Start by marking “Revolution in a Bottle: From Worm Poop to a Garbage Empire That Is Redefining Green Business” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The amazing story of what Inc. calls "The coolest little startup in America."

While a freshman at Princeton, Tom Szaky co- founded a company that recycles garbage into worm poop, liquefies it, then packages it in used soda bottles, creating TerraCycle Plant Food. Five years later, this all-natural, highly effective fertilizer is available in every Home Depot, Target,Wal?Ma
Published February 18th 2009 by Portfolio Trade (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution in a Bottle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution in a Bottle

Camille Mccarthy
So amazing! I can't believe I will get to meet these people soon. This book was not only informative about the company, it was also inspiring, funny, and well-written. I learned so much about compost and waste, and it made me even more excited to work in this field. It goes to show that if you have a great idea and you are willing to give everything you have to make it work, the rest of the universe may very well arrange itself to meet your needs. It is also amazing how the business model manag ...more
This book started out VERY entertaining, but then got to be just a book about the company. Still a good book that was worth reading. I enjoyed the story of Terra-Cycle and the trials it went through to become the biggest eco-company out there. There were many times it seemed the fates were just on their side -- just when it was getting dark, someone or something would step in and save the day. It made me appreciate the company even more.
It was an easy read, although a little weird/ gross to read about worm poop. Definitely a good insight into how his business came into existence but definitely not a business guide/ educational resource by any means. He can attribute a lot of his success to luck and perseverance. I'd recommend for those into environmentalism.
Recommended by CGT (and MS)

Read the Full Review

$0.01 Used on Amazon <—awesome

There is a disclaimer to be made here. I didn’t really have high hopes for this book. My roommate plopped it on my lap 3 days ago and said, “Try this. It’s pretty good, and my boyfriend and I read it each in a day, so its fast.”

Perhaps she didn’t want to oversell it. If so, she did a remarkable job. I only started it because I was bored and couldn’t motivate myself to go to the gym. What shocked me when I did start r
cool book.

it wasn't the best written book i've ever read... the author repeats himself a lot and the final chapters are kind of randomly placed there in a strange self-promotional way.

but i gave it 4 stars because i found it so interesting. it's a story of an awesome company with a great philosophy and the author doesn't sugar-coat any of their beginnings.

and at only 180 pages, it's an easy read, so give it a shot.
Hani Eskander
A very inspiring story - "Waste is simply any commodity that we are willing to pay to get rid of. It is the only commodity in the world that has true negative value. Waste exits partly because of economics, because in many cases it is cheaper to throw out something than to reuse it or properly recycle it, and companies have yet to be required to maintain responsibility for the entire life cycle of their products"
This book gives hope to anyone concerned with our wasteful culture. It's not a difficult read, but conveys the excitement (terror?) of starting a business very well in ordinary prose. It's amazing what determination, imagination and a couple of good friends can do. I kept shaking my head in wonder at how young he was and is, to have accomplished this.
Colleen H.
This wasn't a literary work of art, but it was still a great book. Kudos to the author for his vision for TerraCycle. The human race would be in a much better position if we all adopted the philosophy that is discussed in the book......that there is really no such thing as trash and everything can be made into something else.
The writing was quite repetitive and rudimentary, but Szaky is clearly enthusiastic about telling his tale which helps move it along. Definitely an interesting story and fun to learn about the company my sister is working for. Also got me thinking critically about my personal waste stream.
Tyler Fugazzie
This is a great startup story. Szaky is a very intelligent man and an entrepreneurial hero. TerraCycle is one of the most interesting companies around. It's one of the very few companies to figure out a win-win-win situation that helps the environment, consumers, and businesses alike.
If nothing less, this book will have you thinking a bit more about the waste that you go through. Well, if you give a damn anyway. Enjoyed the run down of the development of the company and how the major theme of re-use mostly was born from necessity.
How the greenest business in the world was built on worm poop. Take waste and turn it into something useful. From old wine barrels and circuit boards to snack and drink wrappers, Szaky converts them all into new products.
Love this book. It shows how a guy reuse the bottles for his worm poop business. Great idea on forming brigdes where any organizations can earn money by sending him empty plastic pop bottles.
Inspiring book about ecocapitalism, which I'm really into at the moment.
Tom is a much better speaker than this book turned out.
Mohammed marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Tori marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Alisha Shipley
Alisha Shipley marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Mackenzie Hizon
Mackenzie Hizon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Lavinia Elysia
Lavinia Elysia marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Selejan Alexandru
Selejan Alexandru marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rosie49 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Ana marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Michael Maguire
Michael Maguire marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Outsmart Waste: The Modern Idea of Garbage and How to Think Our Way Out of It Revolution in a Bottle: How Terracycle Is Eliminating the Idea of Waste Make Garbage Great: The Terracycle Family Guide to a Zero-Waste Lifestyle

“The idea of finding value in what people are willing to pay to get rid of it one of the fundamental backbones of ecocapitalism, as I think of it now.” 3 likes
“In looking at waste as an entirely modern, man-made idea, I stopped viewing garbage as garbage and instead slowly started to see it as a commodity.” 2 likes