to return to
Published August 25th 2009 by Greenwillow Books (first published June 4th 2008)

Cynthia
This latest Tom Ward book was just as good as all the others. I tore through it in a matter of days and now I have to wait until August to read the 7th installment!

I just love the characters in this one. Tom Ward, the Last Apprentice himself, is such a touching character. He is innocent in many ways, and yet has seen great evil in his short life. His best friend/girlfriend, Alice, was born to a witch family and there is the constant threat that she may turn to the dark side, but she loves Tom m
Nathaniel ΘΣ
Chris
Reveiwed first at Brunner's Bookshelf

This was an intense story for this series. A lot of emotional themes and some impressive battles made this one of my favorites of the series. Tom’s mother left for her homeland after the passing of his father a few books back. Now she has returned to ask Tom for his help in stopping the oldest and most powerful witch who will bring nothing but destruction in her wake.

Tensions run very high in this book between the Spook and Tom and his mother. The Spook tell
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
In terms of excitement and non-stop action, The Spook's Sacrifice is right up there with the first book in the series. I read this installment in just 2 days' time and now I'm a little bummed that I read so fast, because this is it until May!

This book has a formula that I consider to be successful in nearly all cases: there's a quest - an actual journey that takes the characters out of a familiar setting and plunges them into a totally new atmosphere. That tension nearly always creates a fun an
Duffy Pratt
Another good installment in what is shaping up to be a very solid series. By this, the sixth book, the series has focused itself on an ongoing war between Tom and his allies, and the fiend. Here, Tom joins with a host of witches to fight against an ancient evil God in Greece. His mother has returned to marshall all the forces she can for this fight. The main internal tension, again, is between the Spook's resolve not to use dark to fight dark. On the other side of this are Alice and Mam, who bot ...more
Becky
I'm a long-time fan of the adventures of Thomas Ward, the Spook's apprentice. His story started with Revenge of the Witch and now Clash of the Demons is the sixth book in this genuinely frightening series. The story is told from Tom's perspective in the first person so the reader is completely inside his head. Delaney pulls you into Tom's world and makes you feel for him and care about everyone he loves.

For those who need a little Last Apprentice tutorial, Tom Ward is the seventh son of a sevent
Every 7 years, Ordeen will come to Greece and makes a bloodbath everytime she comes.
But not now, because Mam doesn't intended to let her back. Especially when the Fiend is unleashed.
And to prevent Ordeen, Mam needs allies. Either from the Light, or the Dark.

one of my favorite series, nowadays. So the review!

The characters
they're changed throughout this series. Either they're better, or worse.
I like to see how they'll end up like.

Tom seems to be much more impulsive than he's ever been. He isn
Audiobooks_Rock
So why have I given this book such a tough rating?
The answer is simple. from this book and onwards, the world Mr Delaney build gets ripped to shreds. The story becomes one of herculian proportions and irish legends. This book is in my opinion the moment this series broke.

I really liked the first 4 books, the 5th was pretty good too, but from there on its all 1 big mish mash of legends and stories that ruin the original story for me. I did not want to read an epic story. But that is what the boo
Woodge
This is book number 6 in the series that I've been reading aloud to Luke and the only reason it took a while to finish is that we were pretty busy doing other things like moving to Sweden for a year. You know how that is. Anyway, in this outing, the brave young Tom Ward gets recruited by his Mam to head south to Greece to fight a dangerous menace known as the Ordeen. Tom is in for some nasty surprises and some tough decisions.

Luke and I read to page 270 or so when he just couldn't wait for the n
Sónia Tigol
This book was just as good as all the others, it was an intense story for this series. This book have a lot of emotional themes and some impressive battles, that made this one of my favorites of the series. The truth about Thomas' mam is revealed, and they must battle a tremendously evil force called the Ordeen.
In this book Tom is in for some nasty surprises and some tough decisions.
This book was Well-written, suspenseful, and enchanting.
I loved this story and really hope the rest in this serie
Ana
Oct 05, 2012 Ana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the ones that like witches
Recommended to Ana by: Vlad
NOTE : see this review and more on http://cocainepages.wordpress.com

These books are unbelievably addictive! I can't even begin to tell you how nice it was to stop a while from reading all types of disparate books and focus on this series, which has been, contrary to my belief, really nice to dig in to.

I have given every book in this series 4 stars, because I've always been in love with stories about witches and wizzards and bad people wanting to control our world, and this speaks of exactly
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
Interesting beginning. Lots of questions right off. The title of the book, chapter, and the chapter itself gives no initial clues from which I can divine from, however I was given a heads up (so stop reading these chapter notes now, if you don’t want to know about it), and I won’t tell you WHO told me this (but they know who they are), one of the male leads (yeah, I don’t know who specifically, but I’m pretty sure it’s Tom) sells his soul to the Fiend.

Read more and add your own commentary at R.
Christine Rains
Another fantastic addition to the Last Apprentice series. The fight against the dark takes Thomas, the Spook, and Alice overseas to Greece. The truth about Thomas' mam is revealed, and they must battle a tremendously evil force called the Ordeen.

Well-written, suspenseful, and enchanting. My reviews for these books haven't been that long, but it's only because I don't want to give anything away. So much happens in this series. You simply must read it to find out for yourself, and I highly recomme
Catherine Loiseau
J’avais quitté Tom de retour à la maison de Chipenden, qui apprenait le retour de sa mère venue de Grèce. Hélas pour lui, le bonheur est de courte durée, car ils doivent repartir pour affronter l’un des plus grands dangers qu’ils aient jamais connus.

Cette fois, la guerre contre l’obscur est ouverte. Finis les embuscades et les affrontements en un contre un, nous avons droit à une vraie bataille, avec une armée complète. Ce tome est plus violent que les précédents à ce titre. Certains des personn
John
Filip
Příběh o Lovci duchů opět nezklamal a myslím, že tenhle díl by se mohl počítat jako jeden z těch, které velkým dílem rozvíjí příběh. Řeší se zde několik událostí z minulé knihy, umře několik postav a už teď mě hodně štve, že vlastně nevím, jak to s Tomem a obětováním, které je hlavním námětem knihy, dopadne. Sice jsem se při čtení nebál, ale je pravda, že některé ze scén byly opravdu dech beroucí! Aneb sečteno a podtrženo: Potřebuji další díl!
Chloe
Personally, I think this was my least favorite of the series thus far. It felt rushed in some parts and extremely slow in others. The characters lost some of their spark, which I can't quite explain other than that they just weren't fully what I've come to know them to be. I also felt the end was a bit abrupt, as opposed to the 'final battle' which lasted nearly half the book. This book just wasn't well paced at all, which is odd for this author. I also missed learning about different things the ...more
Anita Prince
This is the sixth book in The Last Apprentice series. Mam returns to the County and enlists the help of Tom, Alice, the County witches, and the Spook. The Ordeen, the most dangerous witch in the world, is about to arise from the Ord in Greece. If she is not destroyed, she and her followers will bring death and destruction to the entire world. Joseph Delaney introduces a new set of horrific, evil creatures for the forces of good to defeat.
Megan
Whew, what a great book, as always. I read the first 150 pages in no time at all, and the rest of the book was just as good; I just didn't have enough time to read straight through. This one isn't as scary as the first book, but it's just as interesting and well-written. If you've enjoyed the other books in the series, you will continue to enjoy this!
Michelle E.
Very interesting read. Six books in, these books are a bit formulaic. They do have a (slight) continous storyline, but every book has a Big Bad stirring up trouble, Big Bad is defeated/outwitted by Tom, then Tom and the Spook end up at home in relative calm until the next ordeal. Now, that can be good or bad; if you hate repetition, this is not the series for you. If you liked the first book, you will (probably) like the rest (book two was actually a low point for me so keep reading beyond that! ...more
David
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the first four books of The Last Apprentice were non-stop entertainment for me. I can find no flaws with them, considering the age-group they were written for.

The fifth book brought all that to a halt and, even being a very short kid's book, was a bit of a struggle for me to get through, and the thing is I can't even put my finger on why.

This book brought back more of that intangible element that I loved about the series in the first place, but not enough
Trudi
Didn't grab me in the first half like the others in the series, but by the end I was hooked as always. Can't wait to see what happens next. Seriously, if you have a reluctant reader in your life, child or adult, recommend this series. You will be doing them a solid!
Tom
A solid continuation of the series that explains some mysteries of the past, but requires the strength of previous books to stand. A bit formulaic, and rather less interesting than the series' previous titles, but still a nice diversion for a rainy afternoon.
Librarian Lavender
The Spook's Sacrifice is the sixth book in the Spook's Series. In this book Tom's mother plays an important role. She wants Tom to join her in a fight against the Ord, her sworn enemy.
The world is getting darker and darker and Tom has to give up some of his beliefs to do what he has to do. The Fiend is never far away. Fortunately Alice will stand by him again. A lot of terrible things happen and they are all sinister and gruesome. Not all enemies can be defeated at once and Tom finds himself in
Karin
Again, this is strange as I read this book under a different title Last Apprentice Clash of the Demons, but clearly the same book as described in the reviews. Odd and confusing! Nevertheless, still loving this series. I am happy to say the characters are developing nicely, with just the right mix of mystery and consistency. Each book has its own story with its own conclusion, but also a clear role in the larger developing story. I will say that I am going to take a small break from the series si ...more
Christen
This series is the first one in a while that scared me on a level I used to seek out when I was young. I love the studiousness of all the dark beings.
Cherie Ann
I love this installation of the series!
Luna
It had to happen I guess, The Spook’s Sacrifice didn’t work for me. There are important elements in this story, things that I am sure will play big parts in future books but I didn’t actually care that much.

Tom’s Mam recruits him, The Spook, Arkwright, various witches (which the Spook isn’t happy about) to travel to her homeland and stop Ordeen from rising. Ordeen is an old goddess who would be a huge support to Old Nick, hence the reason she has to be stopped at all costs.

My problem with this b
Aparajitabasu
In the previous book we learned about the mistake the Spook makes, now we learn what he sacrifices in The Wardstone Chronicles #6 The Spook's Sacrifice by Joseph Delaney .

Here is the summary of the book:

As the Spook's apprentice Tom's first duty is to protect the County from the dark. But now Mam needs his help in her homeland of Greece. One of the most dangerous of the old gods, the Ordeen, is about to return there, bringing slaughter and devastation. Meanwhile, the Devil himself is still loose
dragonhelmuk
Does anyone know anything about this book? 6 59 Mar 13, 2012 07:37PM
  • Noblesse: Season 2, Set
  • Sânge satanic
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • The Immortals (the Edge Chronicles, #10)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Hotarul Nestatornic (La Medeleni, #1)
  • The Bone Magician (Tales From The Sinister City, #2)
  • The Sunlight Slayings (Oliver Nocturne, #2)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • How to Break a Dragon's Heart (How to Train Your Dragon, #8)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more
More about Joseph Delaney...
Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1) Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2) Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3) Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4) The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)

“Have faith in who you are. Believe that you will recover, and it will truly happen. And don't judge yourself too harshly. Some things are meant to be, and you had to fall so that later you may rise and become what you are truly meant to be.” 50 likes
“Human beings have hope. Not matter how desperate things are, they convince themselves that they can change things for the better."

- John Gregory (Clash of the Demons)”
29 likes