Start by marking “'Seventeen Syllables': Hisaye Yamamoto” as Want to Read:
'Seventeen Syllables': Hisaye Yamamoto

'Seventeen Syllables': Hisaye Yamamoto

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Hisaye Yamamoto's often-reprinted tale of a naive American daughter and her Japanese mother captures the essence of the cultural and generational conflicts so common among immigrants and their American-born children. On the surface, "Seventeen Syllables" is the story of Rosie and her preoccupation with adolescent life. Between the lines, however, lurks the tragedy of her m ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Rutgers University Press (first published August 31st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about 'Seventeen Syllables', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 'Seventeen Syllables'

Jianne
Well, I've only really read "Seventeen Syllables" here and I can't find just "Seventeen Syllables" so I had to add this whole thing.

Since my English literature classes started, we have yet to read a short story that the protagonist is a teenager. So finally, "Seventeen Syllables" came. And as far as the plot is concerned, I'm not really sure what I liked about it. I guess what I liked about this short story is the language (as always) Eng Lit. really opened my eyes to the beauty of words. I love
David Bonesteel
Hisaye Yamamoto was not a prolific writer, but her output of fine short stories spans decades. Central themes include assimilation and the loss of traditional cultural values, troubled marraiges, and, of course, the shameful internment of Japanese Americans during WWII. As a writer who was raised in the culture and who originally published many of these stories in Japanese American publications for a largely Japanese American audience, she produces uniquely authentic accounts of a lifestyle that ...more
Jonathan
This is a book with several short stories. All the short stories are from people who are Asian immigrants that come to America for a better life. The people who wrote these short stories are all women and the stories are all about their past. These stories are about neighbors from when the women were young, family and what they had to go through back then, and jobs their families had.
I thought this book was good and interesting. This book had many stories about different things like a name or wh
Allisonjam
This is a really great example of a very well thoughtout short story collection. While I loved some, liked a lot and to be honest, could do without a couple, I felt overall it had enough range to appeal to a large audience. The tone of the revised/new stories is noticeably different from the earlier ones. I particularly was impressed with her use of humor, details, and variance in main protagonists voice.
Kate
Mar 18, 2011 Kate added it
Shelves: 2011
Very sorry to find that Hisaye Yamamoto has died, considering that this is the first I've read of her short stories. Unfortunately this critical volume only contains two ("Seventeen Syllables" and "Yoneko's Earthquake") although both are great. Strikes me as genuinely unfortunate that she never wrote a novel.
Danna
I couldn't resist buying a collection of short stories by a masterful Japanese American storyteller. Yet another "clearance" book written by a prominent twentieth century female author. Makes me wonder...
Kevin
2 short stories; the rest is commentary and analysis. I wish there had been more stories, but the ones there were were great!
Victoria
Wilshire Boulevard is a poignant story
Jenebib
Jenebib marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
༄ཤུག་ལོ་
༄ཤུག་ལོ་ marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Bird Watcher
Bird Watcher marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Joyce Handley
Joyce Handley marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Selena
Selena marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Rosalia Boyle
Rosalia Boyle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Jade Herrera
Jade Herrera marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Priya Kamlesh
Priya Kamlesh marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hisaye Yamamoto (August 23, 1921 – January 30, 2011) was a Japanese American author. She is best known for the short story collection Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories, first published in 1988. Her work confronts issues of the Japanese immigrant experience in America, the disconnect between first and second generation immigrants, as well as the difficult role of women in society.

Hisaye Yamamot
More about Hisaye Yamamoto...
Seventeen Syllables and Other Stories The Brown House Yoneko's Earthquake: The Collected Short Stories Of Hisaya Yamamoto Charlie Chan Is Dead 2: At Home in the World (An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction--Revised and Updated)