Start by marking “Dragonslayer (Babymouse, #11)” as Want to Read:
Dragonslayer (Babymouse, #11)

Dragonslayer (Babymouse #11)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,383 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
Get ready for the next big epic fantasy . . .

In a distant kingdom a growing darkness falls over the land.

One is called to defend . . . to bring hope . . . to slay the Mighty Dragon. . . .

Could it be . . . Babymouse? Find out when Babymouse leads her fellow Mathletes in the quest of a lifetime, a death-defying fight to win back both her school’s honor and the coveted GOLDE
Published August 25th 2009 by Random House Children's Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dragonslayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonslayer

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Stonekeeper by Kazu KibuishiOut from Boneville by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Best Graphic Novels for Children
321st out of 781 books — 1,071 voters
Mr Stink by David WalliamsDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyThe Boy in the Dress by David WalliamsRatBurger by David WalliamsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
best children's books!
74th out of 106 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Letticia
Jan 19, 2010 Letticia rated it it was amazing
i am currently reading this book and so far its good
Amelia.tullyhotmail.co.uk
May 14, 2014 Amelia.tullyhotmail.co.uk rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing graphic novel. So if you like cartoons and lots of pictures I would recommend this would be a match made in heaven!!!

At first I thought was a baby book but then I got really interested!
Also I like the way the Jenifer had so many creative ideas. This book is just pink, white and black so beware if you think it is odd. I don't want to be rood... but this story is more for girls. But anyone can read!!!

I just want to say I hope that when you read that you enjoy!!!
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 07, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Cybils nominee.

Comments: Babymouse is daydreaming about being an epic dragonslayer as in fantasy books when she receives an F- on her math test. Her teacher helpfully signs her up for the Mathletes team in exchange for ignoring her abysmal grade. Babymouse and math just do not get along and while her team prepares for the challenge against the current champions, the Owlgorithms, Babymouse just can't stop daydreaming; transplanting herself into Narnia and Middle Earth. Another
Becky
Sep 21, 2009 Becky rated it it was amazing
Babymouse has quite the imagination and uses it freely, almost too freely. She finds herself drifting and not really paying attention in math class, thus earning herself an F- on a math assignment. F-?! Woah, Babymouse. Her teacher promises to forget the bad grade if Babymouse will give up her lunch periods to compete with the Mathletes in the upcoming Math Olympics!

This installment of this pink, cupcake filled graphic novel features fun parodies of many popular fantasy books. Like these classic
Dolly
Jul 07, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the eleventh book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences on the math team, something I am all-too familiar with. I only participated in our high school's math club for a year, but it was just as dorky as I expected it to be, but in a fun sort of way.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but nonetheless, it's an entertaining story. I loved the literary references, even the snide ones. (view spoiler)
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 Lady Knight rated it it was amazing
Babymouse is a great way to get kids to read. Despite it's excessive use of pink (everything but the text is pink!) even boys seem to have no problem reading Babymouse. The text is simple and the comic book format allows much of the text to be explained by the pictures.

In this installment of the series, Babymouse finds herself failing math. To make up for an F- on a test, her teacher makes her join the school's Mathaletes team. Babymouse hates math so much that she often finds herself daydreami
Rebekah
Jan 24, 2016 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Read it because I saw it at my cousin's house and I wanted something super easy and fun to read. It was very cute. I love to read easier books every once in a while and this one was great. I'm not familiar with any other books in the babymouse series but this one was very clever. I'd definitely like to take a look at some of the other ones.
Ch_beverlyatwood
Publisher: Random House
Year originally published: 2009
Translator (if applicable):
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Ages 5-8
Format (picture book, audio book, book read online, chapter book/novel, graphic novel): Graphic Novel
Rating system: **
Brief summary: An imaginative mouse who likes to read heroic fantasy novels finds herself on the school math team as it prepares to compete for the covete
Rebecca
Feb 21, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This one was a lot of fun - I particularly liked the ending this time. (view spoiler)
Allison
Dec 15, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
Holm, Jennifer L. Babymouse Dragonslayer 96 pgs. Random House Books for Young Readers Language~G; Sexual Content~G Violence~G

Billed as “The next big epic fantasy!,” Babymouse #11 does not disappoint! After failing a math quiz, Babymouse is sent to work with the Mathletes. This group calls themselves the Fighting Fractions. Babymouse is unsure of her abilities and doubts herself. After much study and practice the Math Olympics arrives. Will all her work pay off or will she fail again?! Don’t miss
Sara
Another great Babymouse

I love the fantasy connections! Lots of kids will be able to relate to Babymouse's frustrations with math. The humor of the narrator is the best!
Bria
Jun 11, 2015 Bria rated it it was amazing
It was a really good book. I would recommend it to people who are in first grade- third grade.
Linda
Jun 17, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many of these I've read, but this is my favorite so far. I actually think it's almost for older readers. Who else would get the jokes, like the math teams' names: The Fighting Fractions, The Hypotemouses, and the Owlgorithms? This concerns Babymouse's low grades in math, so her teacher sends her to be on the math team, where she has to work on math every day at lunch. There are multiple ways to be successful in school, like in math, and this book shows the triumph of Babymouse a ...more
Abby Johnson
Dec 11, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it it was amazing
The 11th Babymouse installment is a hit! When Babymouse gets an F- on a math quiz, her teacher offers her extra credit to join the Mathletes and practice her arithmetic. But for Babymouse, winning a Mathlete competition is like finding the Holy Grail - nearly impossible! She keeps foraying into the fantasy world of the thick novels she likes to read. (My favorite? "Another Story About an Orphan Who Has Magical Abilities and Saves the World from the Forces of Darkness (Book One of Twelve)" . High ...more
Jackson Heights
Book Level: 2.6 Lexile: GN500L
AR: 1/2 point (0.5)
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-tom
Clever!
Holly
I loved this Babymouse story! Poor Babymouse is recruited onto the math quiz team after receiving an F- on a test. She is a self-proclaimed failure at math (and the narrator agrees). How will she ever survive? This one is full of fantasy story allusions - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc. Such funny lines, too, from the geometry whiz, Lucy, the bat (I love the upside down speech bubbles from her) and the narrator. I love the evil Owlgorithms!
Jamal
Sep 21, 2013 Jamal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, library
Not my normal sort of reading, but my son got it from the library and told me to read it. He said that I would like it because it as kind of like The Hobbit. It did have references to pop culture fantasy such as Lord of the Rings, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Harry Potter and Eragon. What a liked most about the book was that it promoted a female protagonist as someone who did math, even if it was not what she wanted to do. Overall it was a cute enjoyable quick read. Thanks son.
Paula Griffith
Jul 20, 2011 Paula Griffith rated it it was amazing
I always love me some Babymouse! For this adventure, Babymouse has to fantasize her way out of a big math problem. She failed her math test, so her teacher makes her an offer she can't refuse--join the Mathletes who meet during lunch and the test grade will disappear. ...so after some soul searching and fantasizing, Babymouse makes her way into the Mathletes room to discover a new group of friends, and a possible new destiny. Recommended for grades 3-6. Everyone needs a little Babymouse!
The Brothers
Jan 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Asher (8yo) read.
Ashley Byers
Jan 21, 2016 Ashley Byers rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
Babymouse is perfect for fans of Junie B. Jones, Ivy and Bean, Big Nate, Dork Diaries. Our brave young hero will lead her fellow Mathletes in the quest of a lifetime, a death-defying fight to win back both her school’s honor and the coveted GOLDEN SLIDE RULE. Can she conquer the evil Owlgorithms and her own personal dragon—MATH? Find out in Dragonslayer—the 11th hilarious, action-packed installment of the beloved Babymouse graphic novel series! Ages 7-10 and grades 2-5.
Angie
Jul 17, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel
So why did I wait so long to actually pick up a Babymouse? Well, one reason is they were always checked out at school!

Now I will look forward to school starting (in a couple weeks! NOT YET!) so that I can talk to kids about it. I'm dying to know ... do they notice all of the double entendre? These are so clever! It doesn't matter if they don't cause the story still fits--Babymouse joins the Mathletes. But the references to LoTR and the Chronicles of Narnia were hilarious.
Melissa Richardson
Babymouse is awesome! Great story and creative graphics.
Jim
Feb 06, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another babymouse adventure, this timew her daydreaming gets her punished by being stuck on the school math olympics team. along the way she visits narnia (and finds an understanding teacher) and fights sauron. she, of course, becomes victorios by trusting herself.

iloved this one because of the tolkien and csl references. how could a kid, especially a girl or one afraid of math not love it?
Steve
Jan 28, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I had never heard of this children's comic series until my friend Jason gave me this volume along with a stack of other stuff. It's not an "all-ages series" becuase I don't think there's much here to appeal to adults. But I think it would be a great series for kids, especially young girls who are imaginative and creative (in other words, girls who are sometimes prone to daydreaming while in class :) ).
Kelly
Jan 18, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This one was better than #10. It was really funny again. I really liked the illustrations like the right triangle mountains and the reference to different books. The only weird part was how it starts and ends about dragons but the main story is about the math olympics. I wasn't quite sure how it fit except that she defeated them both. I would have liked a full-on dragon book.
Mandy
Jun 17, 2012 Mandy rated it really liked it
5Q, 4P
A distinctive visual style combined with a strong storyline, makes this a good choice for older beginning readers. The storyline and visuals allow for reading comprehension along several levels, and play on words increase depth and vocabulary. However, the visual style takes some getting used to and some readers may not enjoy the pink/white/black stylization.
Jenna White
Nov 16, 2011 Jenna White rated it it was ok
Personally, I don't particularly like comic books and therefore was not quite into this book. I think comic books are more for fun and pleasure reading. I don't think that a book like this could ever be used in a classroom setting. Of course, reading should be fun for students but I just don't think that comicbook-like books could be used in an educational manner.
Wayne
Mar 19, 2010 Wayne rated it liked it
Another cute one. A little Lord of the Rings mixed in with Narnia and a contest for Babymouse, who is terrible at Math.That's really all you need to know. This is only the second one of these I've read, but they could be addicting. Beware !Early readers surely would love these. The art style perfectly fits the story.
Deborah
Nov 22, 2011 Deborah rated it liked it
Babymouse scores an F- in math class. Her teacher tells her she can improve her grade if she helps the Mathletes team win the Golden Slide Rule. Is Babymouse the teammate prophesied to break the Owlgorithms winning streak or will she set the team up for failure once again?

Cute.

3rd-5th grade.
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • And Then There Were Gnomes
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Fashion Kitty
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000 (Frankie Pickle, #2)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Gabby and Gator
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...

Babymouse (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1)
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
  • Beach Babe (Babymouse, #3)
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • Heartbreaker (Babymouse, #5)
  • Camp Babymouse (Babymouse, #6)
  • Skater Girl (Babymouse, #7)
  • Puppy Love (Babymouse, #8)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)