Start by marking “Schoolhouse Brides: Teachers of Yesteryear Fulfill Dreams of Love in Four Novellas” as Want to Read:

The lives of four schoolmarms are complicated by unexpected encounters. Judith questions her calling when a widower and his troubled children enter her life. Marin offers her services as a schoolteacher and soon faces unforeseen challenges, including a less-than-desirable student. Christa gets off a train in a quaint mountain village only to find herself entangled in a web ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 483 pages
Published July 1st 2008 by Gale Cengage (first published November 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Schoolhouse Brides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schoolhouse Brides

Rochelle
Jun 17, 2016 Rochelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schoolhouse Brides

Dear Teacher by Wanda E. Brunstetter - 4 stars - I genuinely enjoyed this story. The H&H were both so admirably vulnerable that you just couldn't help rooting for them the whole time. I was in severe want of an epilogue at the end!

Prairie Schoolmarm by Joann A. Grote - 4 stars - I enjoyed reading about the Swedish families in this story, you don't often get to read about the entire family in most historical romances. It was a nice change of pace. Marin initial harsh reactio
The Bibliophage
My rating: 4.5

This is the second time that I read a Christian romance book and I am happy with the four novellas included here. This is how I can rank the novellas and why:
1. The Reluctant Schoolmarm
- This is the third novella in the book and I could definitely say that I love this story from start till the end. The unexpected situation that brought Grant and Christa together made it really special. It was like God made a joke in the beginning of their story but it ends happily.

2. Prairie School
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
Synopsis from amazon.com: The lives of four schoolmarms are complicated by unexpected encounters. Judith questions her calling when a widower and his troubled children enter her life. Marin offers her services as a schoolteacher and soon faces unforeseen challenges, including a less-than-desirable student. Christa gets off a train in a quaint mountain village only to find herself entangled in a web of deceit. A disillusioned Meredith moves to Last Chance, Idaho, and finds herself stuck in a plac ...more
Jeanne
Oct 10, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 4 in one book. 1. Dear Teacher is about school teacher Judith King who meets Ernie Snyder through his son and her student. 2. Prairie Schoolmarm is about Marin Nilsson a Swedish immigrant she becomes the local teacher and her neighbor Talif Siverson joins her class to improve his English skills and to be close to the teacher. 3. Reluctant Schoolmarm is about Christa Walsh who is mistaken for the school teacher who is thought to be on the train with her doctor fiancée, Grant Gordon. She reluct ...more
Amancay
Jan 05, 2011 Amancay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually ended up picking this one up... to read one night, as I'd left my current read outside in my car!

Never got my current read back inside, and plowed through this book over the next nights...

another one of those easy evening reads, that honestly had me at times with rising tears, a torn heart, and truly going to God with some stuffs... again, a moment where you know He has purposed the read for such a time as this.
Iris
Dec 31, 2009 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
4 in 1 novellas. This book reminded me of staying at my Grandmothers house. She used to give me Heartsong Presents books to read and I liked them. They aren't my favorite type of books, but since they remind me of my time with her I do love to pick them up now and then.
Carol
May 31, 2010 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to give one rating to a book of four novellas written by four separate authors. I particularly enjoyed the scandanavian story, Prarie Schoolmarm. It was interesting to see what was the same and what was different in four separate schools that existed around the same time.
Laura Radniecki
Sep 08, 2015 Laura Radniecki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I picked this book up because of the cute cover and the quaint subject matter.

I enjoyed the stories and the characters. It was fun to read what school was like in a one-room school house - so different from school as I know it.

Fun, quick reads.
Nikki
Apr 06, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complications abound as love is encountered by four young schoolmarms in bygone days. In Schoolhouse Brides, one-room schoolhouses by the Lehigh Canal, on the prairies of Minnesota, amid the Blue Ridge Mountains, and in frontier Idaho are the settings for heartwarming lessons in life and love.
Maria
Mar 16, 2009 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
my grandmother gave me this book, so, although leery, I was obligated. it turned out to be fun for me-I enjoyed comparing the novellas to each other. i wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to anyone, but it's fun (as i previously stated)...for whatever that's worth.
Emily Ross
4 very different novellas about frontier teachers. Sweet easy read.
Shunammite
Jan 29, 2011 Shunammite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different stories that teach you patience and trust in God. Taught me how to forgive fully and how to put others before me.
Jody
Dec 05, 2011 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stories of teachers who find love when they least expect it.
Barbara
Have not read
Deidre
Jul 06, 2011 Deidre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful collection of stories with a christian theme. Each one alone can be read in an hour or two & great for a "Pick me Up" or to put a smile on your face :o)
Shelaine Petersen
I enjoy books from this time period. It reminded me somewhat of the "Little House on the Prairie" books, but not nearly as good. It's not a book that I'd highly reccomend.
Shannon Clark
Oct 30, 2011 Shannon Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
I think I would have liked reading 1 long story better than the 4 short stories. It almost seemed like some of the stories just ended abruptly. I did enjoy it, though.
Deanne Patterson
In the first story the author dumbed the main character down and I just couldn't continue !
LauraP
Mar 10, 2016 LauraP rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the novellas. I was disappointed with the last story by Colleen REECE. She may have a good reputation, but there really wasn't any romance detail with the hereoine
Brenda Eichberg
Jun 04, 2013 Brenda Eichberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read - really enjoyed the short story (Dear Teacher). Wanda's books are a joy to read when one needs something to pick up one's spirit. Would recommend her books to anyone of any age.
Charity U
Apr 07, 2011 Charity U rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!
Abigail Mitchell
I liked the last story best!
Kristi
Jun 07, 2008 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book had 4 different books each by different authors. Two of the books were good, one was OK and the other i couldn't read it. Didn't draw me in.
Sandy
Jul 18, 2011 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas
cute short stories
Aerykah
Aerykah rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Nana
Nana rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2010
Gail Fogwell
Gail Fogwell rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Wilmi
Wilmi rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Monique
Monique rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2014
Ann Barnett
Ann Barnett rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Alabama
  • Kansas Home: Hearts Adrift Find a Place to Dwell in Four Romantic Stories
  • Virginia
  • Texas Charm: Love Is in the Air Around Houston (Texas Charm #1-4)
  • Oregon Brides
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • Colorado
  • New Mexico Sunrise: Faith and Love Hold Generations Together in Four Complete Novels
  • Arkansas: Four Brothers Risk Their Hearts for Love in the Ozarks
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
  • Brides O' the Emerald Isle
  • Blind Dates: Four Stories of Hearts United with a Little Help from Grandma
  • Sweet Home Alabama
  • New Hampshire Weddings (New Hampshire Wedding #1-3)
  • From Italy with Love: Motivated by Letters, Four Women Travel to Italian Cities and Find Love (From Italy with Love #1)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...