Start by marking “Last Guardian (Jon Shannow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Guardian (Jon Shannow, #2)

Last Guardian (Jon Shannow #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,549 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"David Gemmell tells a tale of very real adventure, the stuff of true epic fantasy."
--R.A. Salvatore, New York Times Bestselling author

While the Earth quaked, a deadly power burst forth from ancient Atlantis. For the gate of time had been torn open, freeing a cataclysmic evil.

Only the last guardian, Jon Shannow, the legendary pistoleer, could shut the deadly portal. But to
Published May 28th 1997 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Last Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Guardian

Dan Schwent
Jul 18, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower Fans
I'm just going to say right off that I'm really digging the Jon Shannow books. The Last Guardian is even better than the first volume, Wolf in Shadow. Jon Shannow, while on his endless search for Jerusalem, encounters a young single mother of two, a young gunfighter who wants a reputation at Shannow's expense, reptilian warriors, Atlanteans, a fiery preacher called The Parson, and the Sword of God. Much more background is given to Shannow's post apocalyptic world, fleshing it out, as well as giv ...more
Reggie Kray
One of the finest writers ever. The excessive bible scripture ruined this series for me. I am not saying the writing was not exceptional. Just not my cup of tea. I refuse to rate this because I have MAD RESPECT for Mr.Gemmell's work.
Oct 04, 2016 Helena rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
You can read my review here:

2 stars
Mike Moak
Mar 24, 2015 Mike Moak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I just have to say, I have really enjoyed Gemmell's books. I've read most of them now and have enjoyed them all. The characters he writes are so vivid and often humorous in a dry and clever way. I'm not a huge fantasy fan, but I just love the way this author uses bits and pieces of our cultural legends and stories in his work. The Jon Shannow series does this with the Bible, weaving the classic stories children learn in Sunday school into the story. Mr. Gemmell doesn't strike me as a Christian i ...more
Jun 02, 2015 Ash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One and a half stars.

I should have stopped with Wolf in Shadow. It had its own ending that I found mostly satisfying, there was no real reason to continue. But I did, and this is the result.

The Last Guardian has all the regular Gemmell hallmarks, and if you like them, you'll probably like this. I'll admit there are certain aspects of his storytelling that I still find compelling, but they grower fewer with each of his books that I read. It doesn't help that much of the post-apocalyptic nature of
Feb 11, 2014 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish that there were more books by you to read!! It will be a sad day for me once I come upon the very last book that you have ever written!! Mr. David, they aren't enough words in the English language to express what an amazing writer you are!! I wish that you were still alive to this day, to write some more amazing novels!!
Clint Eastwood's The Man With No Name takes on the time-travelling warrior-wizards of Atlantis with Bible and six-shooter in a post-apocalyptic world. Fun, but lacks the pace and engaging supporting casts found in Gemmell's best work. Also includes an ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE explanation for the Bermuda Triangle. Yes, really. *Coughs*
May 05, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Though this is billed as a Stones of Power Novel, the first two novels in this series is set in one era and these are set in another. There is some crossover, but the only thing the reader really needs to know is the stones of power's history etc. and that is covered adequately in book three and four. In other words, Goodreads marks these books properly by identifying them as Jon Shanow # 1 and # 2. Perhaps in later books, a reason to have read the first two books (set in ancient times) but for ...more
John B.
Mar 16, 2016 John B. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Last Guardian comes across as a sequel to a book that wasn't expected to be as popular as it was. Wolf in Shadow had its own ending that was mostly satisfying, there was no real reason to continue.

About two-thirds of the way through this book the reader gets a sense that the author has grown tired of guns because they don't fuel action story telling the way a sword fight might. Szshark, the leader of the reptilian warriors known as the Daggers, comments on guns: "Gunss! Loud noisses. Kill ve
Mar 08, 2016 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
THE LAST GUARDIAN is the second of the Jon Shannow trilogy, following on from WOLF IN SHADOW. These novels are actually set in a post-apocalyptic world rather than a fantasy one, which means they're a rare foray into science fiction for the author.

However, Gemmells fans will soon see plenty of recognisable elements in the narrative, from ruthless killers to initially stereotypical character types who grow and surprise you throughout. There are plenty of western tropes here and the author has gre
Jul 22, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
David Gemmell is my favorite fantasy writer. Every time I'm in UK I try to pick up some of his stories that I haven't read. So on my trip to Scotland a week ago I picked up this.

The last Guardian is the second book about John Shannow. This is a story that happens in a world that is recovering from an apocalypse. This book has lots of the tropes that are present in all of David Gemmell's work:
this has the lone, older stubborn warrior, in this case it is even a gunslinger, it has the beautiful, i
Artem Gordon
Aug 03, 2013 Artem Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I would give this book 3 stars because the storyline was very short, but then I would bump it up to 3.5 stars because the main character is still developing very well with the occuring events. Eventually, when I got to the 'grand finale' ending, I found it to be a very unique twist that will def brought this sequel up to 4 stars. Jon Shannow's enemies need to start wearing helmets already when facing him.
by Ax
Apr 06, 2016 by Ax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastico
Cerchi si chiudono

Secondo volume della Saga delle Sipstrassi, superiore al primo in complessità e fascinazione, sia per quanto riguarda la personalità solitaria e ombrosa del protagonista, sia per la trama, guadagnandoci in termini di ampiezza e profondità e restituendo un universo fantastico correlato ad alcuni aspetti del mondo biblico che ci è stato tramandato.
Gemmell sa narrare e intrattenere, nonostante alcune ingenuità ideologiche nei dialoghi.
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
The John Shannow books were an interesting excursion. An odd post-apocalyptic/fantasy setting that had some very interesting ideas and cool story lines.

John Shannow was always a little too Clint Eastwood cool for my tastes, brooding and mysterious. Not until the end of the series did I ever find out enough about him to really care deeply for him.

All the same, I enjoyed the books and odd settings, just wish the main character had been a little more engaging at times.
Mayank Agarwal
Better then the first book of the series. This one improves on it's predecessor by bringing in time travel with other worlds and species. The setting of Atlantis and it's evil ruler ties up the series perfectly.

The book ends with a bang. I didn't see the ending coming, it was so awesome. Must be the best ending Gemmell has given yet in any of his books.
Debby Allen
Dec 17, 2010 Debby Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gemmell has hit his stride. The shades of grey are nuanced, the story moves along with just the right touch of mysticism. I know what's coming in Bloodstone; Last Guardian is the best of the Sipstrassi. Shannow is damn near perfect.

Interesting that I read this next to Owen Meany - both so strongly about destiny and whether you can change your path or just accept it.
J Arlock
Pulp fiction in its truest form (that's a good thing by the way). Gemmell books are filled with familiar characters, familiar situations, and little in the way of deeper meaning. I love them for that. This book is no different, if you've read Gemmell, you've already ready this book, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't revisit it. Heroes and adventure, light and easy.
Jul 28, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I hesitated a bit at reading the Jon Shannow books because they looked like they'd be in a more modern setting, and they are, with guns. However, I came to like the Shannow character as well as any of Gemmell's heroes and much enjoyed the whole set of Shannow books.
Brian Turner
Mar 14, 2014 Brian Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
The second of the Jon Shannow novels. It starts right from where book one finished.
This one involves element of time travel, and jumps back and forth between the old Atlantis and the new world which Shannow now inhabits.

Lots of interesting characters and the plot moves along at a good pace.
Andrew Jewell
Jan 16, 2015 Andrew Jewell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhhh I love this series!!! It only gets better!! The story does not fizzle at all the poor reviews couldn't be farther from the truth! Although I enjoyed the sadness of the first book and how lonely and depressing it ended for Jon Shannow, I didn't mind the feel good ending of book two!
Josh Meares
While Jon Shannow's character changes a lot in this book, there is still a lot to like about him. And the book continues to deal with the complexities of good and evil.
Feb 11, 2009 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These just don't grab me like his other series do. I'd stick with the Rigante before picking up another Jon Shannow book.. :-/
Hugh Melrose
Hugh Melrose rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2009
Steven Scoular
Steven Scoular rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
Rodney rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Jim rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2009
Pwx rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Sammy rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2009
James Reid
James Reid rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2010
  • First Amendment (Stargate SG-1 #3)
  • Lord of Lies (The Ea Cycle, #3)
  • Tetrarch: A Tale Of The Three Worlds (The Well of Echoes, #2)
  • The Seer King (The Seer King Trilogy, #1)
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • The Hidden City (The Tamuli, #3)
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • The World Wreckers (Darkover, #22)
  • Chosen of the Gods (Dragonlance: Kingpriest, #1)
  • The Messenger (Dragonlance: Icewall, #1)
  • Loose Ends
  • Forgotten Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle, #1)
  • Aliens: Genocide (Aliens)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

Jon Shannow (3 books)
  • Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow, #1)
  • Bloodstone (Jon Shannow, #3)

“Jon Shannow, the King of Kings has spoken the words of your death. I am Rhodaeul the Hunter. Do you have anything to say before you die?’ ‘No,’ said Shannow, palming his gun and blasting Rhodaeul from the saddle. The Atlantean hit the ground hard, a hammering pain in his chest; he tried to draw his pistol, but Shannow rode forward and fired a second shot that smashed his skull.” 1 likes
“the Betweeners must have known their time was short. Why else would they poison their rivers and streams, strip away the forests that gave them air and pollute their own bodies with toxins and carcinogens?” 1 likes