Start by marking “Five Minutes More” as Want to Read:
Five Minutes More

Five Minutes More

D'Arcy's dad is dead. She desperately wants it to have been an accident, but she is not sure. And when she learns the truth, things become even more difficult. Why would her father choose suicide? Why didn't she see the signs? Her father had always helped her get through everything in her life--five minutes at a time. Can she do it alone? And then she meets Seth. When will ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Five Minutes More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Minutes More

Rebecca McNutt
As the main character of this novel tries to come to terms with her father's suicide, she finds solace in her new friend, Seth, but it's difficult to move on from the past. Five Minutes More is a realistic and intense story and really worth reading.
Lauren
Apr 10, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I remember seeing this at Thao's blog a while back and going " That book looks great!" So, when the chance came up to review this I immediately agreed. Unfortunately, Five More Minutes wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be.

First off, I felt that the plot was extremely over dramatized. Everything had to have a bang to it, leaving it to come out in an unrealistic way. Such as, when D'Arcy decided that her half sister, Clara, didn't deserve their Father's watch, she tipped over one of Clara's
Marcia
Feb 05, 2013 Marcia rated it it was ok
In Five Minutes More D'Arcy loses her dad. She desperately wants to believe his death was an accident, but more and more evidence proves it was suicide.

The title of this book refers to the five minutes more game D'Arcy used to play with her father. I loved the way this game was referred to through the first part of the story, but was a bit disappointed it didn't come back in the rest of the book.

The writing style was great. I really came to like several characters, especially Seth, and the book
Mar 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Reaallyy boring. I litterary forced myself to read the whole thing b/c I had no other book and I was bored.. It was disguisting too.
Stephanie A.
I'm sorry your dad killed himself, but this is not an acceptable way to act out, young lady. (or: STOP BEING SUCH A BRAT.)
Lily
Apr 29, 2011 Lily rated it liked it
Debbie
Mar 10, 2014 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-brunswick
This was a sad but good read. The main character D'arcy just finds out that her dad has died and according to everyone around her, her dad committed suicide. D'arcy refusses to believe that her father would do that to her.
D'arcy has a half sister named Clare who she doesn't hate but has never really gotten to know her well. Though Clare and D'arcy don't know how to show it they really do care about each other which by the end of the book they start to connect.

D'arcy has this close friend Seth
Trista
Nov 28, 2011 Trista rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
D'Arcy's life used to be normal. She had a mom, a dad, a step-sister she didn't get along with, a boyfriend named Brendan and a best friend named Marissa. Then her father's car goes into the river and D'Arcy's life is never "normal" again. D'Arcy really wants for it to have been an accident, but the evidence suggests otherwise. D'Arcy's grief over her father's death causes her to spiral out of control to the point where she shuts out everyone around her. Except Seth. Seth is the peer tutor in he ...more
Yan
Mar 31, 2009 Yan rated it it was ok
Five Minutes More captured the essence of emotional detachment. The theory that repeating your mantra “just 5 minutes more” will and shall overcome all. I kept repeating to myself, just 5 minutes more then I will go to sleep, just 5 minutes more then I will go start my homework. The 5 minutes turned into an hour until at last, I finished the book.

I loved how the book was divided into two sections—the fall season and the winter season and spring. It separated the story in lined with the stages o
CαthεεBooks
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

My Opinion : Warning : I read this book in half a day, and my emotions were fully blown. Maybe reading it in a day would be better for everyone.

This book was different from what I normally read. I love Young Adult Paranormal Romance, and this was more about Young Adult Non-Fiction. But I still enjoyed it.

I haven't read much books that are about dealing with death without anything Paranormal, so this was a b
Kelly
Nov 22, 2009 Kelly rated it did not like it
Wow. This was just...bad.
It was entirely inauthentic, the voices were unreal, the situations unrealistic, and the timing very, very poor. D'Arcy had a lot of issues with breaking things that was just silly. None of the relationships were well developed nor did they ever evolve (and we're left with her boyfriend and her three seasons later and know nothing about how they pan out).

Ryan had an idea she needed another 300 pages to flesh out well. She has written for the Orca Soundings line before,
Invalid Destiny
Apr 30, 2014 Invalid Destiny rated it did not like it
This book was an utter disappointment to me. I understand that D'Arcy is still reeling from the suicide of her father but the quality of writing just made me want to hit her. The writing was weak, the characters felt two dimensional to me and it just seemed to drag on and on. And I just hate how D'Arcy treated her half-sister! She was just utterly selfish; smashing things just so Claire (her half-sister) couldn't have them, being rude to everyone around her and failing to realize what that other ...more
Jodysegal
Nov 08, 2009 Jodysegal rated it liked it
Recommends it for: High School
Five Minutes More is a well-written, powerful account of the devastation suicide leaves in its wake. We first meet Darcy, a teen whose father has died, at the funeral home as she numbly watches her mother make “arrangements” with the “funeral director” – terms she finds too neatly removed from the mess of death. She wills herself to stay strong for just “five minutes more,” a trick her father used when she was little. But when Darcy finally admits that her beloved father killed himself, she can ...more
Abby Johnson
Apr 12, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: blogged
When D'Arcy's father dies, her world falls apart and the only thing she can do is take things five minutes at a time. She can stand five more minutes of anything... but can she stand this?

D'Arcy's grief is searing and oozes off every page. At first it seems like the story will be about D'Arcy's resilience in the face of tragedy, but she soon spirals out of control. It's not exactly my thing, but fans of issue books will enjoy the drama.

Full review on my blog:
Tiffany
Jul 24, 2009 Tiffany rated it liked it
This book deals with topics many teens find interesting and struggle with. D'Arcy's character reminded me of D'Arcy from "Degrassi: The Second Generation." Actually, this entire book seemed like an episode straight from "Degrassi." A good read, but not great. D'Arcy's character could be developed more, many of the important revelation moments seemed rushed and the ending/wrap-up was very all-of-a-sudden. I also felt the relationships were never fully explored, especially with D'Arcy and her moth ...more
Alexa
Jul 31, 2010 Alexa rated it really liked it
Bunker
Aug 24, 2009 Bunker rated it liked it
D'Arcy's father has died. He drove his car into a lake, but the police are still investigating the cause of the crash: accident or suicide. Unable to cope with this devastating loss, she pushes away any comfort offered by her mother, her best friend, Marissa, her boyfriend, Brendan, and her half sister, Claire, with whom she has always struggled. Instead, she forms a friendship with Seth, a guy in her AP Math class who has his own family secrets. As the truth unravels, D'Arcy does, too.
Cecily Kyle
Dec 02, 2013 Cecily Kyle rated it liked it
It was a pretty good book but all together it is sad and about the loss of D'Arcy's father and her friend Seth's brother by suicide. Altogether a great book but depressing.

Most of the time, when it comes to suicide, the people left behind have nothing to grasp on to. They can't explain why and blame themselves. I think this book would or could help others who may have dealt with this situation.
Aileen
May 15, 2009 Aileen rated it did not like it
When I read this book I felt like brain matter was slowly leaking out my head. It was not exactly boring me to death, it was just predictable that I could tell what was going to happen from the very beginning. The book just laid everything out and was just to predictable, I hated how easy it was to tell what was going to happen to her and to the people around her. It was even more obvious that her father committed suicide, I could tell from just reading the first two or three pages.
Ramona
Jan 24, 2015 Ramona rated it liked it
I'm really giving it a 3 1/2. I'm still not sure if I liked it. I thought the main character, D'Arcy, was a bit whiny -- and maybe that's how a typical teenager would handle her dad's suicide. The writing wasn't very compelling; however, I think my female high school students would like this story. They tend to like overly dramatic stories.
Ms. Lowe
May 10, 2013 Ms. Lowe rated it liked it
RL= 3.6 , PTS= 7
Claudia says....
This is one of my favorite books about teen life.Darcy is a 16 year old girl that lost her dad to suicide but she doesnt want to believe it. Then darcys half sister claire comes in trying to take her dads belonggings. darcy had a boyfriend who was a jerk and not supportive at all calling her dad a coward. but then comes seth
Geraldine
Sep 11, 2010 Geraldine rated it liked it
Perfectly described how I felt when my mother passed away. Things can't just go back to being normal because the definition of normal has changed. What is normal? A good read with a simple plot. However the story was a little draggy when D'Arcy thought Seth was dead.
Ricki
Dec 29, 2009 Ricki rated it did not like it
This book starts off okay, but the characters are never developed and it is incredibly predictable. I am not even sure what happened with the ending. All of a sudden, the events were illogical and silly, and while the end was intended to be sad, it actually made me laugh.
Anna Motteler
Aug 16, 2010 Anna Motteler rated it it was amazing
This book really connects you with how teenagers usually go through the loss of a loved one, especially their father, like D'Arcy in this novel. Great read.
Kimdewitt
Jul 29, 2009 Kimdewitt rated it it was ok
Written well, but quite a sad situation. This book deals with a daughter dealing with her father's suicide.
Lisa
Jul 01, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I needed to read a YA book for a library contest. I chose this book not really expecting much. I read it in one night. I just couldn't put it down. Short, but good read.
Taylor
Jun 18, 2015 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Amazing book I cant believe how much I loved it. Will keep you on the edge of your seat. Also have a tissue box with you, you will cry.
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014
Nicole Eberly
Nicole Eberly rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Okalani Lawler
Okalani Lawler rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
  • Tenderwire
  • Muchacho
  • How to Be a Vampire: A Fangs-On Guide for the Newly Undead
  • The Broken Hearts Club
  • All About Evie (Chameleon Chronicles, #1)
  • Splintering
  • Touch
  • My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • Of All the Stupid Things
  • The Debs
  • Maybe
  • Slept Away
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Kid Table
Darlene Ryan also writes under the names Sofie Kelly and Sofie Ryan.
More about Darlene Ryan...