Start by marking “Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)” as Want to Read:
Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)

Phantasm (Zoë Martinique #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Read Phaedra Weldon's posts on the Penguin Blog.

The newest in a series that's "part paranormal whodunit, part urban fantasy"(Publishers Weekly) by the author of Wraith and Spectre.

Just when Zoë Martinique, formerly ordinary twenty- something, was getting used to the idea that she was possessed of extraordinary powers, she lost them. Without cause or warning. And at the w
Published June 2nd 2009 by Ace Trade (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Phantasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phantasm

Darcy
Jan 29, 2010 Darcy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, uf
Zoe starts out this book dealing with the repercussions of Daniel finding out about her ability and not being able to handle it along with her mother's soul being stolen, and her best friend's betrayal. With things like this it seems like there is no place to go but up, unfortunately when that is your thinking you have doomed yourself to worse things happening.

Through the book Zoe is forced to face truths about herself, her heritage, her family, and her friends that change everything. She is co
Katy
Jul 23, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Book Info: Genre: Urban Fantasy Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received the final book in this series, as well as the omnibus containing several short stories in this series, from the author in exchange for an honest review. I am happy to review this earlier book in the series as well, as long as I’m reading it!

Synopsis: Just when Zoë Martinique, formerly ordinary twenty-something, was getting used to the idea that she was possessed of extraordinary powers, she lost them. Without cause or wa
These books...I honestly do not know what to think about them. Or why I keep reading them when they frustrate me so.

I had many of the same problems with this book as I had with the previous two in the series: scenes written in a confusing manner, characters I can't connect with, use of cutesy words in otherwise serious situations (sammiches, really?), etc. The author could also do a bit better job with the recaps of events from earlier books, because I'd read them and was still confused at certa
Shandra
I found this book to be a bit confusing, and I had read the first two! I guess it had been a while, though, as it took me a bit to remember how Zoe had gotten into her current predicament. I find Zoe likable, if a bit luckless, and she does have a relatively unique skill, compared to other urban fantasies. Still, all the demons run together after a while, so a little bit more of a recap would've helped me sort things out sooner! I miss her best friend, and hope they can patch things up (hope tha ...more
Jeanette
I honestly did not enjoy this book. I kept going hoping for something to click. The main character Zoe is horrible. I can't tell her age. She acts like a preteen with some cussing and "mommy" thrown in. Later in the book there is a remark about her being in her 20s! Wow, no way! I felt NO connection to any character in the book. The plot was so confusing that I couldn't at any point figure out what was happening.

Maybe someone else will feel a connection. So off to the resale shop the book goes.
Eugene Gorodinsky
After the Spectre this is disappointing. It feels like with every book the rules to which the setting adheres to are changed. Instead of picking up where the previous book left off and answering the questions that weren't answered in it, an entirely new plotline is conjured up with little to no glue to piece not just the books together but the universe itself. I'm dragging myself to finish this. Absolutely not what I was expecting after book 2.
Bullcityfats
Third in a series. Enjoyable, but a few problems; it follows immediately after its predecessor, in the same scene, so it's a little jarring if it's been a while since you've read the predecessor. Also, an urban fantasy, and it seems like they keep piling on boojums and snarks, so it gets a little tough to keep straight. Still, fairly enjoyable if it's the sort of thing you enjoy.
Tasula
Sep 03, 2013 Tasula added it
I started this book and gave up after 100 pages. I had read previous books in the series and enjoyed them enough to buy the next few, but it has been a while since I read the previous ones. So I don't know if my tastes changed or the book was just not up to par- but I got sick of the whining (give me back my mother's soul!) and repetitive dialogue.
Patricia
Zoe is such an interesting person and lives such a complicated life. Even though this is her third adventure, but the first I had read, I was so completely engrossed in the story that I could not stop reading. Eventually I was able to make sense of the intricate plot and multiple characters...
Rachael
I had a hard time trying to catch up on what was happening..
1 girl, 3 guys? I think that's too much. Most of the things that happened were all because of Zoe and her mistakes.
This is the third book..but i'm no quitter. I'll continue with book 4 too see what happens to Dags. Yes, for Dags only.
Amy
I really did not like how this book threw in a lot of backstory until I realized the series had short stories or "half" books that my library doesn't own. Ack! I'm starting to understand things now, but I think the series is starting to push the limit on how many ghoulies can be in one series.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
A lot happened that didn't get explained until the end. WHich was more confusing then not explaining it at all. Otherwise it was really great with lots of action. I really hope Zoe finally makes the right decision in the next book.
Tammy
At this point, I'm attached. Not so very much to Zoe's powers, but to her mother and her friends and to the way Zoe is with them. It's kind of nice to see Zoe at least temporarily without her powers, it makes me like her more.
Mike
Zoe is kind of scatterbrained and not very good at recaps, so you would really need to read the previous book again before this one. Since I didn't, I found it confusing and annoying. Also slow-moving.
Topher
Interesting premise, and the series is entertaining enough - starting to see some of the bigger mythos here too. May just be getting burned out on too many of these urban fantasy series.
Anika
As Zoe changes the story gets more intense. I liked it very much could not put it down. I can't wait to see what will happen next.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
I think this was my fav so far. Turning out to be a great series.

Took me longer to read this...been a busy month.
Daelith
This one just didn't hold my attention as well as the other books. May have been because I waited too long to read it.
Christine Hayes
Was not very good. Seemed choppy and inconsistant.I made myself finish,because,I purchased this book.
April Timms Nunez
Great addition to an already fun and interesting series! Can't wait for the next one.
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Jeremy Gup
Jeremy Gup marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Legodigo
Legodigo marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • A Drop of Red (Vampire Babylon, #4)
  • Hunting Memories (Vampire Memories, #2)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
  • Retribution (Anna Strong Chronicles, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)
  • The Last Angel (Kayla Steele, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Vampire Uprising (Skinners, #4)
  • Of Darkness, Light, and Fire
  • Speak of the Devil (Morgan Kingsley, #4)
  • Under Darkness (Darkwing Chronicles, #5)
207695
Sometimes credited as Phaedra M. Weldon.

Born in Pensacola, Florida, Phaedra is the eldest of four children. She began writing in notebooks with her best friend in middle school.
After leaving college for a job in the Graphic Arts industry, Phaedra continued her love of writing in her spare time and was lucky enough at a writer's conference to meet Dean Wesley Smith, who later became her writing men
More about Phaedra Weldon...
Wraith (Zoe Martinique, #1) Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2) Revenant (Zoe Martinique, #4) Geist (Zoe Martinique, #5) Dominion (Zoe Martinique, #6)