Start by marking “La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)

La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia) (Spanish Edition)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  9 reviews
El budismo zen se introdujo en un principio en Japon como la religion de los samurais o la clase militar, configurando el caracter de muchos destacados soldados y estadistas. Pero este hecho de todos conocido se entendera mejor si se lee este libro, donde se explica que la disciplina mental del zen equilibra la mente haciendo que uno no sea apasionado ni desapasionado, ni ...more
Published April 30th 2005 by Ediciones Paidos Iberica (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Religion De Los Samurai (Paidos Orientalia)

Doug
Very thought provoking book with essays on the mind, morality, nature and origins of man.
Daniel Silveyra
This is one of those free books on the Kindle (and the web), by the way.

If the first 150 or so pages are any indication of the rest of the book, then the title may be a little misleading. If you are interested mainly in the Samurai class and your interest in their religion is mainly due to this, you will be disappointed. If you are interested in Zen Buddhism, this might be more your cup of tea.

I was of the first kind of reader, but the introduction to the Zen school at the beginning of the book
Katie S
I have recently read a book called The Religion of the Samurai by Kaiten Nukariya. This book was about where the religion of the Samurai came from. I think this is a boring book and I didn’t enjoy reading it.

The point of this book was to inform us about what the religion of the Samurai was and how it came to be the way it is now. The author was trying to tell us about a religion called Zen. I felt that it was good to know about other religions, but I didn’t understand much of the book.

I didn’
Doug
WOW ... what a struggle!

The version that I read was a freebie e-book version from Amazon. The way the book was digitized made for a very aggravating read, and it took me well over half way through the book before I realized that my confusion was being caused by the way the footnotes appeared. Once I figured out how this was done I was able to set a good pace with it and it was almost enjoyable ... almost!

As with most books that you read originating from the Far East, the first part of the book i
Ardeth Baxter
Needs a cleanup

As happens with a lot of these free Amazon ebooks, there are lots of typos and major disorganization. The book itself is quite fascinating if a bit confusing about just what Zen is. But a part of that confusion is because of the poor layout, with footnotes thrown in right after sections of text. It's messy.
Dani Lane
This will be the first book I read on my new iPad. Finally finished this snoozer. It was filled with names (Chinese and Japanese) and was very hard to read. I thought it would be an explanation of the philosophy, but if you go by the information here, the philosophy is that there is no philosophy. The author's view on the religion is offered near the end of the book, but by then I was so confused about Buddhism, Confucianism and Zen that I didn't want to add his opinions to the muddle. I'm still ...more
R.
i read 3% of this book and stopped after i realized i would never understand it. i became so tripped up in trying to pronounce the names and terms that i often forgot the premise of the present sentence i was reading. maybe i just don't know as much about buddhism as i thought i did, and need to take a crash course on it before i could understand this book. perhaps actual buddhists would find this to be a good read. not for le, though..
Ben
This book is quite a good overview of Zen Buddhism, although it has nothing to do with Samurai.
The first chapter is very heavy going, with lots of names and footnotes, but also isn't especially necessary for the remainder of the book. The remaining chapters are easier to read and give some good insights into the principles of Zen Buddhism such as the view on mindfulness and meditation.
E Taylor
Nov 13, 2011 E Taylor is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
research for first novel
Jessi Caldwell
Jessi Caldwell marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Jb Richard
Jb Richard marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jeramiah Giehl
Jeramiah Giehl marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Boris Ilkov
Boris Ilkov is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Patrice
Patrice marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Hillary Herlehy
Hillary Herlehy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
George M Fraser
George M Fraser marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Milos KOVACIK
Milos KOVACIK marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Vidhya
Vidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Mia Burgess
Mia Burgess is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
  • An Account of Egypt
  • The Compass of Zen
  • The Religion of the Ancient Celts
  • The Einstein Theory of Relativity
  • Tales of Old Japan: Folklore, Fairy Tales, Ghost Stories and Legends of the Samurai
  • Love, Sex & Tragedy: How the Ancient World Shapes Our Lives
  • Sacred Books of the East
  • The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma
  • Pagan and Christian Creeds: Their Origin and Meaning
  • Secrets of the Wolf (The Pack, #4)
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • Popular Tales from the Norse
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
Istoria zenului: doctrina și practica zen în China și Japonia Istoria zenului: doctrina și practica zen în China și Japonia THE RELIGION OF THE SAMURAI (Annotated) The Religion of the Samurai: A Study of Zen Philosophy in China and Japan The Religion of the Samurai

“If the primitive faith be called the genuine, as these scholars think, and the later developed faith be the degenerated one,” 0 likes
“Zen is completely free from the fetters of old dogmas, dead creeds, and conventions of stereotyped past, that check the development of a religious faith and prevent the discovery of a new truth. Zen needs no Inquisition. It never compelled nor will compel the compromise of a Galileo or a Descartes. No excommunication of a Spinoza or the burning of a Bruno is possible for Zen.” 0 likes