Invincible, Vol. 11: Happy Days

Invincible, Vol. 11: Happy Days (Invincible #11)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  547 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Invincible and Atom Eve are dating at last - but Mark has just recently moved back in with his mom and half brother. To make matters worse, Mark finds himself staring down the deadliest bunch of villains he's faced thus far - including The Astounding Wolf-Man Collects Invincible #54-59 and The Astounding Wolf-Man #11.
Published August 25th 2009 by Image Comics (first published July 29th 2009)

Michael Church
The parts of this book that were meh were very meh. The parts that were great were very great. Overall it's an average book, largely because it's a collection of in between stories and not an overarching narrative.

The first couple of stories were pretty weak and had some forced drama for Mark and the crew. Then we're treated to another Allen the Alien issue (again because Mark's activities needed to be censored - something I find hilarious) that picks up where we left him and it's a great ride....more
Eric
Nov 27, 2009 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This was fun to read and I can see how its laying out the pieces on the board for something big to happen. I didn't really feel the mounting tension, though, which I think was intentional. The title, "Happy Days," kind of sums it up with a breather from deep emotional pain. Even the bad guys don't seem as bad.

I wonder a lot why there seems to be a stigma against happy stories (or music, for that matter). I think its harder to find a good one than a good thriller or painful drama. I guess for the...more
Arminzerella
Thomas Moudry
There's lots to like in this Invincible collection, including Invincible and Atom Eve becoming heroes-for-hire, the returns of Allen the Alien and Omni-Man, and a cool team-up/crossover with The Astounding Wolf-Man. Despite the sometimes bloody battles with super-villains, Invincible full of fun; it's a frothy blend of super-heroics and soap opera—not unlike Marvel in better days.
Brad
Another in-between collection for Invincible, with a set of small stories as well as plenty of story points dangling for bigger stuff down the road. The first issue is the best, cementing the Invincible/Atom Eve relationship. There's a two-issue The Astounding Wolf-Man crossover that's fine, though I'm unfamiliar with the character. Amusingly, both covers feature the two heroes brawling, yet they don't fight in the actual story. In the background, the Allen the Alien/Omni-Man, ex-Teen Team/Guard...more
Lance Howard
A mush mash of stories, ranging from Omni-Man and Allen the Alien's escape from the Viltrumites to Powerplex doing the unthinkable while trying to get revenge on Invincible. We also get a crossover with the Astounding Wolf-Man, Amanda gets great news about her monstrous condition, Rus Livingston has more Sequids (seriously, does this guy not have any friends who check up on him?), and we find out who's been spying on Invincible.

The only thing wrong for me is the lack of one main story. It goes b...more
Hyzenthlay
THAT DATE! I wonder if my husband is secretly a superhero and that's why he's late for everything?
Fizzgig76
Reprints Invincible #54-59 and Astounding Wolf-Man #11. Invincible meets the Astounding Wolf-Man, and the secret that the Vitrumites have been hiding is exposed by Nolan. Invincible continues to be a solid story, but as collections, it doesn't work as well. This collection is kind of bogged down by the obligatory cross over with Kirkman's failing Astounding Wolf-Man which takes up two issues.
Adam
Another great collection. Kirkman nails the characteres again and expands the universe bby crossing over his Wolfman with Invincible. We also get to see how powerful Allen is and the relationship he forges with Nolan. Kirkman handles the subtle moments of yong love and dealing with family just as well as the big action. This is definitely a winning combionation of writer, art, and characters.
Jeffrey
Mark and Samantha finally get some time together as a couple in this eleventh volume of the Invincible series. While they get their time together, we visit some other events as Allen and Nolan escape from their Viltrumite prison and see the impact Invincible has in his ongoing catastrophic battles. Sort of a lull and set-up for future volumes, but entertaining nonetheless.
Nico
Dec 28, 2012 Nico added it
Volume 11 is a welcome addition to the Invincible line. We see the beginnings of the working relationship between Omni-Man and Allen the Alien and Invincible taking his romance with Atom Eve to the next level,verbally and physically. Sadness, levity, and superhero derring-do are all here.
Ian
Water-treading, except for the issue which I assume is included to entice me into reading 'the Astounding Wolf-Man,' but really only annoys me that a title character is treading water in someone else's book.
Shannon Appelcline
Another fun, relatively low-key volume. The highlights are the interactions with Eve and the issue starring Allen the Alien. The two-parter with Wolf-Man feels much more irrelevant, which it is.
Joe
This is what comics should be...
Devin
Devin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Shayna Ross
Shayna Ross marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Powers, Vol. 7: Forever
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 2
  • Powers, Vol. 5: Anarchy
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Volume 6
  • The Sword, Volume 3: Earth
  • Ultra: Seven Days
Robert Kirkman is an American comic book writer best known for his work on The Walking Dead, Invincible for Image Comics, as well as Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Zombies for Marvel Comics. He has also collaborated with Image Comics co-founder Todd McFarlane on the series Haunt. He is one of the five partners of Image Comics, and the only one of the five who was not one of the original co-founders of...more
More about Robert Kirkman...
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 The Walking Dead, Book One The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer The Walking Dead, Vol. 02: Miles Behind Us