I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever

I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Imagine you're the world's biggest Beatles fan and you've just snuck into John Lennon's hotel room. But instead of being thrown out, inexplicably you're invited to spend the day with your idol. That's exactly what happened to fourteen-year-old Jerry Levitan in 1969. After hearing John was in Toronto for a "bed in," Jerry tracked him down at the King Edward Hotel and convin...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Harper Design (first published 2009)

Crosby
Dec 30, 2010 Crosby added it
I wanted to read at least one book over the holidays but have little time so when my daughter Cami gave me this for Christmas, I thought it was the ideal book since it quite short and about a subject I have been interested in for 40 plus years--popular music. It served to re-kindle some of the feelings I remember having back in the 60's and also was a nice reminder that sometimes it happens that those who say you can't do something end up seeing you pass them by just because you want it bad enou...more
Misha
ფრიად სასიამოვნო პატარა წიგნი ბიტლომანისთვის, ვინც იცის და წარმოუდგენია რას ნიშნავს ჯონ ლენონი და ბითლზი. წიგნი არა იმდენად ჯონ ლენონზე რამდენადაც ბიტლომანზე რომელიც შეხვდა თავის გმირს, რომელმაც მთლიანად შეცვლაა მისი ცხოვრება. ვკითხულობდი და ვფიქრობიდი "ვაა რა მაგარია, 14 წლის ჩვეულებვრივი ბავშვი ხვდება ჯონ ლენონს და წერს 40 წუთიან არაჩვეულებვრივ ინტერვიუს. ჯონი კი მას მთელი სერიოზულობით ესაუბრება მშვოდობაზე და თავის ფილოსოფიაზე" highly recommended for Beatles fans!
Ryan
I went into this thinking it was a book about the Beatles, and that's not really true - it's more a book about Jerry Levitan that discusses the role the Beatles played in his life, and how one experience can become the defining moment of a person's childhood. True to that, the book's presented as a multi-media scrapbook, with the text being supplemented by photos from the time and a DVD, as well as some funky drawings and font choices. It's a very well put together book.

The main body of the book...more
Brianna
Oct 24, 2009 Brianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dreamers
Interviewer: What's it like being a Beatle?

George Harrison: What's it like not being a Beatle?

Judging by the limited reviews of this book, it's a story only a Lennon fan would love (although I can't stop being a Lennon fan long enough to test that theory). But it shouldn't be.

////////////

The author was 14 years old in 1969, the year JohnandYoko (it was one word) came to his home town of Montreal to meet the press. Jerry calls upon his resourcefulness and youthful faith (in his quest and in his...more
Marthe Bijman
This is one of those books that you can reread and delve into again and again, since it is most beautifully designed, illustrated, produced and written. It is the memoir of musician, actor, film producer and lawyer Jerry Levitan, who, when he was a nerdy fourteen year-old, conned his way into an interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono, an experience which changed his life. Levitan had been a fanatical Beatles admirer, and he could not let the opportunity pass to see Lennon face to face when he a...more
Peacegal
3.5 stars -- Levitan's enthusiasm for his subject matter is contagious. Join him in starstruck wonder while, as a young teenager, he manages to be granted an exclusive interview with the biggest stars on the planet--John Lennon and Yoko Ono.

While the writing is at times amateurish, it is so refreshing to read a music memoir that isn't tainted by cynicism or ill-will or attempts to "out-hip" the reader. Instead, the author simply brings readers into the fold; "An incredibly lucky and amazing thin...more
Jordan Scott
This was a really good read and I found it to be very informative.
Gord
This is a great telling of a series of events that profoundly affected one man's thinking and direction in life and what he did with the fruits of that meeting.

I greatly enjoyed the story and while the hero worship does wear a bit thin at times, all I have to do is imagine myself in the same situation to understand.

The books comes with a DVD copy of the Oscar-nominated short film that Levitan and two collaborators made from the Super-8 footage that he shot of John and Yoko. Wonderful stuff.
Luxvivens
What a wonderful little book! I've been a fan of the Beatles, especially John Lennon, ever since I was little, so it's a bit of a surprise that I did not read this book until now. It's a great story both for Beatles fans or fans of John Lennon and just fans of people in general. Such a heart-warming story of a long-gone era in which it took hardcore fandom to be on top of the news concerning your star and you could pretend to be someone from the press by simply faking a phone call.
Anthony
It was nice to read a book about John that showed him in a positive light. It's kind of rough when you have a hero worship thing going on with someone and every book you read makes him out to be the biggest monster since Hitler. He wrote All You Need Is Love, he couldn't have been all that bad.
Alan
This book is awesome. Especially for John Lennon fans. The art and pictures are incredible. The way the whole book is made is just great. The story about a boy called jerry Levitan who enters John Lennons room in Montreal(I am almost sure it is Montreal)
Katie
A great story about everyone's dream to meet the most influential man in music. Jerry Levitan illustrates the passion and true love we have for the Beatles. Well written and deeply compelling the story comes alive.
Jessica
Absolutely fabulous considering that I am infatuated with John's aura. The situation this fellow was handed is a dream. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Dana Burnside
One of the best little books I've ever read. I lived the adventure with him. Thank you, Jerry. I could read this book over and over.
Jim Booth
Read the review at http://newsoutherngentleman.wordpress... - link is also available at my profile page...
Pmacke
neat story about a Canadian kid who crashed john & yoko's bed-in
Michael
Jul 19, 2009 Michael is currently reading it
Excellent read about what is a fairy tale for most of us.
Craig
Great story, easy to follow, very intresting.
Steve
...unnecessary account of a brief encounter.
Bob Segers
Oct 08, 2011 Bob Segers marked it as to-read
Music
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Amelia
Amelia added it
Jul 05, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2014
Dawn Chapman
Dawn Chapman marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014