Start by marking “What Do You Say When . . .: Talking to People with Confidence on Any Social or Business Occasion” as Want to Read:

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Have you ever walked alone into a room of chattering people and felt nervous? Is the idea of attending a wedding or job interview where you won't know many people intimidating? The art of conversation is a necessary skill for navigating life’s social and business occasions, and with practice you can develop the ability to easily talk to people. What Do You Say When ... is ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Potter Style (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Say When . . ., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Say When . . .

Alia_ijm
Jan 19, 2014 Alia_ijm rated it really liked it
Shelves:
The title of the book speaks for itself "What Do You Say when.." - it provides useful information and ideas regarding social etiquette and communication. It basically gives the reader tips to enhance his or her communication skills and to overcome social anxiety along with any other difficulty related to conversations. Since the book is written by an expert on relationships and effective communication, it is very much relatable. It is also simple, short, and easy to read. However, only courageou ...more
Alison
Aug 19, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
This slim book gave me more confidence about how to be socially competent. It's basic information, but I liked her examples. The book helped me remember to listen and ask questions about the other person, which can lead to very interesting conversations.
J
Aug 19, 2012 J rated it it was amazing
Short book (about 150 pages) with advice on starting and maintaining conversations. The first couple chapters provide a good overview. Each following chapter is dedicated to a specific type of social situation and the appropriate things to say (or not say!).

I found this a handy little book. I read from front to back and found the chapters that didn’t apply to me a bit boring - not surprisingly. But, the chapters that did apply to me had some great insights and tips. Well worth my time to read.

Th
Morgan
Sep 17, 2015 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a nice, brief guide to topics and conversational strategies for any social or business setting. I wish someone had given this to me when I graduated from high school.
Jessica
Sep 17, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Simple and concise. For the socially awkward or simply someone wanting some ideas on conversation ideas for an upcoming gathering. I thought the authors tips for interviewing and for teaching children good conversation skills were very helpful. I was very impressed with the insightfulness, wit, and kindness the author displayed. This book has already helped me feel more confident in social situations and I plan on briefly referring to it before conferences, showers, family gatherings, speaking t ...more
Tecni
Apr 11, 2013 Tecni rated it liked it
He de comentar este libro porque sé que a algunas personas les va a gustar. Lo escribe una señora que se pasa la vida en viajes de crucero jugando al bridge y otros eventos sociales comparables, y se puede resumir en: cuando llegues a cualquier sitio, sonríe, sé políticamente correcto, interésate por todo lo que no sea personal, político o religioso, y pasa de esta manera zombi por la vida hasta que seas el más popular del cementerio.

Le pongo 3 estrellas porque tiene un apartado específico sobre
Susie
Aug 05, 2009 Susie rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
I stole this book about how to make conversation from my mom (we both tend to be shy in social settings). Unfortunately, I didn’t think its advice was very useful. For example, there’s a passage where the author suggests this opening when meeting the Dalai Lama: “You’ve done so much for humanity, it’s an honor to meet you. You must be so busy. How do you manage your time?” Seriously. I gave it three stars instead of two because there’s a section at the end about how to talk to people who are gri ...more
Candice
Learned while reading this book how socially awkward I am. On the bright side, I was only 60 pages into the book before I had an opportunity to use a bit of what I learned and I think I did a lot better thanks to some of the suggestions in the book. It was a pretty easy, quick read and I got a lot out of it. The real question is will I continue trying to talk to people or crawl back into my shell?
She-Rah
Mar 13, 2011 She-Rah rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Well written. Didn't learn too much, seemed like common sense stuff, so maybe that just means I'm not such a bad conversationalist as I thought. :)
Fullfaun
Dec 21, 2015 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
on page 56 of the book. Have to return it.
A great read for high school kids through adults.
Diana
Jul 09, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, zzz-2011
Supposedly covers every situation, but really seemed to be only for business people networking.
Chica
Chica marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Carina Castaldo
Carina Castaldo marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Emanii20
Emanii20 is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Austin Cui
Austin Cui rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Gumby
Gumby marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Meinhard Meintjes
Meinhard Meintjes marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Athar Khan
Athar Khan rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Tara
Tara added it
Jan 22, 2016
Lokesh Walase
Lokesh Walase marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Anemona Selegean
Anemona Selegean rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Lindsey Smith
Lindsey Smith marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Tiger
Tiger marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Glenda Walsh crouse
Glenda Walsh crouse rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2015
Roly Frisancho
Roly Frisancho marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015