Start by marking “What Do You Say When . . .: Talking to People with Confidence on Any Social or Business Occasion” as Want to Read:

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Have you ever walked alone into a room of chattering people and felt nervous? Is the idea of attending a wedding or job interview where you won't know many people intimidating? The art of conversation is a necessary skill for navigating life’s social and business occasions, and with practice you can develop the ability to easily talk to people. What Do You Say When ... is ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Potter Style (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Say When . . ., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Say When . . .

Alia_ijm
The title of the book speaks for itself "What Do You Say when.." - it provides useful information and ideas regarding social etiquette and communication. It basically gives the reader tips to enhance his or her communication skills and to overcome social anxiety along with any other difficulty related to conversations. Since the book is written by an expert on relationships and effective communication, it is very much relatable. It is also simple, short, and easy to read. However, only courageou ...more
Alison
This slim book gave me more confidence about how to be socially competent. It's basic information, but I liked her examples. The book helped me remember to listen and ask questions about the other person, which can lead to very interesting conversations.
J
Short book (about 150 pages) with advice on starting and maintaining conversations. The first couple chapters provide a good overview. Each following chapter is dedicated to a specific type of social situation and the appropriate things to say (or not say!).

I found this a handy little book. I read from front to back and found the chapters that didn’t apply to me a bit boring - not surprisingly. But, the chapters that did apply to me had some great insights and tips. Well worth my time to read.

Th
Jessica
Simple and concise. For the socially awkward or simply someone wanting some ideas on conversation ideas for an upcoming gathering. I thought the authors tips for interviewing and for teaching children good conversation skills were very helpful. I was very impressed with the insightfulness, wit, and kindness the author displayed. This book has already helped me feel more confident in social situations and I plan on briefly referring to it before conferences, showers, family gatherings, speaking t ...more
Tecni
He de comentar este libro porque sé que a algunas personas les va a gustar. Lo escribe una señora que se pasa la vida en viajes de crucero jugando al bridge y otros eventos sociales comparables, y se puede resumir en: cuando llegues a cualquier sitio, sonríe, sé políticamente correcto, interésate por todo lo que no sea personal, político o religioso, y pasa de esta manera zombi por la vida hasta que seas el más popular del cementerio.

Le pongo 3 estrellas porque tiene un apartado específico sobre
Susie
Aug 05, 2009 Susie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
I stole this book about how to make conversation from my mom (we both tend to be shy in social settings). Unfortunately, I didn’t think its advice was very useful. For example, there’s a passage where the author suggests this opening when meeting the Dalai Lama: “You’ve done so much for humanity, it’s an honor to meet you. You must be so busy. How do you manage your time?” Seriously. I gave it three stars instead of two because there’s a section at the end about how to talk to people who are gri ...more
Candice
Learned while reading this book how socially awkward I am. On the bright side, I was only 60 pages into the book before I had an opportunity to use a bit of what I learned and I think I did a lot better thanks to some of the suggestions in the book. It was a pretty easy, quick read and I got a lot out of it. The real question is will I continue trying to talk to people or crawl back into my shell?
She-Rah
Well written. Didn't learn too much, seemed like common sense stuff, so maybe that just means I'm not such a bad conversationalist as I thought. :)
Diana
Supposedly covers every situation, but really seemed to be only for business people networking.
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Roly Frisancho
Roly Frisancho marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Ben Powell
Ben Powell marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Aysha
Aysha marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Patrik
Patrik marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jana
Jana is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Saralyn
Saralyn marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Prashanth C
Prashanth C marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Just a Note to Say . . .: The Perfect Words for Every Occasion Business Notes: Writing Personal Notes That Build Professional Relationships Toxic Friends True Friends: How Your Friendships Can Make or Break Your Health, Happiness, Family, and Career My Deepest Sympathies...: Meaningful Sentiments for Condolence Notes and Conversations, Plus a Guide to Eulogies What Do You Say When . . .