Start by marking “One Thousand And One Arabian Nights, Vol. 1 Of 16 (Forgotten Books)” as Want to Read:
One Thousand And One Arabian Nights, Vol. 1 Of 16 (Forgotten Books)

One Thousand And One Arabian Nights, Vol. 1 Of 16 (Arabian Nights (A Thousand and One Nights))

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This work, labourious as it may appear, has been to me a labour of love, an unfailing source of solace and satisfaction. During my long years of official banishment to the luxuriant and deadly deserts of Western Africa, and to the dull and dreary half clearings of South America, it proved itself a charm, a talisman against ennui and despondency. Impossible even to open the...more
Kindle Edition

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand And One Arabian Nights, Vol. 1 Of 16, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand And One Arabian Nights, Vol. 1 Of 16

Karen
Update 3: I've read 15 volumes, only 2 left. Strangely, the two most famous tales from the Nights, Aladdin and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, are not in Richard Burton's "official canon" but are rather in the supplemental volumes, in several versions by different translators.

Update 2: I have finished the first ten volumes, the actually 1,001 Nights. It's amusing that the translator, Sir Richard Burton, waits until the TERMINAL essay to reveal the superstition that whoever reads the Arabian Nights...more
Mohammad Ali Abedi
No one ever told me this compilation is so humongous. The translation by Richard Francis Burton is 16 volumes in total. The first book itself is relatively large and reading all 16 is too much, so I've stopped at the first volume.

The wrap around sure be familiar to most people. In short, Shahrzade marries the King, who sleeps with a wife for only a night and then executes them. To ward off her execution, she tells him stories, and usually stops halfway or starts a new one, so the King will want...more
Douglas S
This rating is for the massive 16 book collection.
There are some typos and the end of the first book is shortened. This will be fixed in later printings. Considering the affordability of these classics, I will only take away 1 star from this publication due to these problems. This is a superb classic. Future printing of this collection should be 5 stars out of 5 stars.
Jen3n
I'm performing in a play right now which has a decidedly Eastern feel in its premise, and the title characted is, in fact, a Jinn, so I decided to go back and reread this translation of the clasic Arabian Nights stories.

I love these. They're mavelous and bawdy and terrifying and beautiful. And this translation is neither edited nor censored, so I would highly recommend it to anyone, but with a word of warning to those folks for whom Disney's Aladin is their only reference point for these tales.
Galicius
I found out that Ssheherazade had a younger sister Dunyazad.
Thannasset
Jul 17, 2007 Thannasset rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all and everyone--forever!
Does anyone at this site not know a story from the 'Arabian Nights'? To anyone who hasn't read the English version which wasn't chopped up by someone who thought they had to for some ungodly reason, here's one fairly easy to find edition..not sanitized, not bowlderized, not censored, whatever.

To anyone at all who reads this and knows the stories in their original language(s), please please reply, message me, whatever!

thannasset
Philip Bergstresser

I spent my childhood building my dreams of the future upon the stories here , although looking back, innocence has not the judgmental and analytical sceptic mind that I have today.
Lisa
Slogging my way through these. Some are interesting, a lot are violent and disturbing. It's been a year and a half long journey of getting through.
Sycophantelephant
First 4 volumes were great. Then it started to get repetitive.
Uppalaiah Erugu
excellent book to read
Sandeep Soodan
Sandeep Soodan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Katerina
Katerina is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Alexander Winter
Alexander Winter marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Deepa
Deepa added it
Aug 31, 2014
Ioana Draghici
Ioana Draghici marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Stunning Mess
Stunning Mess marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Amanda Reale
Amanda Reale marked it as to-read
James
James marked it as to-read
Aisling
Aisling marked it as to-read
Rick Vetrone
Rick Vetrone marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Arlene
Arlene marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ana Khinchikashvili
Ana Khinchikashvili marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Aliena
Aliena marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sher
Sher added it
Jul 24, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita