Start by marking “Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers, #2)

Thunderbird Falls (Walker Papers #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  5,907 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
The sequel to 2005's Urban Shaman pits beat cop and reluctant shaman Joanne Walker (real name Siobhan Walkingstick) against her deadliest foe yet: an ancient serpentine spirit bent on crossing over into modern-day Seattle -- not to order an iced mocha latte from Starbucks but to take over the world!

Just a few months after meeting the Native American trickster god Coyote a
Published May 19th 2009 by Luna (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Thunderbird Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunderbird Falls

Chichipio
Aug 14, 2011 Chichipio rated it did not like it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Murphy tried to write one of those stories where nothing is as it seems, and then a big revelation at the end changes everything. She failed. Hard.

Imagine watching The sixth sense with Bruce Willis's character looking like Casper the friendly ghost; or if you still want him to be Bruce Willis instead of some cheap CGI, how about trying to picture him walking through solid objects and winking in and out of view in the middle of a scene without any of the characters acknowledging the oddity of nor
CD
Dec 27, 2008 CD rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Tracy
Mar 12, 2011 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Joanne Walker, aka Siobhan Walkingstick, is back in the second installment of The Walker Papers. Unfortunately, the force of her personality and the awesome cast of secondary characters introduced in Urban Shaman and back in this installment isn't quite enough to put Thunderbird Falls on my "must not be missed" list.

There's good stuff here, most significantly the growing emotional tension between Joanne and Captain Michael Morrison. I swear, I just love every second they're in each others' compa
Seth
Dec 03, 2007 Seth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
Again, a whole stack of friends are telling me to read this series. I tell them to read or see all sorts of crap, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This was a definite drop back from the pretty-good first book (Urban Shaman). Our heroine, forced in the first book into awakening latent shamanic powers and now trying not to use them, is told to find a teacher as well as to fix the large climate shift she generated in the first book. Meanwhile, there will be at least one mystery for her t
Shera (Book Whispers)
“Let me guess.” Was pretty much the only thoughts I had while reading Thunderbird Falls. OK, clearly not the only thoughts. But they were pretty much on replay the whole way through. Lot's of readers complained about how much Jo pisses and moans about her new powers. Which I'll talk about. My main complaint was how terribly predictable this book was.

Each new character, plot point, or anything introduced was so glaringly obvious I had this mental image of myself beating my head against a school
Carol.
I'm continuing to struggle with reading this book. The main character is so flawed, I find it hard to be sympathetic to her, although it could be because her character is inconsistent. At one moment, she is wanting to use her power to heal, at another supposedly afraid to acknowledge it exists. If she is scared of it/ refuses to acknowledge it, why does she keep doing things like looking in the spirit realm for someone who recently died? It's also surprising that instead of believing her teache ...more
Veronica
This is the second book in the Walker Papers series and it finds our heroine, Joanne, a few months out from the events of the first book. With the adrenaline of those events having worn off, Joanne has become more reluctant to use her shamanic abilities and to take on the responsibilities that go with it. As a result, she goes about tripping through a series of mistakes and errors in judgement in this installment. It turns out that the amount of power Joanne used in book one was not without cons ...more
Holly Booms Walsh
Although I like this main character for a lot of reasons, C.E. Murphy's descriptions of the magic Joanne does leaves me feeling confused and unsatisfied. It's a lot of talk about energy and fire and force, and I never get what happened after the big scene is done. This is the second book of hers I've read and I think I'll pass on the rest of the series. The Joanne, Morrison, and Gary characters are so strong that I feel very sad to leave them behind.

ETA in 2016 - well, I kept with the series. I
Lokki
Jul 13, 2014 Lokki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thunderbird Falls is the second book in the Walker Papers series. It picks up a few months after the momentous events of the first novel and we find Joanna, on the job, walking the beat and trying to use her magic as little as possible. Seattle, after have a long, cold winter, is in the midst of an extraordinary heatwave. When Joanna finds a dead girl in the shower at her the university gym, she goes on an astral 'walk' to see if she can find some answers. Instead, what she finds is a new teache ...more
Lady Jaye
I rated this a 3 stars because I felt it was much better written than the first one, and I liked it better. What kept me from liking it even more is that better writing notwithstanding, many of the same problems from the first book plague this one too.

The biggest problem is Joanne herself. In beginners' Spanish class, we learned a phrase: cabeza dura. Joanne tiene cabeza dura. That's the only explanation for how someone can be so dense, so incredibly stupid (her words, not mine. I just happen t
Marsha
Feb 20, 2011 Marsha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
Thunderbird Falls is a good story with poor execution. In this installment, Joanne Walker has to face her ambivalence with her new Shaman powers. She has not been studying her craft and her spirit guide, Coyote goes silent. However, a new guide, Judy shows up and begins teaching her how to use her power. While all of this occurs, her friend Gary the cabbie has a heart attack and is in the hospital trying to recover.
After finding a dead girl,Cassandra in a locker room shower Jo attemtps to disc
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook. I also read the library paperback. I'm not liking this book as much as the first time, but I think that was because of the change in narrators. The first narrator was okay but this one made every man sound so marble-mouthed, slow talking, it was a little ridiculous. And speaking of ridiculous, I'm not exaggerating when I say that Joanne woke every morning after passing out and not knowing where she is. Every morning. Passing out is bad, so I'm thinking brain damage and not ...more
Douglas Meeks
Mar 03, 2012 Douglas Meeks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well finally finished Thunderbird Falls (The Walker Papers, Book 2) and I will have to say by the end of the book I would give it a solid 4 Star rank, it continues the story of Joanne Walker and her coming to grips with her Shaman powers, this series is one where you have to grow with the heroine and at times its a bit frustrating for readers like me who want to just point a finger and all bad guys blow up. not gonna happen here but she gets a bit smarter (unlike Rachael in the Hollows) with eac ...more
The Flooze
This installment of The Walker Papers was more confusing than the first. But I still enjoyed the cast of characters and the overall storyline. I felt that the writing could have been tighter, but with the amount of time Joanne spends in the Spirit World, many events are understandably abstract. Murphy draws heavily on the nature of Faith and of expectations and their impact on the world, making this a more heady and serious tale than Urban Shaman. But part of that somber feel comes from the fact ...more
Alyssa Ricks
I like Joanne, even though she's just as likely to destroy the world while she tries to save it. She's an interesting character and we get to find out a little more about her as we go. I'm interested to see how things progress with Morrison and love her relationship with Gary.

While I thought I must have missed a book between this and the first of the series, I eventually remembered what she was talking about and bought the third installment in the series as soon as I finished this one.

UPDATE:
S
Misa
Actual rating: 3.2 stars out of 5.

So.... The first book showed a bunch of promises. Jo seemed pretty smart (or towards becoming smart), stubborn as hell and a badass in creation. The bickering between her and Michael was super funny.
At the end of the first book I thought "hell, we might have a good series here!". I almost did a crazy dance and dived to the second book.

Boy, was I disappointed with this one.... Jo was dumb as a door. Everything bad that happened was because of her. Because she was
Anita
Second in this series about a Seattle-based female cop with newly awoken shamanic powers. Most of the story takes place in a dreamscape where she learns to use her powers. The rest of the story takes place during a heat wave in Seattle and involves a witches' coven and her friend Gary having a heart attack. Unfortunately, Joanne has been neglecting her shamanic studies for many months, so now that she needs them, she's on a crash course that nearly kills her. She makes a few horrible decisions a ...more
Don Ferguson
Mar 17, 2013 Don Ferguson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Urban Shaman a lot and added more of the series to my wish list right after I finished it. The second book still had some of the sense of humor that I liked from the first book, but the story was just a wreck. The author gave the zinger away at the very beginning of the book, so you spend the whole time wanting to scream “NO!” at the characters when they are following blind leads and trying to figure out what, to the reader, is a non-mystery.

On top of that the story was just too dumb.
Bonnie Jennings
Jun 11, 2016 Bonnie Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly
May 12, 2008 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not all that interested in shamanism. I'm not all that into druids, either. Good old fashioned sorcery is more my taste.

Most of the characters were irritating, and more than once I sort of sighed and set the book aside. There are a lot of passages that just seem to ramble on. I find the author has a tendency to get a little too caught up in her own mysticism.

Ah well. I['m still interested in the whole Morrison relationship, and will read the final book o
Claire
Jul 10, 2007 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first met Jo Walker in October during a roadtrip to a wedding in Georgia. My second meeting occurred during a cubicle-stress-induced retail therapy session at the local B&N. Each time I meet her, I like her more and more.

Jo Walker was a mechanic for the police department. After an odd set of events in "Shaman Dreams," she is replaced in the mechanic pool and put on beat by her boss. In "Thunderbird Falls," she learns a bit more about her current direction, her loved ones, and ultimately wh
Christine Rains
Not as good as the first book. The misleading narration didn't work as it should and I was left unsatisfied with the story. I still like the concept, and since I have the next book in the series here with me from the library, I'm going to read it. Coyote is much more entertaining than a serpent!
Krista D.
It was a struggle for me to finish this one. My biggest problem is that I actually like the characters, but I don't like the story plots.
Amber
Mar 25, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kindle
Kathy Davie
Second in the Walker Papers urban fantasy series and revolving around Joanne Walker, a.k.a., Siobhán Walkingstick. Based in Seattle, it's been six months since Urban Shaman , 1.

My Take
Even though Murphy uses the oh, no, I don't really want this power and the if I ignore it, it won't be true tropes, Murphy brings in enough twist to it that I'm enjoying this. We do finally learn that, yes, Jo is a cop. We finally get the low-down on which role Jo actually plays: she was a mechanic for the cops a
Angela
Mar 26, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novels On The Run
BOOK REVIEW by Michelle 28th May 2014:

RATING: 3.75 THOR STARS!

Where do I start with Thunderbird Falls?

I did enjoy it.

I really liked Urban Shaman # 1 in this series. Sure, I got a bit lost in the mythology, but I waded through it. I loved the sub characters and I loved Joanne’s witty ways.

I think Joanne got a little dumbed down in this installment if I was to be perfectly honest. I still enjoyed the read, but I could see where everything was going and I kept raising my voice at my book, in hand.
Michelle  novelsontherun
BOOK REVIEW by Michelle 28th May 2014:

RATING: 3.75 THOR STARS!

Where do I start with Thunderbird Falls?

I did enjoy it.

Matt Mclaughlin
Meh.

I get the whole "responsibility is hard" thing, and that having her character be kind of weak and foolish allows for growth, but really. If you're suddenly recruited as the linchpin to do some huge crazy spell, its your responsibility to do your damn research first.
Bridgette Redman
Feb 01, 2012 Bridgette Redman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does faith and purity alone make one free from the necessity of judgment? In the battle of thinking and feeling, is there danger in doing too much of either?

Joanne Walker is a woman who thinks that she thinks too much. In the sport of mind games, she’s an all-star athlete. The reader is inclined to forgive her. A mechanic cum beat cop who thrives on cynical rationalism, she made the discovery that she is a shaman whose psychic powers are needed to save the world over and over. That she resists
  • Winter Moon
  • Curse the Dark (Retrievers, #2)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • The Grimrose Path (Trickster, #2)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Witch Craft (Nocturne City, #4)
  • Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3)
C.E. Murphy is a writer of fantasy novels and short stories. She also writes "action-adventure romance" novels under the pseudonym Cate Dermody, which was her grandmother's maiden name.
More about C.E. Murphy...

Walker Papers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • A Garrison Report: Magic Hath An Element
  • Coyote Dreams (Walker Papers, #3)
  • Rabbit Tricks (Walker Papers #3.5)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Demon Hunts (Walker Papers, #5)
  • Spirit Dances (Walker Papers, #6)
  • Forgotten but by a Few
  • Raven Calls (Walker Papers, #7)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)

“I told myself that, too. It turned out myself was a skeptical bitch and didn’t believe me.” 5 likes
“If you’re going to get technical, you’re going to lose all your friends.” 0 likes