Start by marking “Thirty Days and Counting” as Want to Read:
Thirty Days and Counting

Thirty Days and Counting

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A poignant novel of romance. An Air Force Captain and a teacher meet by chance and we hear their story unfold in a tale of love and self-discovery.

Captain Jack Caufield meets Nigel by chance in the local Fish-n-Chip in Lakenheath, England. Nigel is a lecturer at a local college and plays rugby for one of the local leagues. Nigel knows what he wants and doesn't let anythin
Published April 1st 2008 by CreateSpace (first published March 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Thirty Days and Counting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirty Days and Counting

Edina Rose

It is everything the blurb says. It is a beautiful love story. But it is also a bittersweet story. It left me in tears.

Jack, a middle-aged man, meet another middle-aged man in a gay bar. Jack is lonely, hurting, and he ends up telling this stranger about his life, but mostly, about Nigel, the man he loved and lost (view spoiler).

The whole book is a story of Jack and Nigel's love, told by Jack to the stranger. I felt like I was sitting in front
Sunne Manello
Bukcrz
In order not to gush (much) I have to say this is just one of the handful M/M books I've read and all I can say is the book is absorbing. I can't help but compare it to most of my usual M/F picks and this book will easily top more than half of them, IMHO.
First, the book is written in the first person POV - not my usual pick of POV - but the writing was so good it drew me in that I was focused on the romance rather than on the POV.
I always said that I read romance because of the magic of falling
Ami
The story starts with this nameless man who meets Jack in a bar, then Jack tells his life story to him. So the prologue and epilogue is written with the stranger as narrator while the whole story in the middle is written from Jack's perspective. Story wise it is okay I guess. An American Air Force officer meets local teacher/rugby player in Lakenheath, England. With the blurb using 'poignant', I think you might as well be aware that the story of Jack and Nigel doesn't end in happy ending.

Techni
Jessa Ryan
There were some parts that were slow in the first half, and it took me awhile to get into the writing, but... but the story was soooo worth it. I'm not into bittersweet books usually. I want that HEA! But this book builds so slowly and sweetly it had me bawling by the end. Yikes! It's a story that will stick with me for awhile and one I really hope there will be a sequel to so we can see Jack have the HEA that he deserves.
Pati
OMG! This has got to be the most touching book that I've ever read. Though there were a few times that I found myself skimming through some of the descriptions of things I could not put it down!! I highly recommend this romance to everyone!! Warning, you will need a box of tissues.
Martin
Aug 18, 2013 Martin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: gay
This is a simple and sweet love story between a 40-something US Air Force captain and a British English Literature lecturer who is 10-years his junior. It is mainly set in Suffolk around the airforce base of Lakenheath and is written from the viewpoint of the American. The emotional ending holds no surprises.

The story is very simple indeed. The language is straightforward. In fact there are few, if any, metaphors or similies in sight. It is not so much literature as a series of descriptions of e
Shelby P
May 28, 2013 Shelby P rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shelby P by: Bukcrz
Shelves: m-m, military
The writing in this novel made it hard to get through although it's a fairly short book. I did not like the boxy look of the words on the page. I was also bored in the beginning. Things did pick up once Jack meets Nigel, however.

I guess this is considered gay fiction and not gay romance because the sex was fade to black. Seems liked all the guys did was snog, not too much shagging. Which is okay. I've read and enjoyed gay fiction where there wasn't any or much sex.

I've never read about charact
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Driima
Driima added it
May 30, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Gyvareva
Gyvareva marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Sadonna
Sadonna marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Tai4o
Tai4o marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Nareh
Nareh marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
SheReadsALot
SheReadsALot marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2013
Thota
Thota added it
Feb 25, 2013
jagr9563
jagr9563 marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Von Dred Thom Blood (Blood Underground #2) The Book of Jacob Thavs (Blood Underground #1) Management and Change in Africa: A Cross-Cultural Perspective