Start by marking “Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)

Dealing in Murder (Molly Doyle #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Elizabeth Porter was a top-of-the-line Manhattan antiques dealer until her ex-husband and his lover's flagrantly criminal scam left her reputation in tatters. Now, using a new name, Molly Doyle, she's starting over a continent away in a rundown antiques shop in cozy Carmel, California. Molly is determined to make the best of it. But the early antiques bird sometimes gets m...more
Published (first published October 28th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dealing in Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dealing in Murder

Jodi Reeves
Good book. Picked it up at a thrift store, and had to get the rest of the titles for the series. I enjoyed it, it kept me guessing, and looks like we might get a romance in the next book.
Rhonda
i'd give this a 3 1/2 if that were possible. i did enjoy the story and learned about the antique/art biz. the only real issue i had was the fact that molly was so quick to get furious. she was always throwing up her arms and even when she was holding back, she was seething inside. most of the time, i'd imagine a feeling of frustration or mild irritation would have sufficed, but she seemed to go from 0 to 60 in no time flat. she had mellowed by the end, and amusingly, she even commented that she...more
Eunira
This is the debut of a series. Molly is a spunky and fun heroine, down on her luck after her ex-husband's antiques fraud is exposed. Given the opportunity to start again at the bottom of the trade, she rolls up her sleeves and starts wheeling and dealing "merch" and exploring garage and estate sales for the inventory she'll need to rebuild her reputation. Stumbling into a murder, she meets an abrasive police chief, who will surely become constant in the next books.
Gloria Mccracken
I've accidentally been reading this series backwards. This, the third I've read is actually the first in the series. Even though I knew that some of the suspicious characters were, in fact, part of the protagonists eventual circle of good friends, it was still very enjoyable and entertaining, as all of them have been. They are not easy to find and I suspect there aren't very many of them, but I've found all of them interesting and enjoyable.
Judy
I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. I just picked it up at random at the library. The characters were strong and realistic. The antique business was interesting but not overwhelming. Kind of a turn around at end because Molly's first impression of several people didn't pan out. Kept my interest. The love interest between the heroine and the chief of police was full of sparks and conflicts.
Nancy
#1 Molly Doyle book. Carmel, antique dealer, goes to house to find key to desk she bought and woman dies in her arms. Police Chief Randall, DA Lucero, restauranteur Daria. Works for Max. Molly was accused in NY of selling fakes but was not guilty. Her husband and his lover were gulty.
Teresa
We read for the Mystery Book club. I'd actually give it more of a 3-1/2, but the stars don't allow for it. I thought it was a good read, just a little too long for my taste.
Joyce McKune
A nice quick read. Didn't always know who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. A good first book. Will try to find the next.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
May 01, 2012 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/305597-art-thriller
Shelves: mystery-genre
This was an interesting read. I liked the behind-the-scenes look at the antiques trade the most. The characters were fairly well-drawn.
Kristen
This is another good Molly Dolly cozy mystery dealing with antiques. The second out of 4 I believe. Good drama and suspense.
Dee
The book is set in my hometown, Carmel, California. It's not bad, as lightweight mysteries go.
Imogene (Gene)
Learned somethings about antique dealers
Karma
Awesome series
Allison Rasa
Allison Rasa marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Heather S.
Heather S. marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Terisa De Morgan
Terisa De Morgan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Brittany Burns
Brittany Burns marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Elaine Flinn, a former Bay Area antiques dealer, created Molly Doyle, a Carmel, CA, antiques dealer in Dealing in Murder, her 2003 debut novel that was nominated for an Agatha, Gumshoe, Barry and Anthony (2003). Tagged for Murder (2004) won the Barry Award. Two more Molly Doyle novels--Deadly Collection and Deadly Vintage followed.

Flin was one of the founding members of Murderati. And, it was duri...more
More about Elaine Flinn...
Tagged for Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #2) Deadly Collection (A Molly Doyle Mystery #3) Deadly Vintage (A Molly Doyle Mystery #4)