Start by marking “Valor's Trial (Confederation #4)” as Want to Read:
Valor's Trial (Confederation #4)

Valor's Trial (Confederation #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,246 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Unexpectedly pulled from battle, Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr of the Confederation Marines finds herself in an underground POW camp that shouldn't exist, where her fellow marine prisoners have lost all will to escape. Now, Torin must fight her way not only out of the prison, but also past the growing compulsion to lie down and give up-not realizing that her escape could alt ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by DAW (first published January 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Valor's Trial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valor's Trial

Jesi
It seems like "a strong female lead" is something that most writers are trying to give their audience these days, and yet, so many of them just manage to provide irritating, not-thinking, "even if it makes more sense to have the male lead to do this task, I'm going to do it, because I'm female and RAWR," Marysues. Huff delivers an ACTUAL strong female lead.

Kerr is a Marine. No two ways about it, in this character we enter the mind and spirit of what it means to be a Marine. Maybe my high school
Otherwyrld
There is a Star Trek Voyager episode called The Chute where some of the crew are trapped in an underground prison and are forced to survive their brutal environment and to find a way to escape.

There is a Stargate SG-1 episode called Prisoners where the team are trapped in an underground prison and are forced to survive their brutal environment and to find a way to escape.

There is a book called Valour's Trial where ... you get where this is going, I trust?

This was so thrilling I read it in one si
Mya
While this book blew me away, it's more like standing in the wave of a nuclear blast and watching everything blow away and I'm still standing by some unnatural stroke of luck. This book, which could be the last piece of the Confederation novels, isn't the weakest one but its not the strongest either. I am very much a fan of Book 1 & 2, but it was vital that for me to finish the whole series. Gunnery Sergeant Kerr is still badass, however and her feats in this book catapult her to legendary s ...more
Corry L.
I love this series. The main character is kick-ass and the world is wonderfully, solidly filtered through her eyes. And the world? How can you not love a military composed of humans, aliens obsessed with sex, and aliens that can (and will) eat pretty much anything? Huff's ability to make me laugh in the middle of otherwise serious scenarios is amazing.

This book was more serious than book 3 (I can't remember books 1-2 very well, but I think it's more serious than them, as well), but in a good wa
Michael
Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr is missing in action presumed dead, her entire company seemingly blasted into the ground so thoroughly all that remains is glassed earth. Her paramour, civilian salvage operator Craig Ryder and her family don't believe it for one second. Rodent reporter Presit smells a big story and encourages an investigation.
The fourth installment in the military sci-fi series is a little bit different from previous outings. The ongoing plastic aliens plot begun on the Big Yellow ex
Chuck
85 out of 100 for 2010

In some ways my favorite novel of this series. Two of the novels were about military training exercises, and one was about a discovery expedition, so this was the first novel in which the reader sees Gunny Torrin Kerr in action with a platoon. She is also taken prisoner of war and finds herself imprisoned with some of those she is fighting against, only to discover there is a third side to the war that humankind has been embroiled in for centuries.

Although the reviewers of
Blodeuedd Finland
I have been waiting for this book ever since I read book 1 (yes I read the blurbs for the rest of the books, I am too curious). Anyway, great premise so I waited.

It's starts with Torin getting ready for battle and then bam! (it takes a while for the bam but bear with me). So bam! Torin wakes up in a tunnel, she is now a POW. All while Craig refuses to believe she died in battle and tries to find her.

That was the premise I was interesting in. Torin in a POW camp, and not any POW camp. A weird und
Jacey
Continuing on from events in 'The Heart of Valor' in this book Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr, rough, tough marine, is sent into battle with her unit, only to be pinned down by artillery fire. After a blinding flash she wakes up in an underground prison camp with no apparent guards except for the formidable nature of the place itself and the sedative drug in the only available food.

Torin’s lover Craig Ryder, a civilian salvage operator, is still trying to discover the truth of Torin's reported deat
Kim Luu
I reread this recently and enjoyed just as much as the first time. This is the final in the series about Sergeant Torin Kerr and her adventures in the Space Marines.

I would recommend that you read the first three books before picking up this one.

I love how professional Torin is. She is a Marine's Marine with kick butt abilities and no nonsense attitude but she's also feminine without being girly. She rivals Honor Harrington as one of my favorite heroines. In this book, Torin was taken as a pri
I bought and read this book accidentally. I don't mean the novel somehow slipped into my shopping cart at Barnes and Noble; I mean after I started reading it, I discovered I already own it and have already read it. I was disappointed; I thought I'd found a new Confederation novel.

I love the aliens in this universe. The deTraykien (sp?) provide comic relief with their innuendo (I'm sure there are many deTraykien jokes about the word innuendo alone). The characters are distinctive. The main charac
Carolyn F.
Fantastic book! Torin is sent to a battle and awakens in a cave prison where some of the Marines have turned evil. She kills the baddies and tries to bring back some order back, joining with two other groups of Marines. She finds out this isn't an Others prison when they run into a group of Others who are also prisoners. Now she's going to try to find a way for them to escape.

The ending was bittersweet, some good things and a lot of horrible things happened. Also a realization that (view spoile
Online Eccentric Librarian
I have really enjoyed all of the Valor books. This fourth book is just as good as the previous - proving that everyone is expendable, Torin is always going to get the short end of the stick, and never count the Gunnery Sergeant as dead until you see her body. The conclusion of this novel closes the story arc that began with the second novel dealing with the plastic alien life form. Fortunately, it is not the last book in the series.

Story: Torin is fighting a battle with her squad when her compan
Heather
Valor’s Trial is the fourth novel from Tanya Huff’s Confederation series. I read book five, The Truth of Valor, first and had to go back and read the entire series.

Valor’s Trial is a slower book than its predecessors with less initial complexity and thus fewer twists and turns. It has enough depth to its story of prisoners of war that it neatly deals with tropes (such as the bully who’s taken over one group of beaten-down marines) by layering on additional groups of prisoners with entirely diffe
Kim Aippersbach
More love for Torin Kerr. Tanya Huff knows how to write gut-punching, fist pumping scenes. This prison-escape adventure has more intense action than the previous books (how is that even possible!) but also more character development, more emotion. Torin is more conflicted than she's ever been, but she does what she has to to Get Us Out Alive—she may be wrong but she's never in doubt.

Craig Ryder gets more screentime and I really like this guy; furry reporter is still annoying but really growing o
June
Sep 09, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi buffs
Recommended to June by: Lisa
Strong female character, plus some things to think about. None of my libraries have the preceeding books in their system so I guess I will use birthday money to buy them from Amazon.

Reread to refresh my mind before starting the 5th. Torin finds herself in an enemy POW camp. Of course her job is to escape.
Jenny
i don't like the fact that the characters i like die, yet, it's reasonable to the story. serious, she's locked in a prison. more of that military hierarchy. not a happy - everyone lives happily ever after. again asks the questions, are lives sacrificed worth it?
Joshua Zucker
Liked it, enjoyed it, and it was a good prison escape story. A lousy mystery (the answer was obvious, and a foe with essentially limitless power is not interesting, and the attempts at allying with it are going to be stupid), and the ending was yet another deus ex machina.

The characters are still not very thoroughly developed -- the morality is very black and white sometimes, and the hero worship is rather overdone.

Still, the action is pretty good and the alien races are interesting. This one wa
Keith
Well, that was a disappointing and unbelievable ending. At least the female MC remained strong throughout the series.
Michelle
Another great installment in the Condederation series. The game totally changes in this book and not surprisingly, Gunnery Sargent Torin Kerr is pretty fed up with all the shenanigans. It was a very different look at her character but still full of all the snarky quips and heroics you come to expect from a bunch of tough space Marines. I'm super curious to see what Tanya Huff has in store for Torin's last adventure.

My only complaint was that we didn't get enough of Torin and Craig together in th
Kathy
Wow... Torin is in serious trouble... reunited with her unit, confronting the 'Others', there is a flash & she wakes up in a cave... found by Kyster, a Krai with a wounded foot, she finds she is in a POW type camp underground, that there are about 100 other (human, Krai, di"Taykan) marines... and that a dozen of them are terrorizing the other marines, controlling the food, and killing/stealing from anyone new transported in...

Torin, in gunnery sargeant style, takes control, killing the 2 rin
Timothy
I definitely enjoy this series and was excited to start this one, especially after the last book (Grim Reaper End of Days. This was a book I picked up during the Borders closing sale. I miss Borders. Barnes and Noble is okay, but I always found something I really wanted to read whenever I went into a Borders. This book continues the arc of the last three books and was a fun read. I think the first story in the series is my favorite, but the story really gains depth in the second book. I really l ...more
CJ - let me hold both your hands in the holes of my sweater
Very rarely do I give a book five stars but the fourth book in the Valor/Confederation series deserves it.

Torin is very much the gunnery sarge in this book but she's also more of a woman bringing together the two pieces of her personality and allowing her to survive another heinous mission that should have been routine.

Craig is in here - he's grown on me- as well as some favorites like Ressk and Mashone (sp?) but as always we get to meet some new characters that you get attached to which makes t
David
Hali Sowle
The 4th book in the Confederation Series did not disappoint, Gunnery Sargent Torin Kerr is back in action with her original squad hoping to put "Big Yellow" - the polynumerous, polymorphic organic plastic alien, and the Silviss behind her. But the routine of the squadron and the war is short lived when suddenly she wakes up in a cave after a brief but brutal battle on a planet being attacked by the "others", and now Torin is front and center of another type of war. Meanwhile Craig and her family ...more
Datura
So I didn't really like the imprisonment scenario at first, but when the action got going I was instantly sucked in.

I'm kind of sad my suspicions re: the Elder Races didn't pan out, although everything about BY was satisfying in a terrifying way.

I loved the Primacy races. And Kyster. I want to give him hugs forever.
Andreas
The fourth Confederation novel has Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr being taken prisoner, and waking up in a very odd prison. Against insurmountable odds, she leads a band of Marines (and eventually others) towards escape.

This is the best one so far. Huff’s skill at describing the interpersonal relationships between the many varied characters shines throughout the novel. The dry humor and spot-on characterizations make this a pleasure to read. Also, despite the plot being cookie cutter on paper, it h
John
A little too much effort and suffering for too little result, I thought---the whole "prison" setup just struck me as a gratuitous McGuffin rather than a logically designed experiment. And, the question about whether the creeping loss of motivation to escape was due to psychology or "outside" motivation is never really settled. The main storyline does take a few big steps forward, though. B.
Joy
Back in battle after recovering from her injuries in book #3, the Marines believe Gunnery Sgt. Torin Kerr has been killed in battle. Her father and her lover, Civilian Salvage Operator Craig Ryder, nevertheless refuse to believe it. Turns out they're right--Torin and other Confederation servicemembers are being held prisoner somewhere under the surface of a geologically unstable planet. Can Torin defeat the corrupt and abusive structure in place and engineer an escape? And since the Others don't ...more
Fayley
Perfect heroic god-like heroine taken to a ridiculous degree. But not bad if that doesn't bother you. Ground level SF military done fairly well.
Donna
One of the things I love about this excellent series is that once I start a book, I can't put it down. I read this one in one sitting--a great way to spend a Sunday. Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr is one of my favorite SciFi heroines and is definitely the most bad-ass of them. She is again thrown into a situation where she has to take charge, try to get her people out alive and try to figure out what is really going on. This seemed like a wrap up to the series and it ended nicely but I was hoping t ...more
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Crossing the Line (Wess'har Wars, #2)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
1967
"Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia: Although I haven't actually lived "down east" since just before my fourth birthday, I still consider myself a Maritimer. I think it's something to do with being born in sight of the ocean. Or possibly with the fact that almost no one admits to being from Ontario…

Raised, for the most part, in Kingston, Ontario. It was the late sixties, early to mid seventies. Enough s
More about Tanya Huff...
Blood Price (Vicki Nelson, #1) Blood Trail (Vicki Nelson, #2) Valor's Choice (Confederation #1) Blood Lines (Vicki Nelson, #3) Summon the Keeper (Keeper Chronicles #1)