Start by marking “Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England” as Want to Read:
Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England

Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  229 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
In the 9th century Alfred the Great declared himself the first “king of England” and established a monarchy that has survived the shock of Norman invasion in the 11th century, the brutal vicissitudes of medieval kingship, civil war, and a transition into today’s constitutional monarchy. This expansive history offers elegant portraits of the 59 English monarchs who have hel ...more
Published September 4th 2008 by Quercus (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kings & Queens of England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kings & Queens of England

Orsolya
Although I live in the United States; I wouldn’t be able to list most of the US Presidents if you paid me. Yet, ask me the monarchs of England and I could list them (in order, mind you) even while half asleep. Ian Crofton provides a similar directory in, “Kings and Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England”.

“Kings and Queens of England” is a small, colorful, glossy-paged book which is fit for a reference shelf (albeit a thin one) or a coffee table. The structure is that
Diana Long
Jul 21, 2015 Diana Long rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book compiling the reigns of the British Monarchs. This book was a gift from my son and will be treasured for years to come as a reference book. I think Mr. Crofton's work speaks for itself once you open the cover and start to delve into the historical facts and photos of the people who ruled. The way it is set up with many photos of the monarchs and artifacts, stories, bios, time lines of important events pertaining to their reign and a brief history for each is outstanding. I would r ...more
Christine
Nov 11, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gives the reader detailed information about each ruler yet was concise enough to stay interesting. I find it is easier to "connect the dots" from ruler to ruler since reading this one! A great account of the major players and events that shaped the United Kingdom. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever wondered how it all happened without having to delve into too many details.
Michael
Absolutely love this stuff! I told my wife I could recite the names of all of the Kings and Queens of England from William the Conqueror to Elizabeth II and she said "yes, but please don't!" LOL
Brief biographies of all of the rulers of England mentioned above with art, pictures, and illustrations.
Garrett
Dec 17, 2009 Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A very good general overview. Would make a good coffee table book. Good color pictures and great timelines. A bit on the fluffy side, but as always for a book like this you wont get a lot of detail on specific monarchs just a good general picture of their reign.
I bought for a ref book, but ended up reading page by page, cover to cover. A quick read. Each queen & king has a bio. of several pages and a colored box that contains their pertinent facts; Born, Father, Mother, Married, Children & Spouses, Succeeded, Crowned, Royal House, Style, Died & Buried.

As with many of theses types of over-view books, there are biases of the the author. One thing that always bothers me, is that the spouses are rarely mentioned. Their stories deserve a book to
Audrey
Jan 10, 2009 Audrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book more tantalizing than anything. It doesn't content itself with being a book of short biographies, but it never quite manages to be anything else. The result was that it was constantly mentioning entire, fascinating issues in passing, as though I already knew everything about them. Moreover, it ignored questions which I consider important in the history of a monarchy. What, exactly was the role of an English monarch in 984? In 1370? Did England make a sudden shift to a completel ...more
Andrea Zuvich
Feb 18, 2014 Andrea Zuvich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I found the section on Charles I rather biased against him, and the relationship of William & Mary oversimplified, I must commend the writer for acknowledging that the homosexual claims about William III are 'without evidence' - which is the case. This is a gorgeous book, and I think it's a great addition to any history lover's bookshelf.
Marilyn
I do not remember why I had initially given this book only 4 stars. Perhaps that was a typo. I have been famous for those. ;-. Having said that, this book is beautifully illustrated, and gives a fair amount of information concerning the Kings and Queens of England from Alfred the Great, to Queen Elizabeth II. It is also a great coffee table book, if you are not in to delving into Britain's monarchy in depth. I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in this subjec ...more
Jeffrey  Sylvester
"The Kings and Queens of England" by Ian Crofton is a fun book. I bought it as a bedside read and because the book is divided into easy-to-chew sections for that purpose. Another reason was that it includes a section on the Anglo-Saxon and Norse kings that preceded 1066, which for me, the order and significance of which have always been murky. It was also nice review of the subsequent dynasties and the links between them.

Information-wise, the book is sufficient, but readers who already have a b
Tiago "Salvador" Souza
As a list of kings & queens, this is a rather nice book. The visuals are good, the reading pleasant and the timelines are helpful, with some quick tidbits here and there. Now history wise, it is rather dull, oversimplified at times, with a lot of the author's personal opinions sometimes being presented in the same tone as the other "facts". The lack of references for further research is another point where this book falls short.
Julie
May 25, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I bought this as a bargain book and found myself pouring over the pages. This all-encompassing history of England’s monarchs is perfectly outlined, both in its chronology and its definition of separate family lines. I found the side-bar timelines helpful and the illustrations and pictures beautiful. This is a great reference book for any fan of English history.
Jillianne Hamilton
Like many have said already, this book gives a brief but comprehensive general outline of each ruler's background, challenges and reign. As someone who knows about one historical era, it was great for connecting the dots. Also includes some amusing historical anecdotes that keep the book entertaining.
Love, love, love this one!
Shannon
Jan 17, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book enough. When I found it at the bookstore I fell in love with it right then. An incredible book to read. It gives detailed descriptions of each ruler, whilst also providing timelines, pictures and quotes. I would definantly recommend this book to anyone.
Stacey
Oct 13, 2008 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Kevin brought this book home for me from his trip to London. I have this thing about English Historical fiction, and this book makes it easy to keep all the different kings straight! I have thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Meagan
Jul 03, 2013 Meagan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I really love this book. My only critique is its lack of maps. If it had had maps detailing the acquisition and loss of land that occurred throughout each of the reigns I think it would have been perfect.
Kristin Mack
Jul 29, 2013 Kristin Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to keep this book next to me as I read novels about the monarchy. It helps me follow the lineage and remember who's who and what year! Fact checking or reading facts, I can't get enough.
Craig
Jan 17, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, concise look at all the English monarchs, including those before the Norman conquest. Each chapter is only a few pages, but does contain an informative write up-about each person.
Kevin
Apr 16, 2008 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A great history and reminder of the major happenings, accomplishments and problems caused by each English King and Queen. A fantastic reference/fantastic pictures.
kato
Apr 03, 2008 kato rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: academics who skin texts
This book was painfully dull, and I barely got through it. It is very informational, but the author would be hard pressed to make it more dry that it already is.
Angie Andrus
Sep 24, 2013 Angie Andrus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent quick reference book. As a person who particularly enjoys historical fiction, I found it extremely useful to divise fact from fiction.
Lori Roberts
Jan 08, 2013 Lori Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not greatly detailed, but full of information none-the-less. Good pictures/drawings/photos, decent timelines and quotations. Lovely book!
Barbara Lynn Johnson
The book, "The Kings & Queens Of England" was interesting read and I'd enjoyed reading the book.
Lamarr
Sep 02, 2013 Lamarr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I didn't know that this was history, I'd swear I was reading Game Of Thrones.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
really interesting read, kind of like cliff notes for kings and queens!!
Regan
May 08, 2008 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent king by king (or Queen) history -- good quick reference.
Georgesear
Good reference book.
Marcleitson Leitson
yes, I am reading 3 books at one time...not unusual for me.
Rachael
Jul 07, 2008 Rachael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bargain table at Border Express for 9.99!
  • To Be a Princess: The Fascinating Lives of Real Princesses
  • Warriors of Medieval Japan
  • Christmas in Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan
  • The Great Thoughts
  • Curses! Broiled Again!
  • Oxford Latin Course: Part I
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been (What If, #1-2)
  • Doomed Queens: Royal Women Who Met Bad Ends, From Cleopatra to Princess Di
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • Richard I (English Monarchs)
  • The Death of Kings: A Medical History of the Kings and Queens of England
  • Courtesans: The Demi-Monde in Nineteenth Century France
  • At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • The Riddle and the Knight: In Search of Sir John Mandeville, the World's Greatest Traveler