Start by marking “Canterbury Tales” as Want to Read:
Canterbury Tales

Canterbury Tales

Lively, absorbing, often outrageously funny, Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales" is a work of genius, an undisputed classic that has held a special appeal for each generation of readers. "The Canterbury Tales" gather twenty-nine of literature's most enduring (and endearing) characters in a vivid group portrait that captures the full spectrum of medieval society, from the exal ...more
Published August 15th 1988 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Canterbury Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canterbury Tales

Marquise
I'd give this 3 stars for the decent and faithful to the original, but not quite that good, summed-up adaptation of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales by Barbara Cohen, but I award five stars to the stupendous illustrations by Hyman, even though they're not as many as I'd hoped, nor as grand as her work for other popular fairy tales. I suspect the book would've been better received if it had been more lavishly illustrated, because the artwork is rather sparse and doesn't seem to have been subject to ...more
Amy
Mar 17, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
a bit too wordy for the kids' attention span. clear, modern language makes Chaucer more readable today, but definitely meant for a more older audience than my 11, 8, and 6 year olds.
Ebookwormy1
Oct 02, 2013 Ebookwormy1 rated it liked it
Chaucer for children? That is why we purchased this book at the recommendation of our homeschool curriculum. This book contains four of the tales, with their prologues and introductory material. The stories are:
* The Nun's Priest's Tale
* The Pardoner's Tale
* The Wife of Bath's Tale
* The Franklin's Prologue

The idea of teaching these stories at the dialectic (junior high) level intrigued me. My (admittedly limited) exposure to Chaucer had inclined me to see his admirable writing as full of mature
♥Mary♦Sweet♣Dreams♠Are♥Made♦of♣This♠
This book is charming and will make a great addition to any library. Now, I don't recommend this particular book for easily influenced and emotional small children because of the mentality they had then about say... women, wife beating, rape, submission, domination, sex, food, and drink. Try explaining that to your children. The author retold the tales in a contemporary way to help readers enjoy the tales more than the actual language. Her purpose was also to motivate people to read the original ...more
Marie
Apr 05, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this rendition of some of the Canterbury tales. Of course, I read the original but it's good to see that they have a mini version for young readers to appreciate these great stories and advance to the original work in their near future. This author did a great job describing the characters through their conversational prologue at the beginning of each tale guiding herself with the character descriptions from the original source. She kept true to the stories with a more modern lan ...more
Andrea
Sep 29, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
If you have to read this, read the edition selected and translated by Barbara Cohen. It is true to the original, yet understandable. This book has only four of the tales: The Nun's Priest's tale, the Pardoner's tale, the Wife of Bath's tale and the Franklin's tale. Suitable for children, which can't be said for the original version.
Britnee Grantz
I chose this book because in High School I had to read the original book by Geoffrey Chaucer. Curious as to how the book had been created into a children's book. I thought the book was good however I thought the illustrations were to busy for young readers because I know I had a hard time focusing on the words rather than the pictures.
Katie
Dec 15, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
While I appreciate the fact that the author didn't want to dumb down these stories too much, I did find myself "editing" while reading aloud in a couple chapters. The spirit of the tales comes through clearly. The illustrations are beautiful.
Foundling
Jan 30, 2012 Foundling rated it really liked it
Trina Schart Hyman is one of my very favorite illustrators, and she does a wonderful job with the telling of some of the Canterbury Tales. This is well worth adding to your library!
Ellen
Feb 09, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: england
I love Trina Schart Hyman's illustrations, and they go perfectly with the four tales from Chaucer that Barbara Cohen chose to adapt. A good introduction to Chaucer!
Lee Anne
Oct 27, 2013 Lee Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, juvenile
Nicely done. Attractive artwork. Well rewritten, capturing the flavor & scholarship of the original while being readable for intermediates. Four tales only.
Linda
Jul 21, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
A nice introduction to a few of Chaucer's better-known tales. Appropriate for upper elementary and junior highers who are not quite ready for the original verse.
Candelaria Silva
Jan 25, 2016 Candelaria Silva rated it really liked it
Reading the Old English version in college was quite difficult but when I read the translation side-by-side, it opened up my understanding. I was surprised by how bawdy these tales were!
Lindalee Stahlman
Oct 09, 2009 Lindalee Stahlman rated it really liked it
I was in the SCA for a while. There was a weekend based on The Canterbury Tales. I was the only person who actually read them before the weekend.
Evelyn
Jul 06, 2013 Evelyn added it
I read a different edition with the Middle English. But this one sounds good. The tales are hilarious and deftly told in the original. Try them.
Julie
May 11, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-boys
This is the kid friendly version and we all loved it! The author picked the best ones and besides being entertaining/funny, they had some great messages.
Slow Man
Apr 05, 2014 Slow Man rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am a fan now, officially.
Doria
Dec 31, 2014 Doria rated it it was amazing
Great translation of Chaucer's Tales, stunningly illustrated by the gifted illustrator, Trina Schart Hyman.
Debrarian
Debrarian rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2010
Patrick Andrews
Patrick Andrews rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2009
Marie Stout
Marie Stout rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2013
Claudine Co
Claudine Co rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2009
roslyn kay sieh
roslyn kay sieh rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Cameron
Cameron rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2010
Brandice
Brandice rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Lester Garver
Lester Garver rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2007
Jennifer C.
Jennifer C. rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2009
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • Favorite Medieval Tales
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Clay Boy
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
  • Swan Lake
  • Who Were the Romans?
Barbara Cohen (1932-1992) was the author of several acclaimed picture books and novels for young readers, including The Carp in the Bathtub, Yussel's Prayer: A Yom Kippur Story, Thank You, Jackie Robinson, and King of the Seventh Grade.
More about Barbara Cohen...