Start by marking “Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shiny Water (Michael Stone, #1)

Shiny Water (Michael Stone #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  184 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the suspense-charged tradition of Patricia Cornwell, Anna Salter draws from her professional expertise to introduce forensic psychologist Michael Stone, a sharply witty, courageous heroine who champions the victims of the most devastating crimes. Called to testify in a high-profile custody battle, Michael delivers a professional assessment that shocks her Vermont commun ...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Shiny Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiny Water

Dana
Feb 25, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it
Dr. Michael Stone is a forensic psychologist who champions the victims of crimes. In this case she has become involved in a custody battle. When Michael delivers her testimony which accuses a prominent, well-liked surgeon with child abuse, the community is shocked. The judge ignores her accusations and gives full custody to the father charging the mother with leading her children to a wrongful accusation. The very next day the children are murdered and none other than the mother is jailed.

Could
Diane
Aug 12, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
Great debut novel for Anna Salter, although if reading about child molesters bothers you this would not be a book for you. Dr. Michael Stone (female) is a forensic psychologist who evaluates children who have claimed to have been molested prior to court cases. She also has a private practise where she counsels molested children. Sometimes like in the case of the Southworths divorce there isn't a really good parent to award custody too but she must make decisions. Dad was the molester but Mom is ...more
Phhornbuckle
May 08, 2014 Phhornbuckle rated it liked it
Actually a good crime novel which centered around the dark topic of child-abuse about as well as possible. (Not a spoiler-alert to the plot.) One frequent word usage error that proofreaders should have caught: The protagonist drank "ice tea" throughout the novel.
Viccy
Jan 26, 2011 Viccy rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Dr. Michael Stone is a forensic psychiatrist. She evaluates children who have been abused and testifies in court on their behalf. She goes to court and recommends two children be given to their mother for custody but two days later they are dead, found at the mother's house after the father was awarded custody. Michael is horrified and wonders what went wrong and she investigates. Her life is complicated by her own issues: her extended family in North Carolina has their own issues and Michael is ...more
Marti
Aug 14, 2013 Marti rated it liked it
I shall give this book three stars because I like the fact that it is mostly set in Vermont--in the area where we have family. The title seems not to fit--shiny water is mentioned twice, but it seems as though a different title would be more suitable. The main character is Dr. Michael Stone--a woman, not a man. In the tv show Walton's Mountain, there was an actress named Michsel. If the character is going to be a woman, why not give her a feminine name. Supposedly, her father was drunk, thought ...more
Kit★
This was in a box of books I was given, and it looks interesting, plus is the first in a series, so I'll give it a try.
Trina Knox
Aug 04, 2014 Trina Knox rated it it was ok
good story but some parts are way to wordy and off the topic she wanders and gives to much info .BLAH
Peggy Walker
Feb 04, 2013 Peggy Walker rated it really liked it
This is the first review? I LOVE Anna Salter. Her heroine, Michael Stone, a female forensic psychologist is a fascinating character. My favorite thing about her is that after a devastating personal event she saves her sanity by simplifying her life. She lives out in the woods, and never allows herself to own more than 250 things. I just love playing with that idea...what would be essential...what I could live without. Her storytelling is wonderful as well. Highly recommended.
Kilmeny Gilmer
Aug 31, 2014 Kilmeny Gilmer rated it really liked it
Loved Dr Michael Stone! A good read indeed!
Barbi
Sep 14, 2012 Barbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By turns gripping, horrifying and funny, this debut novel is worth reading just to hear a truly new voice. A lot of the story takes in the main character's head, and I enjoyed listening to her self-deprecating inner dialogue. I could have done without the too-frequent basketball references, and I would have preferred more character development. Not a bad read, but not great either.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
Had forgotten about this title, read a number of years ago. What I wrote then: Pretty good first-in-a-series, with a feisty, independent main character.

Would read another by this writer if I came across it.
Ratforce
Anna Salter writes intense and fast-paced investigation novels filled with the kind of psychological details that fans of Jonathan Kellerman often enjoy. This is the first of two books featuring Michael Stone.
 Ms. Crystal
Jan 23, 2011 Ms. Crystal rated it liked it
I almost didn't read this book. I am glad I did. It was a great first novel and inspired me to read more from this author. The subject matter is a little squeemish but the heroine is great!!!
Lauriek
Jan 30, 2010 Lauriek rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Lauriek by: no one
A very serious subject and reality check set in a mystery. The characters are intriquing and have depth. It was one mystery I didn't solve at the beginning. I want to read more of her books
Lisa M.
Feb 08, 2008 Lisa M. rated it did not like it
OK read and interesitng if you want to learn about pedophiles (yuck); forensic psycologist who works with pedofiles/police (CSI like). It was a recommend from someone I know.
Kim Canich
Aug 08, 2012 Kim Canich rated it it was amazing
this series is great - a bit hard to read sometimes at the more graphic parts. the protag though is believable, and the depth of psychological knowledge is amazing.
Janet Koehler
Apr 09, 2011 Janet Koehler rated it it was amazing
Interesting plot, great character development. Carlotta and Dr. Michael are two strong independent women. both professionals doing good work.
Chamie
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Allan Feldt
Dec 30, 2012 Allan Feldt rated it really liked it
A perfect page-turning vacation read - an interesting, quirky heroine called Michael. For all the amateur psychiatrists - and aren't we all?
Elaine
Feb 10, 2011 Elaine rated it liked it
I figured out who the killer was before the protagonist did, but it still kept me reading. I might even look up her next book Fault Lines.
Serena
Aug 17, 2011 Serena rated it it was amazing
good book for A first book i really enjoyed it sad sometimes a really hard to read a ery good book
Eunira
Sep 07, 2009 Eunira added it
First in the Michael Stone series - I've never seen a woman named Michael!
Brandie
Jan 28, 2010 Brandie rated it it was ok
Very hard to read......good writing but really depressing subject!
Judith
Mar 19, 2008 Shelly rated it it was ok
chilling
Rosie
May 31, 2009 Rosie rated it liked it
good
Jocelyn
Jocelyn marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • Hancock Park (Kate Delafield, #8)
  • The Red Scream
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Hemingway's Notebook (November Man, #6)
  • Shield, Episodes 5-8 (Allie's War, #2)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Daddy's Girl
  • Thin Within
  • Unknown Means
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • No Good Deed (Sonora Blair, #3)
  • Damn Straight
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2004
  • The Silent Partner (Diagnosis Murder, #1)
  • Red Chameleon (Porfiry Rostnikov, #3)
  • Raising Abel
This is the Fiction books by author Anna C. Salter.
More about Anna Salter...

Michael Stone (4 books)
  • Fault Lines (Michael Stone, #2)
  • White Lies (Michael Stone, #3)
  • Prison Blues (Michael Stone, #4)