Start by marking “On the List: Fixing America's Failing Organ Transplant System” as Want to Read:
On the List: Fixing America's Failing Organ Transplant System

On the List: Fixing America's Failing Organ Transplant System

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Two families came together in the waiting room of a Denver hospital on May 11, 2004, to await kidney transplants for loved ones. In the first operation, Gregg Farber, 32, a real estate executive, donated a kidney to his father, Steve, a 60-year-old Denver lawyer and power broker. In the second, Guatemalan refugee and landscaper Ernesto Delaroca, also 32, donated a kidney t ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about On the List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the List

Sophia
On the list: fixing America's failing organ transplant system is part medical memoir and part outline of the massive shortage in organs available for transplantation. It's hard to keep in mind that this is written by two authors since most of the book is in the voice of the first author, Steve Farber, who frames the book in terms of the personal experiences of the peasant and power broker, two people who happened to undergo surgery on the same day.

When Farber, a wealthy lawyer and political fund
Sigrid Fry-Revere
Again a book in my field and non-fiction. I just can't help it. I like non-fiction. This was an extremely well written account of the issues (both sides) involved in the organ shortage debate. It also helps me like the book that his solution is based on a paper I commissioned Dr. Matas to write and that I helped edit. My ideas have evolved since then, but Mr. Farber's analysis of the issues is spot on.
Christinia
An interesting book about the inefficiencies of our current transplant system and the turmoil that being on the list exerts on one's family. Steve Farber seems a bit conceited about his importance throughout the book but I am inclined to believe he speaks so highly of himself to emphasize the differences in health care options between the haves and have-nots.
Amy
OK, I read this because the power broker protagonist also founded the law firm where I work. The book is funny and profound. The topic is timely because health care is a hot button issue at the moment, when really, it should be at the forefront always. Good read.
Jen
I volunteer for the American Transplant Foundation, which was started by Steve Farber, author of this book. It's a wonderful organization, and the book demonstrates the flaws in our organ transplant system very well.
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 08, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Maggie
Maggie is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jan 05, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2012
Krysia DeVoe
Krysia DeVoe marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2011
Becky Bernstein
Becky Bernstein marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2011
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2011
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2010
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2009
The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership Greater Than Yourself: The Ultimate Lesson of True Leadership The Radical Leap Re-Energized: Doing What You Love in the Service of People Who Love What You Do The Radical Edge: Stoke Your Business, Amp Your Life, and Change the World The Radical Leap Re-Energized: Doing What You Love in the Service of People Who Love What You Do