The Swan Kingdom

The Swan Kingdom

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,720 ratings  ·  287 reviews
"Marriott notes Andersen’s ‘The Wild Swans’ as her inspiration, but the novel is entirely her own, full of narrative power and magic." — BOOKLIST

When Alexandra’s mother is slain by an unnatural beast, shadows fall on the once-lush kingdom. Too soon the widowed king is entranced by a cunning stranger — and in one chilling moment Alexandra’s beloved brothers disappear, and s...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published March 5th 2007)

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineCinder by Marissa MeyerFairest by Gail Carson LevineBeastly by Alex FlinnScarlet by Marissa Meyer
Fairy Tales Retold
70th out of 219 books — 226 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCulloo by Murielle CyrThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Wolves/dogs and other animals on front covers
458th out of 651 books — 255 voters

More lists with this book...

Lia
This book gets off on the wrong foot and never quite recovers. It ends on the wrong foot, too.

The opening lines of Chapter 1: "You probably know me already. In every story you've ever been told, someone like me exists. A figure in the background, barely noticed by the main players. A talentless, unwanted child. The ugly one. The ugly one only gets in the way. She is as out of place as a sparrow in a clutch of swans."

From those opening lines, I expected to hear more about what made her the ugly,...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Natalie Tsang for TeensReadToo.com

As the brightly colored cover suggests, Zoë Marriott's novel THE SWAN KINGDOM is a fantastical read. It is the retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's THE WILD SWANS, a fairy tale that I had never heard of, but that has all the familiar bits and pieces like the evil stepmother, enchanted gardens, and animal transformations. It also has a spunky, magically terrific but socially awkward princess-protagonist named Alexandra.

A few of my friends dislike r...more
SheWunders
Loved it. An awesome retelling. Marriott's writing was very clear and intricate. I was impress how easily she described and related magical situations and feelings that are normally difficult to understand and imagine.
Heather
May 17, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fairy tale fans, incurable romantics
Shelves: teen
I really enjoyed this poetic retelling of the Six Swans fairy tale. Alexandra, youngest child of the king, is an ugly little thing, but useful. She can use the enaid, the power of the land, to do little things like healing and talking to the beasts and creatures of the land. Her mother's ability to wield the enaid is greater and soaks through the kingdom, bringing lush growth and bountiful crops. Alexandra's three brothers, David, Hugh and Robin, posses little of the gift, but have their own str...more
Julie
Fun light romance and magic. Alexandra, the main character, has the gift to work with the power of the earth. She knows about healing herbs and works small magics that her mother taught her. When her mother is killed by a wild beast, and her father is enchanted and tricked into marrying the evil being that killed her mother, Alexandra is on her own. Her 3 loving brothers have also been banished, but she can't quite remember what happened to them. She must learn who she is and what her powers are...more
Valerie
It was a good book but I couldn't truly love it. The story line in general was enjoyable. I guess it wasn't what I was expecting. It was expecting adventure, enchantment, disguise, romance, and action. It did have all the other things, just not to the level I'd expected.

The beginning I thought was slow. Alexandra tells us that she is ugly and I think "Alright sounds good it'll give her more depth as a princess." But alas she is just plain and I can't sympathies too much with a just plain prince...more
Krystle
I am such a sucker for pretty covers. I swear, it's like I don't even read the premise and just dive in. Well, I at least knew it was a fairy tale retelling and I love those, so I couldn't pass this one up. I've never read the original tale this is based on but I would like to, I just need to find the time to get to them, so keep that in mind.

The first half of this book (or part one) was excruciating to get through. The beginning of the book was so melodramatic and filled with lots of; my father...more
Alexandra is youngest child and only daughter of the King & Queen and has always felt like an ugly duckling amongst her family. She loves spending time with her mother and brothers but doesn't get on so well with her father who finds her a disappointment because she isn't pretty enough. She loves learning about the healing properties of plants and how to use the magic of the earth from her mother and has become a skilled healer. Alexandra's life changes dramatically when her mother is killed...more
Misty
It's so hard for me not to compare any retelling that even toucheson swans (The Wild Swans, The Six Swans, doesn't matter) without comparing it to Daughter of the Forest , so I was really worried going in that I would unconsciously (or even consciously) be setting The Swan Kingdomup to fail. But it amazed me how little I felt myself needing to compare. This isn't to say I didn't compare, because I definitely did,especially when it comes to the depth of the story (in which case I compared it to M...more
I think this book would have worked better had it broken completely from the fairy tale (six swans—or any of the other many versions by which it’s known) since the connection to the original was so thin. I liked the magical kingdom, with its matriarchal, druid feel. However, I was frequently confused by setting, as I was constantly being surprised by more advanced technologies than I expected in the area. I was disappointed that the nettles played so little a role in the book and that the proble...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
3.25 out of 5

Good, but not on the same level as her later novels. Clearly a debut, Marriott demonstrates a lot of the same skills (strong female character, unique magic, compelling storytelling) that she will continue to mature in her later work.

A bit simplistic, a bit too easily resolved at the end, still, The Swan Kingdom was entertaining and creative. A fun read, if an easy one.
Eafiu
Well... I haven't cried like that in a long time.

Wow, I can't say anything. No, really, I can't think of a word. These sentences were written minutes apart from each other. (Okay, I couldn't even understand what I meant, sorry.)

Just read it. Do I have to do everything around here?
Brandy Painter
Originally posted at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.

I read and reviewed Zoe Marriott's Shadows on the Moon earlier this year (my review) and decided to track down some of her other novels. I started with The Swan Kingdom, a retelling of "The Wild Swans", because I like fairy tale retellings.

The story is basically a longer version of the original giving a more detailed accounting between the time the brothers are turned to swans and Alexandra sets them free. Marriott does add her own little spin...more
Princess Debz
Originally posted on Debz Bookshelf

It’s so difficult to find words to properly describe my love of Zoe Marriott. This book was absolutely stunning. It’s hard to find a single fault within these pages. The writing was gorgeous. I knew it would be, but I loved it much more than I ever thought I could’ve. It flowed so gracefully, and told the story beautifully.

All the characters were amazing. They were realistic, but at the same time most certainly belonged in a fairy tale. Alexandra was a wonderfu...more
Nafiza
I really liked Marriott’s Shadows on the Moon and considering her superior writing skills, happily dived into The Swan Kingdom expecting the same kind of crisp narrative, plotting and character development that made me like Shadows on the Moon so much. However, while the writing skill is undeniable, I cannot say I enjoyed the novel as much as I liked Shadows on the Moon. I don’t even think it’s the novel’s fault. I just felt that it lacked the complexity I had expected of it.

Perhaps it was inten...more
Selena
Jade Walker
Original review at http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/

That's what the blurb says and I have to admit, after first reading that, it sounded like every other magical fantasy out there. I bought it though, simply for the fact that the cover art was absoloutely stunning. Let's put it like this though. I started the book on the car ride home and I had finished it two hours later. This title is the one that showed me that a book can be beautiful.

Everything about this book is gorgeous, from the way tha...more
Luna
Re-read in 2012

Swan Kingdom was Zöe Marriott’s debut, I picked it up because I love retellings. I was not disappointed. Having re-read the book this year I found all manner of things I missed the first time round.

One of the things that Zöe Marriott excels in is creating strong yet believable heroines. Alexandra doesn’t have the greatest self-esteem, her mother and brothers love her, the relationship with her father is awkward. While she takes after her mother in the skills of a cunning woman Ale...more
Ashley
Originally reviewed on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

The Swan Kingdom by Zoë Marriott is one of my favorite fairy tale retellings of all time. I love it. Zoë has taken the old tale, The Wild Swans and made it completely her own. She wrote us an absolutely lovely guest post that talks about the book far better than I could, so I'm going to link it here.

Alexandra is the young daughter of a distant and disappointing father and a warm, loving and magical mother. Her father is disint...more
Tara
One thing I can say about Zoe Marriott is that she knows how to write a Prince-Charming-type character! I enjoyed her writing style whilst reading Daughter of the Flames, and the love interest she created, and since then I’ve been waiting to read more of her stuff.

The Swan Kingdom is loosely based around The Wild Swans by Hans Christian Anderson, but the key word here is loosely. I admit, I’m not over familiar with that particular story, but from what I remember, whilst parallels between this b...more
Omly
This book is a retelling of the Six Swans, which has been done before as in Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier but still manages a few twists that were different.

Despite the description at the beginning of the story, there does not seem to be anything particularly nondescript about the main character, although she describes herself as "plain". She is a red haired, "leaf-green" eyed, willowy princess who can work magic. But we are to be convinced that she is pretty ordinary?

The telling of...more
Christiane
Beautiful rendition of Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale of the the three swans and the princess, this novel enters the enchanted depths of magic. Some reviewers complained about the lack of descriptives towards the characters, but I see it as irrelevant to the story in question. As with all fairly tales, the author should leave some details out for the sake of the reader, that is, the reader should be able to identify with the main character. Therefore, the details can the left to the imagin...more
Nikki
I am being extra cranky about books at the moment, so I think this one gets three stars purely because I didn't grumble at it and I read it in record time. It's a relatively straightforward retelling of the fairytale about the girl whose brothers are turned into swans; it of course has an evil stepmother, and a love interest. I actually confess to being kind of interested in Gabriel, but his storyline didn't really come to much other than love interest -- though it's better than if he got all th...more
Izlinda
I have mixed feelings about this book. I admit part of it is because I finished this while suffering from altitude sickness at my brother-in-law's aunt's house...

Some of the book I liked, such as how the parents, even the wise queen, weren't portrayed as infallible and lovely. And even the father was human, with flaws, but not one-dimensionally evil.

However, other parts were very confusing, or felt rushed. The ending was a bit weird and rushed. It builds up in her childhood, realizing she has po...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I went on a three day vacation and decided to take on of my many books off my own shelf to read rather than the stack of library books.

I read this book in 2 1/2 day.s I really enjoyed it.

Alexandra is a princess and she has earth powers. She learns them from her mother, and her mother, etc. The power of communicating with the earth is hereditary.

As Alexandra grows and learns about womanhood her mother is attacked by a stange creature, and Alexandra and the other wise women can not heal her. Her...more
Tiffany
Heather
When Alexandra is 15, her mother (the queen) is killed by a monster in the woods. The king in his grief goes out to find the monster and comes back with a beautiful woman (the monster in a human guise) who has enchanted him. She exiles the three princes and sends Alexandra away from the kingdom, but Alexandra knows that she herself holds great power, and it is up to her to save her people and her kingdom.
Kristen
Based on the Hans Christian Anderson tale "The Wild Swans", this book was filled with magic and follows the usual fairy tale plot of an evil woman who has taken over the kingdom. A young woman must take what her mother has taught her and try to stop this woman from completing devouring the life from the kingdom.
Annelise L'Estrange
OMG, this was one of the best books I've read in the past few months!

Totally unexpected from the begginning to the end, Zöe sure knows how to get somebody into a book!

And Gabriel was so perfect! He is really a enchanted prince without the enchanting xD

This worths a lot!!
Christine
Nov 14, 2009 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of Fairy Tales and Shannon Hale
This book was superb...It has a lame summary, but the writing is fantastic, and the plot kept me guessing. Surprisingly.
The characters are also very lovely...:) I just loved the whole thing! And it was clean...except one paragraph, which was hardly bad at all. :)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Thornspell
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • Into the Wild (Into the Wild, #1)
  • Black Pearls: A Faerie Strand
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Snow in Summer
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Runaway Princess
  • The Shadow of the Bear (A Fairy Tale Retold #1)
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of "The Ballad of Mulan" (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • A Posse of Princesses
  • A Curse Dark As Gold
I've known that I wanted to be a writer since I finished reading my first book; 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton. I think I was about eight, but I've never changed my mind in all the years since then.

I got my first publishing contract when I was twenty-two, but had to wait until I was twenty-four to see that book published (it was The Swan Kingdom).

I live in a little house in a town by the...more
More about Zoë Marriott...
Shadows on the Moon Daughter of the Flames (Ruan, #1) FrostFire (Ruan, #2) The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1) Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)

“To ugly ducklings everywhere,
Don't worry about those fluffy yellow morons:
They'll never get to be swans”
114 likes