Tail Spin (FBI Thrillers, #12)

Tail Spin (FBI Thriller #12)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  5,187 ratings  ·  340 reviews

Published July 7th 2009 by Jove (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tail Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tail Spin

Anna
I want you to read this book.

No, seriously. Read this book.

And whenever they refer to Rachael's braid, hear my voice saying, "What the fuck is UP with the stupid braid?!" They mention it so much that I wonder if that is actually a signal to men that you're attractive. Is that what a braid does? Because all I remember about Rachael is that she has a stupid braid that EVERYONE looks at.

Supposedly it's sexy. I'm trying to figure out what the hell a sexy braid looks like and how a male character, w...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
An intense and gritty story of pride and downfall. The latest in Catherine Coulter's FBI series, "TailSpin" is two stories told at once. A shrink to the 'Washington movers and shakers' is struck with an illness that results in him blurting out his clients secrets. Apparently one of them has decided the doctor's death is the best solution. Special Agent Jackson Crowne is flying the doctor to safety when their small plane goes down in a remote area of Kentucky. Their female savior is a woman runni...more
Leanna
Catherine Coulter’s TailSpin brings back Special Agents Savich and Sherlock, regulars in Coutler’s FBI Thriller series. This time, they are investigating two crimes. Dr. MacLean is a well-known psychiatrist; Rachael Abbott is a former senator’s lovechild. Both are being targeted by assassins, though apparently not the same ones.

I’ve enjoyed Coulter’s series in the past, and I love an occasional brainless read. This time, though, I was not wrapped up in the story. Instead, I was constantly irrita...more
Sue
More of a romance then a mystery - very cliched, since I bought it (the premise was very interesting), I thought I had better read it but had to force myself to do it. The entire plot was unbelievable once I started reading it! Very disappointing!
Jodi
Despite the excellent (though occassionally over-emoted reading by the male reader) multi-voice reading that was nearly seamless in its production, the absurd plot dragged it down. I read The Maze, book 1 in this series, many years ago. Liked it but didn't feel the need to continue. Nevertheless, I remembered Agents Sherlock and Savich and it was nice to read about them again. That was the only redeeming quality of the book. It wasn't that Rachel and Jack were a bad pair, it's just that they did...more
Jen
Was definitely disappointed in this one. I've always enjoyed her books in the past, and especially the characters of Sherlock and Savich, but this one...the story wasn't very good and dragged out a lot. It almost seemed like she had a 400 page requirement she had to reach? I did finish it, primarily because I wanted to see what happened, but the ending wasn't very good, the characters didn't draw me in and the overall story wasn't very good.

Not sure I'll be reading more of hers...
Melissa
I used to love her books, but I thought this was just horrible. I had to keep rereading certain paragraphs because she just threw thoughts in that made no sense to the storyline.
Valerie
I started this book but just couldn't get into it. I really don't like the way Coulter writes. The dialogue just doesn't flow, and the characters say absurb things.
Terry Odell
Bonnie
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! I love all of these FBI thrillers, and I wasn't disappointed with the latest installment. Though, in reading it I did realize that I've forgotten some of the older storylines- I think I'll have to re-check some of them out when I'm looking for a good book and have an empty good-reads list!
Beth
It was an okay read. Her story lines are good, the characters are good, but the dialogue isn't natural and some of her details are incorporated into the story in an awkward fashion at times. Her storytelling process could be smoother and more natural. (It's hard to explain.)
Robin
This author is a more recent favorite of mine. Her novels are fast-paced and very absorbing. This is only the second or third that I've read of hers, and I really like the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the other 9 or 10 in this series, and hopefully they're all as good!
Stacy
Apr 25, 2009 Stacy marked it as books-i-lost-interest-in  ·  review of another edition
David Ketelsen
Jun 19, 2012 David Ketelsen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non-critical romance fans
I received a free copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

Oddly enough I liked this book somewhat despite its faults. And it's got a lot of faults. The story line is full of holes, the characters are 2-dimensional, the book has a crime novel plot with romance novel interludes...but at least I didn't see any misspelled words.

The book starts off with a splash when the main character is tossed into a lake in a murder attempt. She manages to survive, pulls herself out of the water, apparently...more
LibraryLass
Absolutely solid 4.5 star Coulter book! Her last 2 outings in this series have left me somewhat flat. This one was great!
I love Sherlock and Savich and so it was awesome to have them be really involved in this book. This was very light on the romance side of things (the build up to 'love' between Jackson and Rachael was somewhat sporadic), but I never missed it (amazing for me as I usually HAVE to have romance in a book). This was a fast paced story that had me glued to the pages. The whole pre...more
Mary
More than a brainless read. I was put off by much of the dialogue between characters. It did not appear to be the way intelligent people would be talking to each other. I have enjoyed the characters of Savich and Sherlock in Coulter's previous books but Tailspin left me wondering about the author's ability to write for an adult audience. I can say that if this had been the first Sherlock and Savich book I read, I would be disinclined to read any more. Hopefully Coulter had a very tight deadline...more
Lorie
This actually would get about two and a half stars if possible. It's by far my least favorite of the FBI Thrillers. It seemed rushed and choppy, the story lines wrapped up much too neatly, and the dialogue seemed unnatural and stilted in places. The only reason I continued reading was because I like the long-standing characters (Savitch and Sherlock), but there wasn't really even any development there.
A disappointment over all. I hope the next one is back to Coulter's usual good standards, or I...more
Donna
While I enjoyed the characters, the story was a little far-fetched (this from someone who reads fantasy). However, when I read a contemporary novel, I expect it to be more realistic.
Jack Alexander
Good pace from beginning to end. The characters are a little thin, but the plot was twisted enough to keep it interesting.
Sherry
Jun 29, 2008 Sherry rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense/Mystery
Classic Coulter! A must read for Coulter fans on her FBI saga or anyone who enjoys suspense.
Debbie
Finding herself in the lake tied to concrete was scary enough but when Rachael Janes Abbott also witnessed the crash landing of Special Agent Jackson Crowne, she found herself stuck in the middle of two sets of assassination plots. Jack was taking long time family friend somewhere safe when the plane blew up under them. He was able to land, kind of, and get to safety with Rachaels help. The attempt on her own life left her not trusting anyone, but could she take a chance and trust this man that...more
Dotti Elrick
This is one of my favorite books of the series.
Special agent Jackson Crowne is flying a family friend home to Washington D.C. when a small explosion forces him to set the plane down in the only non mountainous area he can see. Jack and his passenger Timothy MacLean barely escape the wreckage before it blows up. Obviously someone has made yet another attempt on Dr. MacLeans life.
Timothy is a psychiatric who is suffering from a horrible form of dementia. It takes away all common sense and causes h...more
Ronna
With political intrigue, mystery, and a love story,this beach read raises 'light' suspense to a new level. Rachael has just saved herself from a drowning attempt, as she speeds to hide at her uncle's home in small Kentucky town.But on her way there, she witnesses a small plane crash landing amongst the mountains.She helps save the pilot, who is an FBI agent, and his passenger, a psychiatrist who treats the rich and famous in DC.

This sets up a rush to find out who is trying to kill these people...more
Thomas White
If you like Catherine Coulter you will like "Tailspin". It has all of the notable elements present in all of her work and she does not fail to deliver. That being said, this is the third or fourth novel of hers that I have read and I realize I am not a big fan. The convention of the desperately-in-love FBI partners with the adorable little boy just does not capture me the way I wish it would. Because of the certainty of this relationship she is forced to introduce alternate leading characters to...more
Diane
I won this book from Goodreads. I have enjoyed some other books of Catherine Coulter. Thou I have never read her FBI/thriller before I read her historical fictions. I do find her a good author and enjoy her books. So I looked forward to read this one.

TailSpin is about two agents that are brought in when a plane crashes in the Appalachian Mountains carrying a fellow agents and a passenger that he is protecting. They suspect that the plane was sabotaged to
keep this passenger quite. In the mean tim...more
Kaila
Overall predictable but not a terrible read. Generally, Coulter's books have enjoyable characters, clear plots and precise timing for lack of better phrasing. In this book, I felt that she was trying to tie too much information into the plot and as a result the book feels a little sloppy and rushed, not to mention that the characters are one dimensional. I am not a happy reader if I can't connect to the characters and the characters in this book just did not feel at all real to me. Dillion and L...more
Greg Bascom
TAILSPIN is a FBI thriller in Coulter’s series on the exploits of agents Savich and Sherlock who are husband and wife. On Monday morning, they are sent to investigate a mayday signal near Parlow Kentucky from another agent, Jackson Crowne, who is flying one Dr. MacLean in a signal engine plane. The doctor suffers from frontal lobe dementia, which weakens his restraint to blabber about the misdeeds of his famous patients, one of whom is trying to kill him. The FBI fears someone sabotaged the plan...more
Ns
I decided to read Tailspin for two main reasons. Catherine Coulter is a recently discovered author for me, and those few books by her I have read, for the most part I have enjoyed them. Up until now I have only read her historical/medieval novels and I was curious to see how her contemporary/suspense novels would fare. The second reason is even more simpler. My mood called for a suspenseful read, and often, my mood does dictate my reads.

Well, this novel fared well. Despite a different genre, the...more
Pattianne
Tailspin - FBI Thriller #12 - Savich and Sherlock - (Rachael Abbott and jackson Crown) - Rachael rescues Jackson from the wrechage of his Cessna. Savich and Sherlock hold her as a material witness (as she is running from something herself).

FBI Special Agent Jackson Crowne is flying his Cessna over the Appalachians, with a very important passenger: renowned psychiatrist Dr. Timothy MacLean; their destination is Washington, D.C. Upon their arrival, the FBI will protect the doctor - and ascertain j...more
A Full Bookshelf
Thank you to goodreads for this first reads win!

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Blurb: When a fellow agent's plane crashes deep in the Appalachian Mountains, married FBI agents Savich and Sherlock find the pilot and his passenger alive. But that's just the beginning of a case that plummets them into a whirlwind of vicious murder attempts, powerful suspects, political secrets, and escalating terror.

This was a suspenseful and action packed book! Not only does this story follow married FBI agents Savich an...more
SAFETY?? 2 10 Jun 23, 2013 08:36AM
Read by Theme: Tailspin by Catherine Coulter 1 8 Jan 03, 2013 09:45AM
  • Impulse
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #10)
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • Pursuit
  • The Mist (Ireland, #3)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)

“You know, a cell phone's like a guy; if you don't plug him in every night, charge him good, you got nothing at all.” 62 likes
“Get over it,' Sherlock said, and looked at her husband. 'No, no, bad dog, keep quiet.” 11 likes