Start by marking “Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)

Shiny Water (Michael Stone #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In the suspense-charged tradition of Patricia Cornwell, Anna Salter draws from her professional expertise to introduce forensic psychologist Michael Stone, a sharply witty, courageous heroine who champions the victims of the most devastating crimes. Called to testify in a high-profile custody battle, Michael delivers a professional assessment that shocks her Vermont commun ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Shiny Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiny Water

Dr. Michael Stone is a forensic psychologist who champions the victims of crimes. In this case she has become involved in a custody battle. When Michael delivers her testimony which accuses a prominent, well-liked surgeon with child abuse, the community is shocked. The judge ignores her accusations and gives full custody to the father charging the mother with leading her children to a wrongful accusation. The very next day the children are murdered and none other than the mother is jailed.

Great debut novel for Anna Salter, although if reading about child molesters bothers you this would not be a book for you. Dr. Michael Stone (female) is a forensic psychologist who evaluates children who have claimed to have been molested prior to court cases. She also has a private practise where she counsels molested children. Sometimes like in the case of the Southworths divorce there isn't a really good parent to award custody too but she must make decisions. Dad was the molester but Mom is ...more
Actually a good crime novel which centered around the dark topic of child-abuse about as well as possible. (Not a spoiler-alert to the plot.) One frequent word usage error that proofreaders should have caught: The protagonist drank "ice tea" throughout the novel.
Dr. Michael Stone is a forensic psychiatrist. She evaluates children who have been abused and testifies in court on their behalf. She goes to court and recommends two children be given to their mother for custody but two days later they are dead, found at the mother's house after the father was awarded custody. Michael is horrified and wonders what went wrong and she investigates. Her life is complicated by her own issues: her extended family in North Carolina has their own issues and Michael is ...more
I shall give this book three stars because I like the fact that it is mostly set in Vermont--in the area where we have family. The title seems not to fit--shiny water is mentioned twice, but it seems as though a different title would be more suitable. The main character is Dr. Michael Stone--a woman, not a man. In the tv show Walton's Mountain, there was an actress named Michsel. If the character is going to be a woman, why not give her a feminine name. Supposedly, her father was drunk, thought ...more
This was in a box of books I was given, and it looks interesting, plus is the first in a series, so I'll give it a try.
Trina Knox
good story but some parts are way to wordy and off the topic she wanders and gives to much info .BLAH
Peggy Walker
This is the first review? I LOVE Anna Salter. Her heroine, Michael Stone, a female forensic psychologist is a fascinating character. My favorite thing about her is that after a devastating personal event she saves her sanity by simplifying her life. She lives out in the woods, and never allows herself to own more than 250 things. I just love playing with that idea...what would be essential...what I could live without. Her storytelling is wonderful as well. Highly recommended.
Kilmeny Gilmer
Loved Dr Michael Stone! A good read indeed!
By turns gripping, horrifying and funny, this debut novel is worth reading just to hear a truly new voice. A lot of the story takes in the main character's head, and I enjoyed listening to her self-deprecating inner dialogue. I could have done without the too-frequent basketball references, and I would have preferred more character development. Not a bad read, but not great either.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Had forgotten about this title, read a number of years ago. What I wrote then: Pretty good first-in-a-series, with a feisty, independent main character.

Would read another by this writer if I came across it.
Anna Salter writes intense and fast-paced investigation novels filled with the kind of psychological details that fans of Jonathan Kellerman often enjoy. This is the first of two books featuring Michael Stone.
 Ms. Crystal
I almost didn't read this book. I am glad I did. It was a great first novel and inspired me to read more from this author. The subject matter is a little squeemish but the heroine is great!!!
Jan 30, 2010 Lauriek rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Lauriek by: no one
A very serious subject and reality check set in a mystery. The characters are intriquing and have depth. It was one mystery I didn't solve at the beginning. I want to read more of her books
Lisa M.
OK read and interesitng if you want to learn about pedophiles (yuck); forensic psycologist who works with pedofiles/police (CSI like). It was a recommend from someone I know.
Kim Canich
this series is great - a bit hard to read sometimes at the more graphic parts. the protag though is believable, and the depth of psychological knowledge is amazing.
Janet Koehler
Interesting plot, great character development. Carlotta and Dr. Michael are two strong independent women. both professionals doing good work.
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at!
Allan Feldt
A perfect page-turning vacation read - an interesting, quirky heroine called Michael. For all the amateur psychiatrists - and aren't we all?
I figured out who the killer was before the protagonist did, but it still kept me reading. I might even look up her next book Fault Lines.
good book for A first book i really enjoyed it sad sometimes a really hard to read a ery good book
Sep 07, 2009 Eunira added it
First in the Michael Stone series - I've never seen a woman named Michael!
Very hard to read......good writing but really depressing subject!
Mystery about forensic psychologist Michael Stone
Michael Stone, psychologist/foresics
Really good mystery.
Sue Bradley
Sue Bradley marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Marc marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • The Red Scream
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Shattered Eye (November Man, #3)
  • Damn Straight (Lillian Byrd Crime Story, #2)
  • No Good Deed (Sonora Blair, #3)
  • The Batterer as Parent: Addressing the Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Dynamics
  • Weigh Down Diet
  • Thin Within
  • Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • Raising Abel
  • The Interview Room (Paul Lucas, #1)
  • Fascinating Stories of Forgotten Lives: Rediscovering Some Old Testament Characters
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
This is the Fiction books by author Anna C. Salter.
More about Anna Salter...

Michael Stone (4 books)
  • Fault Lines (Michael Stone, #2)
  • White Lies (Michael Stone, #3)
  • Prison Blues (Michael Stone, #4)