Start by marking “Last Guardian (Jon Shannow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Guardian (Jon Shannow, #2)

Last Guardian (Jon Shannow #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,017 ratings  ·  16 reviews
"David Gemmell tells a tale of very real adventure, the stuff of true epic fantasy."
--R.A. Salvatore, New York Times Bestselling author

While the Earth quaked, a deadly power burst forth from ancient Atlantis. For the gate of time had been torn open, freeing a cataclysmic evil.

Only the last guardian, Jon Shannow, the legendary pistoleer, could shut the deadly portal. But to
Published May 28th 1997 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Last Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Guardian

Dan 1.0
Jul 18, 2010 Dan 1.0 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower Fans
I'm just going to say right off that I'm really digging the Jon Shannow books. The Last Guardian is even better than the first volume, Wolf in Shadow. Jon Shannow, while on his endless search for Jerusalem, encounters a young single mother of two, a young gunfighter who wants a reputation at Shannow's expense, reptilian warriors, Atlanteans, a fiery preacher called The Parson, and the Sword of God. Much more background is given to Shannow's post apocalyptic world, fleshing it out, as well as giv ...more
Ann
I wish that there were more books by you to read!! It will be a sad day for me once I come upon the very last book that you have ever written!! Mr. David, they aren't enough words in the English language to express what an amazing writer you are!! I wish that you were still alive to this day, to write some more amazing novels!!
Ash
One and a half stars.

I should have stopped with Wolf in Shadow. It had its own ending that I found mostly satisfying, there was no real reason to continue. But I did, and this is the result.

The Last Guardian has all the regular Gemmell hallmarks, and if you like them, you'll probably like this. I'll admit there are still certain aspects of his storytelling that I find compelling, but they grower fewer with each of his books that I read. It doesn't help that much of the post-apocalyptic nature of
Mayank Agarwal
Better then the first book of the series. This one improves on it's predecessor by bringing in time travel with other worlds and species. The setting of Atlantis and it's evil ruler ties up the series perfectly.

The book ends with a bang. I didn't see the ending coming, it was so awesome. Must be the best ending Gemmell has given yet in any of his books.
Andrew Jewell
Ahhhhh I love this series!!! It only gets better!! The story does not fizzle at all the poor reviews couldn't be farther from the truth! Although I enjoyed the sadness of the first book and how lonely and depressing it ended for Jon Shannow, I didn't mind the feel good ending of book two!
Brian Turner
The second of the Jon Shannow novels. It starts right from where book one finished.
This one involves element of time travel, and jumps back and forth between the old Atlantis and the new world which Shannow now inhabits.

Lots of interesting characters and the plot moves along at a good pace.
Mike Moak
I just have to say, I have really enjoyed Gemmell's books. I've read most of them now and have enjoyed them all. The characters he writes are so vivid and often humorous in a dry and clever way. I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but I just love the way this author uses bits and pieces of our cultural legends and stories in his work. The Jon Shannow series does this with the Bible, weaving the classic stories children learn in Sunday school into the story. Mr. Gemmell doesn't strike me as a Christian i ...more
Nethound
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The John Shannow books were an interesting excursion. An odd post-apocalyptic/fantasy setting that had some very interesting ideas and cool story lines.

John Shannow was always a little too Clint Eastwood cool for my tastes, brooding and mysterious. Not until the end of the series did I ever find out enough about him to really care deeply for him.

All the same, I enjoyed the books and odd settings, just wish the main character had been a little more engaging at times.
Artem Gordon
At first I would give this book 3 stars because the storyline was very short, but then I would bump it up to 3.5 stars because the main character is still developing very well with the occuring events. Eventually, when I got to the 'grand finale' ending, I found it to be a very unique twist that will def brought this sequel up to 4 stars. Jon Shannow's enemies need to start wearing helmets already when facing him.
Debby Allen
Gemmell has hit his stride. The shades of grey are nuanced, the story moves along with just the right touch of mysticism. I know what's coming in Bloodstone; Last Guardian is the best of the Sipstrassi. Shannow is damn near perfect.

Interesting that I read this next to Owen Meany - both so strongly about destiny and whether you can change your path or just accept it.
Zenodotus
Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name takes on the time-travelling warrior-wizards of Atlantis with Bible and six-shooter in a post-apocalyptic world. Fun, but lacks the pace and engaging supporting casts found in Gemmell's best work. Also includes an ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE explanation for the Bermuda Triangle. Yes, really. *Coughs*
Charles
I hesitated a bit at reading the Jon Shannow books because they looked like they'd be in a more modern setting, and they are, with guns. However, I came to like the Shannow character as well as any of Gemmell's heroes and much enjoyed the whole set of Shannow books.
Josh Meares
While Jon Shannow's character changes a lot in this book, there is still a lot to like about him. And the book continues to deal with the complexities of good and evil.
Paul
These just don't grab me like his other series do. I'd stick with the Rigante before picking up another Jon Shannow book.. :-/
Aven
Demons. Badass guy. Guns. Fight for you life. YESSSSSS!
Livia
Livia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Ash Catton
Ash Catton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
  • The Wordsmiths and the Warguild (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #2)
  • First Amendment (Stargate SG-1 #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Tetrarch: A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • Rage of a Demon King (The Serpentwar Saga, #3)
  • Mother of Storms
  • The Demon King (The Seer King Trilogy, #2)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Lord of Lies (The Ea Cycle, #3)
  • The Sardonyx Net
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Birthgrave (Birthgrave, #1)
  • Loose Ends
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

Jon Shannow (3 books)
  • Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow, #1)
  • Bloodstone (Jon Shannow, #3)
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)