Fighting for Dear Life: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo and What It Means for All of Us

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  15 reviews
David Gibbs took a leap of faith in 2003 when Bob and Mary Schindler, Terri Schiavo's parents, asked him to represent them in their desperate battle to save their daughter's life. Taking the case, Gibbs embarked on a compelling journey that would forever change his life. He watched Terri fade away in her final days and was with Mary Schindler the last time she saw Terri al...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers

Ayame Sohma
Vultures Preying on Tragedy

Terri Schiavo was not "disabled." She was brain dead. That's just the tip of the iceberg in this pile of journalistic malpractice. David Gibbs is staunchly religious (hardly surprising) and a devoted Christian. So why does he violate the 9th commandment so blatantly? Why lie about Terri's blindness? Is it just to make a quick buck? Is it to promote an anti-choice agenda that will likely lead to living wills and enduring powers of attorney being disregarded forever? Pro...more
Jason
Every single one of us has a terminal body. Some of just have healthier terminal bodies. And some of us--like my newborn son--need substantial assistance to do something as simple as eating.

I don't expect the state of Iowa to order the withholding of nutrition to my son. But that is what the state of Florida--or, rather, one unchecked judge in Florida--ordered for someone else who could not feed herself: Terri Schiavo.

David Gibbs represented Terri Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, in th...more
Megan
I appreciate the personal reasons Mr. Gibbs has for choosing the cases in which he fights for as an attorney, including that of Terri Schiavo's parents. That said, his personal religious and political beliefs riddled this book far more than it should have. We're not talking just for this case. We're talking everything from abortion to the right to die laws in a few states and everything in between.
Please, Mr. Gibbs, quit trying to preach to the reader. Stick to the story. While you're at it, sti...more
Hannah
What a moving book! David Gibbs, the attorney who fought for Terri Schiavo's life, tells Terri's story, why he fought for her, and what a sad and sick thing it was that she was put to death. David Gibbs unlocks secrets that were kept concerning Terri's state of health, and tells the truth about everything that was lied about. I think I benefited from reading this book, and I'm proud of how God used Mr. Gibbs in Terri's life as well as her family's. I recommend it for ages 15+
Kathleen
Not much in to books like this, but I saw this at the library and decided to check it out. WOW. It reminded me, once again, that what we see/hear in the media is not always truthful or factual. This story was/is just sad all around and, if you read it, you will still have your opinion if what happened was right or wrong.......but it was a good, thought provoking read.
Becky
This is a book everyone should read! Yes, its sad, yes, you'll cry. (But all of us SHOULD weep for the incredible wrong that was done to Terri S. and her family). And- think very hard about the callous passivity much of our American moral culture has acquired.
Seth E.
A book that will prompt thought about the issue of "pulling the plug" of people who are terminally ill and on life support. While it could be a tearjerker for some people, I would still recommend it.
Sue
Not necessarily the best written book, however, the story is amazing.
I think every American needs to read this book to discover what really happened...
Courtney
heavy read. Heart-wrenching. Makes you think about a lot of difficult things and challenges you to plan for the future
Megan
I was very compelled by Terri Schiavo's case, but not by the writing of this book. Too much repetition.
Debra
Very one sided however it motivated me into research and then another book on the same case!
Gina Hott
The book was compelling but so very heart wrenching.
Mskathy1031
No one will ever know the truth of what really happened
Cody
Good book for those that are pro-life.
Ruth
Apr 09, 2012 Ruth added it
Absolutely a great book.
Ivoree Malcom
Ivoree Malcom marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Deb Desarmeaux
Deb Desarmeaux marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Elizabeth Nelson
Elizabeth Nelson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
J
J marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Elizabeth Hermesch
Elizabeth Hermesch marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Understanding The Constitution: Ten Things Every Christian Should Know About The Supreme Law Of The Land First Do No Harm: Humanitarian Intervention and the Destruction of Yugoslavia Pigeons and Doves: A Guide to the Pigeons and Doves of the World Computer Numerically Controlled Part Programming Local Economic Development and the Environment