Start by marking “The Riddle of the Gnome” as Want to Read:
The Riddle of the Gnome

The Riddle of the Gnome (Further Tales Adventures #5)

The author of The Thief and the Beanstalk once again puts a new twist on a classic tale. Twelve-year-old Tom is cursed to live alone on an island in the middle of a river. Soon an odd little man appears, and tells Tom if he can guess his name, he'll get rid of the curse.
Published March 1st 2007 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about The Riddle of the Gnome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riddle of the Gnome

Gevork Salmastyan
Jun 07, 2011 Gevork Salmastyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
I think that the Riddle of the Gnome is a good book and it is a great addition to P.W. Catanese's series. The story is good and I think that it would grab most readers. It is about a boy who has been cursed with bad luck since the day he was born and was also seperated from his birth parents. A couple found him and decided to take care of him but due to his curse, they isolated him from society. One time, he sees a little gnome from outside of his shack. This gnome offers him a job and in retur ...more
Nov 14, 2014 Me rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC from my local public library, who received it for review purposes. Yes, I am aware that this book was published in 2007.

I didn't notice that this was a sequel, and from looking at the other books, I'm hoping that they weren't all related. I'd love to find copies of all of them and read them.

Tom was an interesting narrator, I liked his voice. It was really interesting how he saw things, and his adventures along the way. The characters were interesting, and it was well-written.

Renee Brown
Jan 15, 2016 Renee Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventures of Tom, cursed with bad luck by an evil gnome - whose name must be guessed at the end of the story. An enchanting adventure with twists along the way that will delight the reader...and keep their interest. A fun series.
Feb 09, 2010 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended for gr. 5-up. Probably best for middle school, but an interesting read for anyone interested in fairy tales, especially the further adventures of fairy tale characters. A 12-year-old boy, Tom, is under a curse where he brings bad luck to anyone who comes near him. Tom meets a strange little man who offers to remove the curse if Tom completes a task for him. The task is more involved that Tom can imagine, but in the end he makes a discoveries about his curse, his adopted family, and h ...more
Madii Wade
Feb 23, 2014 Madii Wade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as I had nothing to read on a train journey, so a childrens fantasy would just be something different to read! Even when i was younger I didn't really read fantasy so this wAs really fun to read. I loved the story line, and the fact that it involved gnomes! It had some very clever twists that I didn't expect!
I gave it four stars because at times it was a little bit predictable and 'cheesy'.
I would love to read the other further tales adventure books!
Oct 25, 2009 Tripleguess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was enjoyable. Poor Tom! A good plot, with a bittersweet ending (but more sweet than bitter), and a sensitive portrayal of disappointment and long-ago heartbreak.
Alice Bliss
Oct 19, 2014 Alice Bliss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book.I remeber reading it when i where bin gr.5 or 6!(brings back memories),a really good story,for any fantasy lover!
Jun 09, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love fairy tales and really enjoy his books.
I didn't realize this was JFiction when I put it on my queue. It was a great story. The writing was well-done and the story all pulled together well. It was a continuation of Rumpelstiltskin. I liked the twist it added to the original tale. the only reason that this received only 3 stars was that it's a boy book. ;-) I know, that's silly. My son would love this, I think. There is a whole series that goes along with it. They are adventurous without a hint of romance...not my cuppa. Great stories, ...more
Lisa Rathbun
A lot of fairy tale retellings seem aimed at a female audience, but this series really seems to appeal to guys. I found the story slow at first, but in the end I enjoyed this YA book about a boy who brings bad luck to all around him and the grumpy gnome who comes into his life. (Caution to homeschooling parents: death, violence, and the supernatural do figure into this tale.)
La Toya
It's not a dense book but it took me a while to get through. I think it's because there were a lot of sentences that the author could've left out. Great story, I just wish it was told in a more concise way.
Another Kate pick by the same author. It isn't a series so you can read them in any order. This one is about what happened after Rumplestiltskin. Quite entertaining.
The Fairy Godmother
Based on Rumpelstiltskin.
Rachel Mckitterick
Rachel Mckitterick marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Reece rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Esme C.M
Esme C.M rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Alyssa Schneyman
Alyssa Schneyman marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Natasha marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Emily added it
Aug 29, 2016
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Kirsten Johnson
Kirsten Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Ian Wilmot Comstock
Ian Wilmot Comstock rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Jennifer Jensen
Jennifer Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Danielle Shelley
Danielle Shelley marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Keri Sparks
Keri Sparks rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pay the Piper
  • A Semi-Charming Kind of Life (Ever After High: A School Story, #3)
  • Creature Fantastic
  • Princess without a Palace: A King Thrushbeard Fairy Tale
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
  • Straw Into Gold
  • Heroes of the Dustbin (Janitors, #5)
  • Charmed (Fairy Tale Reform School, #2)
  • Tales of Arilland (Books of Arilland #5)
  • Never After
  • The Nightingale
  • Camo Girl
  • The Gypsy Crown
  • Spinners
  • Sartor
  • Spellbound
  • Nursery Rhymes & Fairy Tales
  • As Old as Time (A Twisted Tale, #3)
P.W. (Paul) Catanese is the author of fantasy-adventure novels (published by Aladdin/Simon & Schuster). His next novel, DONNY'S INFERNO, a supernatural adventure, will be published in early 2016.

A crisp style, fast pacing, interesting characters and vivid descriptions have made Catanese a favorite with everyone from reluctant readers to teachers to adults seeking a thrilling escape. His books
More about P.W. Catanese...

Further Tales Adventures (5 books)
  • The Thief and the Beanstalk (Further Tales Adventures, #1)
  • The Brave Apprentice (Further Tales Adventures, #2)
  • The Eye of the Warlock (Further Tales Adventures, #3)
  • The Mirror's Tale (Further Tales Adventures, #4)