Start by marking “Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England” as Want to Read:
Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England

Kings & Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In the 9th century Alfred the Great declared himself the first “king of England” and established a monarchy that has survived the shock of Norman invasion in the 11th century, the brutal vicissitudes of medieval kingship, civil war, and a transition into today’s constitutional monarchy. This expansive history offers elegant portraits of the 59 English monarchs who have hel ...more
Published September 4th 2008 by Quercus (first published February 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kings & Queens of England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kings & Queens of England

Orsolya
Although I live in the United States; I wouldn’t be able to list most of the US Presidents if you paid me. Yet, ask me the monarchs of England and I could list them (in order, mind you) even while half asleep. Ian Crofton provides a similar directory in, “Kings and Queens of England: The Lives and Reigns of the Monarchs of England”.

“Kings and Queens of England” is a small, colorful, glossy-paged book which is fit for a reference shelf (albeit a thin one) or a coffee table. The structure is that
Michael
Absolutely love this stuff! I told my wife I could recite the names of all of the Kings and Queens of England from William the Conqueror to Elizabeth II and she said "yes, but please don't!" LOL
Brief biographies of all of the rulers of England mentioned above with art, pictures, and illustrations.
Christine
This book gives the reader detailed information about each ruler yet was concise enough to stay interesting. I find it is easier to "connect the dots" from ruler to ruler since reading this one! A great account of the major players and events that shaped the United Kingdom. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever wondered how it all happened without having to delve into too many details.
Garrett
A very good general overview. Would make a good coffee table book. Good color pictures and great timelines. A bit on the fluffy side, but as always for a book like this you wont get a lot of detail on specific monarchs just a good general picture of their reign.
Audrey
I found this book more tantalizing than anything. It doesn't content itself with being a book of short biographies, but it never quite manages to be anything else. The result was that it was constantly mentioning entire, fascinating issues in passing, as though I already knew everything about them. Moreover, it ignored questions which I consider important in the history of a monarchy. What, exactly was the role of an English monarch in 984? In 1370? Did England make a sudden shift to a completel ...more
Andrea Zuvich
Although I found the section on Charles I rather biased against him, and the relationship of William & Mary oversimplified, I must commend the writer for acknowledging that the homosexual claims about William III are 'without evidence' - which is the case. This is a gorgeous book, and I think it's a great addition to any history lover's bookshelf.
Marilyn
I do not remember why I had initially given this book only 4 stars. Perhaps that was a typo. I have been famous for those. ;-. Having said that, this book is beautifully illustrated, and gives a fair amount of information concerning the Kings and Queens of England from Alfred the Great, to Queen Elizabeth II. It is also a great coffee table book, if you are not in to delving into Britain's monarchy in depth. I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in this subjec ...more
Jeffrey  Sylvester
"The Kings and Queens of England" by Ian Crofton is a fun book. I bought it as a bedside read and because the book is divided into easy-to-chew sections for that purpose. Another reason was that it includes a section on the Anglo-Saxon and Norse kings that preceded 1066, which for me, the order and significance of which have always been murky. It was also nice review of the subsequent dynasties and the links between them.

Information-wise, the book is sufficient, but readers who already have a b
Tiago "Salvador" Souza
As a list of kings & queens, this is a rather nice book. The visuals are good, the reading pleasant and the timelines are helpful, with some quick tidbits here and there. Now history wise, it is rather dull, oversimplified at times, with a lot of the author's personal opinions sometimes being presented in the same tone as the other "facts". The lack of references for further research is another point where this book falls short.
Julie
I bought this as a bargain book and found myself pouring over the pages. This all-encompassing history of England’s monarchs is perfectly outlined, both in its chronology and its definition of separate family lines. I found the side-bar timelines helpful and the illustrations and pictures beautiful. This is a great reference book for any fan of English history.
Jillianne Hamilton
Like many have said already, this book gives a brief but comprehensive general outline of each ruler's background, challenges and reign. As someone who knows about one historical era, it was great for connecting the dots. Also includes some amusing historical anecdotes that keep the book entertaining.
Love, love, love this one!
Shannon
I can't recommend this book enough. When I found it at the bookstore I fell in love with it right then. An incredible book to read. It gives detailed descriptions of each ruler, whilst also providing timelines, pictures and quotes. I would definantly recommend this book to anyone.
Stacey
Kevin brought this book home for me from his trip to London. I have this thing about English Historical fiction, and this book makes it easy to keep all the different kings straight! I have thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Meagan
I really love this book. My only critique is its lack of maps. If it had had maps detailing the acquisition and loss of land that occurred throughout each of the reigns I think it would have been perfect.
Kristin Mack
I love to keep this book next to me as I read novels about the monarchy. It helps me follow the lineage and remember who's who and what year! Fact checking or reading facts, I can't get enough.
Craig
A good, concise look at all the English monarchs, including those before the Norman conquest. Each chapter is only a few pages, but does contain an informative write up-about each person.
Kevin
A great history and reminder of the major happenings, accomplishments and problems caused by each English King and Queen. A fantastic reference/fantastic pictures.
kato
Apr 03, 2008 kato rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: academics who skin texts
This book was painfully dull, and I barely got through it. It is very informational, but the author would be hard pressed to make it more dry that it already is.
Angie Andrus
Excellent quick reference book. As a person who particularly enjoys historical fiction, I found it extremely useful to divise fact from fiction.
Lori Roberts
Not greatly detailed, but full of information none-the-less. Good pictures/drawings/photos, decent timelines and quotations. Lovely book!
Barbara Lynn Johnson
The book, "The Kings & Queens Of England" was interesting read and I'd enjoyed reading the book.
Lamarr
If I didn't know that this was history, I'd swear I was reading Game Of Thrones.
Siobhan O' Sullivan
really interesting read, kind of like cliff notes for kings and queens!!
Regan
Excellent king by king (or Queen) history -- good quick reference.
Marcleitson Leitson
yes, I am reading 3 books at one time...not unusual for me.
Rachael
Jul 07, 2008 Rachael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bargain table at Border Express for 9.99!
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
  • Warriors of Medieval Japan
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols: Identification, Analysis and Interpretation of the Visual Codes and the Subconscious Language That ... and Describes Our Thoughts and Emotions
  • Oxford Latin Course: Part I
  • Courtesans: The Demi-Monde in Nineteenth Century France
  • William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • To Kill Rasputin: The Life and Death of Gregori Rasputin
  • The Collected What If? Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been (What If, #1-2)
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • The Riddle and the Knight: In Search of Sir John Mandeville, the World's Greatest Traveler
  • Unnatural Murder: Poison in the Court of James I
  • The Course of Irish History
  • The Discovery of King Arthur
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Ceasar to the Last Emperor
  • Great Tales from English History, Vol 2: Joan of Arc, the Princes in the Tower, Bloody Mary, Oliver Cromwell, Sir Isaac Newton & More
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity (Oxford Illustrated Histories)
History Without the Boring Bits Big Ideas In Brief: 200 World-Changing Concepts Explained In An Instant World History 50 Key Milestones You Really Need to Know Traitors & Turncoats A Curious History of Food and Drink