Start by marking “Inferno” as Want to Read:
Inferno

Inferno

Dante thinks high school is an earthly version of hell. She hates her new home in the suburbs, her best friend has moved away, her homeroom teacher mocks her and her mother is making her attend a social skills group for teenage girls. When a stranger shows up at school and hands Dante a flyer that reads: Woof, woof. You are not a dog. Why are you going to obedience school? ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Inferno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inferno

Steph Su
Apr 01, 2009 Steph Su rated it did not like it
INFERNO deals with an overwhelming number of issues in a way that leaves us unsatisfied. In the span of a little over 200 pages, Stevenson tries to deal with rebellion, parental misunderstanding, homosexuality, arson, unhealthy vs. healthy friendships…Whoa! There are probably more that I missed. Just one of these topics is something that deserves a book to itself. Cramming all of these into one book results in me feeling dissatisfied and cheated out of a better, more complete and fulfilling stor ...more
Samantha Boyette
Nov 09, 2012 Samantha Boyette rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book was nothing like I expected. I really thought it was going to be a fantasy having to do with Dante's Inferno. Oh well, shows how much I can tell looking at the cover.

Dante - who used to be Emily but recently changed her name - is not the most happy teenage girl on the planet. She hates her school and her best friend Beth moved away over the summer. Only Beth was more than a friend, but no one knows that.

When she meets a mysterious girl, Parker, outside the school, she finds herself dr
Kate
Feb 02, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
this was an interesting queer coming-of-age novel (but mostly just a snapshot of a few months of highschool). the story is not very complex, and is somewhat moralistic and depressing, but the characters are really interesting. it's the first time in a very long time that i've read a YA novel that didn't cast cookie-cutter, stereotypical, "i want to be you", type of highschool characters. The main character is constantly soul-searching, confused, lacking role-models, distrusting/hating grown-ups ...more
Elisabeth
Nov 10, 2011 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
This quick but satisfying read follows heart-broken Dante (her mom still insists upon calling her Emily) as she finally makes a few friends who might understand how she feels. Parker, James and Leo are rebellious in ways that excite and scare Dante. They don't go to school, and Parker and James even have their own apartment. Dante knows her well-meaning mother did not picture these people when she encouraged her to make some new friends, but these are people who understand how stifling school is ...more
Emily
May 20, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
I think I may have started out not wanting to like this book and that feeling only grew, especially when I figured out it was Canadian. (Grade 10, they don't go to college, they go to university, vague references to living in the big city, but no mention of what city - it was like this author really wanted this to be an American book and was trying to hide the Canadian references. Didn't work). I was hopeful at the end when I thought one thing would happen, but then it didn't. Dante(nee Emily)wa ...more
Marina Antunes
Sep 23, 2010 Marina Antunes rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed by introduction to Robin Stevenson. It's an interesting story which deals with quite a few "teen" issues in a mature, easy to digest way. I particularly liked Dante's struggle with being a good person while also rebelling against institutions while knowing that those institutions are, at the end of the day, going to help her become the person she wants to be.

Ends a little suddenly but overall, an enjoyable read.
Monica
Jan 27, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
This is an engaging book about a young girl (formerly named Emily) who is trying to find herself within an oppressive high school and disappointed mother. She has an interesting journey and although the content is a little mature (maybe 12+) the writing is very accessible. The book is written from Dante/Emily's point of view which was bang-on for the voice and age of the character.

Read my full review here: http://www.monniblog.com/2010/02/infe...
Alex
Mar 08, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Wow... OK where can i even begin to describe this book, first off let me say this was one of the only gay novels I've read that is more likely to actually happen in reality. I was attached to almost all the characters and being gay myself i found this very believable from cover-to-cover. Robin Stevenson kept me captivated during the entire book and holy crap, i loved every second of it!
Meranda MacAulay
May 20, 2014 Meranda MacAulay rated it really liked it
I really liked this book but only gave it 4 stars because i didn't really like then ending, it was a good ending just not the one i wanted,and i thought the book could of been longer, it felt to short but maybe i just wanted more :P. I loved Dante's character, she was very interesting and fun to read about,and her story was what i got into and just couldn't put it down. Overall a great book :)
Alexis
Dec 04, 2009 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Robin Stevenson is one of my favourite YA authors right now. Her books are fast paced and her characters are interesting. She manages to pack many issues into her books. I liked that this one was set in Victoria, featured conflicted characters and included arson.
Lisa

I wasn't too thrilled at the outcome of one of her friend’s choices but I do understand that in real life people make mistakes constantly I wish the outcome would have changed but then it wouldn't be as realistic.
Emma
Oct 05, 2010 Emma rated it liked it
The ending was a bit abrupt, I like Dante as a character, but wanted a bit more character development outside I hate my life and I might be a lesbian.
Melissa Wehunt
Inferno by Robin Stevenson (2009)
Shawna
Apr 20, 2012 Shawna rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-fiction
Carmen
Teenage years: maturation, rebellion, identity crisis, sense of belonging. All of the issues are experieced by Dante, a sixteen year old high school student. When I read books, I think of how I might be able to use them within the classroom. Although the teen issues are some that many students can relate to, because of Stevenson's intense use of language and some events in the book are really extreme, I would recommend this book be used for a book club. I wouldn't assign it as a class read. As e ...more
Sam Y.
Jul 22, 2012 Sam Y. rated it did not like it
This was a quick read, fortunately. The main character Dante is completely obnoxious and filled-to-the-brim with teen angst stereotypes. What the author fails to do is draw enough believable parallels between school and jail, and because this argument drives about 85% of the book, I found myself internally mocking all the characters.

It's not very realistic either: the characters don't feel very complete; they feel flat. The whole lesbian part of the story was casually tossed in, and it felt unn
Sara
May 08, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
I couldn't really get into this one, possibly because I couldn't relate to the main character. Dante is very angry about being forced to go to school, is a lesbian, and is quite rebellious at times. I would have never thought or done most of the things she does, so she was hard to relate with and also was quite frustrating to read about. The decision to commit arson came very quickly and then there was no real planning time... they just went out and did it. I found that a bit unrealistic, and al ...more
Daria
Jan 02, 2010 Daria rated it it was ok
This would be a 2.5 for me. It was an OK read, but I never really felt connected to the characters. There also seemed to be too many "issues" packed into this fairly short story. It left me me feeling like none of them were ever fully explored or developed.
Kate
Apr 05, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
I don't even think I finished this book because it made me terribly uncomfortable. The amount of rebellious behavior was very un-relatable for me and it all was without real reason.
Christy
Nov 30, 2009 Christy rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Meh - too many things trying to be addressed in one tiny little book. I liked the main character Dante but she made some dumb choices for a very smart girl.
Daniella Benetton
Jul 10, 2015 Daniella Benetton rated it it was amazing
This is one of my must-have books. I've taken it out from the library at least a dozen times, no joke.
Morgan
May 08, 2013 Morgan rated it it was ok
A well-written book with a good starting point that ultimately ended in a non-climatic way with shallow, unlikable characters.
Nat
Jul 14, 2011 Nat rated it did not like it
The main character (Dante) was annoying and whiney. The themes could have been explored in a much better way. Nothing special about this book.
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2009
Westcoast_girl
Westcoast_girl rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2013
Chelsa
Chelsa rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2015
Peri
Peri rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Nicky Odujirin
Nicky Odujirin rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2012
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2011
  • Another Kind of Cowboy
  • Mistik Lake
  • Becoming Bobbie
  • 365 Days
  • Crisis on Conshelf Ten (Crisis on Conshelf Ten, #1)
  • Girl Mans Up
  • Big Big Sky
  • Sketches
  • Sister Mischief
  • earthgirl
  • The Music Box (Instruments of War)
  • True Lies: The Book Of Bad Advice
Robin Stevenson is an award winning Canadian author of 20 books for teens and children. Her newest book is her first work of non-fiction-- PRIDE: CELEBRATING DIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY ( 2016). Robin lives on the west coast of Canada, with her partner and son. When she isn't writing, she edits books and teaches creative writing classes and workshops.
More about Robin Stevenson...