Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #6)

Soarer's Choice (Corean Chronicles #6)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  927 ratings  ·  14 reviews
L.E. Modesitt, Jr. returns to the world of Corus and concludes the trilogy of the intertwined stories of Dainyl, the Alector, and Mykel, the native soldier, which began in Alector's Choice and Cadmian's Choice.
The civilization of the Alectors, which has farmed and developed all life on Corus to produce sustaining life force for their vampiric civilization, must move who
Published (first published 2006)

Laurence Burke
In the third book of this prequel, we finally learn the reasons behind the Machiavellian scheming of the various alectors high in the government. The underlying situation comes to a head, and the two sides finally sort out against each other. Dainyl has learned much in his unintended rise to power, both the knowledge and the power coming from the many attacks on him by other alectors.

Meanwhile, Mykel and his battalion are trying to put down a rebellion of "hill people" in a backwater of the nati...more
Jorge Desormeaux
I enjoyed the trilogy, but each book felt weaker than the previous one. While the first two books may have merited 3.5 to 4 stars, I'm not willing to give this one more than 3. Modesitt has a knack for creating interesting worlds and supernatural frameworks, but he's just not as good at spinning a yarn about people. Concretely, the following things turned me off:

* The ending of the book will be evident to any observant reader, and should have been obvious to one of the main characters (Dainyl) a...more
Dallas
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and...more
Joy
The last 3 books in this series are a prequel to the first three. It rounds out the culture, personality and motives of the "Ifrit" antagonist that use the life force of a world to fuel their magic. Humans are cattle to them but produce said life force so are a necessary evil.

The story borders on SyFy and I'm only partially engaged in the story but dogged enough that I want to finish it. The author suffers from the same "paid by the word" syndrome that too many exhibit these days. Large amounts...more
Lyn
This is the end, I think of this Corean Chronicles. We get to help Dainyl hone his Green Talent, while wondering if Mykel and his love interest will ever just break down and make out.
We get to experience Dainyl quick rise through the ranks of power.
This planet makes me wonder what our sky would look like if it were a green-silver with 2 moons, one of which is green.
Alice
Would've given it 4 stars, except Mykel's whole storyline felt very unnecessary to this book. I understand why it was there (Mykel was in the other two of the series and readers would want to know where he ended up), but his actions just weren't that important to the overall story. But Dainyl's plot-line was excellently handled. Overall, an all right conclusion to the trilogy.
Cathy S
as usual Modesitt leaves me wishing there was more and not in a good way....good premises, good characters, very flawed development, progress or action...I dont recommend to others, although I keep giving the author a try...this is my 3rd series of his....read but not recommended
Jill
Ok, but like many of Modesitt's books, it ends rather abruptly. It was interesting to see how the characters tie in with the protagonists in the previous trilogy.
Hershel Shipman
Not bad finish to the prequel trilogy. Much of the origins of the Lord-Protector, and herders are explained. Also what happened to all of the ifrits.
Lisa
Suitable conclusion to the Corean Chronicles. The ending was not my favorite, slow in parts but overall I enjoyed it.
Craig
Re-read. The best of the second Corean trilogy. Moves right along, in fact the ending happens a little *too* quickly.
Uriah
The Recluse saga is better developed and gives many of the same plot points.
Steve
Corean Chronicles
Bill
Hope there is more
Joanne G.
Joanne G. marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Shekhar
Shekhar marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Jul 27, 2014
Ellena
Ellena marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Triumphryder
Triumphryder marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jamie O
Jamie O marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Seeds of Betrayal (Winds of the Forelands, #2)
  • Master of the Cauldron (Lord of the Isles, #6)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • The Wizard Lord (Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • A Cruel Wind (Dread Empire, #1-3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Rulers of the Darkness (Darkness, #4)
  • Mage of Clouds (The Cloudmages, Book 2)
  • Petrodor (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #2)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • The Devil's Armor (The Bronze Knight, #2)
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Ravensoul (Legends of the Raven, #4)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u...more
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)