Start by marking “Fighting for Dear Life: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo and What It Means for All of Us” as Want to Read:

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
David Gibbs took a leap of faith in 2003 when Bob and Mary Schindler, Terri Schiavo's parents, asked him to represent them in their desperate battle to save their daughter's life. Taking the case, Gibbs embarked on a compelling journey that would forever change his life. He watched Terri fade away in her final days and was with Mary Schindler the last time she saw Terri al ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Fighting for Dear Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting for Dear Life

Jason
Apr 02, 2015 Jason rated it it was amazing
Every single one of us has a terminal body. Some of us just have healthier terminal bodies. And some of us--like my newborn son--need substantial assistance to do something as simple as eating.

I don't expect the state of Iowa to order the withholding of nutrition to my son. But that is what the state of Florida--or, rather, one unchecked judge in Florida--ordered for someone else who could not feed herself: Terri Schiavo.

David Gibbs represented Terri Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, in
Donna
Jul 20, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
A frightening story of a woman who, although she could understand conversation and respond with facial expressions, was deemed by her husband to be a vegetable and taken by his instruction off life support.

She died a horrible death from dehydration, much more painful than starvation.

If there is any lesson to be learned from this, it is that individuals should be able to write their living wills to give rights to people whom they trust rather than to people who automatically have these rights bec
Becky
Mar 30, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
This is a book everyone should read! Yes, its sad, yes, you'll cry. (But all of us SHOULD weep for the incredible wrong that was done to Terri S. and her family). And- think very hard about the callous passivity much of our American moral culture has acquired.
Winston
Apr 18, 2014 Winston rated it did not like it
Vultures Preying on Tragedy

Terri Schiavo was not "disabled." She was brain dead. That's just the tip of the iceberg in this pile of journalistic malpractice. David Gibbs is staunchly religious (hardly surprising) and a devoted Christian. So why does he violate the 9th commandment so blatantly? Why lie about Terri's blindness? Is it just to make a quick buck? Is it to promote an anti-choice agenda that will likely lead to living wills and enduring powers of attorney being disregarded forever? Pro
Megan
Nov 17, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
I appreciate the personal reasons Mr. Gibbs has for choosing the cases in which he fights for as an attorney, including that of Terri Schiavo's parents. That said, his personal religious and political beliefs riddled this book far more than it should have. We're not talking just for this case. We're talking everything from abortion to the right to die laws in a few states and everything in between.
Please, Mr. Gibbs, quit trying to preach to the reader. Stick to the story. While you're at it, sti
Hannah
Dec 13, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it
What a moving book! David Gibbs, the attorney who fought for Terri Schiavo's life, tells Terri's story, why he fought for her, and what a sad and sick thing it was that she was put to death. David Gibbs unlocks secrets that were kept concerning Terri's state of health, and tells the truth about everything that was lied about. I think I benefited from reading this book, and I'm proud of how God used Mr. Gibbs in Terri's life as well as her family's. I recommend it for ages 15+
Kathleen
Apr 20, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Not much in to books like this, but I saw this at the library and decided to check it out. WOW. It reminded me, once again, that what we see/hear in the media is not always truthful or factual. This story was/is just sad all around and, if you read it, you will still have your opinion if what happened was right or wrong.......but it was a good, thought provoking read.
Seth E.
Aug 11, 2012 Seth E. rated it really liked it
A book that will prompt thought about the issue of "pulling the plug" of people who are terminally ill and on life support. While it could be a tearjerker for some people, I would still recommend it.
Sue
Oct 01, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
Not necessarily the best written book, however, the story is amazing.
I think every American needs to read this book to discover what really happened...
Courtney
Apr 15, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
heavy read. Heart-wrenching. Makes you think about a lot of difficult things and challenges you to plan for the future
Megan
Jun 06, 2011 Megan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very compelled by Terri Schiavo's case, but not by the writing of this book. Too much repetition.
Debra
Sep 02, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Very one sided however it motivated me into research and then another book on the same case!
Gina Hott
Jul 11, 2012 Gina Hott rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
The book was compelling but so very heart wrenching.
Mskathy1031
Feb 21, 2013 Mskathy1031 rated it really liked it
No one will ever know the truth of what really happened
Cody
Aug 30, 2008 Cody rated it it was amazing
Good book for those that are pro-life.
Ruth
Apr 09, 2012 Ruth added it
Absolutely a great book.
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 31, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 18, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Jill Leach
Jill Leach rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 06, 2015
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Gloria
Gloria added it
Nov 16, 2015
Jasmine Stanford
Jasmine Stanford marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sumar
Sumar marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015