Start by marking “Down by the Bay” as Want to Read:
Down by the Bay

Down by the Bay

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Illus. in full color. "Bright, clear colors humorously portray the busy children, jolly animals, and frantic mothers that populate the song. Music (melody line, with chords marked) is included."--School Library Journal. ...more
Published December 12th 1988 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Down by the Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down by the Bay

Shanna Gonzalez
This is a silly, entirely enjoyable and lighthearted singing book, illustrated with two children trading turns to introduce the verses of this popular Raffi song (score included). Each verse is illustrated with the animal in the child's home. The song is particularly upbeat and fun for children, who can memorize the lyrics and sing it themselves; but the illustrations, while funny, are fairly average.

I especially enjoy this book paired with the version of the song performed by Eric Heatherly on
Dolly
Jun 26, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their little ones
Great book for the little ones. Short, easy to read and sing along with the Raffi song... We've read this one over and over and over again and it doesn't get old. As far as I'm concerned, that makes this a wonderful book!
Meg McGregor
Little ones love this song and they will love this book filled with wacky illustrations and even wackier creatures doing the wackiest things.

But I think it is just too much on each page. There is so much to look at your brain kind of goes into overload mode!
Kristina Moss
Down by the Bay by Raffi Cavoukian is a great book for young children. I love the way the author uses rhyming pattern to incorporate a silly song within.
Jill Stroup
Down by the Bay was one of my favorite children's books when growing up. I thought it was hilarious, and I still almost all of the different verses. This is another one of those books that can either be read or sung, which makes it easier for children to remember. This is a great book to read to preschool children, to help them understand the difference between realistic situations and fantasy situations. The literature is age appropriate and the picture provide a visual for the kids to see if t ...more
Tara
I LOVE this song. I think it works better as a song than a book. I like the illustrations but they are a bit too muted, especially considering the vibrancy of the song. I guess I didn't fall in love with this book because the song is imaginative and it's great to have your own image appear in your mind for each of the things that are down by the bay, which is better than having someone else's pictures presented for you.
Katie
I actually had no idea for the longest time that this was a book. I heard the song long before I read the story. Both are great for rhyming and you can incorporate the story into doing other activities. I have seen people have the children make the characters from the story as well as do the sing alongs.
Ginna
Awesome book!
I will use this book as a tool for rhyming! The book has silly rhymes and I can't wait to see what the children can come up with.
For example:
Use animal cards and help students to make a rhyme with the name of the animal (Did you ever see a cat wearing a ______? (hat))
Samantha Penrose
This has very cute pictures, and the music is included in the back....I just thought that the last couple of pages/last verse of the song was rather awkward.....They supply a non-rhyme for the "did you ever have a time when you couldn't make a rhyme" verse.
Lauren
Funny things happen down by the bay like a goose kissing a moose, a whale with a polka dot tail, a fly wearing a tie, a bear combing his hair, llamas eating pajamas, an apple wearing a bapple and orange eating a blouse.
Good for phonemic awareness.
Always one of my fav songs as a kid so when I saw it at the library I had to check it out. It's so fun watching Ella enjoy it. The pictures are really cute and the music is in the back so we can practice playing the song on her toy piano!
Tricia
Another option for Boogie Woogie books, this title is part of Raffi's "Songs to Read" series. When it comes to song books, Nadine Bernard Westcott is the premier illustrator, adding humor and bright colors in her supplement to the books.
Mary
If you want to sing, Raffi has a great song version of this book. The story just resinates rhyming and making up words. The illustrations draw the children to the page and the rhyming keeps them engaged.
Caitrin
This is a fun book to teach rhyming. The kids can read or sing it to the tune of the song "Down by the Bay". It shows the students examples of rhyming words through the story of a couple of kids' adventures.
Amanda Costa
This book is one that you are meant to sing along to. It is great for the parent because it helps them to remember, and share the songs from their youth.
Vivian
This song is great fun, whatever the setting -- story time, car rides, washing dishes. Use these verses and then make up your own!
Christi
The girls really liked it, especially PB. Same illustrator as "Farmer Brown Goes Round and Round", one of our all-time favorites.
Suki
I sang this to my 2 year old the first time she saw it. Now she doesn't want Daddy to read it because he doesn't know the tune!
Adelina
I grew up loving this song rhyme. The pictures in this book really bring it to life, and have entertained my daughters.
Clare
The kids love this book (and the sing along at story time). The story is silly and the illustrations are bright and cheery.
Cassie
Love this book!! I want to buy it for my little guy as well as the song that goes with it!!
Dana
I liked this b/c I can never remember the words to the song. Now I don't have to.
Deb King
Great for younger as well as younger toddlers. The song is very catchy!
Miri
This book made me so happy, and I've been singing the song all day.
Bonnie Pohlig
The pictures really add to the story and make the book interesting.
Kim
Features: rhyme, singing, beginning sounds (letter D)
Natalie
guaranteed giggle inducer
Kiarap
Kiarap marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • This is the House that Jack Built
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • Down by the Station
  • The Eensy-Weensy Spider
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • I Like It When . . .
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • It's Mine!
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • Puff, the Magic Dragon
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
Wheels on the Bus Baby Beluga Five Little Ducks Shake My Sillies Out Spider on the Floor