Start by marking “Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy, #1)

Tamed by a Laird (Galloway Trilogy #1)

National bestselling author Amanda Scott sweeps readers back to the turbulent fourteenth-century Scottish Borders, where valiant men and women risk everything for their land.

Jenny Easdale is ready to accept her fate. She's agreed to marry a man she will never love—yet not before slipping away for one last adventure. Following a traveling minstrel troupe, she's whisked into
Published July 1st 2009 by Forever (first published June 10th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tamed by a Laird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tamed by a Laird

Lover of Romance
I have read from this author before and just fell in love with her books. I will admit that I had a hard time getting into this one until the end....it almost became a chore. I usually wouldn't have kept up with it so far...but the plot was decent, and I just had to see how it turned out. Even though toward the end I started to really enjoy the story, I found myself skimming almost through the majority of the book...which is a shame. Also I think the strong accents in the book, didn't exactly ...more
Willow Brook
Jan 06, 2010 Willow Brook rated it really liked it
Amanda Scott's Historical Romances are almost always a nice change of pace for me. There is a good deal of emphasis on the historical part of the equation and the romance is often told more realistically than many romances. Tamed by a Laird is set in medieval Scotland. The politics weren't as prominent as some of Scott's previous books, but there is still some at times confusing intrigue involving jewelry theft.

Jenny is the recently orphaned 17 year old heroine who finds herself betrothed to Re
Syeda Nessa
Jan 29, 2010 Syeda Nessa rated it liked it
This book took place in Scotland during the 1300s.Jenny an impulsive young girl who wants adventure and be herself is stuck with a family who cage her in. She is used to the freedom her father gives her, but after his death all was lost for her. Her guardian now was her father's brother-in-law who believed a young girls place in society is behind a man. Later Jenny is forced to agree to marry a man who is after her money. Jenny wishes for one last adventure before being tied to her ...more
Ashley
Aug 23, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Tamed by a Laird was my introduction to Amanda Scott, and she didn’t disappoint. Unlike most Scottish romances that I’ve read, this one is very Scottish in speech. Sometimes I had to slow down and sound everything out in my head so I could make sure I understood what the characters were saying. It was almost like reading another language, which was neat. But that had nothing to do with how it was written, so I don’t mean to push you away with talk of how I couldn’t ...more
Gaby
Synopsis:

Young, wealthy, and orphaned and living in the 1300s, Jenny Easdale is in the unenviable position of being engaged to her guardian's brother-in-law, Reid. While Reid is good looking, he's immature and spoiled. Reid hasn't had experience managing an estate but expects to run Easdale once they're married.

During her betrothal celebration, Jenny yearns for adventure and with little planning, decides to sneak out with her personal servant when Peg visits her cousin among the entertainers. Je
Sheila
Nov 11, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
Ah but I’m English; how could I enjoy a book where the English are the enemy? But I’d have to say, I did enjoy Amanda Scott’s book, set in the 14th century Scottish Borders. I may not have been entirely convinced by Jenny Easdale’s curious escapade, but I was certainly entranced.

Rushing from an unwelcome betrothal, determined to enjoy her last moments of freedom, Jenny joins the minstrels and is welcomed by a host of fascinating characters. Meanwhile Sir Hugh is sent to bring her home, and ends
Katrina
Sep 19, 2009 Katrina rated it liked it
Tamed by a Laird is a Scottish romance that brings together two strong characters. Jenny is a landowner, who has recently become betrothed to her uncle's doltish brother in-law. Jenny is used to independence, faced with a future of womanly chores and child rearing, she longs for one, last, big adventure. Jenny gets more than she asked for when her walk with a traveling entertainment troupe turns into a mysterious debacle.

Sir Hugh has been sent by his brother in-law to fetch his impulsive brother
NTE
Sep 15, 2013 NTE rated it liked it
A Scottish lass longing for one last adventure before she marries the fool she's betrothed to, convinces her lady's maid to help her sneak off with a traveling minstrel troupe. Her betrothed's older, wiser, and less emotionally-available brother is tasked with tracking her down and bringing her back before scandal or danger erupts. Of course, scandal and danger erupt, but in less than predictable - & still entertaining - ways. The mostly reasonable characters (there were a few places where I ...more
Helen Griffin
Aug 24, 2013 Helen Griffin rated it really liked it
I actually found this while I was looking for a different book (a different genre altogether if I'm honest) but thought what the hell, why not!

Took me a little to get into it. The speech was very much Scottish brogue, but once I got into the swing of it then the story went by quite well! This book revolves around a girl called Jennie, she also has 2 cousins (who are half sisters to each other) and this is number one in the trilogy of the 3 woman.

The story was well told and the Hero was a your ty
Sandy Vaughan
Jul 31, 2009 Sandy Vaughan rated it it was amazing
From its start with a map and a note to the reader, to end with another note to the reader, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I enjoyed this view into the past. I loved the sweetness and intelligence of Jenny. The determination and cleverness of Hugh. The crassness of Reid. The canniness of The Joculator. All the members of the troupe and Archie the Grim. What a great cast of characters!

If you want a good read, I highly recommend this book...but keep your dictionary handy for some of the arcane wor
Theresa
Jan 23, 2010 Theresa rated it really liked it
Right after I started this book I came down with a cold and I was so grateful to have a good book to read. This book helped me recover so much faster. As always Amanda Scott has done an excellent job of transporting us to 1374 Scotland. In no time you're on board the band wagon beating a tambourine hoping Jenny Easdale and Sir Hugh Douglas get together. I also liked the secondary character Fiona and look forward to reading her story.
Jenny
Feb 02, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
I liked how the main characters were fictional but many of the side characters were in fact real. It really drew me into medieval Scotland. The language was really authentic in that I had to reread many conversations to understand what was being said. I'm looking forward to continuing the series as the next book, Seduced by a Rogue has already been released.
Deborah
Nov 07, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Becky
Jenny is supposed to marry but decided she needs an adventure before she weds so she runs away to travels with a minstral group. Hugh, her betrothed's brother is sent to being her home. He has just arrived at the minstral camp...
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it it was amazing
Amanda Scott's Scottish novels are always great, and this is no exception. Feisty, adorable heroine, and handsome sexy hero. Lots of interesting stuff about minstrels and Scottish history. If you like the genre, don't miss this one. It's #1 of a trilogy.
Joy
May 22, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok
It was okay, not that great of a plot. She tried to make it into a mystery romance and there wasn't much mystery to the story, or romance.
Diana
Dec 01, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
Among my favorites by Amanda Scott because it shows what life was like for people like the minstrels. In the 21st century, these people would be on TV or in the movies or plays or on the radio.
The Baking Bookworm
Jan 02, 2012 The Baking Bookworm rated it did not like it
I read 120 pages of this book before finally giving up. The plot was extremely slow and the characters weren't very interesting at all.
AV Dept
Feb 16, 2016 AV Dept rated it liked it
Tamed by a Laird was a new genre for me to read. I enjoyed the Medieval Scottish dialogue and Scotts attention to detail.
Lyn
Oct 04, 2009 Lyn rated it really liked it
Scott has done a good job on the history of the period and the dialect is very well done. I also liked that it didn't feel like a twenty-first century heroine was dropped into the fourteenth.
Teri
Jul 18, 2009 Teri rated it it was ok
The only reason I picked up this book was because I met the author. I wasn't thrilled with the story or the book itself, but it was okay. It had potential.
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
May 15, 2013 ReadingToTheStarsAndBack rated it really liked it
Loved the romance! Thought that the deception (in other words, the clever bits.) was a bit hard to follow at times :)

Charlie xx
S.J.
Mar 10, 2016 S.J. rated it really liked it
I loved this book as i have other Amanda Scott, love how she pulls you in and it is hard to put the book down.
Linda
My only complaint is that it ended. I will definitely look for books by this author! I will write more later...
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2009
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Lindy
Lindy rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2010
kristen
kristen rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Tori
Tori rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2009
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Highlander Unbound (Lockhart Family, #1)
  • Only for a Knight (MacKenzie, #3)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • Once Upon a Highland Summer
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander, #3)
  • The Highlander (Graham-Lennox #1)
  • Beloved Highlander
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • Highland Warrior
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
Amanda Scott, USA Today Bestselling Author and winner of Romance Writers of America’s RITA/Golden Medallion (LORD ABBERLEY'S NEMESIS) and Romantic Times’ Awards for Best Regency Author and Best Sensual Regency (RAVENWOOD'S LADY), Lifetime Achievement (2007) and Best Scottish Historical (BORDER MOONLIGHT, 2008), began writing on a dare from her husband. She has sold every manuscript she has ...more
More about Amanda Scott...

Galloway Trilogy (3 books)
  • Seduced by a Rogue (Galloway Trilogy, #2)
  • Tempted by a Warrior (Galloway Trilogy, #3)