Start by marking “The Officer's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Officer's Daughter

The Officer's Daughter

An epic wartime romance which sees a headstrong young woman face hardship, danger and dilemmas as the forces of history sweep her across continents, while two men compete to claim her heart.
592 pages
Published by Portobello Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Officer's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Officer's Daughter

Judith Starkston
The Officer’s Daughter reminds me, oddly enough, of Huck Finn, if it’s possible to say that about a book set in World War II and crossing much of Poland, the USSR, and into Iran with a stop in England later on. It’s a tale of a young person’s epic journey and ongoing moral crises. No feuding between families, just nations, and plenty of slavery of one sort or other.

On the eve of the German invasion of Poland, Marta Dolniak, a headstrong, overly idealistic, naïve sixteen-year-old Polish girl and
Alusha
I liked this book, I liked how informative it was, how interesting the author made the girls journey, it was really great. The middle part has even got some romance in it and its very catchy from there. But the last 150 pages were very disappointing and the ending was terrible in my opinion!!!!
But if Zina Rohan will write a sequel.... to make the ending seem half as bad, I will give it 4 stars! AND read the sequel :D
Katie Mcsweeney
Really liked the writing and the story but as Alushs said I think the ending was a total let down, perhaps paving the way for a sequel. In that regard it reminded me of Belle by Leasley Pearse.
Phyllida
Jun 24, 2017 Phyllida rated it did not like it
Spoiler alert: I thought this book was about a Polish girl guide leading her friends to safety in WW2 but found it was more about her moving from one bad situation to another and needing different kinds of courage to deal with each one. It would have made up for it if she ever found happiness but she doesn't. I read this quickly just to get through it and move on to something less dreary.
Margaret Houston
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, until the end.

I'm getting this a lot recently, actually. In the last couple of years there have been a LOT of books I've read where I'm keen and interested and enjoying it and then, upon completion, want to drop-kick the book AND its author out a window for the totally anticlimactic letdown of an ending. I truly hope this isn't some sort of new post-postmodern trend.

I can't say more without spoilers, but I basically felt as though I'd been sucked into a vivid, in
Henni
Hvis den sidste 1/3-1/4 del ikke havde været der havde den fået tre måske 4 stjerner.
Bogen starter rigtigt godt, med vores heltinde Marta på grænsen til Tyskland da 2. verdenskrig bryder ud, vi følger hendes rejse gennem Polen/Rusland/Iran som flygtning, krigsfange og fri og det er spændende og interessant fortalt ud fra en polsk teenagers syn. Men så knækker filmen desværre (i min verden) og bogen går fra at være en sød feelgood til en tragisk øv-historie - det er synd for det kunne have været
Kerry Hallam
A well researched book;I found the detail about life in Poland, Siberian Labour Camps and Iranian Field Hospitals in World War II fascinating. Disappointingly I was less impressed by the heroine who I found somewhat unconvincing. Like other reviewers I found the last hundred or so pages rather weak and the story simply seemed to fizzle away.
Karen
May 11, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the book provided interesting insights into life, attitudes and hardships suffered by the Poles in WW2 I could not warm to the main character at all, a disappointing read in the end which felt as if it was only half done.
Anne Fox
Mar 18, 2014 Anne Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I got a sense of the circumstances and history of the time. There was a good pace to the story, made me read on or stop and think.
Chelsea Lulu
Best read ever.
Barbara Wallis
Dec 26, 2012 Barbara Wallis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating book about the Second World War in Poland. Only book I have ever read with an Agata as a character (name of Katie's best friend)! Definitely worth a read. Bit disappointing finish.
Emily Ettridge
Emily Ettridge rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
BaryRosa
BaryRosa rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Jacek Musial
Jacek Musial rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2008
Alina
Alina rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Siddartha Dey
Siddartha Dey rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
. Purdysnaps
. Purdysnaps rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Em
Em rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Rosie
Rosie rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2011
Shirley Coppard
Shirley Coppard rated it liked it
May 30, 2011
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2013
Mags
Mags rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2012
Jolka
Jolka rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Anette Lerche
Anette Lerche rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Magdamaple
Magdamaple rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2012
Anna-Sofie
Anna-Sofie rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Kedron
Kedron rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2010