Start by marking “The Rough Guide to Happiness 1” as Want to Read:
The Rough Guide to Happiness 1

The Rough Guide to Happiness 1

Don’t worry, be happy….find out how!

What is happiness? And how can we achieve it? The Rough Guide to Happiness is the ultimate ‘how to be happy’ handbook. Discover how to effectively improve your work/life balance, increase self-esteem, and nourish your mind and body while nurturing relationships with the ones you love. The Rough Guide to Happiness will help you navigate y
Published March 30th 2009 by Rough Guides (first published March 24th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Rough Guide to Happiness 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rough Guide to Happiness 1

Michael
Nov 23, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Uncommonly refreshing! A healthy skepticism guides this book's survey of happiness across varied fields of thought. Skepticism, however, is not its defining attribute; hope and energy pervade these pages. Very highly recommended!
Heather
Nov 05, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Josh
Recommended to Heather by: LibraryThing
Rough Guides are great because they cover so much information. They are quite comprehensive in each subject. This book was no exception. It is a great place to begin exploring the topic. I learned from this book that there are an almost infinite amount of factors that contribute to happiness, and that happiness is complicated due to human nature.

"Happiness" is much harder to define than you might think. Dr. Baylis begins by defining "happiness" for the purposes of this book: "Happiness is [...:]
Sep 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Let's be frank... I reserved this eBook to have something on my iPhone against the ghastly risk of Finding Myself Without a Book and I then a) didn't Find Myself Without a Book and b) the format of this particular volume didn't seem to work readably on my phone. Thus I found myself with a potential challenge - read the thing in the 2 hours before it expired, or let it go (as I had always told myself was an acceptable option)

I went for the 'read it inside 2 hours' option and don't feel this did
Derek Baldwin
Nov 18, 2013 Derek Baldwin rated it it was ok
I skimmed through this and found it very simplistic and anodyne. It's possible that if you know diddly squat about psychology you might find some of this material interesting, and enlightening, but apart from a fairly well-informed section on CBT/positive psychology (rightly criticising the many corners of the psyche which these therapies choose to ignore) I found it of no help at all. Thankfully a library book as I would have been very cheesed off to pay good money for this. The section on ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
May 31, 2010 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it did not like it
When I saw this book, I have to be honest, I didn't read the description. I just saw the title and thought I would love to know more about it. As I was reading it, I was happy to read it, but bored to death too.
The book is small, but don't let that fool you. It has mounds of useful information on the subject of happiness, it's just given to the reader in textbook format. I felt like it was the early '90's and I was back in highschool. Not fun!
I'm happy to be unhappy with this particular book, th
Mark
Dec 16, 2014 Mark marked it as gave-up
Read: 18 May-. Finished most of this. Free from LibraryThing via their monthly publisher review copy program.
Heather
Jul 18, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Thus far twaddle but I'll give it more of a chance... After finishing I can't really take anyone who says reading doesn't make you happy seriously.
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Fiona
Fiona rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2009
Maja
Maja rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Hassan
Hassan rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Noura Higo
Noura Higo rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Jason R.
Jason R. rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Natalia Hule
Natalia Hule rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Jay Gatsby
Jay Gatsby rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Shivam Dixit
Shivam Dixit rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2015
anita
anita marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2009
Athelia
Athelia marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2010
Kandace
Kandace marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2010
Viki
Viki marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2011
Stacy
Stacy added it
Jul 26, 2011
Louisa
Louisa added it
Jul 30, 2011
vidy
vidy marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2011
Karis
Karis marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2012
Glenn
Glenn added it
Sep 02, 2014
Reshma
Reshma marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Zeinab
Zeinab marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Jessica Oryall
Jessica Oryall is currently reading it
May 15, 2013
Stuart Ratcliff
Stuart Ratcliff marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Elham Ibrahim
Elham Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Jessica Martinez
Jessica Martinez marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Francesca Miele-Paterson
Francesca Miele-Paterson is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Jessica Melendez
Jessica Melendez marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015