Start by marking “Agenda to Change Our Condition” as Want to Read:
Agenda to Change Our Condition

Agenda to Change Our Condition

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  18 reviews
First published in 1999, this expanded edition provides clear and effective guidance for rectifying our state as conscientious and productive Muslims. With an emphasis on Taqwa (God-consciousness) and Ikhlas (sincerity), Agenda To Change Our Condition is an indispensable handbook for all Muslims striving for excellence in character and self-refinement. Topics covered inclu ...more
Paperback
Published 2007 by Zaytuna Institute

To ask other readers questions about Agenda to Change Our Condition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agenda to Change Our Condition

Tamara
In my attempt to read books abt Islam in English, I stumbled upon this one. It is really an excellent book and worth a read. The focus on taqwa related to the title is both appropriate and interesting. Indeed we will not change in any way without taqwa.
Safendrri Ragamustari
This book is an eye opener and a concise guide to practical actions that we can do to change our current state.
It's deeply rooted in spirituality from the Islamic tradition.
Pashew Majeed
A very practical and way important guide for Muslims to live as a Muslim. I loved it and hope that I can implement the agenda in my life.
Umm Layth
Feb 28, 2008 Umm Layth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone.
Recommended to Umm Layth by: Abu Layth
Shelves: islam, tasawwuf, self-help
This book is great for anyone seeking betterment of their soul. It provides realistic ways of defeating certain ill characteristics, with plenty of encouraging words. It comes with small little sheets that help one keep track of progress.

A must read for any Muslim man or woman who seeks Allah.
saudarilee
extremely helpful but best to follow up with our own action plan so we can take note of our progress in sha Allah
Diyanah
This book definitely serves as a motivational device to correct the condition of our worship. I learned to be more aware of what constitutes an enormity in my deeds, and how to rid myself of it. It was a good read. al-hamdu lillah.
Ammar
a very helpful book encouraging us to to change and become better people by citing improvements we can make to our social life and lifestyle; it is nicely-written and very intellectual. it is a must-read.
Suhayb
This is an excellent and practical book for those serious about improving their realtionship with Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala). I must read it again soon.
Ahsun
Good simple book that helps you get back on track. It's not merely a book, but also contains a checklist to keep with your plan on changing your condition.
Roohe
MashaAllah really good book. And not b/c it's written by Shaykh Hamza and Imam Zaid, but just b/c it's a good practical book we can apply to our lives.
Rehenuma
Apr 26, 2007 Rehenuma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: spirituality/reform
This book is a really great read for a halaqa because it brings up a lot of issues that are pertinent to the Muslim community.. Highly recommend it
Chey
This was fantastic book and really shows us what we need to see and hear . I highly recommend it and all his work. This is available on CD as well
Hadil Diab-hadaya
Excellent book reminding us to guard our heart by guarding avenues to our heart. Practical tips and beautiful verses and quotes.
Laila
A very practical book on how one can attain taqwa (after a very precise definition of piety with examples and all)- A total win!
sara
short and simple...sheikh hamza yousuf breaks down daily steps one can implement in order to change ourselves inside out...
Anisa
Awesome book. IA I can implement some of this advice.
sadaf
really, anything written by this man is amazing.
Nur
Nur marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Asma Ben
Asma Ben marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Ahsanul Zoha
Ahsanul Zoha marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Hend Zamalkawia
Hend Zamalkawia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Amir Baig
Amir Baig marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
LZ
LZ marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Joel Trono-Doerksen
Joel Trono-Doerksen marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Layla Suleiman
Layla Suleiman is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
Chris Kab
Chris Kab marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • The Lives of Man: A Guide to the Human States: Before Life, In the World, and After Death
  • Instruction of the Student: The Method of Learning
  • The Creed of Imam al-Tahawi
  • The Content of Character: Ethical Sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (sa)
  • The Prophetic Invocations
  • Al-Ghazali on Disciplining the Soul and on Breaking the Two Desires (Books XXII and XXIII of The Revival of the Religious Sciences)
  • رسالة المسترشدين
  • The Messenger: The Meanings of the Life of Muhammad
  • Scattered Pictures: Reflections Of An American Muslim
  • Reliance of the Traveller: A Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • Educating Your Child In Modern Times:  Raising An Intelligent, Sovereign, & Ethical Human Being
  • Muhammad: Man and Prophet
  • A Young Muslim's Guide to the Modern World
  • The Story of the Qur'an: Its History and Place in Muslim Life
  • Hadith: An Introduction (Foundations of Islam)
Hamza Yusuf is a cofounder of Zaytuna College, located in Berkeley, California. He is an advisor to Stanford University’s Program in Islamic Studies and the Center for Islamic Studies at Berkeley’s Graduate Theological Union. He also serves as a member of the board of advisors of George Russell’s One Nation, a national philanthropic initiative that promotes pluralism and inclusion in America. In a ...more
More about Hamza Yusuf...
Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart The Burda Of Al Busiri Caesarean Moon Births: Calculations, Moon Sighting, and the Prophetic Way Men and Women Vision of Islam

“It is of the extraordinary insights of Imam Malik that the first section of his Muwatta', which precedes even the section on ritual purity, is on the times of the prayer. It is the times of prayer that obligate purity. Observing the times of prayer is the first thing we do when we wake and the last thing we do before retiring to bed; it is done in the middle of the day and in its decline. It is an unrelenting reminder of to whom we belong, why we are here, and where we are going.” 2 likes
“Exercise 1: Guarding the Prayer

Once we are performing the five obligatory prayers with regularity, then it is certainly worth our efforts to begin increasing extra prayers- especially the late-night prayers (tahajjud). Late-night prayer is one of the defining qualities of a salih (righteous) person, also called a wali (friend of Allah). Regarding late-night prayers, Fudayl b. 'Iyyad said that if a man was unable to do them, it was due to his wrong actions during the day. May Allah make us befitting to stand before Him, here and in the hereafter.

Agenda to Change our Condition, Hamza Yusuf & Zaid Shakir, S. 46”
0 likes